Non UConn College WBB News | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Non UConn College WBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
One could only hope. Hideous for quite a while - and to think they were decent back when Jim Davis was there. Its been a while.

I even remember when Annie Tribble was there. I'm sorry to hear the young lady got hurt.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Why not? Waivers for everyone.

Actually, I think they should do away with the rule that transfers sit for a year. When coaches change jobs, they don't have to sit. I know it's to discourage transfers, but I don't like penalizing the athletes.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Homesickness? Huh. Corvallis isn't all that close to Meridian, ID (just outside Boise). Certainly closer than Maryland but still, a bit tough to accept that.

7 1/2 hour drive according to google. Fairly quick flight time though.

Probably the only direct flight from Corvallis to Meridian is on a crop duster.

Reaction Score
I don't understand what you're saying here. The transfer rules require that the student athlete spend a year in academic residence at the new school before being eligible to play. The rule would not appear to be satisfied by simply not playing for a year for whatever reason at the previous school. I've heard of student athletes not playing for 2 years (injury + transfer). Is there a precedent for the waiver you're suggesting?

Also, although we as fans know only what's been posted on message boards and included in a Knoxville blog written by a radio host, that will not be the extent of the NCAA's knowledge on the matter. The NCAA will submit questions to the student athlete and both universities.

Despite the rule you quote we all know that the rule is waived for various reasons. Notre Dame is in the process of trying to get a waiver for their transfer. There have been several waivers in the last couple of years.

My point was that Cooper wasn't expelled for cause. She transferred voluntarily and Tennessee gave her a full release. For what I have read she transferred in good standing. I was involved in employee misconduct situations in my job and more often than not the accused was offered an opportunity to resign prior to any disciplinary hearing and finding. It saves the employers from a process that they would like to avoid and it allows the employee to maintain a clean record. If we are to believe the stories, Cooper would have an opportunity to face the team mates with whom she had the fight along with her other team mates and the coaches. Those situations can be stressful for everyone as there are always two sides to every story. We don't know if the entire team wanted her gone. A hearing could leave scars on those remaining. She was offered an opportunity to transfer and she took it.

Whatever the standards the NCAA uses to grant waivers, we know they are given. It wouldn't surprise me if the NCAA says that having to sit 2 years places "an undo burden' on Cooper, or some such BS.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Probably the only direct flight from Corvallis to Meridian is on a crop duster.

Ha ha. Well I was thinking Portland to Boise, with some driving to/from both airports. I did look, there are some direct flights, but some w/ 1 connection through Seattle.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

Littlepage was a Rutgers Men's BB coach in the 80's, where he went 23-63. Much better AD. We have a friend that has connections to both Rutgers and Virginia and always spoke very highly of him.

Nice to see the direction of their new hire, as well.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Despite the rule you quote we all know that the rule is waived for various reasons. Notre Dame is in the process of trying to get a waiver for their transfer. There have been several waivers in the last couple of years.

My point was that Cooper wasn't expelled for cause. She transferred voluntarily and Tennessee gave her a full release. For what I have read she transferred in good standing. I was involved in employee misconduct situations in my job and more often than not the accused was offered an opportunity to resign prior to any disciplinary hearing and finding. It saves the employers from a process that they would like to avoid and it allows the employee to maintain a clean record. If we are to believe the stories, Cooper would have an opportunity to face the team mates with whom she had the fight along with her other team mates and the coaches. Those situations can be stressful for everyone as there are always two sides to every story. We don't know if the entire team wanted her gone. A hearing could leave scars on those remaining. She was offered an opportunity to transfer and she took it.

Whatever the standards the NCAA uses to grant waivers, we know they are given. It wouldn't surprise me if the NCAA says that having to sit 2 years places "an undo burden' on Cooper, or some such BS.

Cooper was given the opportunity to transfer with no restrictions. She was facing discipline (suspension from school) from the university and I do wonder if the LV program was even given the opportunity to place restrictions on where she could go.

We know of 3 waiver requests:

Shepard at Notre Dame -- Muffet has used the term "hardship" to describe the request. I thought the NCAA had done away with the hardship waiver but maybe there's a new type of hardship waiver we haven't heard about. Maybe it's the hardship of Brianna Turner not being able to play.

Cooper at South Carolina -- the sitting-out-2-years-would-not-be-a-good-student-athlette-experience waiver.

Slocum at Oregon State -- the homesickness waiver.

A Notre Dame football transfer (Alohi Gilman) came up with an interesting argument earlier this year. Gilman transferred from Navy to Notre Dame and his argument for immediate eligibility was that he entered Navy when the Dept of Defense rule allowed graduates from the academies to defer the 2-year service commitment to play professional sports. The DoD changed the rule in the spring of 2017 and Gilman then transferred out. I guess the argument was that he would not have chosen Navy had he known his chance to play in the NFL would be delayed 2 years. The NCAA denied the request.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Has anyone actually verified that Slocum has requested a waiver? I looked at an Oregon St. blog the other day and their own fan base has no idea about this, if it's true. Seems hard to believe. I think this all started from a Stanford blogger.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Like Iowa's out of conference schedule is so tough :rolleyes: Best team on the schedule is Florida State... and that was given to them due to the Big 10/ACC Challenge.
Last year Iowa was #14 in nonconference SOS, and while their OOC schedule included Notre Dame and UCLA, what really made it so high is that they had only one game against the lower half of the RPI. That's where Maryland really stepped in it and screwed up their SOS and RPI. But it wasn't just Maryland:

Nonconference SOS rank:
  • Maryland #140
  • Indiana #145
  • Purdue #102
  • Penn State #205
  • Northwestern #174
  • Wisconsin #142
  • Illinois #112
That's half the conference that was outside the top 100 in OOC SOS. That's an RPI killer.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The dreaded ACL strikes again:

ND has 11 scholarship players. Of those, two (Turner and Johnson) are out with ACL injuries and one (Shepard) in eligibility limbo. Plenty of PT for the other 8, I guess...

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score

ND has 11 scholarship players. Of those, two (Turner and Johnson) are out with ACL injuries and one (Shepard) in eligibility limbo. Plenty of PT for the other 8, I guess...

Ahh, Geez. That is terrible. I hate to hear it. I can be just misremembering, but, has Johnson been saddled with nagging injuries for most of her career at ND?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Ahh, Geez. That is terrible. I hate to hear it. I can be just misremembering, but, has Johnson been saddled with nagging injuries for most of her career at ND?

Yep, this what she dealt with last year:

upload_2017-10-25_14-32-52.png

She then had shoulder surgery in April and just got clearance a couple weeks ago to practice.

She just can't seem to stay healthy for an extended period of time. It's a shame.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
See, my skepticism about the alleged waiver for Slocum was well founded. That's a nice article, thanks for posting.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Whoa. Argh. This a really big blow to Notre Dame's already attenuated roster.

I can't remember another season where we heard about so many ACL tears before even the first game.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

And as discussed on McGraw's Bench, senior Kat Westbeld -- one of those 8 -- is not slated to start practicing until the start of November in the hope that the lingering pain from her ankle (injured and operated on earlier in the year) will abate enough for her to resume training.

After transfers from last year and these injuries, that leaves these 7 scholarship players for the Irish:
- Marina Mabrey (junior)
- Arike Ogunbowale (junior)
- Jackie Young (sophomore)
- Lili Thompson (grad transfer)
- Koko Nelson (grad student)
- Mikayla Vaughn (frosh)
- Danielle Patterson (frosh)
and two walk-on's.

The long-awaited Jessica Shepard eligibility decision referenced by Orangutan is taking on more gravity as the season inches closer and the injuries develop and/or linger (in Westbeld's case). Without Shepard, Young will probably be relied upon on a lot for rebounding and in-lane playing that she otherwise would not of. She, along with Mabrey, Ogunbowale and Thompson, are going to be logging a lot of minutes and running a lot of miles. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And as discussed on McGraw's Bench, senior Kat Westbeld -- one of those 8 -- is not slated to start practicing until the start of November in the hope that the lingering pain from her ankle (injured and operated on earlier in the year) will abate enough for her to resume training.

After transfers from last year and these injuries, that leaves these 7 scholarship players for the Irish:
- Marina Mabrey (junior)
- Arike Ogunbowale (junior)
- Jackie Young (sophomore)
- Lili Thompson (grad transfer)
- Koko Nelson (grad student)
- Mikayla Vaughn (frosh)
- Danielle Patterson (frosh)
and two walk-on's.

The long-awaited Jessica Shepard eligibility decision referenced by Orangutan is taking on more gravity as the season inches closer and the injuries develop and/or linger (in Westbeld's case). Without Shepard, Young will probably be relied upon on a lot for rebounding and in-lane playing that she otherwise would not of. She, along with Mabrey, Ogunbowale and Thompson, are going to be logging a lot of minutes and running a lot of miles. Stay tuned.

really sorry to hear about that injury ND guys............WBB is truly becoming a game of attrition...........I spent all of last season holding my breath every time a UConn player hit the floor...........I can attest to the fact that it's especially tough when you have a short bench to begin with..............going forward, I think MM and Geno will need to carry an extra player or two even though it's against their nature just to guard against such an occurrence...........

Reaction Score
I hope the NCAA grants Jessica Shepherd eligibility to play much like Chatrice White at Florida State. They are in need of bodies at this point. I flinched at reading that title on ESPN. ND is a rival to Uconn, but I wouldn't wish this on anyone & wish they could compete more with healthy bodies. Muffet is a good coach so she will figure it out.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That's the second reference I've seen to Slocum. I wonder what they are trying to base the waiver on?
Sorry for being late to the party, is Slocum requesting a waiver also?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom