Non UConn College WBB News | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Non UConn College WBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
I think you're right. When I went to college it was to get away from my family, it's just what teenagers do.

Freshman year was an amazing adventure; a whole new world opened for me and I would never be the same.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
From my archives:
" Yes, Alexis Jones, who is going to be the best PG in the nation this season, IMO"
@easttexastrash Fall of 2016

:D

Those who keep themselves informed know that Alexis Jones was hurt (bruised knee) and had to sit out for a number of games and never really got back to how she was playing at the beginning of the season.

Those who do not keep themselves informed make posts such as yours. :D

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Looking at the box score, looks like Brown, Cox, and Cohan all started, Baylor has no size off the bench, it could catch up to them at some point, but not likely during that so so preseason schedule.

Cox did not start the second half and came off the bench to spell both Cohen and Brown. I doubt that you will see Cox start many games going forward. Alexis Morris started the second half in place of Cox and was a real spark on offense. It is almost impossible to keep her from getting to the rim.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Those who keep themselves informed know that Alexis Jones was hurt (bruised knee) and had to sit out for a number of games and never really got back to how she was playing at the beginning of the season.

Those who do not keep themselves informed make posts such as yours. :D

I really was hoping not to have to use the "Ignore" feature so soon in the season. Some people just don't want to play nice.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I really was hoping not to have to use the "Ignore" feature so soon in the season. Some people just don't want to play nice.
I did not realize you could use the ignore button on yourself. Please let us know how that works out for you.
Wink.png

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I myself am being very optimistic. I think this could be a very good team, it will come down to chemistry, our bench play, and if the players really buy into playing defense the way CVS wants. I miss seeing the "55" in the old days when brought havoc onto the other team. Plus a big key will be Tyler. If she's ready, we'll be pretty darn good. But like I said, me= very optimistic(which I always have been and have been let down, so I figure one of these years I'll be right. Let it be this year!)
Just to be clear, I'm not pessimistic, but I think 23 wins would be tough. I expect Rutgers to win the games that they should (and that will be a nice change), but I'm not sure that they have the personnel to win against any of the "superior" teams they will be playing. The personnel is an upgrade over last year (across the board, not just having Tyler back), which is great, however, it is still a less talented team than the really, really outstanding teams that made deep NCAA runs, at least as I understand it.

That said, I would love them to go dancing. I do have hopes.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Just to be clear, I'm not pessimistic, but I think 23 wins would be tough. I expect Rutgers to win the games that they should (and that will be a nice change), but I'm not sure that they have the personnel to win against any of the "superior" teams they will be playing. The personnel is an upgrade over last year (across the board, not just having Tyler back), which is great, however, it is still a less talented team than the really, really outstanding teams that made deep NCAA runs, at least as I understand it.

That said, I would love them to go dancing. I do have hopes.

Twenty-three wins is a big ask, but not impossible given the weakness of the Big Ten. To me, what's even more concerning than last year's anomalously dismal results was what happened two years ago, when Rutgers had two excellent seniors in Copper and Hollivay who were drafted 7th and 13th overall. But they still missed the NCAA tournament and lost in the 2nd round of the WNIT, finishing 19-15 on the season (8-10 in Big Ten).

Rutgers' OOC conference schedule, with the exception of a game vs. South Carolina in the first round of the Gulf Coast Showcase, consists of games that are winnable but mostly non-cupcakes. They open the season on the road at James Madison and Temple, both of which lost key players from last year, and these will be decent tests of the Rutgers pulse. They'll also play Wake Forest, NC State, and Virginia. If Rutgers can manage to win, say, 11 of its 14 OOC games, it would be totally realistic for them to go 10-8 in the Big Ten, especially considering that they play Penn State twice plus Wisconsin, Illinois, and Nebraska. For any team that doesn't suck, that should be 5 wins there. From there they'd just need a couple postseason wins between the B1G tourney and the WNIT/NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
that's a pretty hefty raise for the coach of a team that's been going backwards.......especially as Rutgers is in a cost tightening mode everywhere else...

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Twenty-three wins is a big ask, but not impossible given the weakness of the Big Ten. To me, what's even more concerning than last year's anomalously dismal results was what happened two years ago, when Rutgers had two excellent seniors in Copper and Hollivay who were drafted 7th and 13th overall. But they still missed the NCAA tournament and lost in the 2nd round of the WNIT, finishing 19-15 on the season (8-10 in Big Ten).

Rutgers' OOC conference schedule, with the exception of a game vs. South Carolina in the first round of the Gulf Coast Showcase, consists of games that are winnable but mostly non-cupcakes. They open the season on the road at James Madison and Temple, both of which lost key players from last year, and these will be decent tests of the Rutgers pulse. They'll also play Wake Forest, NC State, and Virginia. If Rutgers can manage to win, say, 11 of its 14 OOC games, it would be totally realistic for them to go 10-8 in the Big Ten, especially considering that they play Penn State twice plus Wisconsin, Illinois, and Nebraska. For any team that doesn't suck, that should be 5 wins there. From there they'd just need a couple postseason wins between the B1G tourney and the WNIT/NCAA tournament.

Plebe (and Knight): Thanks for the informative and frank give and take of C. Vivian Stringer and her new extension. I've cut and pasted the link to the latest and greatest from nj.advancemedia.

Details on C. Vivian Stringer contract: Why Rutgers could keep the Hall of Famer beyond coaching

What, perhaps, was most interesting to me was this paragraph:
"Perhaps the most interesting aspect of the contract, however, is a clause that could keep the 69-year old Stringer at Rutgers in an administrative role if she decides to relinquish her head-coaching duties after the 2018-19 season."

While C.Viv says that she wants to "get comfortable" with the level of the team, she does also acknowledge -- as does AD Hobbs -- that they want her around...as a Rutgers employee. As you stated, this could allow her to get to the 1,000 win mark and try to make one more run at an NCAA invite. And then, turn "Hobbsian?"

Viv claims all the transfers who are about to play -- featuring the "rojos" -- allow her the depth to dust off the "55" pressing offense. Plus, she's got some outside shooting with Fitzpatrick, the transfer from St. Joes, which is something even the best of her teams didn't have a lot of. We'll see how the transfers and the returnees mesh.

A lot of Stringer defenders have said she needed to have a long-term contract and a practice facility to ensure she could recruit effectively. She's got the contract and Hobbs says the practice facility will open, but not until 2019, which is halfway through this extension. That could placate current recruit's questions, but me thinks the more important questions are:
- can Stringer and Rutgers ratchet up the D and have a current-enough, functioning offense to get enough wins for conference and/or post-season tourneys?
- and will she be able to recruit NJ? Currently, there is one --- 1 --- in-state player on the roster in a state that has a lot of ballplayers that could step into that roster. Can Stringer still relate? Does she have assistants that help her bridge that?

Like many, I appreciate what C. Viv has done, but am a little dubious of a complete return to the Scarlet Knight's past highest ranks. I'm hoping that she can mesh the "rojos" and returnees and get back to post-season and raise the team's visibility with HS conferences/teams in areas she used to recruit from (Newark, Patterson) and then find a successor that can take it to the next level.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Is that right? UConn does I think..
I don't know, but I assumed most did. Before the current exhibition structure, RU did one free / one pay, the free one being against a "traveling team" of some sort, made up of ex-players. The pay one was against a foreign team.

I assume Arizona charges, it wasn't advertised as free, but we were not able to go and we have season tix anyhow.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Kristine Anigwe of Cal is out while recovering from a minor knee injury, expected to return early in the season:

Bears Prevail Vs Vanguard

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Texas beat Oklahoma City tonight 99 to 36. Jatari high a game high 19 points. Boothe hit some three pointers. They can play a tall zone defense but they are slow. I believe they will give Baylor some tough competition and I would not be surprised to see them beat Baylor. Boothe has to take a lot of time to set for a three pointer. I believe poor discipline will be a problem for Texas.

Reaction Score
Too bad Tenn fans didn't watch Megan Walker--a true candidate for FPOY.

Unlikely she will get the votes this year because she'll be coming of the bench garnering limited minutes and stats (unless there are injuries)..........this is where Walker and other top UConn recruits are willing to sacrifice individual honors.........at least as freshmen...........

Reaction Score
Texas beat Oklahoma City tonight 99 to 36. Jatari high a game high 19 points. Boothe hit some three pointers. They can play a tall zone defense but they are slow. I believe they will give Baylor some tough competition and I would not be surprised to see them beat Baylor. Boothe has to take a lot of time to set for a three pointer. I believe poor discipline will be a problem for Texas.

As one who attended some classes at OKC U--I think Lefty ended there after JMU and MD--it is truly a power house as the score suggests. Surprising if MD didn't put them on their schedule.
Doo---Texas has and had great potential. I'm not sure about the coach in that I mean she does recruiting well and has good game plans and plays against many teams. I am not stating this as FACT only perception--she seems to have issues with "in game" adjustments.

Reaction Score
Unlikely she will get the votes this year because she'll Icoming of the bench garnering limited minutes and stats (unless there are injuries).....this is where Walker and other top UConn recruits are willing to sacrifice individual honors....at least as freshmen......
That may be the truth. I'm sure most frosh will and sophs won't have the POY options. It remains to be seen how she fits in with or without injuries.\
But I'll settle for her getting it the next 3 years.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Too bad Tenn fans didn't watch Megan Walker--a true candidate for FPOY.
Evina the top point guard in this years class. One thing is Evina will start mainly out of need. Walker probably won't be starting this year.

Reaction Score
Evina the top point guard in this years class. One thing is Evina will start mainly out of need. Walker probably won't be starting this year.
Pretty much Charlieball above stated. I'd provide you with the same answer but---you and charlie speak the facts. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom