Non UConn College WBB News | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Non UConn College WBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Charlie, regarding Geno's willingness to allow opposing coaches to come in and observe their practices -
1. He's not going to show the coaches anything he's going to run in those practices. All does is run various drills. The coaches can't learn anything watching drills that's going to help them beat UConn.

2. I once read an small piece in my local paper about how an O-lineman on an NFL team (whose team was dominating their opponent) announced what play they were going to run BEFORE the snap, and how the other team was still powerless to stop it. I think UConn almost falls in this category. Even if you know what's coming, can you stop it? Most teams can't run a scout team when preparing to play the Huskies because they can't duplicate their speed. As you know, watching UConn on TV is different from being on the floor with them. They're a lot bigger and faster in person, especially when they run their fast break off of missed shots. :cool:

yes, he's surely not going to be running anything that would help an opponent.......... I was simply making the observation that he is far more than "civil" when it comes to his treatment of other coaches and to the WBB world in general..............

Reaction Score
I've seen Gabby Williams dispute calls and get aggressive towards an opposing player where her teammates had to come and get her - this season. Katie Lou had a few games last season where she complained to the refs about no calls.

OK............perhaps on rare occasion but wouldn't you agree that overall UConn players seem to be a pretty cool, calm and collected group? (with the exception of the Miss State game unfortunately)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
yes, he's surely not going to be running anything that would help an opponent..... I was simply making the observation that he is far more than "civil" when it comes to his treatment of other coaches and to the WBB world in general....
Actually, I suspect other coaches learn a lot watching Geno's practice - the issue is whether or not they can put it into practice.

The other point is valid - it was often Rutgers secret in the past (even against UConn when we took a few games back in the OBE) - opposing teams couldn't prepare for the RU press / speed. It is one of UConn's advantages coming into games - the other team, no matter how hard they try to simulate it - can't really "feel" what its like to play a fast, efficient and cohesive team like UConn until the game starts.

Reaction Score
I've seen Gabby Williams dispute calls and get aggressive towards an opposing player where her teammates had to come and get her - this season. Katie Lou had a few games last season where she complained to the refs about no calls.

I haven't and would like you to cite the games and the spot in those games. Here are links to replays of UConn's games for you to use: 2014-2015 Women’s Basketball Game Replays WatchESPN: Live Sports, Game Replays, Video Highlights

I don't agree that UConn players don't dispute calls. They make all sorts of faces when they get called for some things. And I've seen a few UConn players get physical when an opponent tries to take away a rebound. But I don't remember Williams ever getting called for taunting or ever putting her hands on or physically threatening any opponent.

The burden is on the accuser and that is you.

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score
Oh wow, yes, that's a perfectly wonderful thing to say [assuming that's exactly what she said, I'm not sure how this can be verified]. How dare the ref give her a technical for saying something so innocent :rolleyes:

I guess we should just accept that this is condoned in the VFL world. I recall Alexis Hornbuckle doing something very similar to Erica White of LSU.

As I said, she seemed very different in the Stanford game. My impressions are open to revision in light of new data. We shall see how she comports herself.

I never said I condoned anything. And for that matter she herself took full responsibility after the game saying she said something she shouldn’t have. I was just pointing out that she has gotten ONE technical...one...and she owned up to it and said it shouldn’t have happened. Not a resume of a “dirty” player IMHO.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I never said I condoned anything. And for that matter she herself took full responsibility after the game saying she said something she shouldn’t have. I was just pointing out that she has gotten ONE technical...one...and she owned up to it and said it shouldn’t have happened. Not a resume of a “dirty” player IMHO.
Well, you only get one chance to make a first impression. If she didn't want to get a bad rap, maybe she should have let her game do the talking in the first high-profile game of her collegiate career.

I want to point out, though, that my comment about being a "dirty" player was a half-joking reply to someone else who said they'd like to see Jaime Nared chasing down Te'a Cooper from behind on a layup. More than the technical foul for taunting, I was thinking about the way she pushed Jordan Hosey away from Meme Jackson when they got into their little tiff.

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score
Well, you only get one chance to make a first impression. If she didn't want to get a bad rap, maybe she should have let her game do the talking in the first high-profile game of her collegiate career.

I want to point out, though, that my comment about being a "dirty" player was a half-joking reply to someone else who said they'd like to see Jaime Nared chasing down Te'a Cooper from behind on a layup. More than the technical foul for taunting, I was thinking about the way she pushed Jordan Hosey away from Meme Jackson when they got into their little tiff.

I wouldn’t mind seeing that either. (J/k, j/k). I’m hoping the NCAA does the right thing in that situation but we shall see.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t mind seeing that either. (J/k, j/k). I’m hoping the NCAA does the right thing in that situation but we shall see.

Are you referring to the waiver request? And what do you consider to be the right thing?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno likes fiercely competitive players, but when was the last time a UConn player—much less a UConn freshman—was T'ed up for taunting?

During the '00-01 season Diana was T'd up after clapping in Tasha Pointer's face during a game at Rutgers. Pointer and Diana had been yapping all game while Diana was missing multiple 3-pointers. Diana finally made one and clapped in Pointer's face and she was T'd up. Geno sat her on the bench for the remainder of the game (a comfortable win). He told the team afterwards (paraphrasing) "there's room for only one on the team and that's me." He told the team the next player to get a T would sit a game.

Diana clearly didn't carry that lesson with her to the pros.

I think Sue Bird received a T early in her career for uttering a profanity after a foul.

Natalie Butler was T'd up last season against ECU. I don't recall the exact play but ECU was (as always) playing physical and a bit chippy and Butler seemed to believe a message needed to be sent. I don't think Geno was troubled at all by that one.

Last edited:

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I think Sue Bird received a T early in her career for uttering a profanity after a foul.
/QUOTE]

If I recall correctly, that's when Sue learned the "talk to the pulled up jersey" technique for venting.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The latest on Cooper's waiver request. Not likely to play against Texas A&M? The game is Sunday though I guess there's always a possibility the NCAA will issue a decision before cob today.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
If I’m not mistaken wasn’t Jess Shepard’s waiver granted on game day? Always a possibility. Gotta say if this is approved Its gonna chip away the already low respect i have for the NCAA.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
If I’m not mistaken wasn’t Jess Shepard’s waiver granted on game day? Always a possibility. Gotta say if this is approved Its gonna chip away the already low respect i have for the NCAA.

Yes, but it wasn't a Sunday. I doubt the NCAA will be working the weekend on waiver petitions. They've already missed Dawn's anticipated decision date.

Plebe

Reaction Score
What would be worse? Approval of the waiver or the inconsistency of denying this waiver after approving Shepard's?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Whether it was disgusting or not depends on one's point of view. I was watching that game live. The "pick" was not called because the Tennessee player was not moving or leaning when Atkins ran into her. She simply stopped, and Atkins ran into her. Picks are legal if you set them properly. That one was set properly. It's part of the game. As you know, picks are run in every game, at every level throughout the season. This pick just happened to be set in an area of the floor where players don't expect them to be, and Atkins never saw it.
I too watched the game live and recorded it and I call BS! Russell clearly stuck her hip out yo impede Atkins process of guarding her player. A pick is legal if you establish position and don’t move unjustly, which is exactly what Russell did, moved unjustly with her hip. Add in the chippiness that Tenn had and the usual “classlessness” the fans exhibited when Atkins went down is why I enjoy the infighting on LadyVols board, which I am rooting for some good beat downs to get them frothed up. I want to see both Wilson and McCowan beat Russell into a pulp in the post with their size and skills and better athleticism.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
As I said I have the game on DVR and yes, Westbrook did cross the line, however the coaches and team mates did to her and as an 18 year old in a highly competitive environment, I hope she learns from this, though I worry if she has a history of talking it might rear its’ head again. That was/is an ugly side of DT that I detest and don’t enjoy. My father always said, “act like you’ve been there before and kill them with silence and point to the board!”. I don’t want the trash talking from the NBA Or MCBB to eek its way into the Women’s game.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
I too watched the game live and recorded it and I call BS! Russell clearly stuck her hip out yo impede Atkins process of guarding her player. A pick is legal if you establish position and don’t move unjustly, which is exactly what Russell did, moved unjustly with her hip. Add in the chippiness that Tenn had and the usual “classlessness” the fans exhibited when Atkins went down is why I enjoy the infighting on LadyVols board, which I am rooting for some good beat downs to get them frothed up. I want to see both Wilson and McCowan beat Russell into a pulp in the post with their size and skills and better athleticism.

If you watch other games, you see Russell doing this regularly. She goes to the top of the key to set a screen and as the opposing player tries to go around her, she sticks her hip into the opposing player. Absolutely an illegal screen and I don't understand why the SEC officials don't call it. Of course there have always been a lot of unusual calls that are made on TN's home court.

Reaction Score
I haven't and would like you to cite the games and the spot in those games. Here are links to replays of UConn's games for you to use: 2014-2015 Women’s Basketball Game Replays WatchESPN: Live Sports, Game Replays, Video Highlights

I don't agree that UConn players don't dispute calls. They make all sorts of faces when they get called for some things. And I've seen a few UConn players get physical when an opponent tries to take away a rebound. But I don't remember Williams ever getting called for taunting or ever putting her hands on or physically threatening any opponent.

The burden is on the accuser and that is you.
There is no burden here. I stand by what I said. If you disagree-then disagree but.."I don't agree that Uconn players don't dispute calls" seems like you agree that Uconn players do dispute calls. 2014-15 season? We won the Championship. What of it?

Reaction Score
There is no burden here. I stand by what I said. If you disagree-then disagree but.."I don't agree that Uconn players don't dispute calls" seems like you agree that Uconn players do dispute calls. 2014-15 season? We won the Championship. What of it?

I disagree with this:
I've seen Gabby Williams dispute calls and get aggressive towards an opposing player where her teammates had to come and get her - this season.

I'm not sure what you meant by "get aggressive". Saying her team mates had to "come and get her" suggests to me that you think she was about to get physical. That's a pretty serious thing to say and I think you should point out the instance(s). Unsupported claims of facts need to be challenged. Over the years there have been many unsupported attacks on UConn (players and the program) that got repeated so often that some people accepted them as factual. All I ask is for you to state the game(s).

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Sophie Cunningham suffered a leg injury yesterday and did not play in the second half of Missouri's game Sunday. The extent of her injury was not disclosed. They will need her Sunday against SC.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Sophie Cunningham suffered a leg injury yesterday and did not play in the second half of Missouri's game Sunday. The extent of her injury was not disclosed. They will need her Sunday against SC.
Both she and Lili Thompson suffered leg injuries yesterday (this was noted in the injury thread).

I went back and watched both, and neither of them looked good. Most particularly Thompson's, which I hate to say it had ACL written all over it. She had a breakaway and her knee appeared to buckle as she planted to jump into the layup. Muffet walked over to Thompson for a few moments and, after returning to the bench, looked like she had to compose herself before addressing her team.

Cunningham's injury was strange to me because of the way it happened. She was dribbling across the high post and appeared to hurt her knee as she made a pass toward the low post. One can hope that it's not a season-ending injury.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
No news on Cooper. "The wait continues to drag on?" The waiver request was submitted 3 weeks ago. Let's not hear any holiday excuses. The NCAA really needs to get its act together.

You have to love that Dawn is holding up departure times, wishin' and hopin'.

Imagine the reaction around wcbb if Geno were engaging in this sort of nonsense?

The wait continues to drag on for South Carolina women’s basketball, as the No. 4 Gamecocks have still yet to hear anything from the NCAA regarding transfer guard Te’a Cooper’s hardship waiver as they prepare for their first road SEC game of the season.

“I’m checking my phone every minute,” Staley said of Cooper’s waiver, which would allow her to bypass NCAA rules requiring transfers to sit out a year. “She can’t go (to Oxford) unless she’s cleared to go. So we got a little bit of a later departure time to give us a couple hours to see if that’ll take place, and if not we’ll just wait until we hear from them.”

South Carolina waiting to hear on Cooper’s hardship waiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger