Non-Key Tweets | Page 429 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If this all comes to a head (still skeptical b/c of CR rule #1) Its simple really, should it come down to either UConn or BYU. If the B12 wants to be spread across 3 time zones, not get a foot into the NYC market, rearrange the B12 BB tournament to avoid playing Sundsys, and add a historically good football program with a great following and a decent BB program then BYU > UConn. If they want to get into the worlds largest media market, and nearly double the population whose cable boxes would pick up a B12N, while adding a balanced and highly successful athletic department whose football is sub par of late, and historically average with a couple good years sprinkled in then UConn.> BYU. It would really come down to what the conference values most.
I think it will come down to cold hard math and I think we win that case, even against BYU and its national following.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
When does the Big East checks run out? Is that a windfall for USF? Or is that maybe where the money is coming from?
I think MHVer's twitter thread sounds logical. Add two AAC schools now to launch the new tv deal and then wait on the ACC implosion.

Reaction Score
When does the Big East checks run out? Is that a windfall for USF? Or is that maybe where the money is coming from?

The Big East Exit Fee $$$ totaled about $100 million bucks. Per a 2013 agreement, UConn, Cincy and USF received 60% of that pot (so $20 million each) and the remaining American members received the other 40% which split 8 ways came out to about $5 million each.

I don't know whether that total has been completely paid out yet or not, but I would imagine that regardless of any current member leaving the American they would not be forced to forfeit that amount. Also, I do not know what the current American exit fees are, but if UConn and Cincy were to leave that $$$ would be split between the remaining schools. USF would get no special treatment there.

Reaction Score
This is not why we're on the table. It's because the perception of our football program, even after the BCS game (which, right or wrong, ended up hurting our public perception don't forget), is that it's young, not good, and our attendance is poor. Again, whether those things are true isn't relevant. The ACC thought they were, they took UL. It's not because we were trying to keep the Big East together, that's complete fiction.
Then the people representing us did an amazingly poor job. All you had to do was point to our record against Pitt, SU, RU, and Louisville to dispel that myth. And people at UConn were always working on keeping the BE together even as leaders at Pitt were working on an exit strategy. Our story to where we are does not begin with Sue Herbst's arrival.

Mike Tranghese stated that UConn worked to keep the BE together as everything was falling part on the Mike Francessa show. It is not complete fiction. Probably not coincidentally he was hired to help us out of our current predicament.

Reaction Score
MH3 ‏@MH3 · 51m51 minutes ago
Rumor: Clemson has now made contact with both SEC and B12-getting worried about B10...

MH3 ‏@MH3 · 9m9 minutes ago
For those arguing Uconn wouldn't be a good add for a network model because their state is relatively small: BTN gets the full amount in NY

Last I checked Rutgers was in Jersey.

Rvard ‏@WinToKnight · 1m1 minute ago
@MH3 people never understood that a large portion of the NYC market is in NJ

It's not just the state. WVU would bring high sub fees from MD Pittsburgh and DC

It's about markets that you have viewership in. And Uconn brings that in spades.

Reaction Score
This is not why we're on the table. It's because the perception of our football program, even after the BCS game (which, right or wrong, ended up hurting our public perception don't forget), is that it's young, not good, and our attendance is poor. Again, whether those things are true isn't relevant. The ACC thought they were, they took UL. It's not because we were trying to keep the Big East together, that's complete fiction.

You seriously believe that ACC decisionmakers made their decisions based not on hard facts gathered by people paid to gather the facts, but from pulling things off internet bulletin boards that may or may not have been true? Seriously?

The ACC used REASONS to select Louisville over us that may, in hindsight, not have suited their purposes, but they did not use the wrong facts. I guaranty you no one used the fans "concensus" of attendance numbers as opposed to the actual numbers.

Sheesh.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Just a thought re: Twitter. I'm officially following the Big XII account. As a KU law alumn, that may not be a shock. But I think it would be interesting (helpful?) if the Big XII social media people see a load of UConn fans signing up. It's a teaser of what could happen...shows our passion.

Reaction Score
Just a thought re: Twitter. I'm officially following the Big XII account. As a KU law alumn, that may not be a shock. But I think it would be interesting (helpful?) if the Big XII social media people see a load of UConn fans signing up. It's a teaser of what could happen...shows our passion.

Would it help if I wore my UConn gear and went down to Dallas and held up a boombox outside of Bowlsby's office?

Reaction Score
You seriously believe that ACC decisionmakers made their decisions based not on hard facts gathered by people paid to gather the facts, but from pulling things off internet bulletin boards that may or may not have been true? Seriously?

The ACC used REASONS to select Louisville over us that may, in hindsight, not have suited their purposes, but they did not use the wrong facts. I guaranty you no one used the fans "concensus" of attendance numbers as opposed to the actual numbers.

Sheesh.
I did not say they took info from message boards. Those perceptions were rampant among other programs. I'm sure they did use metrics of some kind. My point was, to the post I quoted, we were not left on the table in 2012 because we were trying to keep the Big East together. That notion is laughable. We had just gone through a dry spell of bad football post-Fiesta Bowl, and UL was doing really well, then Jurich outfoxed Warde.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Would it help if I wore my UConn gear and went down to Dallas and held up a boombox outside of Bowlsby's office?

Hell...hire Cusack to do it....or maybe all of our guys currently in the NFL and NBA, plus Jesus Shuttleworth holding the boombox.

Reaction Score
MH3 ‏@MH3 · 51m51 minutes ago
Rumor: Clemson has now made contact with both SEC and B12-getting worried about B10...

For those arguing Uconn wouldn't be a good add for a network model because their state is relatively small: BTN gets the full amount in NY

Last I checked Rutgers was in Jersey.

Rvard ‏@WinToKnight · 1m1 minute ago
@MH3 people never understood that a large portion of the NYC market is in NJ

It's not just the state. WVU would bring high sub fees from MD Pittsburgh and DC

It's about markets that you have viewership in. And Uconn brings that in spades.
I read this and shake my head. Are networks and the concept of viewers a new cutting edge concept outside the northeast?
I swear this has been debated ad nauseum on here for 10 years or so.
Now suddenly people get that ct/Uconn delivers eyeballs and lots of them?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You seriously believe that ACC decision makers made their decisions based not on hard facts gathered by people paid to gather the facts, but from pulling things off internet bulletin boards that may or may not have been true? Seriously?

Sheesh.

Four reasons why the ACC took Louisville instead of UConn - 1) the stick up BC's pompous arse, 2) bourbon, 3) hookers, and 4) Jurich took lots of pictures of #2 and #3 while they were courting the ACC presidents :cool:

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
If this all comes to a head (still skeptical b/c of CR rule #1) Its simple really, should it come down to either UConn or BYU. If the B12 wants to be spread across 3 time zones, not get a foot into the NYC market, rearrange the B12 BB tournament to avoid playing Sundsys, and add a historically good football program with a great following and a decent BB program then BYU > UConn. If they want to get into the worlds largest media market, and nearly double the population whose cable boxes would pick up a B12N, while adding a balanced and highly successful athletic department whose football is sub par of late, and historically average with a couple good years sprinkled in then UConn.> BYU. It would really come down to what the conference values most.
And if they value an inferior athletic program, a worse academic institution, a smaller tv market, but with a slightly better football team then they can pick cincy over uconn. For the big 12 to survive, for a network to generate revenue, it needs the New York market and the eastern time zone. Boren knows this. If Uconn is not part of expansion, there is little reason to expand at all.
What would get a better national rating..... Uconn vs Texas tech or cincy vs Texas tech?

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
How do you expect a non-profit to function if it can't even pay it's bills? Just because something is designated as a non-profit doesn't mean the employees work for free and there aren't basic operational costs associated with running the organization.

The major benefits of a non-profit status are tax-related. Major deductions and benefits. That doesn't preclude them from having costs associated with their operation and running a television network incurs major costs.
exactly, I used to work for a non profit. the budget was well over a million dollars but on the books they had to break even, make money, less funding from the state and that was what it was all about. they used to hide money in all types of accounts to ensure that they never had money left at the end of the fiscal year.

Reaction Score

The focus was on football...the football members needed a football partner...

Looking at it from outside the Northeast:

....UConn has never beaten an ACC team with an above .500 conference record....never. Sure UConn beat some teams while they were in the B.E., who later became ACC teams...but that fact about the ACC vs UConn is true...and thus the weak football perception to some ACC football schools.

...Louisville was coming off a year where they won 12 games and beat an impressive 11 win SEC team (Florida) in the Sugar Bowl.

It wasn't about markets, cable boxes, basketball...it was straight football. And the perception of football strength...

Reaction Score

....UConn has never beaten an ACC team with an above .500 conference record....never. Sure UConn beat some teams while they were in the B.E., who later became ACC teams...but that fact about the ACC vs UConn is true...and thus the weak football perception to some ACC football schools.

...Louisville was coming off a year where they won 12 games and beat an impressive 11 win SEC team (Florida) in the Sugar Bowl.

It wasn't about markets, cable boxes, basketball...it was straight football. And the perception of football strength...
and in the end, that short term thinking will cause the acc's death.

Reaction Score

Tell you what......this has got to be about the most tolerant board on the internet. I think it's great, absent some of the drivel that flows continuously from some posters.

We're about due for Yawkee.....no?

GG

Reaction Score
Probably the least accurate of the lot ( and that is saying something), but here is Tuxedo Yoda's thoughts.

Austin source tells me expansion announcement could come before summer. Cinci & UConn locks. Only discussion now, go to 14? (UCF?Mem?)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom