Non-Key Tweets | Page 735 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Football season is definitely almost over.

1543501214893.png

"I'm glad you like your dinner BTM, so let's talk conference realignment."​

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I don’t disagree, but which teams did Michigan or Ohio State beat which were outside the Big Ten. Did any of these wins make them deserving of a top ten ranking? What was michigan’s best win outside of the Big Ten? What was Ohio States top win out of the Big Ten?

Never said they did. It’s the fallacy in the system and it was designed to be that way. Making this a subjective policy, they can push who will make them the most money.

Reaction Score
Never said they did. It’s the fallacy in the system and it was designed to be that way. Making this a subjective policy, they can push who will make them the most money.

I agree. Conferences screw everything up. I think it’s obvious that only teams that aren’t in conferences should be allowed in the playoff.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 2h2 hours ago
This is going to take a bit. Plenty of tweets incoming. This info comes from BTM on Saturday night. (Dinner-Sushi) BTM is a Big Ten Source who has broken multiple local and national stories though us on Twitter and @Minnesota247

Again..all info is coming from BTM. From Big Ten perspective. It’s real...it’s big.

I shared some of this info before today with my good friend @Expansion_Crush. I was hoping to use different platform to distribute this info. Story for another day.

FOX Sports (21st Century FOX) who owns 51% of Big Ten Network and holds 50% of Big Ten Tier 1/2 Contract from 2017-2022 + Big Ten Football CCG is overjoyed with the content and ratings Big Ten have delivered in first 2 years of said contract.

It can’t be undersold the relationship FOX Sports and Big Ten now has..the relationship is cemented in the fact Mark Silverman holds both position as head of Big Ten Network & FOX Sports. I needed to explain all of this to give context to what BTM just told us Saturday night.

FOX Sports gave a massive contract to Big Ten Network for Tier 1&2 content + CCG + Basketball..etc. The TV AD rates FOX Sports have been able to pass on to its customers..well... FOX Sports is all in on Big Ten Live Sport Content now and into the future. ALL IN.

FOX Sports & Big Ten want more. Working in tandem they want more. They believe there is an opportunity to gain more content for next Media contract for both to succeed in tandem. Realignment begins with FOX Sports & Big Ten in their attempt to gain more value.

According to BTM the Big Ten Conference will make Oklahoma & Texas their main targets for expansion for 2024/2025. Both of them. Yes, Texas. Let me explain as best I can what BTM told us on Saturday night.

There is so much to discuss. It would be easier and cleaner if I could do it on a podcast. But I will give it my best shot here on Twitter. BTM went into great detail. Tremendous detail.

First, let’s discuss why Big Ten believes their is an opportunity to add Oklahoma & Texas in 2024 & 2025. It starts with the Big 12 Conference.

Choke points. Choke points to successfully deliver live content comes in 3 different forms. 1) Financing 2) Content 3) Distribution Big 12 does not have a Content issue, nor a Financing issue. But it will have a distribution issue in 2024.

The same reasons why Big 12 could not get an interested distributor in a Conference Network(with or without Texas) is the same reason they won’t get near the same contract for Tier 1&2 Content in their next negotiations compared to SEC & Big Ten. The money gap grows even larger

This is what Big Ten plans to do...already doing. Big Ten Conference, in tandem with FOX Sports, will/have made it known to Oklahoma what their intentions are through 3rd parties. Oklahoma is soon to be negotiationing (with who is unknown at this time) a new 3rd Tier Contract

Big Ten Conference wanted to get out in front of Oklahoma...show them what’s at stake when negotiationing their 3rd Tier Contract. In other words...make it a short term contract Oklahoma because we are willing to make it worthwhile.

Big Ten could not wait to make their intentions known. Big Ten could not wait for 2-3 more years to make plans and act on them. They needed to give OU a road map. And secure place to land once Big 12 GOR is up.

Before I get on to Texas. Let me explain the words Delany expressed today. It was told to us on Saturday night..sure enough..well. Big Ten & ACC will try to push P5 reforms through to make it possible to eliminate Round Robin play in 1 Conference. Let me explain.

Today it’s impossible for SEC, Big Ten, ACC & PAC to lump all their schools into just 1 big division/conference because they would need to play round robin schedule. Delany will push for this reform.

In public Delany and the Big Ten profess to still support divisions. But in private they would encourage the ability for a conference to line up all of their 12-14-16 schools in one division/conference in Football Conference play. But it’s for reasons you might not think of..

Yes, in theory securing “2 best teams” in CCG after Conference play would enhance your Conference ability to gain a spot in College Football Playoffs. But it’s more than..much more than CFP significance.

1) If Big Ten was allowed to have all their schools in 1 Division/Conference with no Round Robin rule it would increase their value to TV/Media even more than it is now. I’m going to get back to this point. 2) Expansion of Conference..expanding value of Conference much easier

Why Texas now? For those of you who have followed BTM over the years and seen him break the news of Notre Dame Hockey to Big Ten..Fleck to Minnesota..etc.. You know he has always stated Texas will not be the target for Big Ten. Things have changed.

Let’s first take it from the perspective of Big Ten Conference. It’s obvious why Big Ten would want Texas. We are not going to waste time discussing the why..but let’s discuss why Big Ten believes they have an opportunity for Texas to actually say yes.

Texas’s options are incredibly limited if you are to believe Oklahoma will leave the Big 12 after 2025. BTM have stated many times it’s the belief of those within the Big Ten and other P5 programs that Oklahoma will leave Big 12 after 2025.

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 4h4 hours ago
Playing Football as an Independent is pretty much is impossible for Texas. Scheduling...and yes, distribution reasons are the major road blocks. Everyone in Texas Leadership will tell you the same thing.

PAC is not a viable option for those in Texas’s leadership. Texas has studied this option for years. For them, above all else, they don’t want to travel West for all their Athletic Programs. Travel is a roadblock much more than PAC’s current issues.

SEC is not seen as a viable option for Texas. Boosters & Faculty of the University of Texas would revolt. Texas is not following Texas A&M to SEC. This is Big Ten perspective.

Now for the last road block LHN...owner by Disney. According to BTM this road block is no more. Nobody now takes this as a serious road block if Texas wants to make a move. There is a contract until 2031 buts it’s not ironclad like the Big 12 GOR of 2025.

If LHN had any truly significant money value to Disney it would be a different story. But LHN is a losing proposition to Disney..and loser to Texas for exposure. LHN is no longer a log in the road..merely a twig (BTM words)

TV Media Contract which Big Ten could say to potential distributor (FOX Sports + Amazon?..CBS?) you will have Ohio State play Texas at least 2 times in 4 years..OU play Penn State 2 times in 4 years..(1 Conference - no Round Robin) Is Delany’s goal.

Now..will Oklahoma and Texas choose to realign themselves into the Big Ten Conference in 2024/2025? We don’t know. But for the first time BTM has information which leads him to an undeniable truth. Oklahoma & Texas are the targets. Yes, Texas

It’s not going to take long to figure out where this is all going. Watch Oklahoma. Watch them. When Oklahoma signs new 3rd Tier Contract and if it’s short term...does not take them past year 2025... Brace for impact.

shoobie doobie doowah‏ @Expansion_Crush 4h4 hours ago
Texas and Oklahoma will be a package deal

Replying to @Expansion_Crush
I never though we would get to this point. Never. But here we are.

shoobie doobie doowah‏ @Expansion_Crush 3h3 hours ago
Replying to @flugempire
Thanks for the detailed update! What do you think Texas's price is? 60 to 70 million a year?

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 3h3 hours ago
Real number will be... This is what you get for 1/2 of Big Ten Tier 1/2 package with FOX Sports (2nd half would be matched by FOX Sports or ESPN or ...etc) + BTN $ vs what you think/hope you will get with ? after Big 12 GOR is up and Big 12 negotiating with ?+? Gap will be real.

If you need something tangible to sink your teeth into when trying to figure out if Big Ten is really planning on being aggressive in next Media negotiations/Realignment..just look at the end date of last contract. 2022.

Remember back at last Big Ten Media negotiations when out of nowhere FOX Sports got 1/2 of Big Ten Tier 1&2 Contract..gave Big Ten massive deal? Why did Big Ten want deal to end 2022? Why not have contract go to 2028?..2030?..when in uncertain times of live media distribution?

Positioning. By 2022 Big Ten and their partner FOX Sports will know the Realignment landscape (wants and needs of Oklahoma & Texas) enough to be able to act and give best effort to land both before Big 12 GOR ends in June 30th, 2025.

Kirk Richardson‏ @kirksreview 4h4 hours ago
Did BTM talk about whether B1G thinks Oklahoma is leaning one way or the other in 2025 - B1G, SEC, staying B12. Logic tells me they will align a short-term 3rd tier contract regardless. Gives them max flexibility. Thoughts?

Replying to @kirksreview
SEC is the competition for Oklahoma. According to BTM Oklahoma will leave Big 12. SEC option is viable according to Big Ten perspective. It’s another reason why Texas is being targeted by Big Ten because Big Ten perspective is SEC is not an option for Texas.

MJ‏ @MinnySeminole 2h2 hours ago
MJ Retweeted Greg Flugaur

This isn’t possible without Tech or OSU partnered up w Texas and OU respectively per most recent state legislatures

Replying to @MinnySeminole
It’s the Big 12 GOR and bylaws which keeps Texas & Oklahoma in Big 12,not legislators of both respective states. Once GOR has run out the decision makers of both universities, BOR & Presidents, will have the ability to make a choice without running to Legislators for go ahead.

Replying to @MinnySeminole
State Legislators will have influence, and will flex them just as boosters. But both Universities have autonomy to decide its Athletic Contracts..which Conference Affiliation is basically your biggest one of them all.

Reaction Score
This is going to take a bit. Plenty of tweets incoming. This info comes from BTM on Saturday night. (Dinner-Sushi) BTM is a Big Ten Source who has broken multiple local and national stories though us on Twitter and @Minnesota247

In summary, the B1G is interested in Texas and is willing to take Oklahoma with them as a package. That's about as big of a secret as folks in Connecticut liking pizza. Ditto got the B1G going after the XII, especially after this football season. What is not addressed is that if 1) Texas will be willing to give-up the power they have in the XII and 2) Texas Tech and Oklahoma St. will need P4 landing sports as the XII would cease to exist.

Second, the addition of Texas could make the B1G more attractive of a landing spot for Notre Dame. No big surprise there. A league that spans from Texas to DC to NYC for football while providing local competition for its non-revenue sports would be of interest to ND, if the independent route is no longer viable in a P4 structure. Of course, ND's move to a league took a big hit this football season with the Irish being selected into the playoffs.

Overall, if the B1G expands and causes the death of the XII, the B1G will likely jump to 18 to 20 teams. As geography, academics and other revenue sports are important to the B1G, they would take Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas from the XII to go to 17 teams. The remaining 1 to 3 openings would come from 1) Missouri (to fix an obvious whole and a regret that I think the B1G has), 2) Notre Dame, 3) UConn, 4) UVA, 5) UNC.

But, this is at least 5 years off. So, UConn has a lot to fix between now and then to be in a postion to even be considered.

Reaction Score
Kirk Richardson‏ @kirksreview 1h1 hour ago
Texas will have a more difficult path navigating in-state politics than Oklahoma. Not saying a move to B1G can't/won't happen, but there are a lot of interests at stake that ride UT's coattails. Ultimately, they may have to stay and lead a new B12 w/o Oklahoma. It's complicated.

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 1h1 hour ago
Replying to @kirksreview @MinnySeminole
It’s is complicated. Made a little easier with Texas A&M departure of Big 12 against wishes of legislators in Austin who were Pro University of Texas & Texas Tech. But yes, it’s complicated. OU’s current President does not have the “ ties that bind” with OSU. Again, complicated.

Andy‏ @ABfromthe513 1h1 hour ago
Fox is invested in B12 currently. Presumably their B12 deal will be or close to expiring if okla and Texas are flipping to B10? Or would fox work with B12 to identify backfill candidates to fill okla and Texas spots?

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 1h1 hour ago
Replying to @ABfromthe513
Not sure what FOX would do if/when OU & UT depart for Big Ten. But FOX will let (if they haven’t already in some manner) OU & UT know that Big Ten for 2023 and beyond will get FOX Sports Tier 1/2 offer >>>> FOX Sports offer for Big 12 Tier 1/2 content beyond 2025 Big 12 GOR.

Reaction Score

I think before there is another conference realignment wave, the media world needs to sort out its next steps with Comcast/NBC buying Sky, Disney/ESPN buying non-spots Fox resulting in the local Fox sports channels being put up for auction, and what is Amazon and Netflix doing. This shake-up also ties directly into the brewing war between cable and streaming. Once the dust settles, the amount of money available will become clearer and then the conferences will decide what to do.

Reaction Score
Any change is good for us. I hope Oklahoma goes to the SEC, as I believe this move creates the most chaos across the P5.

Reaction Score
The ACC teams cannot be poached until 2036. UNC, UVA, and even ND cannot leave without it being a very costly adventure.

Reaction Score

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire Dec 6
Replying to @johnehoover @FranchiseOK
There is no question there have been some who were ahead of our BTM, including yourself. In the past BTM (source) would not include Texas as part of B1G targets for 2024/2025 expansion. But things have changed. It’s up to OU & UT of course..but they are now a packaged target.

Greg Flugaur Retweeted Big Ten Network

https://mobile.twitter.com/BigTenNetwork/status/1070751356275879939 … What Big Ten Network here doesn’t explain..and what BTM told us Saturday night and we tweeted out yesterday is.. Yes, Big Ten is looking at One Div/Conf option. However, it needs No Round-Robin Reform passed in P5 Self Governing Body.

If this Reform does not pass another option, of course, is yet again another Realignment of the current B1G 2 Divisions.

The Flug going places! :D

And not to get too far behind...

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV Dec 6
Look people... there's no need to ask me about Flugar's claim that OU and UT are headed to the B1G. He's like a broken record. Go back and read some of the crap he's posted and you tell me if he should be given any credibility.

That is not what we claimed. And it goes to the root of your issues Christopher. You never seem to understand what is being said.

And more hilarity ensues...

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 9h9 hours ago
My source with OU says absolutely zero interest in leaving B12. UT and OU have it made in this conference and want no part of a super sized league.

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 9h9 hours ago
Also early indications are the next B12 tv contract is projecting to keep us as close to SEC and B10 as we currently are. The gap will not grow.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

[MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 9h9 hours ago
Also early indications are the next B12 tv contract is projecting to keep us as close to SEC and B10 as we currently are. The gap will not grow.

Putting aside the gossip, my own included, the one false fact here is the 'rumored' value of any future XII (or any other conference) TV contract. Right now no one has a clue what the next media contracts will be with all of the moving parts and the media's changing landscape. Heck, the next media contract could be a fight between Apple, Amazon, and Netflix instead of Fox, NBS and ABC/ESPN. Who knows.

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 5h5 hours ago
Sports Biz Daily had an article on possible future expansion. It was all conjecture except this quote:

“My sense is that nobody wants to upset the applecart this time around,” one executive said.”

What that means is simple. ESPN and Fox want the Big 12 intact. They will pay to keep the conf at 10 or allow Arizona & Arizona State move over. Increases money for both B12 & P12.

No expansion happens without the blessing of TV partners. Both ESPN & Fox have made it clear that they will not pay for or sanction the SEC or B1G approaching UT or OU.

The Sports Biz Daily story also referenced diminishing returns for expansion. That means if the B1G or SEC would add any B1G school that everyone in the conference would see their share decrease. Profits are so high now that only UT or ND would produce a ROI.

So the next time some yahoo claims a B1G exec told him that the B1G will target OU or UT remember the people who pay for expansion do not want either to leave the Big 12.

The days of cable carriage fees paying for expansion are over.

One caveat to this expansion stuff... I understand SEC would take OU and ESPN wants WVU in the ACC. There’s a slim chance the B12 adds the Arizona schools & WVU leaves for the ACC while Baylor gets dropped. OU doesn’t have much interest in SEC unless Texas does something stupid

Billy‏ @TxBornSooner 5h5 hours ago
Why Would OU stay in the Texas League if they could Leave?

Replying to @TxBornSooner
Money. Playoffs, big dog in conference with much sway. You want less money?

They would have Money anywhere. They are a Big draw. The power is a big deal. But it cant be harder to win the Pac than the Big12

Look at the P12. OU complains about 11 am kickoffs.

11am kickoffs every week when youre in CST trying to recruit West Coast kids is a pain. 11am PST is cool. Its 2 hrs later. 3 for East coast kids.

Try 9 am kickoffs. Think coverage maps & timezones.

samnite‏ @Novasheikh 5h5 hours ago
Has the ACC reconsidered its anti-WVU stance? I thought WVU's academics were a deal breaker last go around

Replying to @Novasheikh
That was before the UNC scandal, adding Louisville & the fact that WVU’s existing rivalries with a host of ACC schools is one way ESPN can justify paying so much for ACCN.

JayBirdLewis‏ @WestBGVirginian 3h3 hours ago
ESPN wasn’t in favor of WVU to ACC the first go round. I’m curious as to your take on what has changed since.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 1h1 hour ago
Yes they were. It was UNC & Duke that blocked WVU. ESPN thought that WVU & Pitt going to the ACC would have killed the Big East. ESPN is the primary reason why WVU is in the Big 12.

Replying to @Novasheikh
Plus since then WVU has achieved top tier research status & Jim Clements became Prez at Clemson.

samnite‏ @Novasheikh 4h4 hours ago
So you think they push for ND and WVU to become the 15th and 16th all-sports members?

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 4h4 hours ago
ND is key. The fact ND made the playoffs hurts WVU, but the money ESPN would make with WVU in the ACC is undeniable.

ND made it but had to go undefeated. I don't think that will be sustainable long term for them with their schedule especially with no CCG bump available. Maybe ND becomes more receptive to joining fulltime by the time expansion comes up again.

ND will refuse because it benefits WVU. Hopefully ACCN struggles early and ESPN gets nervous and makes ACC go to 15.

You mean make the ACC add WVU before convincing ND to become an all-sports 16th member?

Just my wishful thinking.

samnite‏ @Novasheikh 3h3 hours ago
I thought you said ESPN wanted to keep the B12 intact though. Wouldn't pushing WVU to the ACC destabilize the B12 too much?

Nope. The Big 12 is OU & UT. Don’t get me wrong the B12 has been good to WVU & its been mutually beneficial but WVU in the ACC means resumption of old BE rivalries & matchups with regional foes that translates into ratings & butts in seats.

OU Boom!!!‏ @asbell_tony 5h5 hours ago
AZ and ASU will never move to the Big12. Never.

Why do you think that?

OU Boom!!!‏ @asbell_tony 5h5 hours ago
They identify w the PAC. I live in AZ. Not a single ASU or UA fan that I know would accept such a move. They don’t want to travel to the Midwest for away games. PAC has higher academic standards and more athletic sports. Won’t happen. They would revolt.

Replying to @asbell_tony
I suggest you look at Maryland. Both Arz schools are upset with the P12. P12N is a bust & they get treated like red-headed step children.

OU Boom!!!‏ @asbell_tony 4h4 hours ago
I suggest you interact w their fans and boosters.

Ask Maryland’s alums, fans & boosters how they felt leaving the ACC.

OU Boom!!!‏ @asbell_tony 4h4 hours ago
Irrelevant

How is it irrelevant? UM’s base didnt want to leave the ACC either.

Doug‏ @NebGradDubDub 5h5 hours ago
Replying to @theDudeofWV
You don’t know who will pay for expansion. 2023 will be a much different environment than right now with
1f4fa.png
. In fact, expansion could leverage BTN into a rival network for all college sports programming and FOX owns half. Takes half the financial risk instead of all like ESPN

Except ESPN owns UT’s rights until 2035.

Doug‏ @NebGradDubDub 4h4 hours ago
Replying to @theDudeofWV
Look at Oklahoma’s noncon schedules if you want to see the B10 tie. Playing Nebraska 4 times, Michigan twice and OSU twice in the next 10 years

Doug‏ @NebGradDubDub 5h5 hours ago
Replying to @theDudeofWV
OU improves ROI with OK City/Dallas area and annual games with Texas and Nebraska

Replying to @NebGradDubDub
No. Thats not true. There’s not enough cable subscribers in OK to justify adding the Sooners without network approval.

OU like Nebraska is a national brand that always brings in good ratings.

And OU isnt in Texas. Regional coverage maps means the conf with a team in the market gets on TV there unless its a national broadcast.

BTN is always a national broadcast, FYI

Thats not how it works.

The math says the market share has to justify the outlay of money. The math says expansion is no longer economically feasable.

Doug‏ @NebGradDubDub 3h3 hours ago
Oklahoma is economically feasible.............that's the absolute truth. In a divisionless league it's even more true. Especially if you can buy two teams for less money than paying out the rear end for the other 6 that have no value and 2 whose only value is expansion content

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 2h2 hours ago
Think about it. If the networks are against expansion & Oklahoma lacks enough cable subscribers to justify it what is the ROI?

Coliseum PRT Station‏ @PrtStation 4h4 hours ago
Replying to @theDudeofWV
Nobody wants to upset the apple cart but.. There is always one guy that says to himself “I’ll just take this one apple, it’s only one, it won’t matter” Next thing you know it’s a great big ol’ apple riot and flying everywhere. I just hope the cart doesn’t land on our nuts

Replying to @PrtStation
Except contracts are already so expensive they are shared.

Replying to @PrtStation
The networks want the B12 to exist because if it fails it means they will end up paying NFL like rights fees in the future. They will pay more for less inventory forcing them to pay more for less desirable inventory.

The networks want the B12 to exist because if it fails it means they will end up paying NFL like rights fees in the future. They will pay more for less inventory forcing them to pay more for less desirable inventory.

The Real Bob Mayhew‏ @HabibHaddad 4h4 hours ago
Arizona and Arizona State to the Big 12 makes sense. Then the PAC 12 can go back to the PAC 10 and the Big 12 can actually have 12 members. Brilliant!

Replying to @HabibHaddad @theDudeofWV
Having spent plenty of time in Arizona I can assure that the cultural fit is with the P12.

Cultural fit? BC, Pitt & Cuse in the ACC? Nebraska & Maryland in the B1G. I would say that WVU is a better fit in the Big 12 than any of those.

Doug‏ @NebGradDubDub 1h1 hour ago
Nebraska is a cultural fit to the B10. It was not to the southern B12. Nebraska, iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois is corn and soybean country. What's left of the B12 is not.

ACC needs WVU more than WVU needs the ACC.

T‏ @Rifleman4WVU 2h2 hours ago
Yea, not buying that one.

Replying to @Rifleman4WVU @MartinisNCognac @HabibHaddad
The game changed with ESPN giving in to the ACCN. The ACC has a problem. Three schools account for 95% of football ratings. 8 (or 9 private schools) with demographics trending to alumni who dont care about football unlikely to care about ACCN.

Dtzak‏ @dtzak 1h1 hour ago
Replying to @theDudeofWV
Fox wants Texas/OU in B1G, to swing their clout in ESPNs face. ESPN is failing badly right now.

Really? You know this how? Have you bothered to check TV ratings?

When you spend too much on NBA, NFL, MLB, SEC,...then low ball other CFB conferences....karma

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 58m58 minutes ago
My friend ESPN is better positioned to withstand changing viewing habits than Fox. ABC/ESPN has more reach commanding more money than Fox & its fledgling FS1 & FS2. It has the exclusive rights to SECN & the SEC giving it ownership of the vast majority of markets that watch.

Dtzak‏ @dtzak 56m56 minutes ago
Replying to @theDudeofWV
Really? Is that why they are back to showing cornhole tournaments and more poker events? Is that why they are shedding on air talent? Disney would love to unload ESPN.

Replying to @dtzak
There is no way UT can go to the B1G as ESPN owns an option on all of UT’s rights until 2035.

It's happening. The Longhorn network is failing, ESPN would be foolish to not listen to exit plans.

Your data is as flawed as your understanding.

Replying to @dtzak
Plus if the B12 fails the networks will eventually be forced to pay more $ for less content and at the same time be forced to pay more for content that less valuable to fill the gap.

Replying to @dtzak
Networks are publicly traded corporations legally required to return as much profit as possible to investors. They are not charities handing out free money. And ESPN in turn is owned by Disney which has the fiduciary responsibility to return profits to its investors.

ESPN is hemoraging money. Fox wants the knockout.

Replying to @dtzak
Really? ESPN made a profit. Whereas Fox is selling off its regional networks. ESPN had a $2.4 billion profit. The entire Fox entertainment enterprise $894M profit.

Reaction Score
I've seen less spinning in an Olympic Figure Skating routine than in the above series of tweets by the Dude.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 11h11 hours ago
I would like to know how many years AAC Commish Aresco is asking for in the GOR? If I was Houston, Cincinnati, UCF or USF I would not sign anything that takes be further than 2025. For UCONN it gets complicated with Big East possibilities for MBB/WBB.

Some people are not going to like this tweet. Aresco’s attempt to get AAC schools to sign GOR in return for those particular schools to receive bit more $ is more about giving Aresco more leverage to deal with Big 12 as a whole if/when Big 12 gets poached than its about B12 Exp.

People are talking. Gaining Leverage is everything. Aresco trying to establish future stability. Bowlsby and 5-6 other Big 12 schools will be doing the same shortly..requesting future stability from OU/UT. Hang on. Bumpy ride ahead.

Frank the Tank‏ @frankthetank111 10h10 hours ago
Frank the Tank Retweeted Pat Forde

AAC trying to seek a grant of rights agreement is a classic prisoner’s dilemma scenario. Individual schools have an interest in not accepting it even though the league overall would benefit from everyone cooperating.

Frank the Tank‏ @frankthetank111 5h5 hours ago
Frank the Tank Retweeted Joe Ho Ho Hovies

Key part of the AAC grant of rights story: there would be unequal revenue sharing in favor of UCF, USF, Cincinnati, Memphis and Houston since they are the most likely Power 5 expansion targets. (Note that UConn isn't on that list, which is probably why there's Big East talk.)

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 5h5 hours ago
Greg Flugaur Retweeted John Ourand

https://mobile.twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/1072208578252034048 …

FS1 overtakes ESPN2

As BTM told us 9 days ago FOX Sports is extremely happy with Big Ten Content.

You should expect ruthless aggression. #marksilverman

Happens the same year the B10 content comes on board. Not shocking

It took 2 years..but yes.

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 5h5 hours ago
Oooh boy...
DuFGyHjW4AA-2Uz.jpg

I don’t see Danny White signing any GOR with the American Athletic Conference. No UCF, no AAC GOR. Take a little less Conference Media $ than it highest potential earnings (GOR inclusion) in exchange to keep it’s options (keep freedom) open is the prudent move for UCF.

Erich Keithly‏ @ekeithly_1 3h3 hours ago
The problem is how long will UCF be relevent...USF faded, Boise St. is fading... UCF probably wont be able to keep its pace

Replying to @ekeithly_1
UCF, unlike Boise State, is home to a big market. Unlike USF it comes in 1st in its big market (Orlando)

#HtownTakeover‏ @sjcHTX 2h2 hours ago
I disagree. Maximize your earning potential now. Guaranteed $ > hypotheticals. A GOR sets the exit fee + buyout. Top AAC schools can elect to eat that cost in future realignment much like other expansion teams have done in past.

Replying to @sjcHTX
Big misconception that GOR = Exit Fee. It does not. Maryland ate Exit Fee....not ACC GOR for it wasn’t in place at the time. UCF should not sign GOR...too expensive of meal.

Mark Kochenderfer‏ @MarkKochenderfe 30m30 minutes ago
Even if you quadruple the AAC contract you’re still looking at 8 million per school. With unequal sharing say the top teams get 12 million/yr. To put that in perspective pay out for the T1 and T2 content for big 12 was 36 million last year per team. That is a vast difference.

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 5m5 minutes ago
Replying to @MarkKochenderfe @frankthetank111
I suppose the devil is in the details but I can’t imagine any top valued AAC schools would sign AAC GOR. It would be interesting to see the difference, the gap Aresco is presenting between AAC GOR included Media deal for top AAC schools vs deal that does not include GOR.

@theDudeofWV hmm......why would AAC need a grant of rights?

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 3h3 hours ago
Replying to @NebGradDubDub @joeovies
To try get more money out of ESPN. They say it openly. Its an attempt to be more attractive.

Replying to @MarkKochenderfe @JuliusJ85224635
Look, its simple. ESPN & Fox are competitors. They are not going to break up the Big 12 because doing so would not only cause them to pay more but one or the other would have a huge advantage.

Mark Kochenderfer‏ @MarkKochenderfe 3h3 hours ago
Replying to @theDudeofWV @JuliusJ85224635
Detente. What do you think of the AAC Trying to sign GO R. I think it reaffirms the fact that there may be no movement in the near future.

ESPN & Fox made it clear to the B12 that if they expand with G5 schools they could forget about a new TV deal. An AAC GoR is a show pony only. AAC says openly its to make us more attractive to try & get a better deal.

Mark Kochenderfer‏ @MarkKochenderfe 3h3 hours ago
Before the old Big East blew up wasn’t there talk about a gor ?

Yes.

I wish there was a forum to discuss the many issues at play. Like the Alston class action lawsuit that could have half the ACC drop out of P5 football.

99% of the people I respond to about expansion come from the standpoint of a fan with an extremely limited understanding of the issues at play. They have no idea of the history or what motivates expansion. The old model that caused B1G & SEC expansion is dead.

Duke, Wake, Pitt, BC and GT will drop P5 football if the NCAA loses the Alston law suit.

Seanbo Sengo‏ @SeanboSengo 3h3 hours ago
Why pay for 2 when you can pay for all 10

Replying to @SeanboSengo
Think diminishing returns... pay more for less.

AAC should see revenue jump from $2M per school per year to as much as $8M. WVU’s most profitable year in the BE was $9.5M. But AAC will not have equal revenue sharing.

Reaction Score
I always find it interesting that folks never seem to consider that the players might behave strategically.
Eg, Oklahoma may have no intention of leaving the B12, but if they put out that they are actively talking with the B10, the little 8 immediately fall in line.

I'm not saying that's happening, but strategic behavior never seems to enter the analysis.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Big 12 without Texas and Oklahoma is virtually worthless to TV. I don't like the American, but I certainly wouldn't want to join the Flyover Conference, or whatever that league would be called. My gut is that UT and OU like being in the Big 12, and have no plans to leave, but I have to say that I would enjoy the karma of WVU trying to beg their way back into the American if UT and OU do leave.

Also, does anyone remember the team that UConn and the other Big East football schools threw out a lifeline to Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State and Baylor when it looked like those schools were getting left behind if Texas, Tech, OU and Okie Lite went to the Pac 12? I do. Still waiting for the payback for that solid.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 without Texas and Oklahoma is virtually worthless to TV. I don't like the American, but I certainly wouldn't want to join the Flyover Conference, or whatever that league would be called.

Are you crazy?

K St, Kan, Ok St still have more cachet than any team in the American. The little 8 wouldn't be much, but it would still be bigger than the AAC.

Reaction Score
Are you crazy?

K St, Kan, Ok St still have more cachet than any team in the American. The little 8 wouldn't be much, but it would still be bigger than the AAC.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I agree with Nelson. If you remove Texas and Oklahoma from the football side of The Big 12, I don't see the schools left behind moving the needle anymore than the top programs of The AAC.

The appeal of a program like Ok State or Texas Tech is in watching them match up against UT or OU. Outside of a very concentrated area of the country the average college football fan would be no more inclined to watch OSU match up with Baylor, than they would be to watch UCF versus USF, or Boise State versus Utah State. You could say the same thing about most conferences, but the fate of The Big 12 is more tied to these two programs than any other.

If UT and OU did bolt for The B1G it might be to the benefit of the left behind programs to seek their best deals including to and up to forming new smaller regional conferences. Hypothetically 9 teams playing an 8 game round robin. These conferences could coordinate to have their champions face off in a playoff for a NY6 auto bid.

Hypothetical Realignment-

East Conference: Army, Navy, WVU, CT, Temple, Cincy, Memphis, UCF, USF

West Conference: KU, KSU, ISU, OSU, TT, Baylor, TCU, UH, SMU.

I included independents like Army because they bring TV Value, The AAC because their mulling of a GOR could cause programs to look elsewhere in a few years, and The Big 12 which would essentially be a loosely affiliated group of teams without UT and OU. I left out schools like Tulsa, Tulane, and ECU because their total athletic departments are more in line with programs in Conference USA and The Sunbelt.

Play 8 games within your conference and schedule the other 4 from P5's, Regional G5's, FCS, etc.

A UConn schedule like this makes more sense to me. 8 Home 4 Away some years, 7 Home 5 Away others. Short of getting into The B1G or ACC something like this would probably stir up more interest than what is currently happening.

H-FCS Regional
A-Cincy
H-FBS Regional (Rutgers)
H G5 Regional (Umass)
A-USF
A-Army
H-Memphis
H-Navy
H-UCF
A-TCU
A-WVU
H-Temple