New UCONN logo. | Page 7 | The Boneyard

New UCONN logo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The man who created all the confusion...

"Larry Wasiele was educated at the Westminster School and the Rhode Island School of Design. Currently residing in Storrs, Connecticut with his wife, Waisele is recognized as the creator of the University of Connecticut Husky logo located in Gampel Pavilion, his sculpture of “Jonathan” the husky, as well as being a prominent animal artist.

Wasiele possesses a colorful history as the famous Illustrator Norman Rockwell assisted Wasiele into art school with a personal letter of recommendation. Since Rockwell’s passing, Wasiele has maintained close relations with Rockwell’s wife, Molly, and has aided in fund raising for the Norman Rockwell Museum at Stockbridge."

He was associated with Norman Rockwell and couldn't get a husky right.

Reaction Score
OK. Its obvious that you don't like it...but what are you accomplishing by complaining about it so much ??? Every friggin thread has you whining about "donald". What good is that doing anything ??

We get it. You don't like it. Its enough already.

The response has been mostly positive. Of course, the people who don't like it are most vocal about it. That's the way things work. If you get a crappy taco from Taco Bell, you will say something (You personally will talk about it for months apparently) - But if your taco is good, you go on about your day enjoying the memory of a decent meal, without saying anything.

Nike did a much better job on ours than Oregon State, or Cal. Those 2 fan bases seem to like ours quite a bit. I think that its pretty darn good considering i'm not sure i've ever seen a better looking Husky logo. Maybe it just isn't an easy animal from which to make a logo....i don't know.

And the All white version someone made looks like a bald 80 year old Husky (no offense to the creator, but i like ours much better).

Years ago, no one associated our previous logo's with UCONN, and eventually they did. That will happen again. It always does. And if you're right, and everyone hates it like you, then it will change it again. No matter how it happens, the majority will like it, or it won't last long.

But the complaining just doesn't help anything.
And if your taco or Husky sucks everyday, you may stay away everyday. That is the obvious downside to this boondoggle. The new loog will draw minimally new fans, but will alienate large numbers of the key fans, the alumni.

Reaction Score
I think the UConn people behind the scenes loved it. This is nothing like any crappy clip-art and you constantly saying it doesn't make it so. It is very well done and an outstanding logo. Nobody challenged Nike because they gave us a superior logo, one that has fans of other teams envious. When you get a fantastic logo, there is really little to complain about. That is what we now have. I am sure it will be prominently featured on the t-shirt you wear to the grave.

I cna't wait for the new merchandise to fly off the shelves and end your absurd theories. If there was a way to pry the little patches from my current UConn Huskies Tervis Tumblers and replace them with the new one I would.
It's a piece of crap that looks like someone did it in the span of 5-10 minutes. Absolutely no attempt whatsoever to try and tie in to the tradition of Jonathan. Do you think Harry Hartley would ever have signed off on this garbage? What we have here are a few individuals who are using UConn as a stepping stone to their next jobs. All they are interested in doing is leaving their marks on their jobs. It doesn't matter if it makes sense or anything else, it is change for the sake of change and so someone can puff their chests and say, "Look what I did". It happens in the corporate world all the time. Then after 3-5 years they leave for greener pastures and go screw up some other operation.

Reaction Score
My guess is at the end of the day the real motivation fo r this is it is not overly detailed and is probably easy, simple really, to reproduce whereas the old logo was fairly complex. Much like the Patriots motivation for replacing Pat with Elvis, they wanted something easy and cheap to produce. I'm not sure how anyone can look at this and not feel that it has a clipart quality. though one could argue that even clipart has a little more quality...but slap on the toupee and there you go.

1060943-Royalty-Free-Vector-Clip-Art-Illustration-Of-A-Black-And-White-Husky-Dog-Face.jpg
stock-vector-wolf-dog-symbol-vector-127479689.jpg

I can easily see one of these being used as the baseline for Donald.
I really like the one on the left.

Reaction Score
My guess is at the end of the day the real motivation fo r this is it is not overly detailed and is probably easy, simple really, to reproduce whereas the old logo was fairly complex. Much like the Patriots motivation for replacing Pat with Elvis, they wanted something easy and cheap to produce. I'm not sure how anyone can look at this and not feel that it has a clipart quality. though one could argue that even clipart has a little more quality...but slap on the toupee and there you go.

1060943-Royalty-Free-Vector-Clip-Art-Illustration-Of-A-Black-And-White-Husky-Dog-Face.jpg
stock-vector-wolf-dog-symbol-vector-127479689.jpg

I can easily see one of these being used as the baseline for Donald.
I really like the one on the left (the furry one).

Reaction Score
And if your taco or Husky sucks everyday, you may stay away everyday. That is the obvious downside to this boondoggle. The new loog will draw minimally new fans, but will alienate large numbers of the key fans, the alumni.

What study generated that conclusion ? Or is it just your opinion as a person who doesn't like it.

I would propose the opposite. Its a great looking logo, and it will double.....nay TRIPLE our fanbase.

See how ridiculous that sounds ?

We won't know a concrete answer until years from now, but as for right now, like i said, those who don't like it seem to be the vocal minority.

And, if i dont like a taco...i go to a different taco joint. You are welcome to become part of a different fanbase. I hear Washington has a lovely dog logo. But i really doubt that many will do that because they don't care for the dog. Its a very very small part of the athletics department, and university.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
And if your taco or Husky sucks everyday, you may stay away everyday.

But Uconn isn't a restaurant. It's my alma mater and I'm a die hard fan regardless of what the logo looks like. The more appropriate analogy would be that you stopped eating tacos at Taco Bell even though they made your favorite taco because they changed the sign on the restaurant or stopped using the "yo quiero Taco Bell chihuahua in their commercial. No one is going to stop going to UCONN games because we changed the sign on the door.

Reaction Score
Here's our logofrom a google clip art. Actually I think this one is better. But to somehow say Donald is some terrific job I just don't get. It is a generic, clipart type logo. I've googled Husky clipart and found 50 (don't worry I won't paste them all) front facing dogs that are comparable or better quality than the new UConn logo. Interesting note is that about half of them also come up if you google free wolf clip art. Good thing Nike did this for free, because if they charged for it they'd have been stealing.
0512-0711-1512-1527.jpg

Isn't this the official logo of Coon and Friends?

Reaction Score
It's a piece of crap that looks like someone did it in the span of 5-10 minutes.

You are truly deluded if you think that logo took 5 minutes. You're the kinda guy who ts over other people's work and thinks everybody else's job is easy, don't you? I can tell by the way that you have no idea what kind of work goes into making a logo for a large educational institution.

Reaction Score
-- “This logo is everything that a Husky is supposed to be — powerful, aggressive, determined. It is looking right through you and saying ‘Do not mess with me,’ ” said women’s basketball head coach Geno Auriemma. “This is a streamlined, fighting dog and I cannot wait for it to be on our uniforms and court.” --

-- “I absolutely love this new Husky Dog logo,” said head men’s basketball coach Kevin Ollie. “It looks fantastic on our uniforms and I know that our fans will love it as much as we do. Our new identity is a look that I know I will be proud to wear.” --

The coaches like it (or do you think they're just selling out with lip service?), the student athletes like it, potential future recruits will probably like it. Better for us in the long run.

Lack of detail in a logo doesn't make it clip art nor a cheap, lazy knock-off. The endless bashing is unreal.

Reaction Score
I loved the old logo. I can live with the new logo. I want the on field/on court and off field performance of the university to drive the recognition of our brand. Symbols and brandmarks are important, but the substance of your programs/product are the ultimate driver. This year's on field performance for football and mens and women's basketball can set us up as a program that can't be ignored in the final realignment scenarios. If we continue to limp along without improvement, our brand will be associated with what outsiders currently believe about us ( i.e. Basketball school that ins't serious about football). Hope this is the year we turn this around. I don't share the view of some that want PP to continue to fail so he gets fired. I want him to succeed and build a strong program and continue to address shortcomings.

Reaction Score
For those who think it looks like clip art - Don't you realize that logos need to be free of complicated design in order to be efficiently reproduced on a variety of materials and surfaces?

And, for what it's worth, I showed the new logo to a U Washington fan and his immediate response: "It's way better than your old logo."

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Did freescooter design the prior Jonathan logo? Is that why he hates the new one so much?

Reaction Score
But Uconn isn't a restaurant. It's my alma mater and I'm a die hard fan regardless of what the logo looks like. The more appropriate analogy would be that you stopped eating tacos at Taco Bell even though they made your favorite taco because they changed the sign on the restaurant or stopped using the "yo quiero Taco Bell chihuahua in their commercial. No one is going to stop going to UCONN games because we changed the sign on the door.
The point is if people are coming in the door why change it. By the way check out this item in the Courant today: http://www.courant.com/sports/hc-vote-which-uconn-logo-do-you-like-best-20130417,0,654211,post.poll

Reaction Score
You are truly deluded if you think that logo took 5 minutes. You're the kinda guy who ts over other people's work and thinks everybody else's job is easy, don't you? I can tell by the way that you have no idea what kind of work goes into making a logo for a large educational institution.
Amazing the ability you have to analyze someone's knowledge of something. I went to graduate school at the University of Tennessee for Advertising and I have a lot of knowledge about what goes int designing logos. I also find it interesting how you are so sure most people like the new logo. Perhaps you can explain the results of this poll in today's Courant: http://www.courant.com/sports/hc-vote-which-uconn-logo-do-you-like-best-20130417,0,654211,post.poll

Reaction Score
The point is if people are coming in the door why change it. By the way check out this item in the Courant today: http://www.courant.com/sports/hc-vote-which-uconn-logo-do-you-like-best-20130417,0,654211,post.poll

People aren't coming in the door. Attendance is declining, even with successful teams like the '11 NCAA Basketball Champions. You can't just ignore the problem and hope it goes away or just blame it all on the recession or kids leaving Connecticut. We still have a large suburban population in Connecticut and we still need to put butts in the seat.

Reaction Score
Amazing the ability you have to analyze someone's knowledge of something. I went to graduate school at the University of Tennessee for Advertising and I have a lot of knowledge about what goes int designing logos. I also find it interesting how you are so sure most people like the new logo. Perhaps you can explain the results of this poll in today's Courant: http://www.courant.com/sports/hc-vote-which-uconn-logo-do-you-like-best-20130417,0,654211,post.poll

Whoa, a sample size of almost 3,000 people on the Internet. And if an Internet poll isn't proof, then what is?!

Furthermore, I don't care where you went to school, because the idea that you thought this logo apparently took 5 minutes and is worthless tells me that you apparently overpaid for your education. And advertising doesn't make you an expert in logo design anymore than farming makes you an expert in cooking.

Reaction Score
Whoa, a sample size of almost 3,000 people on the Internet. And if an Internet poll isn't proof, then what is?!
What do you base your feeling that most people like the new logo? Most of what I have heard and read seems to reflect the opposite. Of course, you have cold hard facts to back up your opinion right?

Reaction Score
What do you base your feeling that most people like the new logo? Most of what I have heard and read seems to reflect the opposite. Of course, you have cold hard facts to back up your opinion right?

I never said most people like the new logo. I said you were full of when you claimed it was a half-baked logo that took 5 minutes to design.

This is Connecticut. We fear change. It took us how many decades to sell alcohol on Sundays? Give it 5 years and nobody will miss Happy Fluffy Husky Dog.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Some hard core traditionalists don't like the new logo....the same people who read the Hartford Courant online. Those fans who have an emotional attachment to the logo are not going to stop following UConn if the logo changes.

All non partial observers have told me that the puppy dog with the tongue hanging out was lame and that UConn needed a change. They also have told me the new logo is MUCH better.

I am willing to wager that 90% of recruits prefer the new logo.

Bottom line...UConn won't lose 1 fan with the new logo...but the new one may help in recruting and win over some new fans. And if you don't think recruits care about his stuff you are wrong.

Reaction Score
People aren't coming in the door. Attendance is declining, even with successful teams like the '11 NCAA Basketball Champions. You can't just ignore the problem and hope it goes away or just blame it all on the recession or kids leaving Connecticut. We still have a large suburban population in Connecticut and we still need to put butts in the seat.
The team was on probation and the economy is bad. That has a lot to do with it. I'm sure with this new mascot we will fill the arena twice over. Give me a break.

Reaction Score

Furthermore, I don't care where you went to school, because the idea that you thought this logo apparently took 5 minutes and is worthless tells me that you apparently overpaid for your education. And advertising doesn't make you an expert in logo design anymore than farming makes you an expert in cooking.
It does make me knowledgeable in market research, focus groups, polling, etc. It also makes me aware that if you have a logo with good recognition that most people like, you have a valuable corporate asset and you protect it, you don't abandon it.

Reaction Score
The team was on probation and the economy is bad. That has a lot to do with it. I'm sure with this new mascot we will fill the arena twice over. Give me a break.

No, I'm talking about 2011, when we won a National Championship and we still can't sell out games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom