Non-Key Tweets | Page 431 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Don't know if this was addressed in another thread, so I'm adding it here. Being as WVU is one of the proponents of B-XII expansion, AND wants schools closer to Morgantown, I visited the Mountaineer Scout Board & scanned their Big XII Conference board (formerly their CR board). There is a thread simply entitled UCONN.
Incredible stubbornness & lack of enlightenment by some posters. One poster's thoughts as an example: Doesn't want UCONN under any circumstances. They've never been good in football (forget 2 Big East Co-Championships), lack of facilities which they can't afford to build (guess that he's never seen pictures of the Schenk), bring nothing to the table. Other posters tried to tell this clown that, in the future, CR is about population & cable boxes to build a conference network (citing Rutgers to the B-XII as an example) & that UCONN brings the entire area from NYC to Boston-high population density for subscribership. He wasn't having any of it & reduced the thread to name calling. WOW.

That's par for the course, over there. I will repeat this over and over, this is the most sane CR board out there, with the VT board second. Every other CR board becomes my conference is better than yours quickly. The NDJoe's, the Okie Lites and those like them become so unbearable when intelligent conversation is taking place.

If/When you get into the Big12, don't take this board down. It would be an attack on intelligent CR discourse (oxymoron, I know) everywhere!

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Well, we should be pretty good realignment talkers. We are pros at it by now, what with our school having gone through it and having been in the middle of it since 2011.

Reaction Score
Is anyone talking about ND? If there's legitimately another round of realignment coming and 4x16 is coming, this is a big piece of the puzzle to ignore. I would imagine 4x16 would force ND's hand since it almost guarantees they are excluded from the playoff barring an undefeated season. And if 4x16 is happening now, I'd imagine knowing where ND is going should be consideration #1 before considering where the other chips will fall. Any rumors out there?

Reaction Score
@McMurphyESPN: ACC coaches want Notre Dame to join a league. If ND joins a league before 2027, its contractually bound to join ACC

Of course, we don't know the details, such as the damages that ND would pay if going elsewhere.

Reaction Score
@McMurphyESPN: ACC coaches want Notre Dame to join a league. If ND joins a league before 2027, its contractually bound to join ACC

Of course, we don't know the details, such as the damages that ND would pay if going elsewhere.
When did he tweet this? Doesn't appear recent.

Reaction Score

I've never bought ND to the ACC, the move just seemed like a sweetheart stop-gap with the Big East dying. And the "contractual obligation" to the ACC doesn't mean much. Like everything else, there would be a lawsuit and some sort of compensation paid to get out of the obligation. I've always assumed that if truly forced to join a conference, Notre Dame would go to the BIG. The only way I could really see them coming to the ACC is if they came with a big time partner, like Penn State. But that's not very likely at all.

Reaction Score
I'm just going to vomit my opinion on you guys, since this is one of the few realignment threads out there and the BC boards hate these kinds of things:

1) I think 16 is the magic number. Can't see 18 or 20 team conferences. Sure, you get more markets, but there's no way to make anything higher than 16 work. With 20 teams and a 9 game schedule, you never play a team from the other division unless you make the championship game. Never. Even with 18 teams and a 9 game schedule, you only play the teams from the other division once a decade. Teams are already upset about the infrequency of match-ups in the 14-team ACC, BIG and SEC.

2) Notre Dame will join a conference if 4x16 is happening, and the BIG, Big 12 and ACC won't go to 16 without fully exhausting all opportunities to land the biggest chip remaining (ND).

3) ND's preference is probably BIG > ACC > Big 12.

4) If ND goes to the BIG as #15, then things get really interesting for #16. I just can't see any of the other commonly cited BIG target teams leaving alone with ND without a rival partner. UNC, Duke or GT are not going alone to the BIG without a more historical partner. Maybe VT would go alone. That might be the most likely partner.

5) However, if ND requested BC as a BIG partner (assuming the pope intercedes), BC would be approved in a heartbeat by the BIG. After all, BC brings Boston the same way Rutgers brings NYC (in that they both could potentially bring in viewers and command top rate carriage fees with improvement). BC with historically respectable basketball and football (though we've picked a terrible time to struggle), and the best hockey team in the country, which would certainly win some votes with schools like Wisconsin and Minnesota. Also, if you're ignoring AAU to add Notre Dame, BC's academics certainly pass muster.

6) Rule #1 of Conference Reallignment. (am I doing this right?) :)

Reaction Score
I've always assumed that if truly forced to join a conference, Notre Dame would go to the BIG. The only way I could really see them coming to the ACC is if they came with a big time partner, like Penn State. But that's not very likely at all.

You haven't been following @TerryD , have you :rolleyes:

ND to B1G is probably a nuked bridge.

Reaction Score
Well sure if ND agreed to join the Big 10 without absurd conditions and requested BC come along they'd be invited. If ND agreed to join and requested UMass come along they'd be invited too.

:)

I guess the serious point I'd make is that it seems really, really unlikely that the BIG would take Duke and UNC as #15 and #16. Because then 4x16 is happening, the ACC would be collapsing and Notre Dame would join a conference, but the BIG would have already hit the ceiling at 16. This would effectively drive Notre Dame to the Big 12. Which Notre Dame probably isn't interested in. Which means if the BIG ever were really close to adding two more ACC teams, Notre Dame would intervene and take #15 for themselves.

Reaction Score
You haven't been following @TerryD , have you :rolleyes:

ND to B1G is probably a nuked bridge.

I just don't buy it. If 4x16 with 9 conference game schedules happen, Notre Dame would warm back up to the BIG in a hurry. As attractive as games against FSU, Clemson, GT, and Miami might be, it doesn't compare to historical rivals like Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, as well as other marquees like Ohio State and Penn State. Even the scrubs of the BIG (Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, etc) are at least more geographically appealing than playing ACC scrubs (NCST, Wake, Duke, etc).

The only thing worse about the BIG is the argument that Notre Dame couldn't dominate, and would lose it's mystique when it becomes just another Midwestern team, a la Penn State.

Reaction Score
5) However, if ND requested BC as a BIG partner (assuming the pope intercedes), BC would be approved in a heartbeat by the BIG. After all, BC brings Boston the same way Rutgers brings NYC (in that they both could potentially bring in viewers and command top rate carriage fees with improvement). BC with historically respectable basketball and football (though we've picked a terrible time to struggle), and the best hockey team in the country, which would certainly win some votes with schools like Wisconsin and Minnesota. Also, if you're ignoring AAU to add Notre Dame, BC's academics certainly pass muster.
:)

Here is my opinion.

UConn and Cincy go to B12 and help kick off the B12 network. ACC does not start a network so FSU and Clemson join the B12. In the ensuing panic Virginia and ND join the B10 and this really gets the ball rolling. Next the SEC takes UNC and Duke. The B12 then grabs Georgia Tech and VT. The leftovers from the ACC merge with the AAC to become the AAAC.

Reaction Score
The only thing worse about the BIG is the argument that Notre Dame couldn't dominate, and would lose it's mystique when it becomes just another Midwestern team, a la Penn State.

We have a winner. :)

(I am legally obligated to remind you at this point that these are not "non-key tweets")

Reaction Score
Here is my opinion.

UConn and Cincy go to B12 and help kick off the B12 network. ACC does not start a network so FSU and Clemson join the B12. In the ensuing panic Virginia and ND join the B10 and this really gets the ball rolling. Next the SEC takes UNC and Duke. The B12 then grabs Georgia Tech and VT. The leftovers from the ACC merge with the AAC to become the AAAC.

Plausible, but I can't buy UVa or even the more I think about it, VT as #16 for the BIG. What do they bring? Maryland was already supposed to bring DC. Suburban Virginia adds nothing. I hate to say it, but it's the same problem that UConn has when aspiring to a BIG invite. Sure, you have viewers in NYC, but it's redundant. The BIG already has a foot in NYC with Rutgers.

Isn't this more about network penetration and carriage fees rather than ratings and advertising revenue. Get the BTN on in as many major media markets as possible. The teams that will drive the ratings will always be Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State and potentially Notre Dame, not the local team.

Adding BC as #16 gives the BIG every major city in the northeast.

pj

Reaction Score
Tusky, you may be overrating Notre Dame's value. Sure they may be the top property on the board, but valuable enough to carry BC along with them? Doubt it - not compared to two flagships (UVa and UConn, UVa and UNC) or, if research/AAU matters, Duke or Georgia Tech.

You may also be overrating BC's pull with the Pope. Sure, the Pope might prefer to see BC in the B1G over ACC, but would he really pressure Notre Dame to make it happen? And if he did, would Notre Dame play along? He might find it easier to get BC soccer into an Argentinian league.

Reaction Score
Plausible, but I can't buy UVa or even the more I think about it, VT as #16 for the BIG. What do they bring?

UVa brings the Richmond and Hampton Roads metro areas, which combined are 3 million people. And the rest of the state has another 2 million (outside of DC).

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I can't even begin to fathom the outrage of B1G fans, if they ever added BC to the conference, that they will have abandoned their competitive, midwestern roots to add the two biggest duds east of the Mississippi.

Reaction Score
When has ND ever worked in anyone interest other than their owns? Why would they suddenly advocate for BC? Catholic values do not pay the bills...Catholic on Sundays but capitalists on Saturday.

The most likely way ND gives up its independence is if there were only 4 conferences and the conference winners automatically went to the playoff. As long as ND can backdoor a way into the playoff they will likely not commit to a conference. That said, why would the P4 ever make a rule excluding everyone else? In actuality there is no chance of anyone outside the P5 and ND going to the playoffs now but the P5 needs all the "little people in the G5" to watch college football. "Hope" brings in money.

ND's very identity is "independent" and I would be surprised if they join a conference until the there are no options left. At that point the "bring a friend" argument seems tougher to dictate. The spots in the lifeboat will be tight. My guess is the BIG may not be so generous on terms if ND resists to the end.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom