Non UConn College WBB News | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Non UConn College WBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
A few years ago Oregon's starting QB Jeremiah Masoli got into all kinds of trouble, had a little problem with criminal activity. At first he was suspended for a year, then he was booted from the team. He transferred to Ole Miss. The NCAA originally denied his request for immediate eligibility (he had finished undergrad degree, but the NCAA wasn't impressed that he was fleeing his suspension from his previous school). However there was an appeal and he won.

Bottom line, you never know what the NCAA will do. And bad behavior gets rewarded?

The Masoli decision was based on the graduate transfer rule, no? If Cooper had graduated from Tennessee in May she'd be immediately eligible as well.

Reaction Score
Saw over on Rebkell's that Oregon St might be trying to get Slocum a wavier to play this year.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
That's the second reference I've seen to Slocum. I wonder what they are trying to base the waiver on?

Reaction Score
If some of the waivers are approved, could make for some exciting games this year. South Carolina vs Tennessee could have some serious competitive drama.

Reaction Score
That's the second reference I've seen to Slocum. I wonder what they are trying to base the waiver on?

Home sickness would make since, sure is more understandable then the Cooper situation.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Homesickness? Huh. Corvallis isn't all that close to Meridian, ID (just outside Boise). Certainly closer than Maryland but still, a bit tough to accept that.

7 1/2 hour drive according to google. Fairly quick flight time though.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Yeah, but it was still weak. He was in serious trouble at Oregon and just walked away from it like it didn't even happen. Nice to know that Ole Miss was willing to disregard his issues if they thought he could help them win football games.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiHlt2y9v_WAhUhl1QKHW-0CccQFggmMAA&url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremiah_Masoli&usg=AOvVaw3shE1EA33gaDfG3QRlYsdQ

We've recently been made aware of what kind of football program they're running down in Oxford, Mississippi. This doesn't surprise me.

Reaction Score
By electing to a "voluntary transfer" Cooper avoided any discipline. That sort of thing happens all the time in the workplace. So in effect she is considered to be a transfer who had just finished sitting out a year due to injury. Her alleged violations of school rules don't figure into it because there was never a finding that she violated any rule.

Furthermore, all we have to judge her on are message board posts and vague comments from her coach. I for one won't judge anyone based on that. I think she has an excellent case for playing this year.

Reaction Score
Why not? Waivers for everyone.
Been keeping an eye on the Shepard saga over at ND. They see a herd of unicorns prancing under a green and gold rainbow at the prospect of a waiver for her. The folks left behind at Nebraska find that amusing but that's another story.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Why not? Waivers for everyone.
Wafers for everyone.

products-images-sugarfreewafer-coconut.png

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
By electing to a "voluntary transfer" Cooper avoided any discipline. That sort of thing happens all the time in the workplace. So in effect she is considered to be a transfer who had just finished sitting out a year due to injury. Her alleged violations of school rules don't figure into it because there was never a finding that she violated any rule.

Furthermore, all we have to judge her on are message board posts and vague comments from her coach. I for one won't judge anyone based on that. I think she has an excellent case for playing this year.

You explained this better than I ever could've.

Reaction Score
If Cooper gets a waiver it will be a terrible precedent. Normal transfer, have to sit out a year, but fight teammates, transfer and play right away. This being the NCAA, I think she gets the waiver.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
The NCAA is in the business of setting "terrible precedents".... (see the recent UNC decision)

With the Tarheels, they basically came to the conclusion that it's not cheating or preferential treatment if you allow non-athletes to participate in it.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I hope Cooper gets a waiver to play this season...... just to see the post game handshake line when they play Tennessee :D

I had no idea that colleges had homecoming kings and queens :confused:

Really?? Is that not the case at Duke?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

I don't understand what you're saying here. The transfer rules require that the student athlete spend a year in academic residence at the new school before being eligible to play. The rule would not appear to be satisfied by simply not playing for a year for whatever reason at the previous school. I've heard of student athletes not playing for 2 years (injury + transfer). Is there a precedent for the waiver you're suggesting?

Also, although we as fans know only what's been posted on message boards and included in a Knoxville blog written by a radio host, that will not be the extent of the NCAA's knowledge on the matter. The NCAA will submit questions to the student athlete and both universities.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
My granddaughter is very self-conscious. I was instructed to say nothing during her campus visit. She probably would be ok about going to the game with me--provided that I didn't cheer or bring attention to her.

I think you're right. When I went to college it was to get away from my family, it's just what teenagers do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom