Non UConn College WBB News | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Non UConn College WBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A Notre Dame football transfer (Alohi Gilman) came up with an interesting argument earlier this year. Gilman transferred from Navy to Notre Dame and his argument for immediate eligibility was that he entered Navy when the Dept of Defense rule allowed graduates from the academies to defer the 2-year service commitment to play professional sports. The DoD changed the rule in the spring of 2017 and Gilman then transferred out. I guess the argument was that he would not have chosen Navy had he known his chance to play in the NFL would be delayed 2 years. The NCAA denied the request.
Good for the NCAA Can't believing I'm actually saying that. Going to any service academy should not be about playing football.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The dreaded ACL strikes again:

ND has 11 scholarship players. Of those, two (Turner and Johnson) are out with ACL injuries and one (Shepard) in eligibility limbo. Plenty of PT for the other 8, I guess...

This truly sucks! Speedy rehab Mychal.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Sorry for being late to the party, is Slocum requesting a waiver also?

I think it's just a rumor that got started with no factual basis. The article on page 3 of this thread has quotes from the coach talking about her sitting out this year but quickly becoming a part of the program. There was no legit source that ever mentioned her or the school requesting a waiver to be immediately eligible. I think it mostly came from a Stanford blogger and then kept getting repeated, but it was never confirmed and thus I believe there's absolutely nothing to it.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
really sorry to hear about that injury ND guys..WBB is truly becoming a game of attrition......I spent all of last season holding my breath every time a UConn player hit the floor......I can attest to the fact that it's especially tough when you have a short bench to begin with....going forward, I think MM and Geno will need to carry an extra player or two even though it's against their nature just to guard against such an occurrence......

The idea of going to 13 is one a number of us have discussed. With injuries and transfers, it might be a prudent thing to do (I can't believe I just typed that word without Dana Carvey talking in my head...:rolleyes: ).

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I think it's just a rumor that got started with no factual basis. The article on page 3 of this thread has quotes from the coach talking about her sitting out this year but quickly becoming a part of the program. There was no legit source that ever mentioned her or the school requesting a waiver to be immediately eligible. I think it mostly came from a Stanford blogger and then kept getting repeated, but it was never confirmed and thus I believe there's absolutely nothing to it.
I think part of it may be that people have become so accustomed to hearing about transfers seeking waivers that some were way too quick to assume this in the Slocum case.

Reaction Score
I don't mean to be disrespectful to a very successful coach but hasn't her time come and gone?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I don't mean to be disrespectful to a very successful coach but hasn't her time come and gone?

TBD. Her time is coming to an end, for sure, I would say.

But there is a reasonable expectation that this season will be reasonably successful, unlike last year's 6 win fiasco. Not maybe as successful as fans, the team and CVS would like or were used to, but it is anticipated that the team will be above .500. The players on the team are hoping to win the 23 games to give CViv 1000 wins, but most folks I talk to think that is likely a bit over-optimistic.

Really, I can't imagine that the contract extension is about anything except getting her to 1000 wins and not leaving the cupboard bare.

I have always thought she deserves to go out on her terms, and I expect this does it. If the RU season is another disaster, then I suppose a tough decision would be made, but that isn't really expected.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

But there is a reasonable expectation that this season will be reasonably successful, unlike last year's 6 win fiasco. Not maybe as successful as fans, the team and CVS would like or were used to, but it is anticipated that the team will be above .500. The players on the team are hoping to win the 23 games to give CViv 1000 wins, but most folks I talk to think that is likely a bit over-optimistic.

Really, I can't imagine that the contract extension is about anything except getting her to 1000 wins and not leaving the cupboard bare.

I have always thought she deserves to go out on her terms, and I expect this does it. If the RU season is another disaster, then I suppose a tough decision would be made, but that isn't really expected.
Rutgers will be better than last year. They get back Tyler Scaife and they have a crop of transfers, some of them quite good, who will now be eligible. This article has a lot of information on their personnel turnover:
Rutgers women's basketball: From worst to NCAA Tournament? 'We want revenge' | 9 things to know

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score

I myself am being very optimistic. I think this could be a very good team, it will come down to chemistry, our bench play, and if the players really buy into playing defense the way CVS wants. I miss seeing the "55" in the old days when brought havoc onto the other team. Plus a big key will be Tyler. If she's ready, we'll be pretty darn good. But like I said, me= very optimistic(which I always have been and have been let down, so I figure one of these years I'll be right. Let it be this year!)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
For what it’s worth, I was surprised at how good Baylor’s freshmen played. Alexis Morris is FAST and can get to the basket in the blink of the eye. Cox is much more fit this season and much more comfortable on the court. Chou can shoot the lights out.

Brown = POY candidate. VERY fit!

Gonna be a fun bunch to watch.

Reaction Score
For what it’s worth, I was surprised at how good Baylor’s freshmen played. Alexis Morris is FAST and can get to the basket in the blink of the eye. Cox is much more fit this season and much more comfortable on the court. Chou can shoot the lights out.

Looking at the box score, looks like Brown, Cox, and Cohan all started, Baylor has no size off the bench, it could catch up to them at some point, but not likely during that so so preseason schedule.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
From my archives:
" Yes, Alexis Jones, who is going to be the best PG in the nation this season, IMO"
@easttexastrash Fall of 2016

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member