Non UConn College WBB News | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Non UConn College WBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
As controversial as Shepard's waiver was, it certainly was not a quick process. ND waited for months then was asked to submit additional documentation and then waited several weeks more. Either Staley is being misled or this thing was somehow fast-tracked.

(I know you likely know this. I'm just riffing).

BTW, not that I need to say this but Staley isn't pulling any punches here. She's saying that the Turner injury was a factor in the NCAA's decision on Shepard and she's expecting her team's injury situation to be a factor in the Cooper decision. She is throwing a gauntlet down and daring the NCAA to rule against this request. Her antennae is up for any perceived slight or any perceived advantage that some other program might get over hers.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
BTW, not that I need to say this but Staley isn't pulling any punches here. She's saying that the Turner injury was a factor in the NCAA's decision on Shepard and she's expecting her team's injury situation to be a factor in the Cooper decision. She is throwing a gauntlet down and daring the NCAA to rule against this request. Her antennae is up for any perceived slight or any perceived advantage that some other program might get over hers.
Staley should add in that the NCAA really needs to make Cooper eligible because it will make the SC-Tennessee games popcorn-worthy drama.

If you thought Tennessee was chippy with Texas, wait till we see how they'll be toward Cooper.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

I was going to go off on that and the writer's sarcastic "it may just be coincidental" but then I thought better of it

I wonder if she's a bit bitter than ND won the game earlier this year (and that Shepard's presence and Cooper's absence surely contributed to that result).

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Staley should add in that the NCAA really needs to make Cooper eligible because it will make the SC-Tennessee games popcorn-worthy drama.

If you thought Tennessee was chippy with Texas, wait till we see how they'll be toward Cooper.

I am (to quote my favorite tv show) a messy bench who loves drama, so I'll admit it.

I'd love to see Cooper with a breakaway layup and Nared chasing her down from behind.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I am (to quote my favorite tv show) a messy bench who loves drama, so I'll admit it.

I'd love to see Cooper with a breakaway layup and Nared chasing her down from behind.
Westbrook seems to have baptized herself as the "dirty player" who picks up technicals and I suspect she'll do Nared's bidding.

Well, her and Mercedes Russell both. Russell will be doing her patented illegal hip check on the high ball screen which she somehow got away with all game against Texas.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Westbrook seems to have taken on the "dirty player" persona and I suspect she'll do Nared's bidding.

Well, her and Mercedes Russell both. Russell will be doing her patented illegal hip check on the high ball screen which she somehow got away with all game against Texas.

You mean the one that took out Ariel Atkins and was supposedly perfectly legal? Yeah, I was not a fan.

Reaction Score
You mean the one that took out Ariel Atkins and was supposedly perfectly legal? Yeah, I was not a fan.

Especially when she looked at Atkins running after Nared then stopped on purpose so she could run into the back of her. That was disgusting!

Plebe

Reaction Score
That one as well, but I was thinking more of this type of screen, which she does routinely:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I wasn't aware of Dawn's tweet on the day the Shepard decision was announced.

Staley did not specify what other cases she was talking about, but it seems likely she is referencing forward Jessica Shepard, who transfered from Nebraska to Notre Dame this past offseason and was granted a waiver to play just before the season began. On the day Shepard’s waiver was approved, Staley sent out a cryptic tweet asking the NCAA “what goes into approving and disapproving” waivers.

Good question. At least others won't be in the dark if Cooper's waiver request is granted.

Reaction Score
Especially when she looked at Atkins running after Nared then stopped on purpose so she could run into the back of her. That was disgusting!

She also had a grimace after.

Reaction Score
University of Oregon MBB & WBB Hit With NCAA Notice of Allegations. Who knows what the eventual outcome will be.

Plebe

Reaction Score
We won't have him to kick around anymore....

The "mouth of the south" -- certainly an apt nickname.

I wonder what happened. He seemed so in love with the sound of his own Twitter voice.

Reaction Score
The "mouth of the south" -- certainly an apt nickname.

I wonder what happened. He seemed so in love with the sound of his own Twitter voice.

haha...........and I thought he just banned me

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Whether it was disgusting or not depends on one's point of view. I was watching that game live. The "pick" was not called because the Tennessee player was not moving or leaning when Atkins ran into her. She simply stopped, and Atkins ran into her. Picks are legal if you set them properly. That one was set properly. It's part of the game. As you know, picks are run in every game, at every level throughout the season. This pick just happened to be set in an area of the floor where players don't expect them to be, and Atkins never saw it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

It would not surprise me if Westbrook and Megan Walker were BOTH selected as All-Americans by the end of their JUNIOR year. Westbrook is good now. If you can't see it, you're not watching. Because she starts, she'll get starter's minutes and thereby improve leaps and bounds by the end of the season in spite of Warlick.
The players around her will help mature her game and decision making. I made the same prediction about Brianna Turner (Notre Dame) during her freshman year because I saw the same raw talent in her that I see in Westbrook. I was wrong. She was named an AA the next year. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog