Non-Key Tweets | Page 427 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Kind of like Auburn-Alabama, Ole Miss-Mississippi State....if folks watch the games...a network wmay take two in a state.

Heck..here at my North Carolina cabin, My Direct TV has the SECN and the BTN...My Tallahassee home has the same.

You're from NC? Are you the car wash guy?

Reaction Score
Really? Everthing a non profit does has to make money???

How do you expect a non-profit to function if it can't even pay it's bills? Just because something is designated as a non-profit doesn't mean the employees work for free and there aren't basic operational costs associated with running the organization.

The major benefits of a non-profit status are tax-related. Major deductions and benefits. That doesn't preclude them from having costs associated with their operation and running a television network incurs major costs.

Reaction Score
Their network has a religious mission, not profit. its a overall money loser.
Everything BYU does is about its religious mission. But it shows BYU football and basketball games and presumably if they joined and a B12 network was started, they'd have to amend or give up those rights. I don't have ratings numbers, but you'd have to assume those games are among their highest-rated programs.

The more this is shaking out, it really looks like Cincinnati is #11 and #12 is a vote between BYU and us, if they decide to expand.

Reaction Score
First time poster here...
With conference realignment, Rutgers is like the Trust-fund kid ( that nobody likes) who never did anything notable but inherited a path of financial stability.
You will fit right in here on the boneyard bashing Rutgers in your fist post.
Welcome aboard and hide the women and children.

Reaction Score
Everything BYU does is about its religious mission. But it shows BYU football and basketball games and presumably if they joined and a B12 network was started, they'd have to amend or give up those rights. I don't have ratings numbers, but you'd have to assume those games are among their highest-rated programs.

The more this is shaking out, it really looks like Cincinnati is #11 and #12 is a vote between BYU and us, if they decide to expand.

If it's between us and BYU I think I'm going to be sick.

Reaction Score

Why wouldn't we be #11, if a network is the most important angle to this expansion? I'm curious as to why everyone has penned Cincinnati in as such a certainty? Did I miss something somewhere?

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

How does the LDS church make a profit when they feel the hungry and house the homeless?

According to you, they must be making a profit somewhere.

Reaction Score
Why wouldn't we be #11, if a network is the most important angle to this expansion? I'm curious as to why everyone has penned Cincinnati in as such a certainty? Did I miss something somewhere?
Geographic partner for WVU, better football program, Ohio recruiting in-roads, good-enough TV market, 800 miles closer to B12 territory than Storrs. If they're going to add one geographic outlier in BYU, adding another on the complete opposite side of the country who isn't a competitive slam dunk in football (we're not even close) isn't something I can see a lot of presidents warming up to when there's another acceptable option that's closer.

Reaction Score
Was just going to post the same thing. The Cincy stuff is simply noise. You want something more than noise..........the hiring of Tranghese. To me, they brought him in to negotiate not sell. You don't do that this late in the game to simply push the merits of the university. You do that to close.

Reaction Score
How does the LDS church make a profit when they feel the hungry and house the homeless?

According to you, they must be making a profit somewhere.
The network has to be funded in some respect, whether they take profit from it or put that money into another initiative, I don't know. The point is, the network is there and if an invitation from the Big 12 and a B12 network were to be explored, it's something that would have to be considered by both sides.

That said, the further this goes, the more the tea leaves come out, it appears this is a decision between BYU and UConn. It's very, very difficult to foresee a scenario where 11/12 are those two schools. They won't leave Cincinnati on the table for that option. If you want a slam dunk option for UConn, hope and pray Boren pulls a rabbit out of his hat and convinces FSU and Clemson to jump ship to the B12. Then we're home free.

Reaction Score
Geographic partner for WVU, better football program, Ohio recruiting in-roads, good-enough TV market, 800 miles closer to B12 territory than Storrs. If they're going to add one geographic outlier in BYU, adding another on the complete opposite side of the country who isn't a competitive slam dunk in football (we're not even close) isn't something I can see a lot of presidents warming up to when there's another acceptable option that's closer.
Football? You give UConn a few years in the Big12 and they will run circles around Cincy. Everything is in place, sans conference affiliation, for UConn to become an upper tier football program.

Reaction Score
We have two things going for us, that the OU president has stated as important to expansion. Academics and the better market. Is it enough? I don't know. Cincy was 7-5, this year, we were 6-6. Have they been consistently better than us? Yes but their not Alabama and were not Idaho as a comparison. Yes they are closer to WVU and yes they have a more fertile recruiting area. They have their positives we have ours. I say concede nothing ahead of time and fight to be 11.

Reaction Score
Football? You give UConn a few years in the Big12 and they will run circles around Cincy. Everything is in place, sans conference affiliation, for UConn to become an upper tier football program.
Start thinking with your brain and not your heart, this is an irrelevant argument. Sure, we'd probably improve in the B12, but so would they. The difference is, their track record over the past five+ years has been consistent success in football. Since Edsall left, ours has been as a joke. Give them the same opportunity to be a B12 team and there's no reason to think they become even better as well.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The network has to be funded in some respect, whether they take profit from it or put that money into another initiative, I don't know. The point is, the network is there and if an invitation from the Big 12 and a B12 network were to be explored, it's something that would have to be considered by both sides.

That said, the further this goes, the more the tea leaves come out, it appears this is a decision between BYU and UConn. It's very, very difficult to foresee a scenario where 11/12 are those two schools. They won't leave Cincinnati on the table for that option. If you want a slam dunk option for UConn, hope and pray Boren pulls a rabbit out of his hat and convinces FSU and Clemson to jump ship to the B12. Then we're home free.
If metrics are really driving the process, it could be UConn/BYU. That would be a world class kick for Cinci.

I don't see BYU being willing to make the necessary concessions and I think the Big 12 presidents may be weary of bringing in another diva.

We're still doomed.

Reaction Score
We have two things going for us, that the OU president has stated as important to expansion. Academics and the better market. Is it enough? I don't know. Cincy was 7-5, this year, we were 6-6. Have they been consistently better than us? Yes but their not Alabama and were not Idaho as a comparison. Yes they are closer to WVU and yes they have a more fertile recruiting area. They have their positives we have ours. I say concede nothing ahead of time and fight to be 11.
Oh absolutely, we shouldn't concede and should most definitely continue propping our positive value, academics, TV potential, basketball, etc. My only point is, as team #11 they have a major leg up on us. Our best argument is to be team #12 with them, as opposed to team #11 + BYU instead of them.

We should be propping up ourselves and Cincinnati as a way to expand the conference east into the eastern time zone, into larger TV markets, create a bit of an eastern pod, to allow their teams to come consistently be on TV in big cities, play in NFL stadiums, and be on in prime time. Tell them wanna invite BYU? Have fun being on TV at 10 PM every night when no one's watching. Have fun creating another portion of the conference on an island. How long until they want a travel partner as well? Problem is, no one else is there. This is our best move, partner ourselves with Cincinnati and pitch it as the best package deal they can get. If we start pitching ourselves against UC, we risk alienating people within the B12 who've already made up their minds that UC is a correct addition.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oh absolutely, we shouldn't concede and should most definitely continue propping our positive value, academics, TV potential, basketball, etc. My only point is, as team #11 they have a major leg up on us. Our best argument is to be team #12 with them, as opposed to team #11 + BYU instead of them.
I'll agree to disagree. Your argument has some good points. I still say for a conference network, we are the better add. Our WBB will provide content people want to watch for such a network. Our MBB is at least as big an advantage over their MBB as their FB is over ours.

Reaction Score
I'll agree to disagree. Your argument has some good points. I still say for a conference network, we are the better add. Our WBB will provide content people want to watch for such a network. Our MBB is at least as big an advantage over their MBB as their FB is over ours.
Women's bball is an absolute ratings nonstarter when comparing it to football. It simply is. Yes, our girls bring in some good ratings a few times a year, and are a great add-on argument for us. We can say hey, look at all of these positives we have - and also, by the way, you get our women's program too on top. As a primary argument, it won't work. But I still think this notion that we should be competing against UC for a spot is horribly misguided. We need to be pitching ourselves as a better option than BYU and potentially the other Florida schools and/or UH. Though it appears those schools are progressively gaining less traction.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 57m57 minutes ago
My statement on Barry Tramel audio...
I will only refer you to our Jan 3rd & Feb 15th tweets.
The Conception & Birth of...

UC/UCONN to B12

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 52m52 minutes ago
http://cdn.stationcaster.com/stations/wjox/media/mp3/Berry_Tramel-1455895199.mp3

Listen.
As we reported on Feb 15th

Cincy/UCONN to Big 12.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 51m51 minutes ago
http://cdn.stationcaster.com/stations/wjox/media/mp3/Berry_Tramel-1455895199.mp3

Tramel indicates Cincy-BYU-UCONN 2 out of the 3 on Audio.
FOX wants Eatern P5 content...to play ball.

UC/UCONN

Martin borg ‏@Martyaborg · 48m48 minutes ago
@flugempire yes but ESPN wants byu. Byu is not out just yet

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire
@Martyaborg
ESPN already has BYU...and at good market prices.
ESPN won't let FOX get into FLA.
So FOX gets 2 Eastern P5 Schools content

Martin borg ‏@Martyaborg · 36m36 minutes ago
@flugempire your very informed for sure. Your point of ESPN not pushing byu in big 12 because they own byu is every byu fans worst fear

Martin borg ‏@Martyaborg · 25m25 minutes ago
@pedrodon @BostonCoug big12 will add eventual add who ESPN/fox want. As a byu fan I have to wonder would ESPN push byu in or keep byu Indy?

BostonCoug ‏@BostonCoug · 21m21 minutes ago
@Martyaborg @pedrodon couldn't the same question be asked of other candidates? ESPN gets them more cheaply in the ACC, correct?

BostonCoug ‏@BostonCoug · 16m16 minutes ago
@Martyaborg @pedrodon sorry. Meant to say AAC.

Martin borg ‏@Martyaborg · 17m17 minutes ago
@BostonCoug @pedrodon excellent point.

Reaction Score
I still can't believe conferences with HQ based in Chicago, North Carolina, and now possibly TX all want a piece of NYC market, with no major conference in the NE.

The lack of energy from MSG during March these days make me very sad

Crazy times to live in...

Reaction Score
MH3 ‏@MH3 · Feb 18
Just heard the AAC has reached out to BYU, Boise St, SDSU, and Colorado St in regards to joining after defections of UC/Uconn. #dejavu

MH3 ‏@MH3 · Feb 18
AAC offering a $5m signing bonus per school to join if all 4 come together

MH3 ‏@MH3 · 4h4 hours ago
Fwiw my AAC contact says TV deal can get better not just stay the same with additions of the 4 I mentioned yesterday.

AAC also exploring a conference network model that could add several million to the yearly pot of $.nowhere near the P5 but (cont)

(Cont)would be partnered with CBS and would allow cbs to buy more AAC content off of ESPN and increase their profile in sports programming

Reaction Score
Women's bball is an absolute ratings nonstarter when comparing it to football. It simply is. Yes, our girls bring in some good ratings a few times a year, and are a great add-on argument for us. We can say hey, look at all of these positives we have - and also, by the way, you get our women's program too on top. As a primary argument, it won't work. But I still think this notion that we should be competing against UC for a spot is horribly misguided. We need to be pitching ourselves as a better option than BYU and potentially the other Florida schools and/or UH. Though it appears those schools are progressively gaining less traction.

I was talking about additional content for a network, not necessarily comparing wbb to cfb. Those conference networks need additional content to FB, that people will watch. Our numbers for SNY speak for themselves.

We are not competing AGAINST Cincinnati. We are competing to be the 1st team to get their ticket punched IF the Big 12 says expansion is go. If Cincinnati is the next school picked great. If its BYU great.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 57m57 minutes ago
My statement on Barry Tramel audio...
I will only refer you to our Jan 3rd & Feb 15th tweets.
The Conception & Birth of...

UC/UCONN to B12

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 52m52 minutes ago

Listen.
As we reported on Feb 15th

Cincy/UCONN to Big 12.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 51m51 minutes ago

Tramel indicates Cincy-BYU-UCONN 2 out of the 3 on Audio.
FOX wants Eatern P5 content...to play ball.

UC/UCONN

Martin borg ‏@Martyaborg · 48m48 minutes ago
@flugempire yes but ESPN wants byu. Byu is not out just yet

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire
@Martyaborg
ESPN already has BYU...and at good market prices.
ESPN won't let FOX get into FLA.
So FOX gets 2 Eastern P5 Schools content

Martin borg ‏@Martyaborg · 36m36 minutes ago
@flugempire your very informed for sure. Your point of ESPN not pushing byu in big 12 because they own byu is every byu fans worst fear

Martin borg ‏@Martyaborg · 25m25 minutes ago
@pedrodon @BostonCoug big12 will add eventual add who ESPN/fox want. As a byu fan I have to wonder would ESPN push byu in or keep byu Indy?

BostonCoug ‏@BostonCoug · 21m21 minutes ago
@Martyaborg @pedrodon couldn't the same question be asked of other candidates? ESPN gets them more cheaply in the ACC, correct?

BostonCoug ‏@BostonCoug · 16m16 minutes ago
@Martyaborg @pedrodon sorry. Meant to say AAC.

Martin borg ‏@Martyaborg · 17m17 minutes ago
@BostonCoug @pedrodon excellent point.

I forgot that ESPN already had BYU. I'll say one thing about The Flug, whether he's got sources or not, the guy does his homework.

Reaction Score
How do you expect a non-profit to function if it can't even pay it's bills? Just because something is designated as a non-profit doesn't mean the employees work for free and there aren't basic operational costs associated with running the organization.

The major benefits of a non-profit status are tax-related. Major deductions and benefits. That doesn't preclude them from having costs associated with their operation and running a television network incurs major costs.

The Mormon Church has to support itself. By all reports that is not a problem. Every separate activity that the Mormon Church participates in -- such as broadcasting -- does not need to support itself if the Church is willing to make up the difference

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan

Top Bottom