NIL + transfer portal impact on CBB | Page 7 | The Boneyard

NIL + transfer portal impact on CBB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The solution is so damn simple. Just implement an NIL salary cap. I’ve said it on here a bunch. If you go over the cap, you are ineligible for postseason play
How would such a cap work? I can't imagine a scenario where the NCAA says, "The total NIL compensation for a school's roster is X dollars," and then everything is hunky-dory. How is that total calculated? How is it policed?

Build a 10-foot wall around these programs, and they will pull out their 12-foot ladders from Werner, the official ladder of the NCAA.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Yes, he's been treated exceptionally well by LifeWallet since he signed his NIL deal with them 16 days ago lol

Lol I’m sure what he really means is he’s been sending him cash since he became a hurricane, including now that he can do it through NIL

Reaction Score
How would such a cap work? I can't imagine a scenario where the NCAA says, "The total NIL compensation for a school's roster is X dollars," and then everything is hunky-dory. How is that total calculated? How is it policed?

Build a 10-foot wall around these programs, and they will pull out their 12-foot ladders from Werner, the official ladder of the NCAA.
Require kids, boosters, or companies to disclose their NIL deals. The NCAA still has total authority over March Madness. If a program doesn't want to comply, the NCAA can ban them for as long as they are out of compliance.

Reaction Score
The solution is so damn simple. Just implement an NIL salary cap. I’ve said it on here a bunch. If you go over the cap, you are ineligible for postseason play

Require kids, boosters, or companies to disclose their NIL deals. The NCAA still has total authority over March Madness. If a program doesn't want to comply, the NCAA can ban them for as long as they are out of compliance.
…. and how would they handle all the other NCAA sponsored sports?

Wasn’t the crux of the O’Bannon lawsuit/ruling that the NCAA couldn’t cap the the earning potential of the college athlete without violating anti-trust/anti-competitive practices? A NCAA imposed cap sounds like another lawsuit waiting to happen. Unfortunately (fortunately?) it appears that some type of federal legislative intervention may be/need to be part of the solution.

I don’t have the answer… just talking out loud. I think we are at a “be careful what you wish for” moment.

Reaction Score
…. and how would they handle all the other NCAA sponsored sports?

Wasn’t the crux of the O’Bannon lawsuit/ruling that the NCAA couldn’t cap the the earning potential of the college athlete without violating anti-trust/anti-competitive practices? A NCAA imposed cap sounds like another lawsuit waiting to happen. Unfortunately (fortunately?) it appears that some type of federal legislative intervention may be/need to be part of the solution.

I don’t have the answer… just talking out loud. I think we are at a “be careful what you wish for” moment.
I'm not paid millions of dollars to figure this stuff out. That's the suits job

Reaction Score
What really sucks is that this is going to have a larger impact on basketball than football. Football has so many mouths to feed that NIL may get watered down and really just reserved for skill position players. Basketball only has ~10 impact players on a team. A few million dollars goes a lotttt further in basketball than it does on a football team of 100 guys.

Reaction Score
This seems way too idealistic, would be extremely easy to hide this from the NCAA (just like what was happening before NIL). So this isn't really a solution

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Who’s over putting together NIL packages for us? That position has become super important. Isn’t that Freeman’s role?

Reaction Score
Who’s over putting together NIL packages for us? That position has become super important. Isn’t that Freeman’s role?
Schools/Staff are not allowed to act as agents on behalf of the players. That is basically the ONLY rule NIL has. Whether or not schools abide by it is a different story.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
To everyone acting like this is the end of the world: How did you think it was going to work?

Why is it a problem if Kentucky's national player of the year is making millions next year? Shouldn't he? Millions are being made off of him.

Yes, it looks ugly in a lot of ways, but that's because we've been trained to think of this sham of amateurism the NCAA has foisted on everyone for 50 years.

If you think this will result in only the top teams winning, I think that train has left the station.

Reaction Score
I’m waiting for the contract that says a kid needs to scream “Bob’s auto repair” before every free throw.

I completely expect that every interview done next year of every student athlete with NIL is going to resemble those done of NASCAR drivers…

“First I’d like to thank sponsors A, B, C, Z for helping us out…blah blah blah”

Reaction Score
To everyone acting like this is the end of the world: How did you think it was going to work?

Why is it a problem if Kentucky's national player of the year is making millions next year? Shouldn't he? Millions are being made off of him.

Yes, it looks ugly in a lot of ways, but that's because we've been trained to think of this sham of amateurism the NCAA has foisted on everyone for 50 years.

If you think this will result in only the top teams winning, I think that train has left the station.

There’s also an element of moral panic reporting to all of this

Reaction Score
I’ve worked in the world of sports sponsorship for 25 years. I am not an NIL expert and I don’t purport to be one. But I will say this… most reputable and well-known national brands won’t touch the space, mostly because there’s little opportunity for meaningful and measurable ROI or impact across a host of brand measures. The brands that are credibly utilizing NLI are doing so in a targeted way (to support rebranding, new product launches, expansion into new markets, etc), or because the student-athlete adds relevance and credibility to the brand and/or its products/services based on the young man’s or woman’s academic major, areas of interest, personal background or story - and NOT based on what sport they play. I exclude endemic brands above, such as energy/isotonic beverages in the examples above.

I do believe that the NCAA has mismanaged NIL in a monumental way, and I am not the least bit surprised. The best way to fix this, IMO, is for the NCAA to set up a fast-track review team, whose sole focus is to approve or disapprove NIL deals based on publicly available information that clearly spells out all the approval process and criteria that must be met (i.e., a credible connection between brand and athlete). If the NCAA needs to set aside budget to cover costs related to this review process, let them keep a small percentage of any NIL deal it approves - from the overall NIL agent fee. Controls need to be put in place. Quickly.
It might be too little too late. Anything the ncaa tries will lead to a lawsuit, and they can’t retroactively go back and redo agreements already in place.
This sport has been changed and the horse is outta the barn. Hang on for the ride, we don’t have a choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom