Non UConn College WBB News | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Non UConn College WBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Do these kids not know how to use google maps? University of Maryland would have been minutes away from Boykin's home PSU is 4 hours aways & UCONN 6 hours.
Your reply does not compute-you are using logical reasoning and trying to apply that to a teenager? Really, have you simply forgotten what a teenager is like? :confused:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
On the issue of who is and isn't still part of Washington's program, I can confirm that Kelli Kingma was on the bench during the game and still very much involved. Did not see Ruiz or Romeo. Other walking wounded on the sideline include Garcia, Strother and Peterson. One other player I didn't recognize, they have a transfer sitting out named Hagstrom so I'm assuming that was her.

Reaction Score
On the issue of who is and isn't still part of Washington's program, I can confirm that Kelli Kingma was on the bench during the game and still very much involved. Did not see Ruiz or Romeo. Other walking wounded on the sideline include Garcia, Strother and Peterson. One other player I didn't recognize, they have a transfer sitting out named Hagstrom so I'm assuming that was her.
GiGi Garcia is from Sacramento Saw her win a state championship in Berkeley. Missed her first two years injured. Thanks for the report. I wondered if she was still on squad

Reaction Score
As a freshman Nared played behind Harrison. Her scoring has improved each year. Mercedes freshman year she had problems with her feet. She has also improved. Both players made USA team this past summer. BTW Davis her scoring and rebounding averages are close to the numbers Holdsclaw had as a freshman.

I like Izzy Harrison. Glad she had a nice year coming off that injury. She is turning out to be a good late first rounder

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
GiGi Garcia is from Sacramento Saw her win a state championship in Berkeley. Missed her first two years injured. Thanks for the report. I wondered if she was still on squad

Some Husky fans were pretty excited about her, but there is some fear that she may never be healthy enough to actually play for UW. That could've been a quite the underrated and solid class. But w/ McDonald transferring after 1 year and Garcia yet to play, that's half the class gone. Melgoza and Henson have outperformed expectations during their soph year I would say.

Reaction Score
Some Husky fans were pretty excited about her, but there is some fear that she may never be healthy enough to actually play for UW. That could've been a quite the underrated and solid class. But w/ McDonald transferring after 1 year and Garcia yet to play, that's half the class gone. Melgoza and Henson have outperformed expectations during their soph year I would say.
The Wash coach is a pretty good one. I followed her the last two years when she was at Long Beach St. She had a nice Asian point guard for four years I followed for some crazy reason (KIM?) and they made the NCAA’s last year and almost upset I believe Oregon St losing by 1 in opening round

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
That would be a huge demotion for Becky. Whoops. I assumed woman’s team. Men’s team I think is still a demotion.
Yes, as things are. But when Becky played there, Colorado State (on the women's side) was one of the really, really good mid-majors, NCAA's and all that.

Still, just as she broke ground in the NBA, she would / could be a ground-breaker in men's college basketball.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Stanford's Coach Tara went local-- all of four miles away -- for her latest 2019 recruit with Hannah Jump, the 5'11" guard from San Jose. Jump is listed as a point guard by Hoopgurlz and just a guard by Prospects Nation, which has her listed as #63 in the overall 2019 PN rankings.

In either case, I remember a few clips about her and they're in total agreement with this one announcing her commitment: she can shoot.

Basketball recruiting: Pinewood's Hannah Jump picks Stanford

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Stanford's Coach Tara went local-- all of four miles away -- for her latest 2019 recruit with Hannah Jump, the 5'11" guard from San Jose. Jump is listed as a point guard by Hoopgurlz and just a guard by Prospects Nation, which has her listed as #63 in the overall 2019 PN rankings.
In either case, I remember a few clips about her and they're in total agreement with this one announcing her commitment: she can shoot.
Basketball recruiting: Pinewood's Hannah Jump picks Stanford
There was a Hannah Jump who played U16 for England that looks very much like this Hannah.
If this is the same girl she wouldn't be exactly local to Tara.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
There was a Hannah Jump who played U16 for England that looks very much like this Hannah.
If this is the same girl she wouldn't be exactly local to Tara.

Or, this Hannah (the one in Pinewood, San Jose) might have English blood lines and is playing for England? :confused:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
SAD! If you love basketball, you keep playing. What about recruiting?

Most of what I'm thinking is not positive in regards to C. Vivivan and Rutgers Athletic Administration. OK, you disagree with the decision made by the selection committee and I can understand the frustration (Oklahoma, really?). But:
- Tyler Scaife comes back from heart surgery to give it her all senior season and you're talking about next year? Her career at Rutgers is now done while everyone else works on next year.
- This was a team that largely rode the back of transfers, sitting out a season and getting used to a new system and a fairly idiosyncratic coach. And that's it.
- Branding, which includes everything from overall reputation to recruiting. Most of the other teams that didn't get in -- including Purdue, a Big 1G rival -- are playing. And you're sitting home?
- C. Viv has been kvetching about bad practice facilities and now that help is on the way, she won't use it.
- The recruiting thing. This team -- transfers and all -- made a good step forward again after (more than) a few down seasons. But you've got to keep moving up and to do that you need players. And coaches and administrators often recommend players or schools.
Very short-sighted decision.
- And, lastly, the 1,000 win achievement. A number of people believe that Rutgers -- in part-- stuck with Viv to get her to a 1,000 wins the right way. But the 1,000 wins also helps the program, as in "We've got a 1,000 win coach." And that could've happened in the WNIT.
(And then helped recruiting during the April official visits.).

The AD should've overruled on this one....the decision only speaks to C. Viv's ego and not the other reasons that she should've been thinking of.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Most of what I'm thinking is not positive in regards to C. Vivivan and Rutgers Athletic Administration. OK, you disagree with the decision made by the selection committee and I can understand the frustration (Oklahoma, really?). But:
- Tyler Scaife comes back from heart surgery to give it her all senior season and you're talking about next year? Her season is now done.
- This was a team that largely rode the back of transfers, sitting out a season and getting used to a new system and a fairly idiosyncratic coach. And that's it.
- Branding, which includes everything from overall reputation to recruiting. Most of the other teams that didn't get in -- including Purdue, a Big 1G rival -- are playing. And you're sitting home?
- C. Viv has been kvetching about bad practice facilities and now that help is on the way, she won't use it.
- The recruiting thing. This team -- transfers and all -- made a good step forward again after (more than) a few down seasons. But you've got to keep moving up and to do that you need players. And coaches and administrators often recommend players or schools.
Very short-sighted decision.
- And, lastly, the 1,000 win achievement. A number of people believe that Rutgers -- in part-- stuck with Viv to get her to a 1,000 wins the right way. But the 1,000 wins also helps the program, as in "We've got a 1,000 win coach." And that could've happened in the WNIT.
(And then helped recruiting during the April official visits.).

The AD should've overruled on this one....the decision only speaks to C. Viv's ego and not the other reasons that she should've been thinking of.
Well stated @Dillon77. Time for C.Viv to go! The right move would have been to go to the NIT and win as Rutgers did in 2014.

Reaction Score
Who actually is the "We" that made the decision not to participate..............did I miss something in reading this article?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom