Non UConn College WBB News | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Non UConn College WBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Soon-to-be UConn opponent Oklahoma lost by 12 tonight (11/28) to Little Rock.

Reaction Score
any updates on Te’a Cooper? I'm wondering if Dawn is still looking to add her this season?

Reaction Score
Submitting a waiver for eligibility after the fall semester. Ideally she’d be eligible for the 2nd half of the season.

Personally I enjoy watching Cooper play, and look forward to seeing her back on the court sooner then later.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

These conference-wide stats can be a bit misleading. Raoul's point about Ohio State distorting the Big Ten record vs. top-50 opponents is one example.

Another is the fact that Louisville and Notre Dame account for 9 of the ACC's 16 wins vs. the top 50. The other 13 teams in the ACC are 7-18 (28%) vs. top-50 opponents.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Back to the RPI thing - that's a net 37 losses. 6 complements of UConn. And you wonder why so many P5 middle level teams tend not to want to play top opponents OOC?

Reaction Score
Bianca Cuevas-Moore will miss the season with an ACL injury and will redshirt.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
So Dawn says the waiver for Cooper should take about a week. These waiver requests typically take months, but time is of the essence I guess. I'm also guessing the NCAA has already told her what the decision will be.

Assuming this waiver is granted, we'll know of a new exception to the requirement that transferring players spend a full academic year in residence at the new school. If you're injured and don't play for a season and then transfer, you can be eligible after the completion of one semester. Good to know.

Again, waivers for everyone. Or, better yet, allow immediate eligibility for all transfers.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Speaking of former Tennessee alums - I got the shock of my life this afternoon when former Tennessee Alum, 3 time NCAA champion, former WNBA rookie of the year, and USA Olympic Gold Medalist Chamique Holdsclaw walked into the local Gym I use. I thought it was her the moment I saw her. Her 6'2" frame confirmed my suspicions. At first, I wasn't going to bother her, but then I couldn't stand it any longer. I walked over to her and asked her if she was who I thought she was (Denny Green), she said yes.

She was very nice and personable. We chatted for a moment. I told her I was a old fan of HERS, and confessed to being a UConn women's fan. She said she figured as much. She said she noticed the UConn women's championship hat (from 3 years ago) that I had on. I wished her well, and told her it was nice to meet her in person, then went back to my workout. It was a real pleasure to meet her. You never now who you might bump into these days. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Speaking of former Tennessee alums, I got the shock of my life this afternoon when former Tennessee Alum, 3 time NCAA champion, former WNBA rookie of the year, and USA Olympic Gold Medalist Chamique Holdsclaw walked into the local Gym I use. I thought it was her the moment I saw her. Her 6'2" frame however confirmed my suspicions. At first, I wasn't going to bother her, but then I couldn't stand it any longer. I walked over to her and asked her if she was who I thought she was (Denny Green), she said yes.

She was very nice and personable. We chatted for a moment. I told her I was a old fan of HERS, but not Tennessee. I did not elaborate. I confessed to being a UConn women's fan. She said she figured as much. She said she noticed the UConn women's championship hat (from 3 years ago) that I had on. I wished her well, and told her it was nice to meet her in person, then went back to my workout. It was a real pleasure to meet her. You never now who you might bump into these days. :)
Cool :)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Wake Forest sets an attendance record.
Today? For their game against Charlotte?

It must have been what I call "captive audience day," when the local schools transport their charges en masse to the arena for a daytime game.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

It must have been what I call "captive audience day," when the local schools transport their charges en masse to the arena for a daytime game.

Yep.... they have one every December around this time..... bring in school kids. Its cool that for at least one game a year, Wake can play in front of a great home crowd. They probably wont get 10,000 home fans total during the ACC season.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I realize I am a dog with a bone (or cat with some catnip) on this topic but this article on South Carolina's waiver request for T'ea Cooper is, well, remarkable. Every Div 1 coach, men's and women's, should pay attention to this decision which could come in a matter of days.

Gamecocks file waiver to NCAA on behalf of Te'a Cooper

Here's a quick summary:

Timing of an NCAA decision

They say it’s a pretty quick process. It could be a day or two,” Staley said. “If she gets cleared today, then we’ll probably get her a flight out. If the NCAA works that fast, during this time of the season, we’ll be quick to pull the trigger and get her to Philly.”

Really? A quick process? A day or two? Most schools wait months. The UConn men are still waiting for a decision on Sid Wilson and that waiver request was submitted months ago.

The arguments in support of a waiver

1. Cooper has already been punished enough. I didn't realize the year in residence requirement was a punishment but I guess it is.

Cooper has already sat out a season, since she blew out a knee before the 2016-17 season began and sat on the Lady Vols’ bench all last year. While recovered and able to practice with USC, she also sat out this year’s first semester (and 11 games) to get acclimated to Columbia, USC and her schoolwork. If the NCAA is truly about the “student-athlete experience,” USC is arguing, Cooper has already done time on the bench and shouldn’t be punished again.

“She’ll lose a year of eligibility if she sits out another year,” Staley said. “She’ll only have one year to play.”

Actually, Dawn is wrong on this one. What the NCAA indicated it would do when eliminating the hardship waiver is to grant these student-athletes an extra year of eligibility. So, Cooper could apply for another year and it would probably be granted.

2. Dear NCAA, you did Notre Dame a favor when they lost Brianna Turner to injury, so we just lost Cuevas-Moore to injury so how 'bout we get the same favor? Oh, and have we mentioned how the selection committee has been so unfair to us by sending us out west?

Nebraska star Jessica Shepard transferred to Notre Dame over the offseason and like all transfers, was expected to sit out a year. But the NCAA cleared her to immediately play this season on a hardship waiver.

Neither the NCAA nor Notre Dame said exactly what the hardship was, only that Shepard could play. It may be just coincidental that the Fighting Irish were belted with several injuries before the season began and really needed an impact starting forward, like, say, Shepard.

The Gamecocks are in the same pickle as Notre Dame. Cuevas-Moore is out for the season, there’s no telling when Lindsey Spann may return from her own knee injury and USC could really use an impact starting guard, like, say, Cooper.

“Hopefully they’ll see that and hopefully they’ll see that we got a player down and another one’s kind of limping her way back,” Staley said. “I hope they just consider all of it because I think they’ve probably considered all of that in some other cases.”

This is the sort of nonsense that causes people to argue for immediate eligibility for transfers. The process is a farce.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
They say it’s a pretty quick process. It could be a day or two,” Staley said. “If she gets cleared today, then we’ll probably get her a flight out. If the NCAA works that fast, during this time of the season, we’ll be quick to pull the trigger and get her to Philly.”

Really? A quick process? A day or two? Most schools wait months. The UConn men are still waiting for a decision on Sid Wilson and that waiver request was submitted months ago.

As controversial as Shepard's waiver was, it certainly was not a quick process. ND waited for months then was asked to submit additional documentation and then waited several weeks more. Either Staley is being misled or this thing was somehow fast-tracked.

(I know you likely know this. I'm just riffing).

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
As controversial as Shepard's waiver was, it certainly was not a quick process. ND waited for months then was asked to submit additional documentation and then waited several weeks more. Either Staley is being misled or this thing was somehow fast-tracked.

(I know you likely know this. I'm just riffing).

Yes, I am familiar with Shepard's waiver request and the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom