NIL + transfer portal impact on CBB | The Boneyard

NIL + transfer portal impact on CBB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Something has to change. Thanks for sharing... I knew this kind of stuff was happening, but not quite the specifics. It's a whole reality that these coaches weren't prepared for.

And you know the players aren't the ones making the most money out of this, either. The predatory NIL agents are.

Reaction Score
Not sustainable.
It's not sustainable for 95% of the programs. The ones with billionaire donors (basically all of the rich SEC schools and elite schools like UNC, Duke, UVA, Michigan, UCLA, etc) will be able to play this game forever. The NCAA needed to build in some sort of program "salary" cap to be eligible for postseason play if they wanted to make this more fair. But the NCAA is useless.

These NIL collectives are literally just a revolving slush fund to purchase players

Reaction Score
It'll reach some type of balance and equilibrium. There are only so many spots to move up into and meanwhile, some very good players will choose to move down for playing time, like Diggins. Programs with all 5 star recruits will get the same recruits and it's not like they can force kids who don't pan out into the portal, can they? It could put the kibosh on Overtime Elite because kids will get paid and get an education which is really a far better option for kids coming out of high school. All very interesting.

Reaction Score
It was all entirely predictable and so this is where we are.

I agree that I don't think this system is sustainable for the vast majority of athletic departments at least in terms of remaining competitive at the highest levels. The separation will come and some 40 or so programs will head there own way offering pay days to recruits and transfers that most programs will not be able to match.

My prediction is that the BiG raids the PAC12 and that we end up with a north/south divide largely based on the SEC and BiG. That group will lobby to stay in the NCAA tournament and threaten with forming their own end of season playoff/tournament. My guess is that breaks off too.

What I find interesting about that scenario is that I believe it shrinks the overall market for college athletics. What connection will folks have or feel to those elite programs once they break off, unless they are directly associated with them? At that point those programs are viewed primarily as feeder systems for the NFL and NBA unless you have a direct affiliation. College athletics has (or had) a different draw and appeal than the professional leagues. It is (or was) a different experience. My longwinded way of saying that I think this could all be very detrimental to the top programs and their media partners when this is all said and done.

Reaction Score
I wonder how feasible it would be to secure $1-2M a year in NIL collective funding. That would give each player on the team a guaranteed ~$100-200K per year. And while that won't be able to sniff the $750k to $1M+ paydays some other schools can offer, that would definitely be enough to make us competitive for any recruit outside of that top 10 5* group.

That Rutgers tweet (still forever the GOAT tweet) about how all of our players made $1B+ in career earnings shows that we have the means to do it, but we'd have to convince these guys to shell out like $50k or $100k a year with zero return on their money except W's...

Reaction Score
It's horrible for the sport and I don't know why some on this board are pretending it's not. It forced Jay Wright to retire 10-15 years before his time and my guess is it forced Roy into hanging it up early. The sport is on a really bad course with this stuff.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
It’s about to start mattering a lot less who your coach is, since a big part of that is usually his ability to get players. If your a booster, where is your money better spent now?

Reaction Score
I wonder how feasible it would be to secure $1-2M a year in NIL collective funding. That would give each player on the team a guaranteed ~$100-200K per year. And while that won't be able to sniff the $750k to $1M+ paydays some other schools can offer, that would definitely be enough to make us competitive for any recruit outside of that top 10 5* group.
Isn't @Waquoit loaded with money? He could probably cover the $1M or $2M himself

Reaction Score
$$BLING$$ - Boneyard Likeness Image & Name Gua-run-teed!

Get some former and current UCONN/NBA players to buy a sprawling estate ala Ray Allen's Florida home, host fund-raisers and galas for alumni and recruits. It's all good.

1650641494711.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul