New UCONN logo. | Page 6 | The Boneyard

New UCONN logo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not bad:

New-UCONN-Logo-1-622x174.jpg

Reaction Score
what a disappointment that the graphic artist at nike couldn't have taken two minutes to see that the UConn husky is set apart from all the others by being all white. lazy and unacceptable.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The real-life Jonathan is a white Husky. The previous logo is a Samoyed. The new logo is a Husky.

Therefore you can make the argument that the new logo is a better representation of the real-life Jonathan husky dog.

There, we're done.
You could make that argument, but it wouldn't be accurate.

th

Hi, I'm here for the mascot audition.

Reaction Score
Did they just update the athletics site today? Noticed that earlier. New logo is all over the site now.

They updated it last Thursday, the same day the new logo got leaked.

Reaction Score
what a disappointment that the graphic artist at nike couldn't have taken two minutes to see that the UConn husky is set apart from all the others by being all white. lazy and unacceptable.

Thank you for your two post contribution.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Just curious, from a design standpoint, why does the chin of the Husky cover the O in UCONN? Looks kind of silly, IMO.

Also, with all the hoopla that went into having 1 unified logo, we have the red outline Husky, the non red outline Husky and the all blue/white Husky? Wtf? Why not just pick one, instead of this only over the UConn Athletic Name? How often will we even see that?

UConnHusky-Logo.jpg

mashup.jpg.jpeg

Reaction Score
I agree, just pick one and go with it...and the all red backing has to go. Like many have said already, Red should only be used as an outline. What makes that solid red backing worse is it looks as if we're trying to associate with the Red Sox.

Reaction Score
Here's a comment from the sports logo page discussing Donald. I think this is part of why I call it toupee dog.

"The top half just doesn't seem to have the exact same style as the bottom half. The differences are subtle, but they're there. The top half seems to rely more on almost straight lines to create shapes"

It basically doesn't flow together. they ignored the tradition, which is bad, but then they didn't do a good job of implementing the change either. it looks disjointed somehow, and all I can think of is a guy in a bad toupee. Hence, Donald the toupee dog.

Reaction Score
My guess is at the end of the day the real motivation fo r this is it is not overly detailed and is probably easy, simple really, to reproduce whereas the old logo was fairly complex. Much like the Patriots motivation for replacing Pat with Elvis, they wanted something easy and cheap to produce. I'm not sure how anyone can look at this and not feel that it has a clipart quality. though one could argue that even clipart has a little more quality...but slap on the toupee and there you go.

1060943-Royalty-Free-Vector-Clip-Art-Illustration-Of-A-Black-And-White-Husky-Dog-Face.jpg
stock-vector-wolf-dog-symbol-vector-127479689.jpg

I can easily see one of these being used as the baseline for Donald.

Reaction Score
It wasn't relevant to the point I was making. He likes it. I don't. We both agree that the top half doesn't fit. And I suspect he isn't a UConn Alumnus or fan and has no real knowledge of the history of all white huskies as part of the UConn legacy.

Reaction Score
Here's our logofrom a google clip art. Actually I think this one is better. But to somehow say Donald is some terrific job I just don't get. It is a generic, clipart type logo. I've googled Husky clipart and found 50 (don't worry I won't paste them all) front facing dogs that are comparable or better quality than the new UConn logo. Interesting note is that about half of them also come up if you google free wolf clip art. Good thing Nike did this for free, because if they charged for it they'd have been stealing.
0512-0711-1512-1527.jpg

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Ya know, it's one thing to like the logo, it's another thing to be a completely ignorant about UConns tradition and how by changing that, people are obviously going to be angry.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Here's our logofrom a google clip art. Actually I think this one is better. But to somehow say Donald is some terrific job I just don't get. It is a generic, clipart type logo. I've googled Husky clipart and found 50 (don't worry I won't paste them all) front facing dogs that are comparable or better quality than the new UConn logo. Interesting note is that about half of them also come up if you google free wolf clip art. Good thing Nike did this for free, because if they charged for it they'd have been stealing.
0512-0711-1512-1527.jpg

The UConn raccoons. Is that the new mascot. That sucks. No depth in the nose. It is a cartoon. In fact, compared to our new logo, every single Husky logo I have ever seen, including the old one, sucks. I understand you don't like it, but the people who know graphic design and logo design find it to be excellent. There is no other husky logo out there of comparable quality. This is really getting tiresome. Wishing it was all white is one thing, trashing the quality of what is obviously a very high quality design, is just stupid.

Reaction Score
Stupid Nike execs must have missed the sign posted in UConn's marketing dept. It was plain as day. Betcha it was deliberate.

2713841277_c32ef47c99.jpg

Frankly, the integration of a non-all-white logo could be dangerous. Not only spits on decades of our all-white tradition, but could lead to the eventual downfall of the Storrs community.

They really dropped the ball on this. Now who the heck will be able to differentiate UConn from the St. Cloud States or Houston Baptists of the world?

and you decided to take a picture from the civil rights days to prove a point? u kidding me? That's not funny.... you deserve to be banned for that...

Reaction Score
They wanted a cheat to produce, stylized logo. I get that. And they go that. I could have accepted it is they kept some tradition. But they turned their back on that, too. The end result was a bad idea done poorly. Clipart quality. In fact, they most likely took some file husky/wolf as a baseline and modified it by adding the UConn colors, and a few other stock features, the "toupee" for example, and called it a day. It happens. I was involved in an ad campaign one time where they worked along a Where's Waldo? type theme. Except the final version, when the Character was "unveiled" he turned out to look like an escaped felon. The designer, who had won awards for his work in the past, just didn't see it, and the folks who selected the layout were so taken in by the fact that it was designed by an award winning guy that they didn't see it either. the public, on the other hand, saw the problem and stayed away in droves until we finally and quickly made some changes. I suspect that happened here. Nobody was willing to challenge Nike. they all bought into the "Our old one isn't a husky" line and "its Nike so they must know." But the reality is that it sucks.

Reaction Score
and you decided to take a picture from the civil rights days to prove a point? u kidding me? That's not funny.... you deserve to be banned for that...

Or maybe given a warning that people are going to be that sensitive about a post that was obviously meant to be a joke and a sarcastic response to the all-white husky debate, not meant to be taken that seriously.

I deleted it. Won't go there again. OK?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Now here is company that knows how to implement change without forgetting its roots.

LINKY

Reaction Score
The end result was a bad idea done poorly. Clipart quality.

Just because you keep repeating it doesn't make it true. You don't know what you're talking about.

I'd love for you to produce a logo of similar quality since it's obviously trivially easy to do.

It's fine to dislike the logo - you are absolutely entitled to your opinion. But to over someone else's hard work as clipart? I'm sorry, but it makes you look petty.

Reaction Score
Or maybe given a warning that people are going to be that sensitive about a post that was obviously meant to be a joke and a sarcastic response to the all-white husky debate, not meant to be taken that seriously.

I deleted it. Won't go there again. OK?
Fair enough

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
They wanted a cheat to produce, stylized logo. I get that. And they go that. I could have accepted it is they kept some tradition. But they turned their back on that, too. The end result was a bad idea done poorly. Clipart quality. In fact, they most likely took some file husky/wolf as a baseline and modified it by adding the UConn colors, and a few other stock features, the "toupee" for example, and called it a day. It happens. I was involved in an ad campaign one time where they worked along a Where's Waldo? type theme. Except the final version, when the Character was "unveiled" he turned out to look like an escaped felon. The designer, who had won awards for his work in the past, just didn't see it, and the folks who selected the layout were so taken in by the fact that it was designed by an award winning guy that they didn't see it either. the public, on the other hand, saw the problem and stayed away in droves until we finally and quickly made some changes. I suspect that happened here. Nobody was willing to challenge Nike. they all bought into the "Our old one isn't a husky" line and "its Nike so they must know." But the reality is that it sucks.

I think the UConn people behind the scenes loved it. This is nothing like any crappy clip-art and you constantly saying it doesn't make it so. It is very well done and an outstanding logo. Nobody challenged Nike because they gave us a superior logo, one that has fans of other teams envious. When you get a fantastic logo, there is really little to complain about. That is what we now have. I am sure it will be prominently featured on the t-shirt you wear to the grave.

I cna't wait for the new merchandise to fly off the shelves and end your absurd theories. If there was a way to pry the little patches from my current UConn Huskies Tervis Tumblers and replace them with the new one I would.

Reaction Score

OK. Its obvious that you don't like it...but what are you accomplishing by complaining about it so much ??? Every friggin thread has you whining about "donald". What good is that doing anything ??

We get it. You don't like it. Its enough already.

The response has been mostly positive. Of course, the people who don't like it are most vocal about it. That's the way things work. If you get a crappy taco from Taco Bell, you will say something (You personally will talk about it for months apparently) - But if your taco is good, you go on about your day enjoying the memory of a decent meal, without saying anything.

Nike did a much better job on ours than Oregon State, or Cal. Those 2 fan bases seem to like ours quite a bit. I think that its pretty darn good considering i'm not sure i've ever seen a better looking Husky logo. Maybe it just isn't an easy animal from which to make a logo....i don't know.

And the All white version someone made looks like a bald 80 year old Husky (no offense to the creator, but i like ours much better).

Years ago, no one associated our previous logo's with UCONN, and eventually they did. That will happen again. It always does. And if you're right, and everyone hates it like you, then it will change it again. No matter how it happens, the majority will like it, or it won't last long.

But the complaining just doesn't help anything.

Reaction Score
Just because someone worked hard at it, which I think is probably questionable, but I'll accept for argument's sake, doesn' t neccesarily mean the output is any good. Read the thing upstate posted about the buffaslug. Same thing. probably a talented guy, who apparently worked hard and missed the boat. George Deleone worked hard, but his offense, to be generous, was very bad. The designer of the AMC Gremlin worked hard, and came up with one of the biggest jokes in automotive history. This logo stinks. A kid with access to clipart and a microsoft paint or some similar software could have come up with something just as good. Probably better. It is boring, predictable, indistinguishable form the 9-10 other "Huskies" out there. And it isn't even well done. the top doesn't match the bottom well. What it is is simple and cheap to reproduce on shirts and other gear since it doesn't require the detail that our earlier mascot logos required. Jonathan was pretty intricate to reproduce with lots of details. Donald is simple.Two colors, large areas, no detail. Doesn't require any detail in fact. Much like the decision to replace Pat with Elvis. Buyer decisons are driven by many things, especially for team items. Virtually every UConn freshman will buy Donald, since that will be the sole version available. As fans replace gear or buy gear, they'll buy Donald. Just like the Patriots sold lots of Elvis... when it was the only thing available. Though I think you'll see much more UCONN and HUSKIES than Donald in the future. Look I get that you like it. I don't get why, but you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom