New UCONN logo. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New UCONN logo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I actually like it. Looks nice and it's about time they went with just UCONN as the identifier for the school. Here at USC (where i currently work) they went through a similar change/update of the Moniker and I know that the change took 3 years to plan and implement.
Were you working at University of South Carolina when we beat them in the Papa John's bowl?

Reaction Score
I like the idea of a full on adoption of the UConn moniker, but I don't like the capitalization. The wordmark is a full caps "UCONN" but when it is written it is "UConn." That's just going to lead to confusion, primarily writers using all caps which is painful to look at if you see it more than a few times in a written document.

Reaction Score
I like the idea of a full on adoption of the UConn moniker, but I don't like the capitalization. The wordmark is a full caps "UCONN" but when it is written it is "UConn." That's just going to lead to confusion, primarily writers using all caps which is painful to look at if you see it more than a few times in a written document.

I don't see what's so hard. Use all caps "UCONN" when using it as a logo. Use "UConn" when writing about the school in journalism...

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
First of all I am very happy that there's going to be one consistent look across sports. I'm of two minds on using the block font for non-athletics purposes (for example, on stationary to high school kids, alumni, as the look for different departments and programs). This is from the last re-design:
uconnlogo1.gif

... and it even has UCONN in caps as will be done with the block font going forward. I do think the consistency of "UCONN/UConn" as a brand for the university is great (and I get the pro-"Connecticut"argument, but half the people outside of the northeast probably couldn't point to Connecticut on a map or spell it correctly). But I would have been fine with keeping a separate font like the one above for non-athletics purposes, I think having a separation between the two is something people would recognize. Maybe they did some market research that suggests otherwise. I'm ambivalent about the oak leaf symbol, but it's probably better than using the state seal.

Reaction Score
Were you working at University of South Carolina when we beat them in the Papa John's bowl?
I should have clarified:

I work at the University of Southern California!!!!

Reaction Score
Randy Edsall wanted to get rid of UConn and change everything to Connecticut.

Reaction Score
Randy Edsall wanted to get rid of UConn and change everything to Connecticut.

I may be in the minority, but I liked that idea. Use "Connecticut" in more formal introdutions ... use "UCONN" in more informal situations. You don't see Alabama trying to rebrand as 'BAMA.

"Welcome to the BCS Championship game between Alabama and Connecticut ..."

"UCONN HAS DONE IT AGAIN!!! BACK TO BACK BCS TITLES!!!"

See how easy that was ... forced branding usually doesn't work.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Maybe we are going strictly to UConn because people without ties to this state don't know how to spell Connecticut.

Reaction Score
Looks like the back end of Today.uconn.edu is dead, any blog entry you try to go to from the front page ends up in a 404

Reaction Score
I loved walking into the Fiesta Bowl and seeing the end zones painted OKLAHOMA and UCONN. That's who we are to the world. It's Cal Berkeley----Cal San Luis Obispo----Cal Santa Cruz---but not Cal-Los Angeles.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I should have clarified:

I work at the University of Southern California!!!!

Perfect example of why branding matters.

Reaction Score
Hmmm... click on link and "can't find website" today. Go to today.uconn.edu and it's gone? Wonder why they took it down?

In any respect - here's a video on new technology on UConn campus where the logo video came from.

Servers were down. That's all. Web server is back up, at least.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I may be in the minority, but I liked that idea. Use "Connecticut" in more formal introdutions ... use "UCONN" in more informal situations. You don't see Alabama trying to rebrand as 'BAMA.

"Welcome to the BCS Championship game between Alabama and Connecticut ..."

"UCONN HAS DONE IT AGAIN!!! BACK TO BACK BCS TITLES!!!"

See how easy that was ... forced branding usually doesn't work.

Informal and formal brands??? That's making things way too confusing. People will still call us connecticut but our brand is UCONN. Perhaps Alabama doesn't use Bama but how about CAL, UCLA, USC, UMASS, UNC, LSU, PITT, Penn, SMU, VCU, etc? All solid recognizable brands.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I think Penn State/Pennsylvania State and UConn/Connecticut are the best parallels.

Nobody says anything but Penn State and nobody ever questions or doesn't know where they went.

For awhile I used to not know what to say when somebody asked where I went to school (outside of CT), but UConn was always my go to.

Figuring, if they didn't know UConn academically they were probably an idiot and if they didn't know UConn athletically, I probably wouldn't want to be friends with them anyway!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I think Penn State/Pennsylvania State and UConn/Connecticut are the best parallels.

Nobody says anything but Penn State and nobody ever questions or doesn't know where they went.

For awhile I used to not know what to say when somebody asked where I went to school (outside of CT), but UConn was always my go to.

Figuring, if they didn't know UConn academically they were probably an idiot and if they didn't know UConn athletically, I probably wouldn't want to be friends with them anyway!
This is exactly it and I personally believe that Penn St's branding was the model that was followed.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
99.9% of people outside of South Carolina would have thought USC was southern cal.

I wasn't clear enough. It's ridiculous for South Carolina to refer to themselves as USC when as you say, everyone else thinks SoCal.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I wasn't clear enough. It's ridiculous for South Carolina to refer to themselves as USC when as you say, everyone else thinks SoCal.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

They hope football recruits mistake So Car for So Cal....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom