Non-UConn Recruiting Information | Page 33 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What are you talking about? They are all in the Top 30 with Walker #1, Coombs #13, Espinoza-Hunter #16, and Gordon #29. That's not elite?
It's a very good class, but not Stewie, Morgan and Moriah good. Nor is it Tamika, Ashja, Swin, Sue and Kiersten good. Nor is it Collier, Samuelson, and Boykin good. I guess you could throw around the "elite" status to include our incoming class, but when you have one top 3 kid, one top 15 kid, and a pair of kids who are in the top 20-30 range, it's just not elite to me (Prospects Nation has Lexi at 22 and Hunter at 32).

It may be splitting hairs, but I would call the classes of Stewie, Bird, and KLS all "elite". Every one of those recruits were top 10. ALL of them. Except for Sue, who was rated about 20 because she spurned playing for Mike Flynn's AAU team and he "punished" her by ranking her lower. And I think Kiersten Walters was around 15.

The class we have coming in is a great class, one of the best in the nation. But not on par with the other 3 classes I mentioned. IMHO. :)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Who said it would scare off a post player?

This is what happens when you have a class like UConn did this year with Walker, Coombs, Gordon, and Espinoza-Hunter. Most recruits don't want to go somewhere and sit on the bench for four years. The same thing happened after the class of Stewart, Jefferson, and Tuck when Chong was the only recruit we landed.

You didn't say it would scare off a post player, but you suggested recruits would be hesitant to go to UConn following the '17 class. I could see 2 guards or small forwards looking elsewhere for a few years, but otherwise PT should be available over the next 2 years as Gabby, Nurse, Stevens, Collier and KLS move on. UConn actually should be very attractive to post players in the near future.

Reaction Score
It's a very good class, but not Stewie, Morgan and Moriah good. Nor is it Tamika, Ashja, Swin, Sue and Kiersten good. Nor is it Collier, Samuelson, and Boykin good. I guess you could throw around the "elite" status to include our incoming class, but when you have one top 3 kid, one top 15 kid, and a pair of kids who are in the top 20-30 range, it's just not elite to me (Prospects Nation has Lexi at 22 and Hunter at 32).

It may be splitting hairs, but I would call the classes of Stewie, Bird, and KLS all "elite". Every one of those recruits were top 10. ALL of them. Except for Sue, who was rated about 20 because she spurned playing for Mike Flynn's AAU team and he "punished" her by ranking her lower. And I think Kiersten Walters was around 15.

The class we have coming in is a great class, one of the best in the nation. But not on par with the other 3 classes I mentioned. IMHO. :)

Honestly, this year's class in very similar to the Samuelson, Collier, and Boykin class. Both have consensus #1 players, Collier was #6 but Coombs #13 and Espinoza-Hunter #16 even that out, and Boykin #23 and Gordon #29 are close.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
To clarify my earlier posts, I'm not intending this as any kind of commentary on Charli Collier's decommit.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Honestly, this year's class in very similar to the Samuelson, Collier, and Boykin class. Both have consensus #1 players, Collier was #6 but Coombs #13 and Espinoza-Hunter #16 even that out, and Boykin #23 and Gordon #29 are close.

In hindsight Collier probably should've been ranked #1 which is something I suggested at the time.

Reaction Score
I can see how the recent disaster in Texas could have factored into Collier's decision-making. She was by her own posts involved in relief efforts. And it's generally true that after such a devastating event there is widespread despair and feelings of helplessness that are pervasive. Community and family concerns get magnified, especially to the young.

All the best to Collier. Texas is a fine institution.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I agree, I am just basing this on rankings prior to UConn.

I know. Just saying UConn might've gotten the two best players in the '15 class. Maybe that'll happen this year but the odds aren't super high. Going to be hard to match KLS and Collier.

Reaction Score
I can see how the recent disaster in Texas could have factored into Collier's decision-making. She was by her own posts involved in relief efforts. And it's generally true that after such a devastating event there is widespread despair and feelings of helplessness that are pervasive. Community and family concerns get magnified, especially to the young.

Agree will all you said, except for your last statement. Texas sucks, and needs to be taught a lesson. January 15. Be there.

Reaction Score
Agree will all you said, except for your last statement. Texas sucks, and needs to be taught a lesson. January 15. Be there.

I was referring to the school as an institution of learning. As far as athletics I get nauseous every time I hear "The Eyes of Texas" or see the "Hook em Horns" gesture. :)

Reaction Score

isn't it a bit premature to judge this incoming class? How about giving them a few years before you place a number on them..........for all we know AEH could end up being one of the greatest outside shooters in UConn history, MC could be the second coming of Kia Nurse, Megan Williams could end up being one of the greatest leaders and clutch shooters in the game.............at this point their rankings mean nothing............their reputations will be made on the court...................

Reaction Score
isn't it a bit premature to judge this incoming class? How about giving them a few years before you place a number on them.....for all we know AEH could end up being one of the greatest outside shooters in UConn history, MC could be the second coming of Kia Nurse, Megan Williams could end up being one of the greatest leaders and clutch shooters in the game...at this point their rankings mean nothing..their reputations will be made on the court....
Megan who????

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
isn't it a bit premature to judge this incoming class? How about giving them a few years before you place a number on them.....for all we know AEH could end up being one of the greatest outside shooters in UConn history, MC could be the second coming of Kia Nurse, Megan Williams could end up being one of the greatest leaders and clutch shooters in the game...at this point their rankings mean nothing..their reputations will be made on the court....

Charlie, I agree with your suggestion about giving them some time to develop first. You can't tell what kind of fruit a seed will bear until you plant it, nurture it, and allow it to grow and mature. It's just that we're all chomping at the bit, ready for the season to start. I'm guessing that the majority of the BY contingent is having "champagne wishes and caviar dreams" about this class of freshmen.

We want so very much for them to be an EXTRA SPECIAL class, and live up to their "hype". To validate the staff's decision to recruit them. To not only carry on the tradition of the UConn women's basketball program, but magnify it as well. A class that not only will go down in the annals of UConn lore, but one WCBB fans will be talking and marveling about for years to come.

We have the Bart Scott "itis". We can't wait for the season to begin. Some of us are wearing adult bibs, because we're salivating profusely in anticipation of that November 1 match up with the Fort Hays State Tigers to begin the season.

But before the season starts, there's Geno's preseason Boot Camp for freshmen. It's been a long hot dry summer. The disappointing news we received this week didn't help either. We're ready for some UConn women's basketball. Once the season begins, and we get that first game behind us, our focus and concerns will shift to how they played the last game, who's next, and what the girls need to do to win THAT one. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score

Ironically, I was thinking that these awful storms would have a negative effect on future recruiting in Texas and Florida, especially with global warming supposedly bringing more and more mega storms our way

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I guess I still have Morgan William on the brain

Fear not, they have meds for that!! :) Two weeks into the season, you'll will have forgotten all about her.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Oops. She was kinda looking around like "nobody saw that did they?" Now the whole world has an opportunity to see it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She needs to watch the WNBA video of Tina Charles on the treadmill. Intensity!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not at all. incoming classes are judged all the time. Just look at the individual rankings by many services as well as at least the ESPN ranking service. Just like we don't judge a pro career based on college performance, and we don't base a college career based on high school performance. But as far as "incoming" classes go, ours is great, just not as elite as others we've had.

Of course our freshmen have 4 years to write their own history of accomplishments while at UCONN, just like KLS and Napheesa are halfway done with theirs. But... "judging" the classes based on what they did in high school, experiences for team USA, and their rankings, it's not unfair to compare them to other classes. It's done all the time...

Reaction Score
Not at all. incoming classes are judged all the time. Just look at the individual rankings by many services as well as at least the ESPN ranking service. Just like we don't judge a pro career based on college performance, and we don't base a college career based on high school performance. But as far as "incoming" classes go, ours is great, just not as elite as others we've had.

Of course our freshmen have 4 years to write their own history of accomplishments while at UCONN, just like KLS and Napheesa are halfway done with theirs. But... "judging" the classes based on what they did in high school, experiences for team USA, and their rankings, it's not unfair to compare them to other classes. It's done all the time...

Eric - I have no problem ranking recruiting classes in terms solely relating to their high school/AAU careers........................my point is that it really means nothing once they are on a college campus..............as is the case with Tennesse or Louisville for example, great recruiting classes don't necessarily translate to great college teams................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom