Non UConn College WBB News | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Non UConn College WBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm still confused. What was Cooper's hardship again?

Cooper's hardship:

Too long without playing. She sat a year recovering from ACL surgery and another year per the transfer rule would be punitive and would not enhance her student-athlete experience.

Team's hardship:

Injuries.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
“I’m checking my phone every minute,” Staley said of Cooper’s waiver, which would allow her to bypass NCAA rules requiring transfers to sit out a year. “She can’t go (to Oxford) unless she’s cleared to go. So we got a little bit of a later departure time to give us a couple hours to see if that’ll take place, and if not we’ll just wait until we hear from them.”

Next it will be hunger strike or hold her breath? Dawn is a strange one. What she's really thinking is we're Carolina damn it, just hand it over!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
South Carolina beat writer clarifies some things about the Cooper waiver petition via twitter:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

This was something that raised my eyebrows a while back. Who told Dawn that the NCAA would be quick to issue a ruling? When has the NCAA ever been quick to decide these cases? She'll be lucky if she gets an answer back by the end of January.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The Cooper waiver petition is, again, being labeled a "hardship waiver." I'm old enough to remember when a hardship waiver meant family illness or injury. But hey, calling it a hardship waiver worked for Notre Dame and Shepard so might as well go with what seems to have worked.

If we don't know the basis for the Shepard petition ("personal reasons"), how can one conclude that the Cooper petition is similar?

Just because McGraw and Staley both said they expected the NCAA to rule in 2 weeks doesn't mean they were told by someone at the NCAA that a ruling would be made in 2 weeks. That's just coaches saying what they hope happens.

Dawn's reference to a 6th year just seems strange. As I understand it, if Cooper has to wait until next season (2018-2019) to play, she'll have automatic eligibility for one more season after that -- 2019-2020. That'll be 3 full seasons (2015-2016, 2018-2019, 2019-2020) completed in 5 years. If she wants to play a 4th season, she'll need to petition the NCAA for a 6th year of eligibility. If she doesn't, she will still have had 2 full seasons to play at South Carolina. I guess what Dawn is really saying is that it will never be too late for the NCAA to approve Cooper's petition because she's unlikely to want to stick around and apply for a 6th year of eligibility. If the NCAA grants the petition and there are only a handful of games left in the season, Cooper is going to play.

Dear Dawn,

Stop begging.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It's unseemly. Partly because she looks desperate. Partly because it looks like she's trying to shame the NCAA into granting the waiver.

I think the point has been reached where granting the waiver will make the NCAA look more terrible (if possible) and more corrupt (if possible). So let's make Cooper eligible just in time for the end of conference play and the tournaments?

It's not like I think Cooper will have that great an impact -- it's been nearly 2 years since she played in a collegiate game -- but Dawn's behavior is making this process look ridiculous.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Dawn says she's no longer begging because of injuries. She's now begging on behalf of Cooper. Or something. She also says some schools lie to get waivers approved. She's not lying. Just begging.

“I think what we’ve put together is truthful,” Staley said. “A lot of times, you got to be a really good liar to get a waiver OK’ed.”

I wonder who she thinks lied to get a waiver?

"We’re just asking for the rest of the season, which I don’t think is a whole lot in the whole grand scheme of things. No, I don’t want them to consider our injuries, I don’t want them to consider that, because that’s not why we put it in,” Staley said. “We put it in on the merit of her sitting out last year, her being able to be with our team this year after sitting out for a year-and-a-half.”

We weren't greedy. We didn't ask for the entire season; just give us the rest of the season. Come on NCAA.

Gamecocks' Dawn Staley gives updates on Te'a Cooper, injured players

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
but Dawn's behavior is making this process look ridiculous.

This is half of why I was hoping against hope that the heir apparent would not in fact be Geno's USA successor.

Reaction Score
Cooper's waiver is denied by the NCAA, I guess they just love more teams then others. Should be a big incentive for SC to prove them wrong again.

Reaction Score
And...

Who wants 6 years in college?? Any number of people.
I know of one that spent at least 8, non athlete, sail the Caribbean from May to Oct
Recruited shipmates in school. I'm not sure he didn't go for another 10
For some it's not the degree --it's the "experience"..

Reaction Score
This is half of why I was hoping against hope that the heir apparent would not in fact be Geno's USA successor.
Dawn should have learned, and did this time through I would hope, you don't poke the lion. I.E. when dealing with an all powerful organization (IRS,NCAA, FBI, the cop that pulled you over,GENO etc) keep your mouth shut until the decision--then RANT, if need be.
Rocky--I'm only half understanding the heir (hair) apparent would not be Geno's successor.
If you are saying Dawn is the heir apparent--thus the USA successor--Maybe USA only, not UConn
I would think after this experience she may tone down her pre decision objections.
Unless an all powerful organization has a published time frame for decisions--it takes what it takes. Even with published time --the IRS rarely meets their own rulings--and the NCAA has more power.

Reaction Score
Here's an interesting coaching strategy for a player in a shooting slump

In many case Fennly would be correct---If the kids keeps adjusting the arm, mentally trying to fix it. Get out of the Gym---let the brain return you to your muscle memory , you are thinking too much.
The one shining memory of Geno I shall always carry--Geno believes shooters-shoot and if missing will eventually (usually soon) return to expert numbers. Thats why DT got 15 shots at a in the ND loss, KLS misses 4 or 6 in many games then drills 10 straight, Kia too--shooters shot. Other coaches along the way --say--hey kid you missed three--stop shooting--not Geno..

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

You see the irony of this post don't you? Warlick commenting she is willing to learn but yet from who??? As noted, can any Vol fan name a player in CHW 6 years of coaching who she made better? Heck, she's had -10? McDonald's AAs and 0 NCAA AA's?

Reaction Score
Dawn says she's no longer begging because of injuries. She's now begging on behalf of Cooper. Or something. She also says some schools lie to get waivers approved. She's not lying. Just begging.

“I think what we’ve put together is truthful,” Staley said. “A lot of times, you got to be a really good liar to get a waiver OK’ed.”

I wonder who she thinks lied to get a waiver?

"We’re just asking for the rest of the season, which I don’t think is a whole lot in the whole grand scheme of things. No, I don’t want them to consider our injuries, I don’t want them to consider that, because that’s not why we put it in,” Staley said. “We put it in on the merit of her sitting out last year, her being able to be with our team this year after sitting out for a year-and-a-half.”

We weren't greedy. We didn't ask for the entire season; just give us the rest of the season. Come on NCAA.

Gamecocks' Dawn Staley gives updates on Te'a Cooper, injured players

There is nothing in the above QUOTED statement from Dawn that imply s or states that anyone lied. She said "we've put together is truthful" Dig deep if you choose--but that does not say she is accusing anyone of lying. Is there more than what you presented? The uninitiated in Waivers may think you have to lie, it is not lying it is "creative writing" , embroidery; as a first timer , I can understand after doing it why she may think that way.

I've said this in defense of ND--and it holds true: In grants, applications, NCAA waiver--there is a methodology, and manner of presentation that gets success more often than others do. It is using the proper wording, phraseology. Some Colleges have a group who are writers of grants--they have been through the wars and know how to do it. Yet they are not always successful. The next waiver Dawn should consult experts, I'm sure Muffet would be happy to help!!

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
You see the irony of this post don't you? Warlick commenting she is willing to learn but yet from who??? As noted, can any Vol fan name a player in CHW 6 years of coaching who she made better? Heck, she's had -10? McDonald's AAs and 0 NCAA AA's?
Look at freshman years of Nared, Harrison they improved. Davis I think can be a great player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom