NIL + transfer portal impact on CBB | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NIL + transfer portal impact on CBB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
NIL and free transfer mercenary portal has catapulted the SEC in college basketball in a great position moving forward in college basketball.

The Big East now especially with the retirement of Jay Wright is in trouble. We will be relegated to below the the PAC-12 level in basketball. Big East schools will have difficulty keeping up.

UCONN can play the pay to play game, but the rest of the conference cannot.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
How many of these NIL deals are even "disclosed"? Do we think our program has booster funded bags for kids?

Are our boosters doing more than getting Andre Jackson Cheese-Itz sponsorships?

Reaction Score
I wonder how feasible it would be to secure $1-2M a year in NIL collective funding. That would give each player on the team a guaranteed ~$100-200K per year. And while that won't be able to sniff the $750k to $1M+ paydays some other schools can offer, that would definitely be enough to make us competitive for any recruit outside of that top 10 5* group.

That Rutgers tweet (still forever the GOAT tweet) about how all of our players made $1B+ in career earnings shows that we have the means to do it, but we'd have to convince these guys to shell out like $50k or $100k a year with zero return on their money except W's...
Soo pretty much what I said earlier. We're going to have to create and sustain a $1M slush fund every single year

Reaction Score
$$BLING$$ - Boneyard Likeness Image & Name Gua-run-teed!

Get some former and current UCONN/NBA players to buy a sprawling estate ala Ray Allen's Florida home, host fund-raisers and galas for alumni and recruits. It's all good.
not sure Ray-Ray wants anything to do with UConn after the Ollie fiasco.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Not surprising and additional evidence that the governing body (NCAA) is toothless.

Boosters from schools that had been 'coloring outside of the lines' prior to NIL were obviously going to find a way (the LLC's mentioned) to put organized efforts to procure talent. When NIL was allowed, one stipulation was that it could not be dependent on the school of choice.

Tell me, does anyone believe that it is possible that one of these collectives would sign a kid to an NIL agreement if there was a chance that he (or she) could take their cash yet still sign with a rival program?

Reaction Score
Soo pretty much what I said earlier. We're going to have to create and sustain a $1M slush fund every single year

It's going to have to be way more than $1 mil if we want to keep on with the Joneses. Individual players will be making millions per season to go to programs they're steered to. It's all incredibly ugly and Jay Wright didn't want to reinvent himself this way. If we want to be up at the top we're going to have to get really creative, like somehow convincing Steve Cohen and Ray Dalio to care about UConn basketball.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
It's going to have to be way more than $1 mil if we want to keep on with the Joneses. Individual players will be making millions per season to go to programs they're steered to. It's all incredibly ugly and Jay Wright didn't want to reinvent himself this way. If we want to be up at the top we're going to have to get really creative, like somehow convincing Steve Cohen and Ray Dalio to care about UConn basketball.
No offense, but why would Cohen or Dalio care about UConn basketball? Besides living in the same state 2+ hours away (and a totally different world down there) I'm not sure what incentive they have to get involved. I mean, Cohen just bought the Mets. I think he has bigger fish to fry.

There are absolutely loaded alumni though. Maybe if the school stopped trying to nickel and dime them with season ticket seat fees, they would be more willing to contribute to an NIL fund haha.

Reaction Score
Basketball isn't played by recruiting/transfer rank. The top paying schools only have so many roster spots (and even fewer rotation spots).

University of Georgia gets 5* prospects all the time. They still suck. Arkansas did too. They sucked until they got a good coach. Schematic player development, roster continuity, and coaching is still the name of the game in college basketball and until that or the 1-game elimination tournament changes, most of this stuff will just become business as usual without really impacting the end result.

Reaction Score
Basketball isn't played by recruiting/transfer rank. The top paying schools only have so many roster spots (and even fewer rotation spots).

University of Georgia gets 5* prospects all the time. They still suck. Arkansas did too. They sucked until they got a good coach. Schematic player development, roster continuity, and coaching is still the name of the game in college basketball and until that or the 1-game elimination tournament changes, most of this stuff will just become business as usual without really impacting the end result.
035ostrich_468x538.jpg

Reaction Score
Does UConn have an associated NIL Collective?

I have seen the names of collectives from other P5 schools published, but haven’t seen anything associated with UConn.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
No offense, but why would Cohen or Dalio care about UConn basketball? Besides living in the same state 2+ hours away (and a totally different world down there) I'm not sure what incentive they have to get involved. I mean, Cohen just bought the Mets. I think he has bigger fish to fry.

There are absolutely loaded alumni though. Maybe if the school stopped trying to nickel and dime them with season ticket seat fees, they would be more willing to contribute to an NIL fund haha.
For the record, the totally different world is the one up there, not the one down here.

Dalio (other than that he donated quite a bit of money to improve sate funded education at all levels) would have zero reason to donate to improve the performance of our athletic teams.

Cohen, as owner of the Mets (not sure of the SNY ownership) could however find a way to monetize improvement of a product that SNY uses to fill out offseason content.

Reaction Score

Courting the D'Amelio family seems like a very good strategy going forward. Though I imagine their "15 minutes" of fame will dry up eventually. Key will be to get them to invest good $$$ in a good return NIL fund so it can reap benefits after their multimillion $$$ income starts to fade...

Reaction Score
Luke Murray should make a phone call to his father...apparently he has a net worth of $180M. I'm sure he has some very rich friends as well

Maybe with NIL looming on the horizon, Hurley & Co. were playing 4-D chess and realized the wide-ranging benefits of hiring a very good BB coach who also has a father who loves CBB and might be able to open pursestrings to a big net worth?

Reaction Score
They'll figure it out for basketball. Football is a different story.

"St. John’s does feel ready for it. Last November, it launched UNLIMITED, a program designed to prepare student-athletes, coaches and staff members for NIL. There’s a 13-credit minor, launched in the spring and created by its Peter J. Tobin College of Business, in sports leadership and branding available for any student. St. John’s has also partnered with INFLCR and Teamworks, companies that specialize in social media branding.

How much St. John’s can benefit from NIL remains uncertain. It is located in New York City, where there could be plenty of opportunities for its athletes, most notably members of the flagship men’s basketball program. But this is a pro town as well with celebrity options, whereas in college towns schools like Kentucky, Alabama and Duke are the main draws.

“I don’t know if we have a big advantage. I don’t think we have a big disadvantage, but we’re going to promote it as we have since November,” Cragg said. “We feel like we’re in the best city in America and the opportunities in New York City are like no other. We see this as a positive new asset to the St. John’s experience.”"

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
It's horrible for the sport and I don't know why some on this board are pretending it's not. It forced Jay Wright to retire 10-15 years before his time and my guess is it forced Roy into hanging it up early. The sport is on a really bad course with this stuff.
Wow yeah poor Jay Wright and Roy Williams, the real victims in all this.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying it won't create a system of Haves and Have Nots. I'm saying that already exists and has existed for 30+ years. The only difference is the players get a cut now, which is great.
The only difference?
Wow yeah poor Jay Wright and Roy Williams, the real victims in all this.
That's a bizarre takeaway, I didn't call them victims.

Reaction Score
so how much were promised to newton and alleyne for committing?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Does UConn have an associated NIL Collective?

I have seen the names of collectives from other P5 schools published, but haven’t seen anything associated with UConn.
If we don't then we just got two of the best transfers in the portal without one. The tweets and revelation of all this so openly is a gut punch to those who love the sport. It's a problem. But I still think there are going to be schools, coaches and situations that can attract players even with an NIL disadvantage. LSU and Georgia just lost all their players, despite a major ability to drive NIL money.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I mean... all the idiots who just copycat and parrot the “NCAA BAD Pay players” nonsense at the first mention of the NCAA brought this upon us. Pandora’s box has been opened, hoping the sport survives.

Reaction Score

Well @ 9:00 PM EST we shall see if the 901 Fund lands top transfer Kendric Davis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom