Non UConn College WBB News | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Non UConn College WBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
It is great that TN now has kids that are willing to learn.
Two questions:
1) Who is going to teach them?
2) The other numerous kids that Holly has recruited, weren't willing to learn?
All she has to do is look up at the banners. That are hanging in the rafters. She has two coaches that have thier jerseys hanging up there.
2 I think one is at SC. That Dawn tried to get a waiver for.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Look at freshman years of Nared, Harrison they improved. Davis I think can be a great player.
I respect your fandon to the Vols but Nared was the #6 prospect in 2014 behind Wilson, Brianna Turner, Ariel Atkins, Jordin Canada and Kelsey Mitchell. She isn't nearly in the same breath as those players. So when you say she's improved, Nared never made a 1st SEC squad. In fact the only players since 2013 that made 1st All SEC were Simmons (24), Burdick (3) and Harrison (29). Burdick at #3 Hoopgurlz in 2011 would be argued as not getting better. So ok, Simmons in 2013 with Holly as coach made 1st team and 2015 had Harrison and Burdick. Really? You want to say Harrison and Simmons benefited, maybe but still only 3 selections on SEC 1st team? What about #1 Mercedes in 2013? What has she done at 6'6"? That women is all heart and not evolved skills.
Again, I admire your heart, but not your head. The evidence is not there that players get better.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I respect your fandon to the Vols but Nared was the #6 prospect in 2014 behind Wilson, Brianna Turner, Ariel Atkins, Jordin Canada and Kelsey Mitchell. She isn't nearly in the same breath as those players. So when you say she's improved, Nared never made a 1st SEC squad. In fact the only players since 2013 that made 1st All SEC were Simmons (24), Burdick (3) and Harrison (29). Burdick at #3 Hoopgurlz in 2011 would be argued as not getting better. So ok, Simmons in 2013 with Holly as coach made 1st team and 2015 had Harrison and Burdick. Really? You want to say Harrison and Simmons benefited, maybe but still only 3 selections on SEC 1st team? What about #1 Mercedes in 2013? What has she done at 6'6"? That women is all heart and not evolved skills.
Again, I admire your heart, but not your head. The evidence is not there that players get better.
As a freshman Nared played behind Harrison. Her scoring has improved each year. Mercedes freshman year she had problems with her feet. She has also improved. Both players made USA team this past summer. BTW Davis her scoring and rebounding averages are close to the numbers Holdsclaw had as a freshman.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
As a freshman Nared played behind Harrison. Her scoring has improved each year. Mercedes freshman year she had problems with her feet. She has also improved. Both players made USA team this past summer. BTW Davis her scoring and rebounding averages are close to the numbers Holdsclaw had as a freshman.
I guess I too, have become spoiled here as a UConn fan, as when a Top 10 HoopGurlz Player arrives, I know they will become a Collegiate AA at some point. I just have been surprised that you, are ok with the players getting better over their career due to earned playing time with stats getting better. If you’re happy that Nared and Russell have improved under Holly’s tutelage and were on the USA team when 5 UConn players were ineligible who am I to argue. To me though, their game during this season has/have been “meh”, and a reason the team has lost 4/6. So, with Evina Westbrook, will you be happy If she doesn’t make All-American during her career and be happy that her stats just get progressively better? I see her game and see flashes of brilliance and if she gets some discipline on offense and with some defensive effort, she could earn AA. I just have my doubts with Holly as none of her 9 McDonalds have ever done it.

My last question, would a new coach be able to this team, as constituted to the SEC Finals and to the elite8?

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
2018 Cheryl Miller Award Candidates
Gabby Williams Connecticut
Shakayla Thomas Florida St.
Jill Barta Gonzaga
Bridget Carleton Iowa St.
Kaila Charles Maryland
Sophie Cunningham Missouri
Jaime Nared Tennessee
Ariel Atkins Texas
Teana Muldrow West Virginia
Tashia Brown Western Kentucky

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
De'Janae Boykin article:

Boykin said her decision to transfer was primarily based on wanting to play closer to her home and family in Springdale, Maryland.

“At the end of the day, it was just a comfort level decision,” she said. “It took some time, but I think I’ve fit in well with the team and I know that my teammates have my back and look to me as someone who they expect good things from.”

Penn State coach Coquese Washington believes that Boykin’s short stint of experiencing high-level basketball at UConn is something that’s carried over into her time in Happy Valley.

“De’Janae is an interesting case for us because she came from such a premier program,” Washington said. “She naturally brings a level of experience and a unique perspective that’s beneficial for both the players and the coaches to hear.”

How UConn transfer De’Janae Boykin brings toughness to Penn State women’s basketball

Reaction Score
2018 Cheryl Miller Award Candidates
Gabby Williams Connecticut
Shakayla Thomas Florida St.
Jill Barta Gonzaga
Bridget Carleton Iowa St.
Kaila Charles Maryland
Sophie Cunningham Missouri
Jaime Nared Tennessee
Ariel Atkins Texas
Teana Muldrow West Virginia
Tashia Brown Western Kentucky

I sure think Myisha Hines-Allen should have been on this list

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

I started to respond to this, but had to stop and take a closer look at the article. Apparently the FIBA angle is a big part of it. Disregarding that, a couple other Europeans I've watched several times this year that are also have excellent seasons are Marie Gulich (Germany) of Oregon St. and Borislava Hristova (Bulgaria) of Washington St.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I sure think Myisha Hines-Allen should have been on this list

She's on the Katrina McClain watch list (power forward). All of these positional watch lists have had some strange choices as far as what position they consider some of the players. It doesn't always reflect how their team utilizes them. Barta doesn't play small forward at all for Gonzaga. Due to a lack of size she plays mostly 4 and some 5.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
De'Janae Boykin article: Boykin said her decision to transfer was primarily based on wanting to play closer to her home and family in Springdale, Maryland.
“At the end of the day, it was just a comfort level decision,” she said. “It took some time, but I think I’ve fit in well with the team and I know that my teammates have my back and look to me as someone who they expect good things from.”

Penn State coach Coquese Washington believes that Boykin’s short stint of experiencing high-level basketball at UConn is something that’s carried over into her time in Happy Valley.

“De’Janae is an interesting case for us because she came from such a premier program,” Washington said. “She naturally brings a level of experience and a unique perspective that’s beneficial for both the players and the coaches to hear.”

How UConn transfer De’Janae Boykin brings toughness to Penn State women’s basketball
Do these kids not know how to use google maps? University of Maryland would have been minutes away from Boykin's home PSU is 4 hours aways & UCONN 6 hours.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Oops, my post was a duplicate of Charliebball's linked tweet so I deleted mine. I'm not sure about the veracity of the info regarding Romeo. It appears the article by Matt Calkins is the only source at this point. Nothing from the school, nothing else I could find on google.

edited--Romeo is still listed on the roster on the Huskies website, but she is missing from the program I got at the game today. So, who knows?

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Just before the beginning of the Oregon St. @ Washington St. game on Pac 12 Network, the broadcaster (looks like one person working solo) announced WSU has suspended 4 players indefinitely for violating team rules. Louise Brown, Nike McClure, Caila Hailey and one other player who has medically retired. Also missing their head coach indefinitely as well due to medical reasons. Cougs can't catch a break. Last year they had 3 key players out most of the season w/ injuries.

Reaction Score
Just before the beginning of the Oregon St. @ Washington St. game on Pac 12 Network, the broadcaster (looks like one person working solo) announced WSU has suspended 4 players indefinitely for violating team rules. Louise Brown, Nike McClure, Caila Hailey and one other player who has medically retired. Also missing their head coach indefinitely as well due to medical reasons. Cougs can't catch a break. Last year they had 3 key players out most of the season w/ injuries.
Cougs nearly did catch a break with OSU showing up on their home floor. I felt for the Cougs, nearly knocking off OSU, with no bench, and having lost a good portion of their starting 5, and not having their head coach with them. OSU stunk up the gym and the Cougs played with so much heart and freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom