Non-Key Tweets | Page 783 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
I doubt they are going to watch the Big 10 and SEC make 2x in TV revenue for the next decade and do nothing about it.

Sure there are no adds that are going to match adding USC, Texas, or OU but sitting around and doing nothing seems unlikely.

We have already seen a significant decline in ACC football that will probably continue and we have also see ACC basketball start to falter and now without its two name brand coaches meaning their biggest brands could decline.
This era has arguably been a high for the ACC in football (2 playoff teams two years ago lol), and a recent high for basketball (5 of the last 7 title games). But the money gap is there.

Reaction Score
Sure there is nothing to match, but not even attempting to close a gap is basically giving up waiting to be poached in X years.

Adding schools not at the revenue producing level of the SEC and Big Ten is not attempting to close a gap. It’s just expanding for the purpose of making you think you’re doing something.

Based on current revenue models, UNC and Georgia Tech aren’t going to be incentivized to turn down a SEC or Big Number one bit because prior to then the conference has added UConn or Cincy. It just won’t matter.

And for the ACC members that will be left behind, UConn will still be there when and if they call. They don’t gain anything by adding us earlier unless adding us now increases their revenue. Which it doesn’t

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Adding schools not at the revenue producing level of the SEC and Big Ten is not attempting to close a gap. It’s just expanding for the purpose of making you think you’re doing something.

Based on current revenue models, UNC and Georgia Tech aren’t going to be incentivized to turn down a SEC or Big Number one bit because prior to then the conference has added UConn or Cincy. It just won’t matter.

And for the ACC members that will be left behind, UConn will still be there when and if they call. They don’t gain anything by adding us earlier unless adding us now increases their revenue. Which it doesn’t
Unless ESPN wanted it to, then it would.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Unless ESPN wanted it to, then it would.

I've stayed solid believing in B1G and SEC becoming the two dominant conferences and absorbing the other conferences under their umbrella. All being funded or aligned with FOX or ESPN.

These two groups need content and even if the remaining teams aren't pure equals, they provide options for one group and remove those options from the other group.

So, if ESPN wants UConn to build its roster, UConn will slot somewhere in the ESPN grouping. Which also means UConn is removed from FOX groupings.

I think it more likely FOX absorbs the Big East under the B1G umbrella. Football can stay independent but will have its schedule dominates by other FOX aligned schools.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've stayed solid believing in B1G and SEC becoming the two dominant conferences and absorbing the other conferences under their umbrella. All being funded or aligned with FOX or ESPN.

These two groups need content and even if the remaining teams aren't pure equals, they provide options for one group and remove those options from the other group.

So, if ESPN wants UConn to build its roster, UConn will slot somewhere in the ESPN grouping. Which also means UConn is removed from FOX groupings.

I think it more likely FOX absorbs the Big East under the B1G umbrella. Football can stay independent but will have its schedule dominates by other FOX aligned schools.
That is an interesting theory, that I actually find somewhat plausible. Could FOX and ESPN wind up in a low-key bidding war for the Big East? Maybe. While that wouldn’t get it P2 money, or even P5 money, it might end up being worth a few million per school more

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That is an interesting theory, that I actually find somewhat plausible. Could FOX and ESPN wind up in a low-key bidding war for the Big East? Maybe. While that wouldn’t get it P2 money, or even P5 money, it might end up being worth a few million per school more

I just think there will be less crossover games between ESPN and FOX properties.
At a certain point quantity becomes a quality when it's a zero sum game of you either get a university for its sports or you don have any access to it for programming.

Reaction Score

Greg Flugaur@flugempire · 2h
By end of the series I believe that many will understand why Notre Dame, if they were ever going to say yes to Big Ten, it would happen in next 80 day window.

We believe the Irish will act when their leverage with Big Ten is most high…just like USC.

Within the next 80 days.

Reaction Score
I just think there will be less crossover games between ESPN and FOX properties.
At a certain point quantity becomes a quality when it's a zero sum game of you either get a university for its sports or you don have any access to it for programming.

It's being reported that ESPN is still in negotiations for a slice of the B1G pie.

If they do get some B1G games, they will do everything they can to make sure any B1G games they own is against another ESPN owned school If it's not a B1G conference game. ESPN is going to want that game played against SEC or ACC schools.

By potentially bringing ESPN to the party, the B1G throws some cold water on the SEC vs B1G race to supremacy. Sure, they will compete against each other in many ways but, having a mutual partner can help ease a lot of tensions as these 2 conferences figure how to move forward. With the way they've positioned themselves, they actually need each other if the goal is a breakaway.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

It's being reported that ESPN is still in negotiations for a slice of the B1G pie.

If they do get some B1G games, they will do everything they can to make sure any B1G games they own is against another ESPN owned school If it's not a B1G conference game. ESPN is going to want that game played against SEC or ACC schools.

By potentially bringing ESPN to the party, the B1G throws some cold water on the SEC vs B1G race to supremacy. Sure, they will compete against each other in many ways but, having a mutual partner can help ease a lot of tensions as these 2 conferences figure how to move forward. With the way they've positioned themselves, they actually need each other if the goal is a breakaway.

I guess I just don’t see this as a competition between Fox and ESPN. It’s more like a partnership. While The Mouse will push the SEC for profit, there needs to be more than 16-24 teams in the P5. With the yearly payouts hinted at over $1 billion each for the Big10 and SEC, there’s no way either will be willing to pony up over $2 billion for the games. This whole idea doesn’t work unless you have 32-48 teams in the mix. With Fox and ESPN splitting the main costs, it becomes more manageable. Fox bringing in ESPN and others also lessens the financial burden.

Think of it, the only 2 schools they truly would be fighting over is UNC and ND. The rest can easily be divided into how ever many they want. Put 40-48 schools in the P5 and you have a more interesting grouping than something smaller. My guess is they aren’t going to hold up any deal to break away for UNC (If ND goes anywhere, it will be ACC or Big10).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I guess I just don’t see this as a competition between Fox and ESPN. It’s more like a partnership. While The Mouse will push the SEC for profit, there needs to be more than 16-24 teams in the P5. With the yearly payouts hinted at over $1 billion each for the Big10 and SEC, there’s no way either will be willing to pony up over $2 billion for the games. This whole idea doesn’t work unless you have 32-48 teams in the mix. With Fox and ESPN splitting the main costs, it becomes more manageable. Fox bringing in ESPN and others also lessens the financial burden.

Think of it, the only 2 schools they truly would be fighting over is UNC and ND. The rest can easily be divided into how ever many they want. Put 40-48 schools in the P5 and you have a more interesting grouping than something smaller. My guess is they aren’t going to hold up any deal to break away for UNC (If ND goes anywhere, it will be ACC or Big10).

Let's call it a strategic partnership where each side wants 51%.

Yes, they kinda need to play nice while dividing the spoils of the kill but they both want the prime cuts and not the scraps.

Reaction Score
college football fan@Genetics56 · 47m
Sharing some other data points from what I was provided..the top 15, in the eyes of the Big Ten, for the most financially stable universities across the country are: MI, OSU, TX, Stanford, UCLA, A&M, FL, PSU, WA, MSU, WI, Duke, MN, USC, Cal

college football fan@Genetics56 · 45m
In the eyes of the Big Ten, the schools they view as financially risky: Missouri, AL, Clemson, Miss, WVU, Kansas State, Baylor, Oregon, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, ARkansas, Miss. State, Oklahoma State, TCU

college football fan@Genetics56 · 40m
In the eyes of the Big Ten, how they view financial sustainability for each Pac school's athletic department (in order from best to worst): Stanford, UCLA, Washington, USC, Cal, Arizona State, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, OSU, WA ST, Oregon. Big Ten measures this against endownments

college football fan@Genetics56 · 29m
Fans can get upset about the data if they want to, but that isn't going to change what the data shows. I have the data. Oregon's AD finances when measured against endowments has them last in the eyes of the Big Ten. If you can't handle the data, then you are free to block

college football fan@Genetics56 · 19m
Yep. FWIW...for Kansas, they are ranked #1 in the Big 12 for financial sustainability in the eyes of the Big Ten. I don't know the rest of the Big 12 rankings though since I don't have that data...only Kansas data for Big 12.

Chilly@ChillyinAz_ · 15m
Replying to @Genetics56
What is the correlation tho, you can’t use endowments for athletics?

college football fan@Genetics56 · 5m
They are looking for health....AD revenue vs expense vs funds that come from the schools vs donations and then against endowments. Stanford scores a 100%.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Let's call it a strategic partnership where each side wants 51%.

Yes, they kinda need to play nice while dividing the spoils of the kill but they both want the prime cuts and not the scraps.

Again, IMO, there only a few schools that are acceptable to both SEC and Big10. ND, UNC and maybe UVA (I don’t see the SEC really wanting UVA unless it’s a requirement for UNC). Otherwise, the schools split up pretty evenly.

Reaction Score
college football fan@Genetics56 · 32m
The Big Ten TV deal is expected to be anywhere from $1.25B to $1.4B per year. The difference is due to streaming...if it is included or not. If Notre Dame joins the Big Ten and Stanford isn't a partner, then they will not add anyone else until the ACC schools become available.

college football fan@Genetics56 · 33m
The expectation is and nothing is signed, is still 3 networks.

Chris Buchignani@buchignani · 26m
By which you mean Fox, CBS, and NBC, or Disney back in the mix at the expense of one of the latter two?

college football fan@Genetics56 · 22m
ESPN is still in it...so 2 of ESPN, CBS, NBC.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Again, IMO, there only a few schools that are acceptable to both SEC and Big10. ND, UNC and maybe UVA (I don’t see the SEC really wanting UVA unless it’s a requirement for UNC). Otherwise, the schools split up pretty evenly.

B1G and SEC will be umbrella organizations for a larger pool of schools. These other schools won't be in the B1G or SeC and won't get money but will form alliances to.fill out the football, basketball and other sports' schedule.

Reaction Score
If ESPN renegotiates the contract, the damn well better add us.
It really galls me to read the Louisville AD say this when no one gave a damn about what happened to UConn:

“I think that they understand that the ACC has to be extremely healthy for college athletics to be successful,” Heird said of ESPN. “And so I think they do feel an obligation to make sure that transpires. Not every decision — it’s hard to believe — is based on the bottom line. At some point, we’re going to need more than the SEC and the Big Ten, 32 teams, to make college athletics viable.”

Reaction Score
Even if ESPN revises the contract, the ACC will still be so far in the review mirror of the B1G and SEC that all the teams in the ACC with a possible out will still want out ASAP.

Reaction Score
It really galls me to read the Louisville AD say this when no one gave a damn about what happened to UConn:

“I think that they understand that the ACC has to be extremely healthy for college athletics to be successful,” Heird said of ESPN. “And so I think they do feel an obligation to make sure that transpires. Not every decision — it’s hard to believe — is based on the bottom line. At some point, we’re going to need more than the SEC and the Big Ten, 32 teams, to make college athletics viable.”
If I was Louisville’s AD I’d be saying the same thing. They are staring down being in Metro Conference 2.0 should UNC grow a pair and look to get out.

Reaction Score
Even if ESPN revises the contract, the ACC will still be so far in the review mirror of the B1G and SEC that all the teams in the ACC with a possible out will still want out ASAP.
Exactly. ESPN is a business, and their parent company is hemorrhaging money right now. I can’t see them saying we better get The ACC on par financially with The SEC.

There is no ROI to be made paying the likes of Pitt, BC, Syracuse, and WF 75+ million a year just to keep UNC away from Fox. It probably makes more sense to funnel a couple of valuable properties into The SEC, let FOX grab a few, and then pay the leftovers AAC money.

Reaction Score
Exactly. ESPN is a business, and their parent company is hemorrhaging money right now. I can’t see them saying we better get The ACC on par financially with The SEC.

There is no ROI to be made paying the likes of Pitt, BC, Syracuse, and WF 75+ million a year just to keep UNC away from Fox. It probably makes more sense to funnel a couple of valuable properties into The SEC, let FOX grab a few, and then pay the leftovers AAC money.
I'd be happy to see UConn in a league with the ACC leftovers. Pull in the Big East Teams for Basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom