Non-Key Tweets | Page 784 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
I think they did something like that once before..
You’re really going to suggest a situation where UConn found itself with Tulane, Tulsa, and East Carolina is basically the same to ending up with Duke Cuse Pitt and a Virginia team?

Reaction Score
college football fan@Genetics56 · 3h
Oregon media value is estimated to be around $40M. Notre dame is estimated to be around $200M. Stanford is estimated to be around $65M.

In a little bit I'll be posting some detailed information about Stanford and why they are the best institutional fit to go with Notre Dame.

college football fan@Genetics56 · 2h
Stanford has the largest endownment ($41.9B). They are the only Pac 12 member that is in the Ivy Plus network. In fiscal year 2021, the endowment disbursed $1.33 billion. I share that because it matters to the Big Ten....cont

The Big Ten wants to make sure a university is financially sustainable and have the donor level to sustain top level academic research and education. In 2020, the Big Ten did $11.5B in research expenditure. Stanford would bring an additional $1.2B.cont.

Stanford would do the 3rd most research based on the data. When you do over a billion dollars in research a year, the Big Ten's academic alliance can save a univeristy millions of dollars a year through the Purchasing Consortium....cont

Because of the ability to The BTAA supporting students to share courses across universities, all Big Ten universities would be able to better compete for students that attend Ivy schools....cont

when you combine research expenditure of Stanford, the Big Ten would go over the $12B mark annually, doubling the research expenditiure of the Ivy League.cont.

When you combine USC, UCLA, & Stanford, you are adding $3.5B in annual research expenditure to the Big Ten, putting the annual total over $14B in anuall research expenditure...cont

USC, UCLA, Stanford and Notre Dame would bring roughly $4B of new money into the Big Ten. I know that isn't shared among all universities, but as a whole, that is a massive increase, improving student body experiences and collaboration even more...cont

that is one of many reseasons the Big Ten goes into a lot of detail when vetting a new member and why, after Notre Dame + Stanford, it's going to get extremely difficult to add anyone else after that....cont

The general public will see this as sports money, but the Big Ten will view it as a $4B acquistion.

How can Kevin Warren go to University Presidents of the Big Ten and tell them "Oregon did $90M FYI21 for research expenditure" vs over $1B in Stanford. Kevin is not stupid, he knows the Oregon numbers would be an immediate vote rejection, IMO.

There are many issues with Oregon - low student enrollment, low research expenditure, small tv market/population, bad admission rates, football value doesn't pay for itself as a Big Ten member (not enough added value). Kevin can't take that to vote vs Stanford.

Stanford - massive research expenditure, large population, top tv market, 4% admit rate, elite academic/research, massive endownment and theres a lot more. Stanford vs Oregon = Kevin has no choice, really, it's too obvious.

college football fan@Genetics56 · 1h
$1.25B/16 (being conservative) + BTN + College football playoff + basketball, etc. My best educated guess on what the money would be per school for the new TV contract is about $105M per school and goes up from there every year.

Just a little FYI when talking about schools who could get admitted into the Big Ten. Every Big Ten university is ranked in the top 89 in the 2021 Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) - National Rank and world rank none of them below 300.

People wonder why Arizona State gets mentioned with the Big Ten ...this is why...global ranking is 101-150. Higher than PSU, Indiana, MSU.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Just a little FYI when talking about schools who could get admitted into the Big Ten. Every Big Ten university is ranked in the top 89 in the 2021 Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) - National Rank and world rank none of them below 300.

People wonder why Arizona State gets mentioned with the Big Ten ...this is why...global ranking is 101-150. Higher than PSU, Indiana, MSU.
Just to put it on the record, UConn is in the 201-300 range in the ARWU, along with Nebraska and Kansas.

Reaction Score
Just to put it on the record, UConn is in the 201-300 range in the ARWU, along with Nebraska and Kansas.
The Shanghai, QS, Times Higher Ed. or USN&WR rankings all have limitations and flaws. The idea that Big 10 presidents individually look at one of those seems very unlikely. In my opinion, college football fan@Genetics56 is talking out his butt.

We do know they care about AAU, except for Notre Dame. We also know they care about research expenditures.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Oregon media value is estimated to be around $40M. Notre dame is estimated to be around $200M. Stanford is estimated to be around $65M.

In a little bit I'll be posting some detailed information about Stanford and why they are the best institutional fit to go with Notre Dame.

Stanford has the largest endownment ($41.9B). They are the only Pac 12 member that is in the Ivy Plus network. In fiscal year 2021, the endowment disbursed $1.33 billion. I share that because it matters to the Big Ten....cont

The Big Ten wants to make sure a university is financially sustainable and have the donor level to sustain top level academic research and education. In 2020, the Big Ten did $11.5B in research expenditure. Stanford would bring an additional $1.2B.cont.

Stanford would do the 3rd most research based on the data. When you do over a billion dollars in research a year, the Big Ten's academic alliance can save a univeristy millions of dollars a year through the Purchasing Consortium....cont

Because of the ability to The BTAA supporting students to share courses across universities, all Big Ten universities would be able to better compete for students that attend Ivy schools....cont

when you combine research expenditure of Stanford, the Big Ten would go over the $12B mark annually, doubling the research expenditiure of the Ivy League.cont.

When you combine USC, UCLA, & Stanford, you are adding $3.5B in annual research expenditure to the Big Ten, putting the annual total over $14B in anuall research expenditure...cont

USC, UCLA, Stanford and Notre Dame would bring roughly $4B of new money into the Big Ten. I know that isn't shared among all universities, but as a whole, that is a massive increase, improving student body experiences and collaboration even more...cont

that is one of many reseasons the Big Ten goes into a lot of detail when vetting a new member and why, after Notre Dame + Stanford, it's going to get extremely difficult to add anyone else after that....cont

The general public will see this as sports money, but the Big Ten will view it as a $4B acquistion.

How can Kevin Warren go to University Presidents of the Big Ten and tell them "Oregon did $90M FYI21 for research expenditure" vs over $1B in Stanford. Kevin is not stupid, he knows the Oregon numbers would be an immediate vote rejection, IMO.

There are many issues with Oregon - low student enrollment, low research expenditure, small tv market/population, bad admission rates, football value doesn't pay for itself as a Big Ten member (not enough added value). Kevin can't take that to vote vs Stanford.

Stanford - massive research expenditure, large population, top tv market, 4% admit rate, elite academic/research, massive endownment and theres a lot more. Stanford vs Oregon = Kevin has no choice, really, it's too obvious.

$1.25B/16 (being conservative) + BTN + College football playoff + basketball, etc. My best educated guess on what the money would be per school for the new TV contract is about $105M per school and goes up from there every year.

I've long advocated Stanford as next choice for B1G after they added USC/UCLA. Stanford really is one those few private schools outside the Ivies who really brings the $$$ and supports olympic sports. Add in Stanford being in a huge market and Stanford being a private school (Outside of the reach of Gov Newsom and regents) and I think it's a slam dunk add. USC+UCLA+Stanford > All other California universities combined for athletics and TV.

Same reason why I think Georgia Tech is way more valuable than Miami if B1G or SEC want to poach the ACC. Especially for the B1G if they want to get in to the southern markets. I'm actually surprised GT's endowment is only around $2.5B. Thought they'd be at least $5B.

Reaction Score
"All top 89 and none below 300." I guess I'm reading that wrong. I noticed UCONN is in the same bracket as Georgetown.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
You’re really going to suggest a situation where UConn found itself with Tulane, Tulsa, and East Carolina is basically the same to ending up with Duke Cuse Pitt and a Virginia team?
No. I'm suggesting that your plan of the leftover ACC teams plus the Big East teams for basketball looks a lot like the old Big East. That didn't work out long term.

Reaction Score
No. I'm suggesting that your plan of the leftover ACC teams plus the Big East teams for basketball looks a lot like the old Big East. That didn't work out long term.
It was I that suggested that. I'd love to see UConn in a league with Pitt, Syracuse, BC, Wake and the other leftovers from the ACC. That would be much better than the AAC.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
It was I that suggested that. I'd love to see UConn in a league with Pitt, Syracuse, BC, Wake and the other leftovers from the ACC. That would be much better than the AAC.
I agree. We already left the AAC though. I still don't think the current Big East teams would want to join a hybrid football/basketball conference.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I agree. We already left the AAC though. I still don't think the current Big East teams would want to join a hybrid football/basketball conference.

I think they would. Bigger is probably better for streaming/television contracts, at least to a point.

Reaction Score
college football fan@Genetics56 · 53m
Rick Reilly in the Washington Post reported today that the Big Ten will pay Notre Dame $65 million more than the present NBC contract. That's roughly $80 million per year.

college football fan@Genetics56 · 11m
Pete Thamal is reporitng that talks between the Pac 12 and Big 12 are dead. Fricken idiots.

Reaction Score
MH ver3@MH ver3 · 33m
I have not heard that talks were completely dead but if B12 pulled the plug on them then that’s bad news for wazzu and the beav. That means B12 is going to carve up the PAC and take the best.

MH ver3@MH ver3 · 21m
Called my source. (I’m on a mini vacation right now so I haven’t been doing a lot of talking with him the past few days). Talks are indeed dead for a merger.A few tidbits I did get:

MH ver3@MH ver3 · 22m
Replying to @MH ver3
B12 held all the cards.

MH ver3@MH ver3 · 22m
Media $$ just wasn’t there to justify a full merger.

MH ver3@MH ver3 · 22m
My source fully expects at least 2 schools to get an offer from B12 by the end of the first week of August. AZ and Colorado are the ones most likely.

MH ver3@MH ver3 · 22m
B12 could invite 4-6 in total depending on what happens and how it happens. But my source is pretty confident we at least invite those 2.

MH ver3@MH ver3 · 22m
Those 2 with their tv markets will increase the payout per school. Adding Utah and AZSU are revenue negative/neutral but…

MH ver3@MH ver3 · 23m
Adding those two with Washington/Oregon make the entire 6 revenue positive for all so literally the ball will be in their court.

MH ver3@MH ver3 · 23m
If WA/OR balk then we may take the other 2 anyway, take the slight hit in revenue, and then WA/OR are stuck until ACC/B1G get around to maybe offering them.

SawyerBrown94@RChalk94 · 5m
Replying to @MH ver3
So what’s the plan for Washington State, Oregon State, Cal and Stanford??? If I was their leadership things look pretty bleak now

MH ver3@MH ver3 · 4m
I’ve heard Stanford may forge independent. Cal may drop football, some D1 sports/all D1 sports (no one really knows). And MWC may get picked clean.

MH ver3@MH ver3 · 14m
The way things have been moving, Colorado might announce earlier than AZ and may even do it before the PAC/espn negotiating window closes…allegedly all it will take is a formal offer from B12.

MH ver3@MH ver3 · 7m
But don’t look for any official invitations to come until Yormark officially takes office. Bowlsby has pretty much said as much.

MH ver3@MH ver3 · 4m
MWC won’t be a winner with no B12/PAC merger. PAC will gut MWC because they would still have autonomy and have the brand name. Maybe they will work out a merger ‍♂️

MH ver3@MH ver3 · 3m
Don’t be shocked if OR/WA stay put and just backfill the PAC-to-B12 defections with MWC and does some type of unequal revenue sharing while they hope for an invite from B1G.

Allan@Allan_Janus ·3m
Replying to @MH ver3
Does AZ try and drag it’s feet so that ASU can come as well, or is that line of thinking gone now as other states haven’t show that type of loyalty?

MH ver3@MH ver3 · 1m
Not sure. AZ was valued out as the more lucrative option despite AZSU superior football team and ratings. I’m not really sure why honestly. I want them both to come.

Reaction Score
MH ver3@MH ver3 · 34m
I have heard that if WA and OR stay that that could possibly keep Stanford and Cal in the fold-I’ve also heard Stanford is very close to going Indy.

MH ver3@MH ver3 · 35m
Replying to @MH ver3
So with those for and the state schools (assuming Utah and AZSU get B12 invites) you have a core of 6. Would need to probably add 6.

MH ver3@MH ver3 · 35m
Most valuable 6 left of G5 (in PAC footprint-I’m omitting the eastern ones) according to valuations B12 had done

MH ver3@MH ver3 · 35m
SDSU, SMU, Boise (football only), Fresno, UNLV, New Mexico. Maybe add Gonzaga in basketball for the slight revenue bump that would give since they draw a National audience.

MH ver3@MH ver3 · 36m
B12 just last year considered adding Boise/Gonzaga as partial members in that same set up.

MH ver3@MH ver3 · 32m
Don’t underestimate a possible Pac12 invite for Airforce either. Would help them reclaim partially, a soon to be lost market, and actually aligns very well culturally with PAC.

Stephen Dodd@spdodd74 · 22m
Replying to @MH ver3
Any word on the meeting between Yormark and Phil Knight?

MH ver3@MH ver3 · 18m
Yes. I’m about to tweet it.

MH ver3@MH ver3 · 28m
Rumor: I havent confirmed it but I just heard AZ and Utah are meeting with their executive board on Wednesday and that’s the same day Colorado is having yet another closed executive session to discuss conference affiliation.

Exorcist of Stupidity@JamieExorcistof · 17m
Replying to @MH ver3
one of the best inside Arizona sources was on 365 sports today and confirmed that right now Arizona is on track to be a member of the Big 12 by 2026. He also said Colorado has the jump on everyone as they've already had 3 executive meetings for conference Athletics. The odd thi..

MH ver3@MH ver3 · 15m
Because AZST is not in a drivers seat to do anything. Sadly they may not get a B12 offer. I hope they do though!

Exorcist of Stupidity@JamieExorcistof · 11m
This is a great point! Jason Scheer said the two schools tend to do stuff together, but two different cultures. Arizona Tuscon is college town. ASU has all professional sports of Phoenix. He said Arizona would leave ASU behind. You're right. They might be last to join or left out

MH ver3@MH ver3 · 22m
Just heard that Yormark meeting with Knight was basically Knight pleading to Yormark to keep the merger talks going and make it happen. Knight felt it was the best outcome for Oregon and the PAC with no B1G offer coming.

college football fan@Genetics56 · 53m
RIP Pac 12.

college football fan@Genetics56 · 40m
It's anyone's guess these days of what will happen outside of the Big Ten and SEC. With the news tonight we will not be getting a large third conference to house the left overs. IMO, some schools will end up at places like the Moutain West and AAC.

Reaction Score

One thing he mentioned is that NBC doesn't want Notre Dame football to be an orphan, hence the drive to have a game around a Notre Dame football game.

college football fan@Genetics56 · 55m
Also, unequal revenue sharing is likely to come to the ACC....it's one of the other things he mentioned. I know there is a tweet out there he said that about the Pac, but it's the ACC he was talking about. It's why I dig for facts.

college football fan@Genetics56 · 24m
Quick recap on today's "intel": Big Ten doesn't want Oregon and Washington. ACC may add members. Unequal revenue sharing in ACC may happen (obviously means renegotiated TV deal). Sankey "no conf. will stay at 17". NBC part of TV deal may mean ND to Big Ten (Thamel).

college football fan@Genetics56 · 16m
If Oregon and Washington end up in the ACC, their football recruiting will go to trash. They would be isolated out of the most populated regions out west for recruiting purposes. It would be castration.

Jason Scheer@jasonscheer · 5h
Pete Thamel saying that if Oregon and Washington stay in the Pac-12, there will be unequal revenue sharing. If that's the case, any school president that agrees to that should rethink their position in athletics.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Side comment, I've always felt guys like Stew Mandel represent the classic old school media that programs use to circulate disinformation. You dont send dis info through the young/new/unknown reporter, you find the old school guy that will be more than happy to send out a little misdirection. Just saying.

Reaction Score
Jim Phillips, ACC commissioner speaks this morning at ACC meeting...OOPS !

From transcript...

"So I know where our 17 — or our 15 schools are. We are really aligned to try to find some solutions to that revenue gap, but it can’t be at the expense of all the other things that we’re doing. So there’s I think a really good plan for us as we move ahead. Again, considering all of are our options. In these kinds of times you have to do that. This is unique what’s happened over the last 12 months."

Q. 17 schools?

JIM PHILLIPS: That was an error. 15 schools. Sorry about that. Thinking about your expansion number. (Laughter).

Reaction Score
Jim Phillips, ACC commissioner speaks this morning at ACC meeting...OOPS !

From transcript...

"So I know where our 17 — or our 15 schools are. We are really aligned to try to find some solutions to that revenue gap, but it can’t be at the expense of all the other things that we’re doing. So there’s I think a really good plan for us as we move ahead. Again, considering all of are our options. In these kinds of times you have to do that. This is unique what’s happened over the last 12 months."

Q. 17 schools?

JIM PHILLIPS: That was an error. 15 schools. Sorry about that. Thinking about your expansion number. (Laughter).
Their "really good plan" is to ask ESPN to pay them both more money than they're getting and more money than they're worth. It's equivalent to my "really good plan" for sleeping with Brooklyn Decker.

Reaction Score
Jim Phillips is failing, IMO, today to answer some tough questions. It's NOT the job of the Big Ten and SEC to make sure all conferences are healthy. It's not like that in the business world either. It's called competetion.

I understand Jim Philips has to say certain things for various reasons, but that was a very poor speech today. The ACC should, though, be allowed to try and make things work, but if the members decide to "close the conference" then it is what it is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom