Non UConn College WBB News | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Non UConn College WBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Whether it was disgusting or not depends on one's point of view. I was watching that game live. The "pick" was not called because the Tennessee player was not moving or leaning when Atkins ran into her. She simply stopped, and Atkins ran into her. Picks are legal if you set them properly. That one was set properly. It's part of the game. As you know, picks are run in every game, at every level throughout the season. This pick just happened to be set in an area of the floor where players don't expect them to be.

I understand the basis of setting a pick and I have no problem with players setting picks because it's part of the game. That one in particular, though it was deemed legal, should have been an offensive foul the way it was intentionally set up. Just my opinion.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I understand the basis of setting a pick and I have no problem with players setting picks because it's part of the game. That one in particular, though it was deemed legal, should have been an offensive foul the way it was intentionally set up. Just my opinion.

Looking at it, I don't think it was planned. The TN player saw her player coming up the court, and stopped, hoping maybe her teammate could/would run Atkins into her, she did. Perspective is everything. I don't think there was anything wrong with THAT pick. If it had been the other way around, of even if it had been set by an opposing team playing UConn, it (in my opinion) was a good pick. Atkins' was so focused on the guard bring the ball up, she didn't see the TN player stop. The Texas guard did, and ran her into it. I've been on both sides of that type of pick, ouch! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
It would not surprise me if Westbrook and Megan Walker were BOTH selected as All-Americans by the end of their JUNIOR year. Westbrook is good now. If you can't see it, you're not watching. Because she starts, she'll get starter's minutes and thereby improve leaps and bounds by the end of the season in spite of Warlick.
The players around her will help mature her game and decision making. I made the same prediction about Brianna Turner of Notre Dame during her freshman year, I was wrong. She was named an AA the next year. :cool:
I agree.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I just rechecked Nan's Boneyard do's and don't's before posting this. The post below does not appear to violate any of the rules mentioned, so here goes. This was a comment taken from ESPN's conversation board after Tennessee's 82-75 win over Texas Dec 10 that I ran across.

"You UConn trollers make me laugh..It's like watching fox news weekend. If Tennessee wins it was because their opponent stunk, if Tennessee loses it's because Tn sucks. You're scared and it shows...You all just crapped your pants...We can smell it all the way from Storrs to hear in Knoxvill."

It appears that there is still some hostility in the hearts of some of the Volunteer faithful. As the late Dick Enberg would say......................oh my. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Westbrook seems to have baptized herself as the "dirty player" who picks up technicals and I suspect she'll do Nared's bidding.

Well, her and Mercedes Russell both. Russell will be doing her patented illegal hip check on the high ball screen which she somehow got away with all game against Texas.

Where has Westbrook established herself as a dirty player?......??...?? I know that we hate all things LadyVols @ the boneyard but this is?
Nared is not a dirty player nor is Russell. Westbrook is just getting started. Post a link where she is being a dirty player.

I have not seen anything dirty about her play. She blocked a shot and reveled in the moment (is that what you are talking about?). You've got to love the competitive spirit of this young lady. She is not dirty.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Where has Westbrook established herself as a dirty player?.??...?? I know that we hate all things LadyVols @ the boneyard but this is?
Nared is not a dirty player nor is Russell. Westbrook is just getting started. Post a link where she is being a dirty player.

I have not seen anything dirty about her play. She blocked a shot and reveled in the moment (is that what you are talking about?). You've got to love the competitive spirit of this young lady. She is not dirty.
Dirty may be too strong of a word. She also physically pushed away a Texas player who took exception to being shoved by Meme Jackson. Her general demeanor toward her opponents is often disrespectful. I also observed this in the Cancun games. Interestingly, though, I did not observe this in the Stanford game. Who knows, maybe she learned something from nearly costing her team the game against Texas.

Her "competitive spirit" is fine. But the implication that one isn't competitive if she's not picking up technicals and unnecessarily pushing opponents during dead ball situations is one I don't agree with. There is also a big difference between celebrating a great play and taunting/demeaning the opponent.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Post a link. "Her demeanor towards opponents is disrespectful"?? ------------>Whatever your are describing I bet Geno is all for it. I seem to remember last year complaining that his team was nasty enough, too nice. Geno has no civility towards his opponents.

On Geno's lack of civility towards Muffet: "Sometimes we act like girls, like we're supposed to go to dinner every night??
We're supposed to play each other, try to beat each other's brains in, try to win a national championship and compete like hell. And then we're supposed to get together afterwards and go have a bottle of wine? That s--- is just not going to happen."

DT3 is known for her "competitive spirit". To some she is plain and simple a dirty player.

Show me something Westbrook should be criticized for and I will raise you with examples of DT's competitiveness that is praised.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Post a link. "Her demeanor towards opponents is disrespectful"?? ------------>Whatever your are describing I bet Geno is all for it. I seem to remember last year complaining that his team was nasty enough, too nice. Geno has no civility towards his opponents.

On Geno's lack of civility towards Muffet: "Sometimes we act like girls, like we're supposed to go to dinner every night??
We're supposed to play each other, try to beat each other's brains in, try to win a national championship and compete like hell. And then we're supposed to get together afterwards and go have a bottle of wine? That s--- is just not going to happen."

DT3 is known for her "competitive spirit". To some she is plain and simple a dirty player.

Show me something Westbrook should be criticized for and I will raise you with examples of DT's competitiveness that is praised.
These are my own impressions, not something I read in an article. You're free to disagree; such is the nature of opinion. But even the Vols fans have been praising her using terms like "nasty edge" (which of course they mean in a positive sense).

Geno likes fiercely competitive players, but when was the last time a UConn player—much less a UConn freshman—was T'ed up for taunting?

But hey, if she wants to get all excited because she blocked the shot of a 5'4" player, who am I to criticize her.

Carnac

Reaction Score
FOY: Barring injury - Kennedy Carter

If the vote was split up into two halves for the season, I'd say Chennedy certainly won the first half by a landslide. She should be their starting pg her entire career at Texas A&M. What underclassman is going to come in and supplant her? :eek:

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score
These are my own impressions, not something I read in an article. You're free to disagree; such is the nature of opinion. But even the Vols fans have been praising her using terms like "nasty edge" (which of course they mean in a positive sense).

Geno likes fiercely competitive players, but when was the last time a UConn player—much less a UConn freshman—was T'ed up for taunting?

But hey, if she wants to get all excited because she blocked the shot of a 5'4" player, who am I to criticize her.

She said “get that “s” outta here” after she blocked a shot. I hardly think that is “demeaning” or even “taunting” a player. Maybe if she did it all game. But it was once. I think she’s getting a bad rap from you and she’s played 12 games so far in her college career.

Reaction Score
She said “get that “s” outta here” after she blocked a shot. I hardly think that is “demeaning” or even “taunting” a player. Maybe if she did it all game. But it was once. I think she’s getting a bad rap from you and she’s played 12 games so far in her college career.
So nice... twice

Reaction Score

I have to differ with you a bit here...............when was the last time you saw a UConn player dispute a call? I don't remember the last time I saw it happen and that's by design...............I remember reading that UConn players are told not to react to bad calls no matter the situation..........at the same time I don't think you see too much of a reaction on the defensive end when a UConn player blocks a shot or makes a great defensive play, not sure if that is by design or just the general nature of the kind of players Geno recruits............
UConn players are supposed to be cool under pressure no matter the circumstances and it seems to have served them pretty well over the years..........................also regarding Geno not being civil..........I think there's a big difference between wanting your team to play at their best and purposely trying to embarrass an inferior opponent................I don't think Geno cares all that much about margin of victory, his concern is for the team to perform to a high standard regardless of the score.............he is well known for assisting other WBB coaches in many ways and has an open door policy allowing even opposing coaches to watch his practices...............I don't think you have to share a bottle of wine with your opponent's coach to be considered civil these days........

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've seen Gabby Williams dispute calls and get aggressive towards an opposing player where her teammates had to come and get her - this season. Katie Lou had a few games last season where she complained to the refs about no calls.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Oh wow, yes, that's a perfectly wonderful thing to say [assuming that's exactly what she said, I'm not sure how this can be verified]. How dare the ref give her a technical for saying something so innocent :rolleyes:

I guess we should just accept that this is condoned in the VFL world. I recall Alexis Hornbuckle doing something very similar to Erica White of LSU.

As I said, she seemed very different in the Stanford game. My impressions are open to revision in light of new data. We shall see how she comports herself.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I have to differ with you a bit here.....when was the last time you saw a UConn player dispute a call? I don't remember the last time I saw it happen and that's by design.....I remember reading that UConn players are told not to react to bad calls no matter the situation.....at the same time I don't think you see too much of a reaction on the defensive end when a UConn player blocks a shot or makes a great defensive play, not sure if that is by design or just the general nature of the kind of players Geno recruits..
UConn players are supposed to be cool under pressure no matter the circumstances and it seems to have served them pretty well over the years......also regarding Geno not being civil.....I think there's a big difference between wanting your team to play at their best and purposely trying to embarrass an inferior opponent......I don't think Geno cares all that much about margin of victory, his concern is for the team to perform to a high standard regardless of the score...he is well known for assisting other WBB coaches in many ways and has an open door policy allowing even opposing coaches to watch his practices.....I don't think you have to share a bottle of wine with your opponent's coach to be considered civil these days...

Charlie, regarding Geno's willingness to allow opposing coaches to come in and observe their practices -
1. He's not going to show the coaches anything he's going to run in those practices. All does is run various drills. The coaches can't learn anything watching drills that's going to help them beat UConn.

2. I once read an small piece in my local paper about how an O-lineman on an NFL team (whose team was dominating their opponent) announced what play they were going to run BEFORE the snap, and how the other team was still powerless to stop it. I think UConn almost falls in this category. Even if you know what's coming, can you stop it? Most teams can't run a scout team when preparing to play the Huskies because they can't duplicate their speed. As you know, watching UConn on TV is different from being on the floor with them. They're a lot bigger and faster in person, especially when they run their fast break off of missed shots. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom