NIL + transfer portal impact on CBB | Page 8 | The Boneyard

NIL + transfer portal impact on CBB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
First off, in the true interest of student athletes, NIL should be collected from all D1 schools based on revenue (not profit) from sports and distributed evenly to athletes.
I thought the Covid wavers were for a limited time only. If not, the playing field will change drastically. Players in the 50 to 150 range will not be patient to develop slowly over 4 years. They will go to low level teams where they can be the star and hope to get “called up” to the “majors”.
I think we are fine in that scenario but it sucks if your trying to build a program from scratch.
Unfortunately, greed ruins everything.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
Why does Adams have any control over Shannon's choice?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
The solution is so damn simple. Just implement an NIL salary cap. I’ve said it on here a bunch. If you go over the cap, you are ineligible for postseason play
Simple and illegal. You can’t limit wages unless the individual is in a union and getting paid through employer.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
People like him have been fine for years with all sorts of stuff going on, but now that now that it is all legal, and other schools are shaking things up, it's the end of the world.
Yeah, that’s a false comparison. It’s kind of like saying people in major cities are being robbed anyway, so what’s the difference if we just stop having a police force.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The solution is so damn simple. Just implement an NIL salary cap. I’ve said it on here a bunch. If you go over the cap, you are ineligible for postseason play
I’m not sure it’s a solution, a Band-Aid perhaps but not a solution. Say you have a $2 million. How does that get spent? Every player equally? What if a rival’s booster is offering superstar $1 million in NIL. Think your superstar is going to settle for splitting his money equally?

Reaction Score
Yeah, that’s a false comparison. It’s kind of like saying people in major cities are being robbed anyway, so what’s the difference if we just stop having a police force.
There's nothing false about it. Athletes have been getting all sorts of stuff under the table for decades, and these guys never said anything. Now that the schools that they favor are finding themselves in a wide open "bidding war" for players, guys like Vitale want to claim some sort of moral high ground. Hypocrites, all of them.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
There are basically no rules on NIL, so as long as you know a guy who knows a guy conversations can be had indirectly and it's not against the rules.

Given Caleb Williams was Addison's QB in HS, it smells extra funny. I imagine Lincoln knows what he's doing and to best of his ability has not left incriminating evidence of USC involvement. It'll be tough for Pitt to prove, but if Riley gets away with this, what he's orchestrated will certainly become a model for other big-pocket-booster programs going forward. And that's not good for CFB, at least not for the UConns of the world.

Reaction Score
I don’t think you should be labeled a conspiracy theorist for thinking it mighta had a significant hand in a 60 year old coach coming off a final 4 deciding to retire outa left field. Not saying it’s 100% the reason, but this is something reportedly many coaches are struggling with/are not a fan of.

And if you’re gonna ask why he wouldn’t just say it, anyone who comes out against NIL is the bad guy. I wouldn’t expect someone with his pristine reputation to risk becoming a public enemy with a controversial take on this. Much easier to use the family excuse every coach uses when they step down or are fired.

Again I don’t believe any of this 100%, but dismissing doesn’t make sense when it’s clearly making waves in the sport.
I buy that Wright angle. Recruiting is awful from all accounts. The college coaches hate it.

Look at Brad Stevens, Billy Donovan. They just as soon get the hell out of dodge than brokering cash to kids

Reaction Score
1. The billionaire threatening the college student is a really good look, but then again we've recently pulled back the curtain on billionaires and they seem to have plenty of free time.

2. Why in the world are coaches and reporters blaming the NCAA for this? This is what you wanted!! You attacked the NCAA for the last 2 decades. Welcome to your NCAA fantasy. This is it.

Reaction Score
NIL deals and Transfer Portal are more important than saving college sports in my opinion. That said, both could significantly damage college sports. Tough for me to say what may cause more damage. This transfer portal thing is chaos. Roster continuity may be a thing of the past.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
In this contest for NIL money between school boosters we’re totally screwed. Our boosters are notoriously frugal and the support always seems luke warm.

Question. Can the NIL money be pooled for the entire team? Like NIL money for doing full team events for a business? Can Danny legally sell access to the team for shared NIL money?

Reaction Score
In this contest for NIL money between school boosters we’re totally screwed. Our boosters are notoriously frugal and the support always seems luke warm.

Question. Can the NIL money be pooled for the entire team? Like NIL money for doing full team events for a business? Can Danny legally sell access to the team for shared NIL money?
Danny/UConn officially can't be involved in the deals. Someone else can, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom