NIL + transfer portal impact on CBB | Page 9 | The Boneyard

NIL + transfer portal impact on CBB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
This article captures the recent “NIL” realities out there. If you can’t access use the “Show Reader” setting in your browsers window and you should be fine.

Reaction Score

“The problem is the name, image and likeness should not be a part of it and it’s become a part of it,” Calipari said. “And if anybody is talking to me about name, image and likeness as part of the transfer, I’m not really interested.”

Players don’t sign with Kentucky for money, Calipari says. They sign with this program to compete for titles and develop alongside other elite talent. If they’re looking for anything else, Lexington won’t be their next home.

You know it’s bad when it doesn’t sit well with calamari

Reaction Score

“The problem is the name, image and likeness should not be a part of it and it’s become a part of it,” Calipari said. “And if anybody is talking to me about name, image and likeness as part of the transfer, I’m not really interested.”

Players don’t sign with Kentucky for money, Calipari says. They sign with this program to compete for titles and develop alongside other elite talent. If they’re looking for anything else, Lexington won’t be their next home.

Yeah, right money hasn't played a role in KY basketball recruiting.

Reaction Score
Interesting article. I think we can figure out a way to pay the market rate for basketball but I just can’t see uconn football ever being able to win against decent d1 team ever again…not that we were winning much before NIL.

Reaction Score
Another poster contacted me that previously Maryland wasn’t heavily involved for Edwards. Now they are on his list and we aren’t. Maryland had Under Armour and we don’t. NIL’s are driving the bus right now for 4 and 5 star players.

Reaction Score
I would make one rule change right now. Let players return to college after the NBA draft if they still have eligibility. The sport needs more chaos

Reaction Score
I would make one rule change right now. Let players return to college after the NBA draft if they still have eligibility. The sport needs more chaos
Adds a whole new transfer period a few weeks before on campus activities. Sounds great!

Reaction Score
Pretty sure they already do, with the caveat that they need to have participated in the NBA Combine in order to return to college - Link

Reaction Score
Hypothetically, Sanogo could have a great year for us but still not be an nba first rounder, though it would be a good opportunity for him to leave anyway to develop in a more similar system to the nba like the g-league or even on a roster as a second round pick.

The NIL opportunity would be to keep him at uconn for his senior year for 500k or something. He fits into the category of player that could really benefit from this by making serious money, while uconn also benefits by getting an extra year of an all American type player.

Reaction Score

...Meanwhile Kentucky's best player, who is a transfer(!!), is the HIGHEST paid player in college.

Calipari is always so full of bullcrap. Such a snake

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
...Meanwhile Kentucky's best player, who is a transfer(!!), is the HIGHEST paid player in college.

Yeah, and as Huggy referred to, we know how that Tshiebwe transfer played out.

Hes sad hes got less of a competitive edge now. NBA soon?

Reaction Score
Pretty sure they already do, with the caveat that they need to have participated in the NBA Combine in order to return to college - Link
Oh, I'm not talking about undrafted players. I'm talking about a system like with College Hockey. Players that are taken by teams.

I'm just trying to add to the chaos.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This is all pure craziness
NIL and the xfer portal is death to college athletics as we knew it. I guess if the majority of people like it - so be it.
To start, the NCAA should create a maximum amount of payout that is drastically below the $100,000 mark and limit number available per team. If players don't like it - try out for the pro leagues. One and done are bad enough. Coaches are going to become financial power brokers first and player development is going to be a second thought.
For a state school like UConn, where is this money going to come from? The state cannot pay this out of the budget without facing unfair bias towards athletes. I don't see an uncomplicated way this will work.
Maybe its time to revisit an expanded minor league system for the NBA and let the organizations pay the costs.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This pretty much says it all.

“We’re funneling everything previously under-the-table over the table,” says one SEC staff member who spoke to SI under the condition of anonymity. “The big change is the numbers are going up. Before [NIL], you knew it was bulls--- if a kid came to you and said he was getting more than $50,000 from another school. Now, numbers that used to be bulls--- aren’t bulls--- anymore.

“Everything now comes down to how willing are your boosters and how rich are your boosters. You’re pretty much f----- if you don’t have the booster bank.”

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
To start, the NCAA should create a maximum amount of payout that is drastically below the $100,000 mark and limit number available per team. If players don't like it - try out for the pro leagues.
Please explain how the NCAA could possibly justify this while coaching salaries have no cap (look at Nick Saban's current compensation).

Reaction Score

Exactly, he just has more competition for the players he wants now so he doesn't like it. His spinning it as some moral stand is the height of hypocrisy as Oscar is counting stacks instead of getting drafted.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

He transferred before NIL and improved tremendously since he left WVU. It kinda proves his point perfectly tbh.

Reaction Score
This is all pure craziness
NIL and the xfer portal is death to college athletics as we knew it. I guess if the majority of people like it - so be it.
To start, the NCAA should create a maximum amount of payout that is drastically below the $100,000 mark and limit number available per team. If players don't like it - try out for the pro leagues. One and done are bad enough. Coaches are going to become financial power brokers first and player development is going to be a second thought.
For a state school like UConn, where is this money going to come from? The state cannot pay this out of the budget without facing unfair bias towards athletes. I don't see an uncomplicated way this will work.
Maybe its time to revisit an expanded minor league system for the NBA and let the organizations pay the costs.

The money for every school is coming from wealthy boosters. No school is outright paying players, that's not allowed. So in UConn's case, or any other state school, the school will not be paying athletes and the state will not be paying athletes. If some UConn alum owns a car dealership and wants to put Andre's face on the back of every car he sells, then so be it. He can pay Andre as much as he wants. These big SEC schools just have enough fans/boosters that care enough to throw boat loads of money at these kids. It has nothing to do with how much money the school has.

Reaction Score
From the athletes perspective, I'm not seeing a ton of negatives to NIL/Transfer Portal.

Good players have lots of opportunity. That was probably a given. I think there was some concern that lesser players would forced out and not find a new home. It looks like our players that were struggling at UCONN found new homes.

Obviously we should wait a bit for dust to settle, but so far NIL/Transfer Portal looks good for the athletes.

Reaction Score
The money for every school is coming from wealthy boosters. No school is outright paying players, that's not allowed. So in UConn's case, or any other state school, the school will not be paying athletes and the state will not be paying athletes. If some UConn alum owns a car dealership and wants to put Andre's face on the back of every car he sells, then so be it. He can pay Andre as much as he wants. These big SEC schools just have enough fans/boosters that care enough to throw boat loads of money at these kids. It has nothing to do with how much money the school has.

I like the Penn State idea. Get 10,000 fans to give $10 - $500 each per month to a collective. Maybe that would work here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom