Non-Key Tweets | Page 877 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Do you think this merger could be executed without disturbing the ACC GOR?

I think the purpose of a merger would be to disturb the ACC GOR. The only way I see out of that GOR is to dissolve the ACC and fold it into a different league.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I got the impression that he believes the event will benefit UConn, while believing your view will hurt UConn. But I didn’t notice that he and the many others that shared his view conclude that you hate UConn.

I am right and he is wrong.

Reaction Score
In my opinion, our current situation is not sustainable long-term. This is probably our last shot of playing in the big leagues. Even ND hedged on football independence. That should have been the sign to all paying attention.

Reaction Score
I hate to say this but I think we were a mere day or two away from being invited along with Colorado over a month ago until someone in their BOR killed it at the last moment. Word going around is someone told the Colorado BOR to stall, and the subsequent meeting (presumably to take an informal vote to leave) was shelved.
Consistent with what I heard. Although what was said was that it could still happen. Talks continuing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think the purpose of a merger would be to disturb the ACC GOR. The only way I see out of that GOR is to dissolve the ACC and fold it into a different league.
the gor would probably be adjusted somehow to be fairer to the pac . otherwise it would start a free for all exodus of the acc teams

Reaction Score
I agree. I think for a merger to be possible, it will require those ACC teams who want out to agree to a new GOR, it will require ESPN to extend a linear contract to PAC teams with a dollar amount that satisfies both the PAC and ACC teams, and it will require both the PAC and ACC to give up some of the brand value they have each built in their current conferences. If ESPN wants an intact ACC and the benefits of owning the PAC rights, it would surely be cheaper to buy the PAC as is and simulate a merger through scheduling. All the whispers so far would suggest that ESPN has no interest in the PAC at market rate.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
You say that like it's a crime. Buying a team has, like marijuana, been legalized. Get used to it.

Everyone is now playing the NIL game and I agree with Nelson that it actually levels the playing field somewhat. We had a very unusual final four this year, and now St John's is back like it's 1985 again. Who knows what our football team is now capable of with these new (lack of) rules. We just need a P5 stage to stand on and things might really take off for Mora and the team.
No, I’m just looking at over vs under the table.

It’s kind of like pot legalization. Has the market fundamentally changed? Yes. Is it legal and easier to do now? Yes.

Does that mean you can walk around high all day? Certainly not.

To the SEC point - they were the ones growing their own in the back 40. Doesn’t change much, aside from taking away some risk.

Miami was the college dealer - all flash and easy targets.

The ones who didn’t do it before can now dabble risk free. Some will succeed. Many will not.

It scares me a little how much this analogy fits.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I agree. I think for a merger to be possible, it will require those ACC teams who want out to agree to a new GOR, it will require ESPN to extend a linear contract to PAC teams with a dollar amount that satisfies both the PAC and ACC teams, and it will require both the PAC and ACC to give up some of the brand value they have each built in their current conferences. If ESPN wants an intact ACC and the benefits of owning the PAC rights, it would surely be cheaper to buy the PAC as is and simulate a merger through scheduling. All the whispers so far would suggest that ESPN has no interest in the PAC at market rate.

@Forte link is a great theory for why the Pac 12 is all smiles despite the delays.

ESPN is facing an existential threat as a middleman in a market that is becoming direct. I don't see how in 5 years ESPN has anywhere near the NBA, MLB or NFL content that it currently has. It has to do something for content.

Comcast swapping its Hulu stake for cash and a piece of ESPN would kind of make sense, since Comcast is basically going to become an Internet bandwidth provider + NBC/Peacock.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The ESPN/Hulu solution could very well be the golden ticket the P-12 needs. If I were in charge of one of the current PAC schools my first question would be how close this is to being announced.

Once something like this is announced (the article said early 2024) the SEC and FCC will need to come in, review everything and sign off on the deal and those things don't normally move very fast. An acquisition/merger by a company I was working for not quite 30 years ago (major health care players at the time) took 15 months for SEC sign-off (no FCC involved) and then we were required to sell ~20% of our business to a third party competitor to get the transactions approved.

At the moment the PAC is about ten months away from having no media contract. This could be a major concern for many of the member schools.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You say that like it's a crime. Buying a team has, like marijuana, been legalized. Get used to it.

Everyone is now playing the NIL game and I agree with Nelson that it actually levels the playing field somewhat. We had a very unusual final four this year, and now St John's is back like it's 1985 again. Who knows what our football team is now capable of with these new (lack of) rules. We just need a P5 stage to stand on and things might really take off for Mora and the team.
It does have the potential to level the field somewhat. But for schools who aren't proactive and lack the resources to take advantage of it it is going to be extraordinarily hard to compete. Fortuitously, Connecticut seems to be managing it well.

Reaction Score
The espn angle hinges on 2 issues, IMHO

When and how Disney sound them out. Who owns, how much free cash do they have to invest in content, etc. all we know is there will be a new driver deciding which direction they go.

How anyone sees cable being a future, esp late night cable involving programs with little national interest.

If im the PAC I am not smiling. Not yet, anyway.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
@Forte link is a great theory for why the Pac 12 is all smiles despite the delays.

ESPN is facing an existential threat as a middleman in a market that is becoming direct. I don't see how in 5 years ESPN has anywhere near the NBA, MLB or NFL content that it currently has. It has to do something for content.

Comcast swapping its Hulu stake for cash and a piece of ESPN would kind of make sense, since Comcast is basically going to become an Internet bandwidth provider + NBC/Peacock.
To add onto this:

ESPN is now actively contemplating going fully online (i.e. no cable subscription needed). Having a partnership with a major internet provider wouldn’t be a bad start.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Not a tweet, but editorial that basically says UConn must take a Big12 offer, notwithstanding nostalgia. Ground being prepared?

Pretty good opinion piece with the exception of this quote towards the end that sticks in my craw as an alum, fan and competitor (well, at least mentally, now that I'm slightly past my prime):

"Football will never be great, but could be competitive, and draw more fan interest."

"Will never be great" and "could be competitive" are not words any high level athlete or great coach will ever utter. Nor would a diehard fan. But they might make for some good locker room signage.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Pretty good opinion piece with the exception of this quote towards the end that sticks in my craw as an alum, fan and competitor (well, at least mentally, now that I'm slightly past my prime):

"Football will never be great, but could be competitive, and draw more fan interest."

"Will never be great" and "could be competitive" are not words any high level athlete or great coach will ever utter. Nor would a diehard fan. But they might make for some good locker room signage.
Agree

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom