Non-Key Tweets | Page 989 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score

With TNT no longer having NBA games, maybe they'll want to pick up some regular season CBB games with Big East?

Reaction Score

With TNT no longer having NBA games, maybe they'll want to pick up some regular season CBB games with Big East?

"Inside the Big East"?

Reaction Score
"Inside the Big East"?
That show is supportive of my theory that the New Big East is mainly about nostalgia. They spend more than half the show talking about games and players from schools who have not been in the league for at least 10 years. The last one I heard they were discussing the 2006(?) Pitt-Syracuse championship game. Another night they did Louisville-Syracuse. They spend more time on former players from those schools too. Maybe focus on the current membership just a little. Of course, if they did that they could only discuss UConn and Villanova. Nobody else has accomplished much.

Reaction Score
That show is supportive of my theory that the New Big East is mainly about nostalgia. They spend more than half the show talking about games and players from schools who have not been in the league for at least 10 years. The last one I heard they were discussing the 2006(?) Pitt-Syracuse championship game. Another night they did Louisville-Syracuse. They spend more time on former players from those schools too. Maybe focus on the current membership just a little. Of course, if they did that they could only discuss UConn and Villanova. Nobody else has accomplished much.
Regarding the Big East/Fox's promotion of "nostalgia": is it any or different from ACC (ESPN) promoting Duke v NC and NC v NC State as the "tobacco road" league, when the reality is that the ACC is light years removed from that era of the conference? Fair or not, the reason why the nostalgia angle is promoted is because a certain segment of the fans (largely the casual ones) will tune in for it.

Reaction Score
Regarding the Big East/Fox's promotion of "nostalgia": is it any or different from ACC (ESPN) promoting Duke v NC and NC v NC State as the "tobacco road" league, when the reality is that the ACC is light years removed from that era of the conference? Fair or not, the reason why the nostalgia angle is promoted is because a certain segment of the fans (largely the casual ones) will tune in for it.
I get what you’re saying but it is different in that Duke, UNC and State still play each other every year and UNC-Duke is still a significant game, and all are still part of the admittedly expanded ACC. PITT and Syracuse have been gone from the Big East for 10 years. And stabbed the league in the back on the way out. It is just weird to celebrate them.

Reaction Score
Duke, UNC, NC State, and Wake Forest…as the Tobacco Road rivalry, is kind of unique.

Four schools that before Wake moved were within 25 miles of each other…with storied coaches like Jimmy Valvano, Dean Smith, Roy Williams, Coach K and rivalries going back before 1908….multiple national (championships (13) between them…as well as currency (UNC vs Duke is a perennial most watched regular season game).

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
College basketball fanbases:

IMG_2623.jpeg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They're under die hards but hard to see.
Which seems fair since that program has been dying a hard death for a while now.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

I think this would be fun and sort of cool that the PAC12 name somehow lives on. Under this rumor, Wyoming, Nevada, Air Force, New Mexico, San Jose St and Hawaii are left behind. Of those brands, I'd feel a little bad for Wyoming.

Reaction Score
Wonder if Stanford/Cal would join this conference if it came to fruition? SMU would prefer to remain in the eastern/central time zone with their conference affiliation.

Reaction Score
Lot of smoke about ACC going to 20 and no mention of UConn…. SDSU, USF, even Memphis are mentioned.
That seems to give this some legitimacy no?

GG

Reaction Score
Lot of smoke about ACC going to 20 and no mention of UConn…. SDSU, USF, even Memphis are mentioned.
That seems to give this some legitimacy no?
There is some mention of UCONN, but none of these people appear to have any real insider information.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom