New UCONN logo. | Page 5 | The Boneyard

New UCONN logo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Putting UCONN on the helmets is like going back in time to when they had GIANTS on the helmets instead of the ny. I know the block C is new to the Rent's era but it is much more distinctive than putting UCONN on them. Bad idea.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Philosophical question for the FB board. Is the abandonment of the Block C a nod to satisfy BB interests? Or in other words, does some level of BB centric bias that killed the BE exist in Storrs?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The whining is just unreal. Considering we have no positive legacy in football, suggesting that one helmet or another is more "small time" is nuts. We haven't even seen the new one so can we at least save the complaints?

As for the Giants, yes the word Giants harkens back to the bad old days of Parcels and LT. Yeah they sucked then and it was all on the helmets.

Give me a helmet that looks decent and more importantly, lets try to build some positive history around it. I hate Ohio State's helmets, they look like crap. But the history makes the fans love them.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The whining is just unreal. Considering we have no positive legacy in football, suggesting that one helmet or another is more "small time" is nuts. We haven't even seen the new one so can we at least save the complaints?

As for the Giants, yes the word Giants harkens back to the bad old days of Parcels and LT. Yeah they sucked then and it was all on the helmets.

Give me a helmet that looks decent and more importantly, lets try to build some positive history around it. I hate Ohio State's helmets, they look like crap. But the history makes the fans love them.

I don't actually care much about this stuff but nobody is really 'whining'. If they wear similar helmets to what they wore in FCS - it just reminds of when they weren't playing at the highest level.

Like I said even with that dynamic I'd prefer UConn on the helmets to any dog logo.

Reaction Score

We have had positive history with the block C helmets since we've gone FBS the last two years notwithstanding.. I started watching the Giants full time in 1966 and the need to rearrange the furniture and come up with a new helmet never felt right even when we started to win again. Same thing for the Jets, god awful looking back at the green helmet. I was grateful that Wellington Mara went back to the uniform and logo from the 50's. I hope whoever is behind all this furniture rearranging now picks something that doesn't suck.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
We have had positive history with the block C helmets since we've gone FBS the last two years notwithstanding.. I started watching the Giants full time in 1966 and the need to rearrange the furniture and come up with a new helmet never felt right even when we started to win again. Same thing for the Jets, god awful looking back at the green helmet. I was grateful that Wellington Mara went back to the uniform and logo from the 50's. I hope whoever is behind all this furniture rearranging now picks something that doesn't suck.

As has been said previous: Do not challenge them.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
When it comes to football uniforms I've always had a 'less is more' mentality. As a kid (some 45 year ago) I felt the Baltimore Colts uniform was the best in pro football (hasn't really changed, even with the move halfway cross country) and I always preferred the uniforms of schools like Nebraska and Penn St.

If I were the one designing our uniforms (from any time in my lifetime) it would be basically a darker blue version of what the Colts wear, with some form of a C (our recent block C would be fine) instead of the horseshoe on our helmet.

Reaction Score
When it comes to football uniforms I've always had a 'less is more' mentality. As a kid (some 45 year ago) I felt the Baltimore Colts uniform was the best in pro football (hasn't really changed, even with the move halfway cross country) and I always preferred the uniforms of schools like Nebraska and Penn St.

If I were the one designing our uniforms (from any time in my lifetime) it would be basically a darker blue version of what the Colts wear, with some form of a C (our recent block C would be fine) instead of the horseshoe on our helmet.
I agree with you on the less is more concept. Only thing I differ on is I like blue helmets. I'd put a while stripe on them and a number on the side...basically the Alabama helmet in blue. Or see the 1963 season version here.http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is even more ridiculous in my opinion. Curious to see what they do
For what it is worth, I liked the helmets as an alternate, a lot. I am curious as to what we'll end up with as well. I am "cautiously optimistic."

Reaction Score
Philosophical question for the FB board. Is the abandonment of the Block C a nod to satisfy BB interests? Or in other words, does some level of BB centric bias that killed the BE exist in Storrs?
I don't actually think it is that. I think it is an effort to unify things, though I'm not a great fan of chaning your football helmets every few years, or every few games. I think you build tradition by keeping them pretty much the same over the long haul. Any modification is minor and you dont' make a big deal over it. The "C" gets a little bigger or a little smaller, you add numbers to the back or delete them, you make minor changes to the color...things like that. But I actually don't think this is being driven by a basketball-centric bias. If you look at say Texas over 25 years, you'll see changes, but year to year you won't really notice them. And they don't make a big deal over them. I actually think this is being driven more by our move to a new conference and an error in judgement that somehow we need to rebrand athletics in conjunction with that. I get the rebranding of the University as UConn. That makes a certain amount of sense and matches up with a number of other major universities. Penn, Penn State, Pitt, UCLA, Georgia Tech, Army, Navy are all examples. But the decisions to use red and blue,rather than white and blue, for example, or even white and blue with a red accent, as the UConn athletics is just foolish. Replacing the white husky of 50 years plus tradition, with Donald the Toupee Dog, for no apparent reason, is silly. Seems like one of those decisions to "modernize" things merely for the sake of change. Not for any real reason.

Reaction Score
Donald the Toupee Dog

I'm sorry you don't like the way Huskies evolved through a process known as natural selection, but please...

tumblr_mcf8loptxV1rwq30eo1_500.gif

Reaction Score
oops, guess you missed this one...which looks kind of like the traditional Jonathan actually
1.866.655.FREE
Live Help
English
19,178,814 ROYALTY FREE STOCK PHOTOS
Login
Stock Photo - White Husky standing on green grass background
10256733-white-husky-standing-on-green-grass-background.jpg

Reaction Score
oops, guess you missed this one...which looks kind of like the traditional Jonathan actually

Type "husky" into Google Images. Go ahead. Do it.

95% of the results are the dogs with the "toupee" you so lovingly despise. I'm sorry nature didn't work out the way you wanted it. But by and large, that's what Huskies look like.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
1.866.655.FREE
Live Help
English
19,178,814 ROYALTY FREE STOCK PHOTOS
Login
Stock Photo - White Husky standing on green grass background

That is a Samoyed. You can tell by the long coat. Huskies have shorter coats.

I don't understand this "uniquness" test. The logo looks like no other, not even close. Nobody elese ever noticed the old one was "all white". It isn't a relevant aspect of the logo. Georgia is the Bulldogs because Yale folks founded the school. They have another Bulldogs (Miss State in the SEC). How many Tigers are there...just in the SEC alone (3)? Then Clemson, Memphis... Baylor and Cal coexist. Wyoming and OK State. Duke Blue Devils and DePaul Blue Demons (why blue?) survive. Villanova, K-State and even UNH.

UConn is now and will always be the primary Husky brand (beyond Washington and certainly beyond the 40 or so people outside of New England that even know the mascot at NorthEastern). The reason is the nickname of the school. UConn=Yukon, the land of Huskies. It is the greatest nickname and mascot combination in college sports. "UConn Huskies" just works splendidly as a phrase. That the husky logo now actually looks like a husky can only help, as will our new emphasis on "UCONN". There's a reason Washington uses the block W as primary (nick name is UDub by the way), the huskies mascot/logo is irrelevant to their image. There is no liklihood of confusion. Our logo will soon be instantly recognizable as UConn.

Reaction Score
Just FYI - here's a list of other colleges in North America that use a Husky mascot:

Washington
Northeastern
Northern Illinois
Bloomsburg
St. Cloud State
Southern Maine
Houston Baptist
Michigan Tech
Wisconsin-Marathon County

(Canada)
Saint Mary's University (Halifax)
George Brown College (Toronto)
University of Saskatchewan

You be the judge of whether or not we need an all-white husky to make UConn unique from these schools.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Then why are we stealing one of those schools logos?
3ugu9a7a.jpg

Houston Baptist

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Just FYI - here's a list of other colleges in North America that use a Husky mascot:

Washington
Northeastern
Northern Illinois
Bloomsburg
St. Cloud State
Southern Maine
Houston Baptist
Michigan Tech
Wisconsin-Marathon County

(Canada)
Saint Mary's University (Halifax)
George Brown College (Toronto)
University of Saskatchewan

You be the judge of whether or not we need an all-white husky to make UConn unique from these schools.

I judge that it is obvious that we do not need an all-white husky to stand out, since all of those schools except Washington are completely irrelevant in the college sports marketing world, and Washington has continued to de-emphasize the Husky, probably because they know that "Huskies" is so closely associated with UConn.

If you asked random people across the country to play word association and said the word "Huskies" I have no doubt that the number one association would be "UConn". Ttry that with bears and you will not get Cal, you will get Chicago. Tigers could be LSU, Detroit or several others. Cowboys will be Dallas, not OK state. Therefore, in my opinion anything that looks more obviously like a husky will be more closely associated with UConn, especially if it is in our colors.

Reaction Score
Personally I liked the script "UConn" on the helmets, only I'd rather it be a blue helmet with white script. If a logo was on the helmet I'd prefer any Husky logo be a profile view, example:
http://vecto.rs/design/vector-of-a-grinning-cartoon-husky-dog-growling-by-chromaco-1998

A paw print wouldn't be bad either as long as it's distinctive from other print helmets such as Clemson. Cal did a good job with the bear print years ago.

Reaction Score
Type "husky" into Google Images. Go ahead. Do it.

95% of the results are the dogs with the "toupee" you so lovingly despise. I'm sorry nature didn't work out the way you wanted it. But by and large, that's what Huskies look like.
All I can tell you is that came from the very page YOU linked as showing what Huskies look like. Fact of the matter is that huskies come in a fairly wide variety of looks if you will. there are several varieties that are black and white, black and brown, brown and white, red and white, all white, and I believe there are also all black or brown, though those are fairly rare. Donald the Toupee dog both violates the tradition of an all white husky, of which there are many per the site you linked, and it is crappy clip art that looks like someone drew a toupee on it. And look at the real life Jonathan next time you are at a game. He's white.as have been his predecessors since 1935. He's a Husky. He doesn't wear an ill-fitting toupee. Hence, the new logo can't be a representation of Jonathan. Since the new logo is clearly not Jonathan, I've chosen to re-name him Donald. He represents corporate greed, and has bad hair. Jonathan was named for a Revolutionary War governor and hero. Donald is named for...well you can guess. But if you're wrong, you're fired! ;)

Reaction Score
The real-life Jonathan is a white Husky. The previous logo is a Samoyed. The new logo is a Husky.

Therefore you can make the argument that the new logo is a better representation of the real-life Jonathan husky dog.

There, we're done.

Reaction Score
The real-life Jonathan is a white Husky. The previous logo is a Samoyed. The new logo is a Husky.

Therefore you can make the argument that the new logo is a better representative of the real-life Jonathan husky dog.
The real life Huskies dating back to 1935 have been all white. all the Husky logos dating back to at least 1959 have been all white. UConn expressly looks for a white Husky when it gets a new mascot. The new logo is either a Husky, a wolf, maybe a bad version of a German Shepard. And it has a toupee. It is Donald, not Jonathan.

Reaction Score
The real life Huskies dating back to 1935 have been all white. all the Husky logos dating back to at least 1959 have been all white. UConn expressly looks for a white Husky when it gets a new mascot. The new logo is either a Husky, a wolf, maybe a bad version of a German Shepard. And it has a toupee. It is Donald, not Jonathan.

the new one's still a better representation than the old one...

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
All I can tell you is that came from the very page YOU linked as showing what Huskies look like. Fact of the matter is that huskies come in a fairly wide variety of looks if you will. there are several varieties that are black and white, black and brown, brown and white, red and white, all white, and I believe there are also all black or brown, though those are fairly rare. Donald the Toupee dog both violates the tradition of an all white husky, of which there are many per the site you linked, and it is crappy clip art that looks like someone drew a toupee on it. And look at the real life Jonathan next time you are at a game. He's white.as have been his predecessors since 1935. He's a Husky. He doesn't wear an ill-fitting toupee. Hence, the new logo can't be a representation of Jonathan. Since the new logo is clearly not Jonathan, I've chosen to re-name him Donald. He represents corporate greed, and has bad hair. Jonathan was named for a Revolutionary War governor and hero. Donald is named for...well you can guess. But if you're wrong, you're fired! ;)

Look, I understand some people want it to be white. Calling it it crappy clip art however is just ignorant. There is no toupee, its fur coat has traditional husky markings that allow the logo to better incoporate our primary colors of national flag blue and white. I'd rather get rid of the real dog than go to an all white logo.

Do you really think these people are idiots? Read this critique of the truly crappy Carolina Panthers logo, from the guy who just drew ours. He clearly knows what he's doing.

Here's the discussion of our new logo, and some of Fraser's original art, which either Nike or UConn changed. Subtle differences. I think I like the original art better. Definitely should have kept the nostrils. I do like the light blue eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom