Non UConn College WBB News | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Non UConn College WBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Looks like the "imperious" (and impenetrable use of) we. Here's a story from nj.com. You'll see that the comments section is not linking up behind C. Viv.
Rutgers rejects WNIT bid after NCAA Tournament snub

So C Viv doesn't want her 1,000th victory to be in the WNIT..........she'd rather get it against Fairleigh Dickinson in the regular season?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
So C Viv doesn't want her 1,000th victory to be in the WNIT.....she'd rather get it against Fairleigh Dickinson in the regular season?

Right. Or St. Peter's or some early-season tournament somewhere else in this large country of ours?

I thought the temporary fix of the transfers (and Tyler coming back) might get C. Viv smart again to use that back-to-winning platform and market it. When was the last time she brought kids in from her usual bases in Newark and/or Patterson? How is it that she's not having dinner with the Franklin coach like every week to ask about the sophomore twins on that team? No one from Montclair or West Orange has seen her. So many good resources (players, coaches, administrators, "people that know people") and her recruits are coming from everywhere but here.

That's gotta change in some way.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I am with @Dillon77 on this with C.Viv, I am not a huge fan and noted her free fall since January. Her team finished 9th in the conference at 7-9, Minnesota was 11-5 tied for 3rd and made it to the Big10 semi-final while Rutgers got bounced in Quarters.

Sorry C.Viv but I have not any empathy for you acting spoiled like this and taking your ball and going home. The game and the school are bigger than you, act like it!

Reaction Score
it appears that her contract had no financial incentives regarding the WNIT so from her standpoint I guess she thought why bother...............

Reaction Score
I am with @Dillon77 on this with C.Viv, I am not a huge fan and noted her free fall since January. Her team finished 9th in the conference at 7-9, Minnesota was 11-5 tied for 3rd and made it to the Big10 semi-final while Rutgers got bounced in Quarters.

Sorry C.Viv but I have not any empathy for you acting spoiled like this and taking your ball and going home. The game and the school are bigger than you, act like it!
As I am a long time RU season ticket holder, I feel the need to weigh in on this. I think CVS made the right decision to not play in the WNIT. I think RU should have made the NCAA tournament over both Oklahoma and Creighton based on their entire body of work this season, but also agree that our late season collapse was a major factor in not being selected. From what I know of Vivian over the years, she would have made this decision with input from the players themselves. Tyler has already won a WNIT championship, so she doesn't need to experience it again and might want to focus on making a WNBA team. She is coming back from open heart surgery after all. Our main point guard is still recovering from an elbow injury, so she may also be inclined to want to finish the season now with the NCAA tournament out of the equation. Besides Tyler, we have three other players graduating, so they don't need more playing time to gain experience for next season. If we played in the WNIT and Vivian played just the underclassmen, she would be criticized for that as well by a lot of our fans. I don't see any of you questioning the USC coach's decision not to participate. I also would like to know if you think Muffet or Geno would have accepted a WNIT bid if they were in this situation and based on the current health of their teams. IMO, the goal for the season for RU was to have a winning season after the debacle of last year and to get to the NCAA tournament. We accomplished the first goal and just fell short of the second. 20-12 was pretty damn good after 6-24 and I think any RU wbb fan who is being honest would have been happy with that record at the beginning of the season.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
-I think CVS made the right decision to not play in the WNIT
-I think RU should have made the NCAA tournament over both Oklahoma and Creighton based on their entire body of work this season, but also agree that our late season collapse was a major factor in not being selected.
-Tyler has already won a WNIT championship, so she doesn't need to experience it again and might want to focus on making a WNBA team. ...Besides Tyler, we have three other players graduating, so they don't need more playing time to gain experience for next season.
-If we played in the WNIT and Vivian played just the underclassmen, she would be criticized for that as well by a lot of our fans.
-I don't see any of you questioning the USC coach's decision not to participate.
-I also would like to know if you think Muffet or Geno would have accepted a WNIT bid if they were in this situation and based on the current health of their teams.
-IMO, the goal for the season for RU was to have a winning season after the debacle of last year and to get to the NCAA tournament. We accomplished the first goal and just fell short of the second. 20-12 was pretty damn good after 6-24 and I think any RU wbb fan who is being honest would have been happy with that record at the beginning of the season.
You have a few salient points and some not so logical:
From the top: It's about the sport of WCBB and CVS, as a pioneer should be a leading beacon for this. Poor decision in my estimation
Creighton should not have gotten a bid in my estimation, however I would take Oklahoma over RU every day and twice on Sunday as they finished tied for 3rd in their league at 11-7 while RU was a pathetic 7-9 and in 9th! Oklahoma's RPI was brutal and was deserving. I think USC Trojans deserved to be in more than RU as their Massey rating was 10 lower than RU, they finished 9-9 in a harder conference and they too should play in the WNIT!
Not sure that solely saying Tyler Scaife played in one is fair to the rest of the team for post-season participation from 4 years ago. And many players should want to finish their career proving the team worthy-win it again if this team is so deserving of an NCAA bid.
Don't seem to follow your underclassman logic-so she wouldn't play the seniors???
ND/UConn have not been in this position is decades so we can cross that bridge if and when we come to it, though however improbable.
Yes, 2018 was HUGE improvement over 2017 and she sort of redeemed herself after the last 2 years but then took a few steps back with her late season swoon and her rather abrupt reneging on the WNIT. Should could build upon this year with the WNIT, now if she stinks in 2018-19, she will be criticized for hanging on for the 1,000 win and deservedly so.

Reaction Score
Don't seem to follow your underclassman logic-so she wouldn't play the seniors???
One of the posters stated that it is good experience for the team and helps develops them for next season. My logic was that it only helps them develop and play better together for the next season if they are going to be on the team the next season. In RU's case Tyler and Gia Greene were starters that are graduating as is one of the first off the bench, Jaz Rollins. The other one graduating is Fitzpatrick who alternated starting with Greene. Our point guard KK Sanders will be a senior next year, but she has been nursing an elbow injury so was playing limited minutes in the last few games of the season. If we did play in the WNIT, I believe CVS would have not played Sanders much if at all and would have limited Tyler's minutes as well, both for health reasons and because winning that tournament just isn't that important to them (like it or not). Next year we are going to be a very different team without Tyler, our only star. Our scoring from guards will most likely come primarily from Guirantes (sitting out this year under transfer rules) and Broughton - an incoming freshman.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
One of the posters stated that it is good experience for the team and helps develops them for next season. My logic was that it only helps them develop and play better together for the next season if they are going to be on the team the next season. In RU's case Tyler and Gia Greene were starters that are graduating as is one of the first off the bench, Jaz Rollins. The other one graduating is Fitzpatrick who alternated starting with Greene. Our point guard KK Sanders will be a senior next year, but she has been nursing an elbow injury so was playing limited minutes in the last few games of the season. If we did play in the WNIT, I believe CVS would have not played Sanders much if at all and would have limited Tyler's minutes as well, both for health reasons and because winning that tournament just isn't that important to them (like it or not). Next year we are going to be a very different team without Tyler, our only star. Our scoring from guards will most likely come primarily from Guirantes (sitting out this year under transfer rules) and Broughton - an incoming freshman.

I'll reply to points you made in your first and second responses.
- Regarding whether MM or Geno would accept a WNIT bid with the injuries, I think DefenseBB stated it well. However, ND -- as has been noted all season -- has been playing with a short bench and relishing the challenge.

- However, there is a team from ND that is very much in a similar kind of situation that the Rutgers women are in and that's the ND Men's team, which lost out on an NCAA slot when Davidson upset Rhode Island and took the slot ND was hoping to get. Mike Brey's team had Bonzie Colson come back as fast as he could from a broken bone and Matt Farrell has been playing on ankles that roll all over the place. Yet they accepted that WNIT bid in a heartbreak and those two seniors will be out there grinding.

- To paraphrase the Bard, "the game's the thing." Don't you want to play? And, if you don't, why not? Most of these players are not going to play at the next level, so one day they'll look back and wonder why not.

And why wouldn't one want to play underclassmen? That's half the reason a lot of football teams take lower level bowls.....kids get to play some more in game(s) situations.

- I listed a whole number of other reasons why I think the program and Rutgers should've taken the bid and played hard. They've had a good rebound season but need to take that and continue to move forward....and this would possibly help with branding and/or recruiting.
You might think it does not matter that much, but I think it does....a lot of people don't remember C. Viv's salad days: gotta produce.

- Lastly, I'd think most fans were glad to see a rebound year, not happy about the late-season fade and not particularly pleased this decision, based on the comments I've read on nj.com.

I'm a Jersey guy and will hope for Jersey teams to do well, but the C. Viv regime seems to be taking a lot of energy and not necessarily giving it all back. Hope I'll be proven wrong in future years, but I'm not holding my breath.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'll reply to points you made in your first and second responses.
- Regarding whether MM or Geno would accept a WNIT bid with the injuries, I think DefenseBB stated it well. However, ND -- as has been noted all season -- has been playing with a short bench and relishing the challenge.

- However, there is a team from ND that is very much in a similar kind of situation that the Rutgers women are in and that's the ND Men's team, which lost out on an NCAA slot when Davidson upset Rhode Island and took the slot ND was hoping to get. Mike Brey's team had Bonzie Colson come back as fast as he could from a broken bone and Matt Farrell has been playing on ankles that roll all over the place. Yet they accepted that WNIT bid in a heartbreak and those two seniors will be out there grinding.

- To paraphrase the Bard, "the game's the thing." Don't you want to play? And, if you don't, why not? Most of these players are not going to play at the next level, so one day they'll look back and wonder why not.

And why wouldn't one want to play underclassmen? That's half the reason a lot of football teams take lower level bowls.....kids get to play some more in game(s) situations.

- I listed a whole number of other reasons why I think the program and Rutgers should've taken the bid and played hard. They've had a good rebound season but need to take that and continue to move forward....and this would possibly help with branding and/or recruiting.
You might think it does not matter that much, but I think it does....a lot of people don't remember C. Viv's salad days: gotta produce.

- Lastly, I'd think most fans were glad to see a rebound year, not happy about the late-season fade and not particularly pleased this decision, based on the comments I've read on nj.com.

I'm a Jersey guy and will hope for Jersey teams to do well, but the C. Viv regime seems to be taking a lot of energy and not necessarily giving it all back. Hope I'll be proven wrong in future years, but I'm not holding my breath.
Like many, I would have preferred RU to have gone to the NIT. I wasn't shocked they didn't.

While some of Scarlett's points are probably fairly on-point, I will add that:

- Scaife is reported as tweeting out that people should stop "slandering" CVS.
- I think part of the late-season swoon was actually struggles by Scaife herself, I think she hit a wall. Also, the injury to the point-guard hurt. Then, as games became more of a struggle, Rutgers seemed to play increasingly flat. Embarrassing yourself in the WNIT would not be a better look than skipping the WNIT. I want to stress - Rutgers looked awful towards the end. The last time RU was in the WNIT, the team actually quit in their 2nd game.
- Vivian traditionally refused to go to the WNIT (stating that before the NCAA selection show) until a few years back when the administration made her go. So I have to assume that they were involved in the decision, as reportedly was the team.
- Don't forget that NJ.com hates RU in general and Vivian in particular

As I say, I would have preferred they went to the WNIT, largely for some of your reasons.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Like many, I would have preferred RU to have gone to the NIT. I wasn't shocked they didn't.

While some of Scarlett's points are probably fairly on-point, I will add that:

- Scaife is reported as tweeting out that people should stop "slandering" CVS.
- I think part of the late-season swoon was actually struggles by Scaife herself, I think she hit a wall. Also, the injury to the point-guard hurt. Then, as games became more of a struggle, Rutgers seemed to play increasingly flat. Embarrassing yourself in the WNIT would not be a better look than skipping the WNIT. I want to stress - Rutgers looked awful towards the end. The last time RU was in the WNIT, the team actually quit in their 2nd game.
- Vivian traditionally refused to go to the WNIT (stating that before the NCAA selection show) until a few years back when the administration made her go. So I have to assume that they were involved in the decision, as reportedly was the team.
- Don't forget that NJ.com hates RU in general and Vivian in particular

As I say, I would have preferred they went to the WNIT, largely for some of your reasons.

Thanks to both of you for your insider input and insights. While I'm a New Jersey resident who reads about Rutgers and hears from friends and colleagues who have connections to WBB in the state, it's always informative to hear from those who really follow the program.
Appreciate it.

I appreciate everything that C. Viv has done for the program and for her players, who uniformly seem to like her. And I wish the program well.

But I felt the last two seasons were a bit of a tipping point and the transfer-aspect of it -- along with Tyler's return -- seemed to be going well until the latter part of the season. That's why this development was a surprise to me for all the reasons I've mentioned.

There's a lot of talent in and around this state in WBB and I'd like to see C. Viv/Rutgers become more ingrained in it, as it once was. We'll see....

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
"Due to team rules" ... hmmmm.

Further down, a little more clarification.

"This marks the second time she has been suspended from the team. She missed seven Big 12 games between Jan. 10 and Feb. 3 with similar issues"

Reaction Score

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Further down, a little more clarification.

"This marks the second time she has been suspended from the team. She missed seven Big 12 games between Jan. 10 and Feb. 3 with similar issues"

Not sure Texas is the right fit for her based on two suspensions and what we’ve seen this season. Hopefully she can get it together and fix her attitude/work ethic. She has all the talent in the world IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom