Non-Key Tweets | Page 732 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
If the SEC ever got UNC (w Duke), that might destabilize the conference. But the Heels have too much of a good deal in the ACC that I can't ever imagine them wanting to leave.

The worst case scenario for the ACC, I think, if if there is another round of conference realignment, is for the B1G and SEC to gang-up on the ACC with UVA, UNC, and Duke going to the B1G and V Tech and NC State going to the SEC. The Academics within UVA, UNC and Duke would love this. UNC Alumni, less so.

Reaction Score
UNC would never go SEC, and I can’t see how they’d allow State to go SEC. They’ll go down with the good ship. UVA is likely tied to UNC as well, and the value of Duke without UNC is questionable. The low-hanging fruit that could cause an earthquake are Georgia Tech, Clemson, and Florida State, which is probably a bridge too far for the B10 and a bridge too close for the SEC.

Reaction Score
UNC would never go SEC, and I can’t see how they’d allow State to go SEC. They’ll go down with the good ship. UVA is likely tied to UNC as well, and the value of Duke without UNC is questionable. The low-hanging fruit that could cause an earthquake are Georgia Tech, Clemson, and Florida State, which is probably a bridge too far for the B10 and a bridge too close for the SEC.

Georgia would fight letting Georgia Tech back in, S. Carolina would fight Clemson and Florida would fight Florida State. Would be an interesting battle. People forget that Georgia Tech was in the SEC until 1964. They thought being an independent was the way to go. (And they hated Alabama).

Reaction Score
MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 Nov 15
On the docket for later: playoff expansion close to reality? End of the bowl alliance? Big12 and B1G expansion? Demise of a P5 league?

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 Nov 15
It happened about this time last year and it’s happening again with renewed vigor: playoff expansion discussions between conference presidents.

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 Nov 15
With the very real possibility of 3 of the 5 power conferences being left out, presidents are regretting this bill of goods they’ve been sold.

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 Nov 15
A 1-loss ND being left out would also be a catalyst that could cause the Irish to join the ACC in all sports.

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 Nov 15
ESPN is happy to accommodate to expand the playoffs but could also see fox or nbc get in on the action for new first round games.

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 Nov 15
I’ll return this afternoon to go into a lot more detail on expansion. Big things happening. It’ll be hard to pac it all in tweets.

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 Nov 15
Abysmal ratings. Botched attempt at a conference network. In-fighting between schools. One conference has become ripe for defections that could change the landscape of college football again. That conference is the Pac12.

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 Nov 15
There were cracks showing over 2 years ago. Two schools reached out to the B12(Arizona and Arizona State) at the 11th hour of B12 expanding.

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 Nov 15
B12 was about to invite BYU and Cincinnati despite pressure from ESPN to not expand. The brief talks with the two P12 schools were a revelation that in the near future the B12 would have better options for expansion.

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 Nov 15
Fast forward to now and the Pac12 has not gotten better. The anchor school of USC has not returned to power. Stanford can’t find its footing. Oregon is improving but still a far cry from where they were. The Arizona schools are still reeling from the botched attempt to raid B12

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 Nov 15
Late games with poor ratings. A network no one watches. Fan interest generally the lowest of the P5. The final straw for the Arizona schools was watching Fox put a nascar truck race higher priority over a conference game.

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 Nov 15
Arizona and Arizona State will be leaving to join the B12. It’s not even a matter of if now-just when. Talks have been ongoing for a long time. This will return the B12 to its namesake and with the larger tv markets added will be lucrative for the networks as well.

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 Nov 15
But it won’t stop there.

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 Nov 15
B10 is poised to win the biggest prize with a sizable chunk of the existing Pac12 and the first true national power conference that will span from coast to coast.

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 Nov 15
The leftovers from such a move would be ripe for the taking for the B12. Possibly even returning a former member to the fold.

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 Nov 15
As a WVU guy this is not the type of expansion I would’ve hoped for. The near miss of FSU and Clemson still stings.

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 Nov 15
I know that WVU has tried to negotiate an out with the B12 for a move to either the SEC or ACC if either expands again.

J. Haught‏ @DubVii Nov 15
If the B10 were to take a "sizable chunk" would they also, in turn, look to dump an equal amount of existing schools?

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 Nov 15
Replying to @DubVii
No. The B1G has always had contingency for up to 20 members.

Robbie Jay‏ @Robbiejay84 Nov 15
Which teams would the Big10 Target? USC, Stanford, Cal, Oregon, Washington? Those seem to be the ones that fit the profile best

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 Nov 15
Replying to @Robbiejay84
Add UCLA to that list and you’d have the prize.

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 Nov 15
Even the local media in Arizona knows something is going on. Recent stories have hinted as much.

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 Nov 15
The Pac12 as a whole is not as valuable to networks due to geography. But in chunks as part of conferences with a more central and eastern makeup they become more valuable.

Tim Webb‏ @realtimwebb Nov 15
Any change the scraps come together with top G5 teams to form a decent conference ( maybe not “power” )

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 Nov 15
Replying to @realtimwebb
I’d imagine if Utah, Washington State, and Oregon State are left holding the Pac12 name they could form a new conference with MW schools and BYU.

Texas Cyclone ‏ @TXCyclones Nov 15
But can anyone really call that a “prize”?

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 Nov 15
Replying to @TXCyclones
A true blue football program in USC, the school with unlimited potential in Oregon, a near blue FB program in Stanford, and a true blue basketball program in UCLA. It’s like winning the powerball.

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 21m21 minutes ago
Notre Dame is very close to going all-in with the ACC. NBC contract will remain and ND will receive a full share off ACC revenue while “paying” member schools whose games with them appear on NBC

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 20m20 minutes ago
This would necessitate the ACC needing to add a 14th member to keep the divisions even.

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 19m19 minutes ago
WVU would be the main target for most ACC schools due to profile and since half the conference is comprised of former conference mates.

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 19m19 minutes ago
WVU would not leave B12 before GOR expires unless an out could be agreed on.

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 17m17 minutes ago
Other schools ACC would target include UCONN, Temple(yes Temple), Houston, and possibly a sweetheart deal to try and lure Texas(would never happen but Swofford will try)

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 16m16 minutes ago
Don’t count out Cincinnati as a possible target but the two Florida directional AAC schools will not get a sniff due to FSU and Miami.

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 16m16 minutes ago
I meant 16th member. Sorry. Brain fart.

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 13m13 minutes ago
Meanwhile B12 is looking to become the sports content provider for a new Disney streaming service that is looking to replace Netflix as the number 1 streaming service.

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 12m12 minutes ago
This new service could be the new home of many of B12 Olympic sports including a large swath of the baseball games.

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 12m12 minutes ago
Financials wouldn’t be a huge boost but every million or two per school helps.

Reaction Score
Fun to speculate, but

I fail to see why ND goes to the ACC. Because IF there's a 1-loss Irish team it MIGHT not get in the playoff? That's a bunch of low probability events to give up a century of independence. And how would being the ACC help? This year, not being in the ACC gives them a shot at the playoffs. If they were in the ACC, they'd lose to Clemson in the conf title game and not even make the CFP.

And how exactly does the BiG work with 6 west coast schools? There's no way that NE,IA,MN,WI would stand for being in a FB division with the Pac schools.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Also if the PAC loses schools to a conference that is largely 7 filler schools + TX, OKL, KANS, their commish will go down as worst all time, supplanting Mike Tranghese.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Prediction - nothing conference related changes. Evergreen post for a long time. Expansion of playoffs however is possible because it just wouldn’t take much effort.

Reaction Score
MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 Nov 15
MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 Nov 15
With the very real possibility of 3 of the 5 power conferences being left out, presidents are regretting this bill of goods they’ve been sold.

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 Nov 15
A 1-loss ND being left out would also be a catalyst that could cause the Irish to join the ACC in all sports.

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 Nov 15
There were cracks showing over 2 years ago. Two schools reached out to the B12(Arizona and Arizona State) at the 11th hour of B12 expanding.

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 Nov 15
B12 was about to invite BYU and Cincinnati despite pressure from ESPN to not expand. The brief talks with the two P12 schools were a revelation that in the near future the B12 would have better options for expansion.

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 Nov 15
Arizona and Arizona State will be leaving to join the B12. It’s not even a matter of if now-just when. Talks have been ongoing for a long time. This will return the B12 to its namesake and with the larger tv markets added will be lucrative for the networks as well.

Robbie Jay‏ @Robbiejay84 Nov 15
Which teams would the Big10 Target? USC, Stanford, Cal, Oregon, Washington? Those seem to be the ones that fit the profile best

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 Nov 15
Replying to @Robbiejay84
Add UCLA to that list and you’d have the prize.

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 Nov 15
Replying to @realtimwebb
I’d imagine if Utah, Washington State, and Oregon State are left holding the Pac12 name they could form a new conference with MW schools and BYU.

The only item that makes sense here is if somehow an UNDEFEATED ND team is left out of the 2019 college playoffs. That may cause problems for everyone.

Outside of that, the P5 won't consolidate to 3 conferences. Too many states schools left out that will lead to angry politicians and a lot of court traffic. For example, politicians will not allow Washington and Oregon to 'abandon' Washington St. and Oregon St. to a lesser confernce, especially on the academic side. Also, half of Arizona's population is from California and a big chunk of their recruits and alumni live in SoCal. I can't see Arizona and Arizona St. cutting their ties to that critical market.

Reaction Score
Fun to speculate, but...

And how exactly does the BiG work with 6 west coast schools?

I would argue the only way the B1G "works" with the Pac-12 is to carve-up the Big-XII. Consider the following facts:

1) Pac-12 Network launches in 2012

2) August 9, 2018 GlobalNOC (a proxy for the B1G) releases its Networks Annual Report 2017 detailing that the Pac-12 called-in GlobalNOC to knock down the Pac-12 Network to bare studs & totally rebuild it from the ground up.

GlobalNOC Pac-12 combo.png

3) The new Pac-12 streams (1,000+) now all pass through a control room on Indiana's campus

4) The "new" network (indistinguishable from the old network to viewers), which launched sometime in 2017, now has 16 networked sites as opposed to the original 12 networked sites, which begs the question: "Where are these new sites located and/or possibly which universities do these new sites represent?"

Reaction Score
Prediction - nothing conference related changes. Evergreen post for a long time. Expansion of playoffs however is possible because it just wouldn’t take much effort.

And there is more money in an expanded playoff

Reaction Score
AltDude is looking at it backwards. A 1-loss ND may crowd out 2 P5 champions.

Notre Dame only needs to beat USC to be 12-0 and complete their run of the table...

Alabama and Clemson, the other undefeateds, have two more games....if the SEC Champ and ACC champ finish 13-0, they are in.

The question then becomes whether a 12-1 Big Ten or Big 12 Champ will roll 12-0 Notre Dame out of the play off.

If Clemson loses one of the remaining two games, the ACC could be out...but I don't see Clemson losing.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame only needs to beat USC to be 12-0 and complete their run of the table...

Alabama and Clemson, the other undefeateds, have two more games....if the SEC Champ and ACC champ finish 13-0, they are in.

The question then becomes whether a 12-1 Big Ten or Big 12 Champ will roll 12-0 Notre Dame out of the play off.

If Clemson loses one of the remaining two games, the ACC could be out...but I don't see Clemson losing.

I think the worst case scenario for the Playoff Committee is if Georgia upsets Alabama in the SEC title game while ND, Clemson and Michigan win their remaining games. Under this scenario, undefeated and ACC champ Clemson is in. The committee has proven in the past it will not say no to a 1-loss Alabama team that does not even wins its conference championship and will not say no to a 1-loss SEC conference champion in Georgia that beat 'Bama. Now, if Michigan wins The Game over Ohio St and then the B1G championship against Northwestern, I think that will give them enough 'points' to vault ND, even with their head-to-head win loss to ND in week 1, into the playoffs.

UCF is not even in this conversation regardless of their SOS and any other factor because the entire system is designed to lock-out any non P5 team from the championship game, i.e. money. Oklahoma, which will have issues with West Virginia or Texas in the XII title game, and Washington St, are both out even if they win their conference championships as they have not done enough and do not have a marquee win or two against the top 10.

Oklahoma XII champion locked-out of the playoff will send the XII into a panic while and undefeated ND being locked-out will cause an all-out war.

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I think the worst case scenario for the Playoff Committee is if Georgia upsets Alabama in the SEC title game while ND, Clemson and Michigan win their remaining games. Under this scenario, undefeasted and ACC champ Clemson is in. The committee has proven it will no say no to a 1-loss Alabama team that does not even wins its conference championship and will not say no to a 1-loss SEC conference champion in Georgia. Now, if Michigan wins The Game over Ohio St and then the B1G championship against Northwestern, I think that will give them enough 'points' to vault ND, even with their head-to-head win loss to ND in week 1, into the playoffs.

UCF is not even in this conversation regardless of their SOS and any other factor because the entire system is designed to lock-out any non P5 team from the championship game, i.e. money. Oklahoma, which will have issues with West Virginia or Texas in the XII title game, and Washington St, are both out even if they win their conference championships as they have not done enough and do not have a marquee win or two against the top 10.

Oklahoma XII champion locked-out of the playoff will send the XII into a panic while and undefeated ND being locked-out will cause an all-out war.

You have given me another something to root for. Georgia beating Alabama like you said would absolutely cause chaos and provoke whiny Notre Dame to whine some more.

UCF will never get in and that's why this Playoff system is an absolute sham.

Reaction Score
You have given me another something to root for. Georgia beating Alabama like you said would absolutely cause chaos and provoke whiny Notre Dame to whine some more.

UCF will never get in and that's why this Playoff system is an absolute sham.

UCF needs to play a top 30 team....they have not done so...

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
UCF needs to play a top 30 team....they have not done so...

Hmmm...UCF hasn't lost in nearly 2 years. If these "polls" (i.e. power conference popularity contests) were properly and accurately weighted, you would see UCF has beaten 3 top-30 caliber teams this year: Pitt, Temple, and Cincinnati. Memphis is fairly decent and it's a shame the UNC game was PPD because UCF would have manhandled them easily, just like they did with Pitt. The USF game will give them another decent win along with the AAC Championship Game. That's 3-5 wins against top-30 teams. Same as Alabama, Clemson, Michigan, or anyone else the Old Money Club claims is better.

Such a crock.

Reaction Score
No Top 30 in Sagarin's ratings.

In Massey Compilation...Pitt sneaks in at #30
....Cincinnati at 34...Temple at 43.

You think that they are sweet, but the bees don't know it.

Reaction Score
The ACC is vastly over rated. Clemson is actually the only the only team that is legit elite. Everyone else is average at best.

Reaction Score
Sagarin ratings use...wait for it...conference weighting in their formula. In other words: bias. Or as bees would say: biuzzzzzzzzz.

Yeah....and just where do you find "conference weighting" in his formula?

You made that up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom