Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
1543013434986.gif

Reaction Score
I remember how FSU broke through...

Played Ohio State twice in the Shoe...no return

Played Michigan twice in the Big House...no return

Played Nebraska twice in Lincoln (when the Huskers were kings)..no return.

Played Michigan State twice in Lansing...no return

Played LSU at Death Valley...five times...no return

I don't buy the whine "nobody will schedule us"

Reaction Score
FSU also scheduled Notre Dame two away for one return on that push.

and Auburn...three away for one return.

If you have the will to move into the arena...it can be done.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
FSU also scheduled Notre Dame two away for one return on that push.

and Auburn...three away for one return.

If you have the will to move into the arena...it can be done.

Or play in the Florida recruiting area before nearly every conference added FL teams. Please take your whining somewhere else. The cesspool idiots have all capitulated and I'm looking for fresh game.

Reaction Score
I remember how FSU broke through...

Played Ohio State twice in the Shoe...no return

Played Michigan twice in the Big House...no return

Played Nebraska twice in Lincoln (when the Huskers were kings)..no return.

Played Michigan State twice in Lansing...no return

Played LSU at Death Valley...five times...no return

I don't buy the whine "nobody will schedule us"
I worked for you all in the old days, but it won't work like that any more.

Reaction Score
Who has LSU beat to show they are a quality win? Miami is barely bowl eligible.

I would love to embarrass you by going team by team showing how there are almost no interconference contests that can say any team has a definitively better resume than a team not in their confernce, but I suspect you are a CFB inbred in terms of buying into the system because it protects an FSU team far removed from it's glory days.

All any team can say is they are the best team from their conference. Hence the reason only champions should be considered.

And the correct answer to the question, "Who has UCF beaten?" is, "Everyone they played."

If you can't match that, then you are behind them in worthiness for the playoff.

Any other answer is biased.

LSU beat Georgia 36-16. I think that is the quality win that has them in the top 10.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
LSU beat Georgia 36-16. I think that is the quality win that has them in the top 10.

While I completely agree with you, the big debate is everything is within the SEC. Who did LSU beat to deserve that top 10 ranking. Was it based off of beating other SEC teams. Was it based off of last year or on reputation? Too much of an echo chamber, especially when it’s better for ESPN to teams they “own” in the playoffs. When ESPN controls the narrative, they have sway over who gets in and who is ranked high.

Reaction Score
While I completely agree with you, the big debate is everything is within the SEC. Who did LSU beat to deserve that top 10 ranking. Was it based off of beating other SEC teams. Was it based off of last year or on reputation? Too much of an echo chamber, especially when it’s better for ESPN to teams they “own” in the playoffs. When ESPN controls the narrative, they have sway over who gets in and who is ranked high.

I don’t disagree, but which teams did Michigan or Ohio State beat which were outside the Big Ten. Did any of these wins make them deserving of a top ten ranking? What was michigan’s best win outside of the Big Ten? What was Ohio States top win out of the Big Ten?

Reaction Score
I think ND should automatically be crowned mythical national champions in football all the time., since they are not in a conference. Someone else will be the real national champion after the playoffs. ND will not need to participate in the playoffs as their position is secured.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score

LSU was 5-3 in conference, Purdue was 5-4 with an equally quality win. I am attempting to penetrate the delusion that conference rep is statistically significant. Most of the teams/games used to puff up the SEC or any conference is based solely on weak OOC scheduling and a not quite round robin of conference games.

Are Bama and Georgia the two best SEC teams, obviously based on a simple look at their record. Are they better than OSU, OU, Clemson, or even UCF? You have no idea because there simply isn't enough data to make that leap objectively. The best example I can give is UCF last season, all the experts said they weren't worthy of a bid because they'd be non-competitive. Well all they did was beat the one team to beat the eventual national champ.

I know the Bama/UGA winner will be the best team in the SEC, I know OU/TX winner will be the best team in the B12. I already know that OSU is the best team in the B1G regardless of the NW outcome. They winner of UW/Utah will have the best claim in the P-12, and the UCF/Memphis winner will depending on the score have an asterisked claim in the AAC.

The winner in each matchup is the legitimate pool of contenders. You can eliminate Memphis, the P-12, NW, TX, and the loser of the SEC because these aren't play-in games. Whomever is left should get the bids based on 1) number of losses and the balance of quality wins vs suspect losses. And by quality wins, I don't mean teams who are barely over .500 in their conference. Bama would be a quality win for Georgia (and vice versa), Michigan for OSU, OU has none really (TX lost to MD in their only test outside a really bad B12) but it might be enough if not for an undefeated ND and UCF. Clemson's best win is TA&M. Fine if they win, but not enough if they lose without help. They should easily be Pitt, so to simplify this I keep them at 13-0

The correct selection should be either:

1. Bama...….1. ND
2. ND-...…….2. Clemson
3. Clemson..3. UCF
4. UCF...…..…..4. UGA (as champ over Mich and better win/loss over OSU and OU)
5. OSU...…….5. OSU (as champ over Bama)
6. OU...……….6. OU (as champ over Bama)

A loss by UCF, Bama or Clemson drops them to the bottom and everyone moves up (OU 2x over TX beats Clemson over TAMU. A 1-loss Bama best win would also be TAMU).

The desire to try to overthink this to satisfy the money/power interests of the P5 is the reason the committee exists. We spend an entire season to figure out who isn't the best team, then we make excuses at the end to make sure that name programs/conferences get the nod.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Reaction Score

I don’t disagree, but which teams did Michigan or Ohio State beat which were outside the Big Ten. Did any of these wins make them deserving of a top ten ranking? What was michigan’s best win outside of the Big Ten? What was Ohio States top win out of the Big Ten?

This is exactly the point. Because no one play anyone OOC outside a game or two nationally, no one can say which conference wins count more comparatively. Hence, with a few exceptions champions only is the only true way to do this.

The media and committee are ranking based on reputation or the "eye" test. Not exactly sport is it? It's closer to figure skating that we'd like to admit.

Reaction Score
The media and committee are ranking based on reputation or the "eye" test. Not exactly sport is it? It's closer to figure skating that we'd like to admit.

A bunch of teams...they don't play each other...the same can be said for basketball seeding.

A bunch of guys in the back room...basketball, football, figure skating...

Reaction Score
This is exactly the point. Because no one play anyone OOC outside a game or two nationally, no one can say which conference wins count more comparatively. Hence, with a few exceptions champions only is the only true way to do this.

They need the eye test because there are more than ten conferences and only four playoff spots. And they don’t even always give it to the champions of the conference. Clearly conference affiliation is worthless in this process. Which is why the idea that ND should be forced to be in a conference to participate in the playoff is ridiculous.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score

A bunch of teams...they don't play each other...the same can be said for basketball seeding.

A bunch of guys in the back room...basketball, football, figure skating...

For the at large bids beyond the ibvious ones sure but every conference champion gets a bid any every team plays about a dozen OOC games and not every one is a cupcake.

BB is not a good argument to support the CFP. If they started with the P5 champions and the best G5 champion they at large wouldn't matter as much. Instead they shoehorn as many SEC teams and brand into the mix as possible and hope that they can sell the outcome at the end.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
They need the eye test because there are more than ten conferences and only four playoff spots. And they don’t even always give it to the champions of the conference. Clearly conference affiliation is worthless in this process. Which is why the idea that ND should be forced to be in a conference to participate in the playoff is ridiculous.

Clearly all ND has to do to he in the mix is win 11 and beat beat one other contender. With their schedule they almost always get that chance.

ND will need to join a conference the minute the B1G gets tired of getting left out.

And they don't need the eye test, they want it because it can't be questioned.

Reaction Score
Clearly all ND has to do to he in the mix is win 11 and beat beat one other contender. With their schedule they almost always get that chance.

ND will need to join a conference the minute the B1G gets tired of getting left out.

And they don't need the eye test, they want it because it can't be questioned.

The Big Ten needs a one loss team, where the one loss wasn’t a 29 point loss to Purdue, combined with giving up 51 points to a 5-7 Maryland.

Reaction Score
The correct selection should be either:
1. Bama...….1. ND
2. ND-...…….2. Clemson
3. Clemson..3. UCF
4. UCF...…..…..4. UGA (as champ over Mich and better win/loss over OSU and OU)
5. OSU...…….5. OSU (as champ over Bama)
6. OU...……….6. OU (as champ over Bama)

This is also why a expansion to 6 playoffs teams, 1 slot for each P5 Conference leader and 1 G5 slot because at last one conference will always demand that their 2 best teams are better than everyone else's #1 (and sometimes they are right) and then there would be the issue with the contractually obligated ND entry and a G5 entry as I can't see how the Playoff Committee does not allow a G5 participant, especially an undefeated G5 team, with 6 playoff slots without a major lawsuit and/or US Congressional Investigation.

That said, this is what a 6 team playoff could have looked like this season with ND basically replacing the PAC 12 winner and no second team from the SEC (likely Georgia).

Round 1
  • #6 UCF @ #3 ND
  • #5 Ohio St @ #4 Oklahoma
Round 2
  • ND @ #2 Clemson
  • Oklahoma @ #1 Alabama
Final in Santa Clara CA
  • Alabama (so decreed by his almighty, Mr. Saban, regardless of actual on-field results)
More realistically is an 8 team playoff with 5 guaranteed P5 slots, 1 G5 slot, and 2 Open Slots, one of which would be for ND should they qualify. For this season, this could be a possibility. The biggest argument here is if a second team from the XII or B1G should get in over UCF or this year's PAC winner.

Round 1
  • #8 Washington @ #1 Alabama
  • #7 UCF @ #2 Clemson
  • #6 Georgia @ #3 Notre Dame
  • #5 Ohio St @ #4 Oklahoma
Round 2
  • w/o Ohio St/Oklahoma v. w/o Washington/Alabama @ LA (Rose Bowl)
  • w/o Georgia/ND v. w/o UCF/Clemson @ Miami (Orange Bowl)
Final in Santa Clara CA
  • Alabama (so decreed by his almighty, Mr. Saban, regardless of actual on-field results)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom