NIL + transfer portal impact on CBB | Page 3 | The Boneyard

NIL + transfer portal impact on CBB

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
At the end of the day each team can only have 13 scholarship players. I’m not worried. Let them eat cake

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
It's also pretty clearly not the primary reason Wright retired so I don't know why it's being repeated as if it's conventional wisdom.
I don’t think you should be labeled a conspiracy theorist for thinking it mighta had a significant hand in a 60 year old coach coming off a final 4 deciding to retire outa left field. Not saying it’s 100% the reason, but this is something reportedly many coaches are struggling with/are not a fan of.

And if you’re gonna ask why he wouldn’t just say it, anyone who comes out against NIL is the bad guy. I wouldn’t expect someone with his pristine reputation to risk becoming a public enemy with a controversial take on this. Much easier to use the family excuse every coach uses when they step down or are fired.

Again I don’t believe any of this 100%, but dismissing doesn’t make sense when it’s clearly making waves in the sport.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Our goal is to win championships and you don’t need these one and done / two and dones to win. Let’s stay the course. Develop players, recruit right fit players, leverage the portal when needed and our time at the top will come again.

Reaction Score
Anyone know a good website like 'NIL for dummies', that explains all this?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Anyone know a good website like 'NIL for dummies', that explains all this?
The Miami athletes will do commercials for Lifewallet. Like these.

Reaction Score
Lawyers are the new recruiting insiders.
He is the founder of MSP technology that powers Life Wallet with a stable of NIL Miami athletes associated with the company.

Reaction Score
The Miami athletes will do commercials for Lifewallet. Like these.

It would be hilarious if Wyoming behind Jeff Linder won the National Championship with Hunter Maldonado and Graham Ike selling discount $5 dollar tee shirts! :) Which they are.

College basketball deserves it.

Reaction Score
College basketball is about to be officially dead as we know it. This is absurd.

The NCAA needs to step in and create some sort of program salary cap for NIL. If you have players earning over a collective $2M per year or whatever, your team is ineligible for March Madness. They cannot let this run wild like this

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hey Guys, We'll just have to wait & see if this current money-straitjacket, greedy feeding frenzy is something which is good or bad for college hoops, & how many of us can abide these changes.

Money has also been a part of the college game. I remember the point shaving scandals of the 50's, 60's & 80's. I remember playing in the old MSG & watching through the smoke, the first 30 rows - mostly gamblers in sharkskin suit & smoking Cubans - overreacting to seemingly meaningless shots by scrubs at the end of games. I always let my teammates be aware of the point-spread so they wouldn't be the guy who hit that shot & became instant targets.

But now, college hoops has no rules anymore & the inmates are running the asylum. The NCAA oversight is dead. And of course, the shady folks (mainly unscrupulous agents, boosters, coaches, universities & parents) will exploit the situation - now right out in the open. You don't need to leave an envelope anymore.

When I was a kid, my whole goal was to play college basketball & get a free college education - worth then around $6000 for four years. There were mostly good people in the game then & my goal gave me a hoops & academic focus I may not have encountered otherwise. I met my goals & went on to play pro in Europe & also got a MBA from Yale.

But now? Just watch how many of the quality people leave the game or retire early with these insanely greedy changes. It's already happening in both hoops & football.

Of course, most of today's kids don't value a $250K free college education anymore. Many would never qualify for admission. Few even go to class. But now, they will enter the transfer portal every year to make sure that every one of their "uncles" gets paid by the new school. The Largest & Highest bidders will win that game.

Yes, we'll have to wait & see as this all swirls around us & high school kids become millionaires, get shoe deals & drive Ferrari's (hey, LeBron drove a Hummer H2 as a kid). But honestly? These changes really hurt my college hoops lovin' heart.

Father Demo

Reaction Score
For the record, the totally different world is the one up there, not the one down here.

Dalio (other than that he donated quite a bit of money to improve sate funded education at all levels) would have zero reason to donate to improve the performance of our athletic teams.

Cohen, as owner of the Mets (not sure of the SNY ownership) could however find a way to monetize improvement of a product that SNY uses to fill out offseason content.
Interesting comment on Cohen and SNY. That’s creative and commercial.

We’ll probably need some blend of the following:

• Handful of Big time nba players offering some access, lifestyle amenities, and tutelage
  • UHNW alums seeding a hoops endowment of $75M+ that can spit out annual NIL payroll along with growth and inflation.
  • Regular fans and boneyarders making monthly payments into said endowment to keep it growing until it’s self-sustaining in 10 years

It seems like a dream but it’s probably close to what will happen at Duke or USC

Wait until teams start offering ISAs

Reaction Score
College basketball is about to be officially dead as we know it. This is absurd.

The NCAA needs to step in and create some sort of program salary cap for NIL. If you have players earning over a collective $2M per year or whatever, your team is ineligible for March Madness. They cannot let this run wild like this
I agree, college sports as we have known them, are dead, but why would the NCAA do anything but watch this debacle? They will do nothing and say we told you so and/or defer to Congressional action, if that even happens. Maybe I’m old school, but I prefer the secretive shenanigans to overt free agency any day of the week.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
NIL and free transfer mercenary portal has catapulted the SEC in college basketball in a great position moving forward in college basketball.

The Big East now especially with the retirement of Jay Wright is in trouble. We will be relegated to below the the PAC-12 level in basketball. Big East schools will have difficulty keeping up.

UCONN can play the pay to play game, but the rest of the conference cannot.
Yes this totally favors football schools. Hate it.

Reaction Score
Our goal is to win championships and you don’t need these one and done / two and dones to win. Let’s stay the course. Develop players, recruit right fit players, leverage the portal when needed and our time at the top will come again.
All but the very best 1st rounders will have the incentive to stay in school with secure money rather than risk flaming out in the league. It may keep more of the two and done kids in school. On the other hand, professors may find they like the extra cash from kids offering them a cut so the players don't need to go to class to boot. (hopefully sarcasm about the next logical development)

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I will be interesting to see how this impacts the IARP review at Kansas and other schools. Adidas funneled about $90k to Billy Preston’s family and $2500 to Silvio DeSousa’s guardian (and discussed more because they had taken $75k from someone on behalf of Maryland but never paid it). That’s pretty small time compared to all of this now happening openly.

Aside from a group of NIL businesses, I wonder if UConn can hire Heather Austria as a social media advisor for all athletes. That would be a nice perk.

Adidas Executive And Two Others Convicted Of Defrauding Adidas-Sponsored Universities In Connection With Athletic Scholarships

Reaction Score
Look for the D’Amelio’s to help UConn on this. Them being willing to cross market with UConn athletes on social media would be a big help in athletes generating money on social. Aside from that, there is a lot of money flowing to that family. They may be willing to part with some of it to be UConn royalty.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Look for the D’Amelio’s to help UConn on this. Them being willing to cross market with UConn athletes on social media would be a big help in athletes generating money on social. Aside from that, there is a lot of money flowing to that family. They may be willing to part with some of it to be UConn royalty.
It’s not just money with them, it’s exposure. That’s why Heather Austrie could help too. One TikTok with Charli is going to earn you money continuously from the new followers.

If you are smart, (and let’s be honest some poor kids won’t be and will chase life changing money for them) building a strong social media profile is going to earn you money continuously over years. A commercial with a company like Lifewallet is a one time payday. I think this is the best way for UConn to approach this space.

Reaction Score
It’s not just money with them, it’s exposure. That’s why Heather Austrie could help too. One TikTok with Charli is going to earn you money continuously from the new followers.

If you are smart, (and let’s be honest some poor kids won’t be and will chase life changing money for them) building a strong social media profile is going to earn you money continuously over years. A commercial with a company like Lifewallet is a one time payday. I think this is the best way for UConn to approach this space.
That was my point. If Charlie D’Amelio will help Stephon Castle build a huge social network it is very valuable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom