New UCONN logo. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

New UCONN logo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Haven't read thru this thread in a while so I hope nobody else posted this link: http://news.sportslogos.net/2013/03/14/uconn-logo-too-friendly-tougher-one-on-the-way/
If I were a bettin man something tells me we are going to see football helmets with a husky on it instead of the familiar block C or 'UConn' on the side. 9 days til it finally gets revealed.

According to the link above the logo will be similar to this

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/288/Quebec_Nordiques/1996/Unused_Logo

But with a much higher design and a little less aggressive... I like!

Reaction Score
wish we could get some leaks of the re-design somewhere...

Almost always, in this internet/cell phone camera age, things are leaked before they are official. Im very surprised that we haven't seen anything, and were only about a week from the official release. Unusual.

Reaction Score
Almost always, in this internet/cell phone camera age, things are leaked before they are official.

You're right. That's what made all the suspense prior to the disclosure of the new Pope's identity so riveting. No one leaked it. And you can bet some enterprising journalist was trying to scoop the world.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Everyone pn the whole friggin planet knows us as UConn. I have never said I graduated from The University of Connecticut. And if you're asked and say Connecticut they ask what school in Connecticut.
Like the logo. But then I love the men's BB UNEYS, which this looks like.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Throw in Mississippi - they go by Ole Miss.

The definitely do, as a primary logo. And while Alabama doesn't seem to use "Bama" on merchandise, they sure as hell abbreviate "Crimson Tide" and use "Roll Tide" all the time. Hell, it's their damned website. Just like ours is UConnHuskies.com, not Connecticuthuskies.com.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
They can't fudge up the dog logo, right?

Reaction Score
Informal and formal brands??? That's making things way too confusing. People will still call us connecticut but our brand is UCONN. Perhaps Alabama doesn't use Bama but how about CAL, UCLA, USC, UMASS, UNC, LSU, PITT, Penn, SMU, VCU, etc? All solid recognizable brands.

Actually, Federal Express did this with Fed Ex. It is one of the most successful brands on the planet. Do you say COKE or Coca-Cola? Rather than confusing people, using both Connecticut and UConn is just institutionalizing the way people already use the name.

Reaction Score
Actually, Federal Express did this with Fed Ex. It is one of the most successful brands on the planet. Do you say COKE or Coca-Cola? Rather than confusing people, using both Connecticut and UConn is just institutionalizing the way people already use the name.
Good examples.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Didn't they shorten them and make them more informal just like we are doing or do they still promote both with equal zeal? Not familiar enough with either brand strategy to know.

Reaction Score
Not sure if this was discussed but showcasing the new logo during tonight's nation championship game would be smart

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not sure if this was discussed but showcasing the new logo during tonight's nation championship game would be smart
I think they've got a careful plan to keep us in the news. A week or so ago the new "wordmark," championship game last night (not that that was a sure thing), ground breaking on the 16th, new logo on the 18th. I get the feeling that we are (finally) getting smarter about our self promotion.

Reaction Score
Nike and Cal:

http://blog.pac-12.com/cal-introduces-new-logo-visual-identity/

"Athletic director Sandy Barbour ushered in a new era for Cal athletics Wednesday as the university unveiled a new supplemental logo and visual identity in a press conference at the school.
All 27 athletic programs will feature new lettering and numerals on their uniforms, and most of the unis also will sport a new bear logo."

calbear-533x300.jpg

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Like it! Between OSU, Cal, and Georgia, I'm starting to get excited about how our new logo will look.

Reaction Score
Nike and Cal:

http://blog.pac-12.com/cal-introduces-new-logo-visual-identity/

"Athletic director Sandy Barbour ushered in a new era for Cal athletics Wednesday as the university unveiled a new supplemental logo and visual identity in a press conference at the school.
All 27 athletic programs will feature new lettering and numerals on their uniforms, and most of the unis also will sport a new bear logo."

calbear-533x300.jpg
Our logo is going to look a lot like this just with a Husky instead of a Bear, I like it.

Reaction Score
Our logo is going to look a lot like this just with a Husky instead of a Bear, I like it.

I'm warming up to this concept too... seems to be the fad in college sports rebranding nowadays... Looking fwd to April 18...

Reaction Score
The three Nike schools mentioned all have a primary and secondary logo (Georgia - power G + bulldog; California - Cal + Bear; Oregon State - OS + Beaver) - wonder if it will be the same for UConn - or is the UCONN wordmark the alternate logo?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I don't care for the new Cal bear logo. The bear is in aggressive mid-stride, that's OK, but since it's a two dimensional logo from straight on, and the head is hunched down, it doesn't translate the power and aggression. If they had done the logo from a 3/4 angle or from the side it might play off better.

/2¢

Reaction Score
The three Nike schools mentioned all have a primary and secondary logo (Georgia - power G + bulldog; California - Cal + Bear; Oregon State - OS + Beaver) - wonder if it will be the same for UConn - or is the UCONN wordmark the alternate logo?
No secondary besides the UCONN wordmark that was released last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom