New PAC-12 Forming | Page 33 | The Boneyard

New PAC-12 Forming

Reaction Score
Given how much talk there has been recently about how NIL in football has evened the playing field for them, this is kind of expected.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Publicly saying no through the Courant is kind of strange no? Why even say anything?
They don’t have to comment on it all. This way they can get it out there that we turned them down. Not the other way around. It’s likely targeted message at the Big 12 and the ACC schools more than anything else

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Or the offered an SMU type deal.
That’s also possible that it was a crap deal. Whatever it was, it wasn’t worth it for us since our goal is full time in one of the power conferences

Hondo 77

The voice of reason
Reaction Score

IMG_4018.jpeg

Reaction Score
I hope that means we got some good news from the B12
I hope this means we are still talking to the B12. If B12 doesn't want UConn football until 2031, what's the point not joining the PAC-12 as a football only until then?

There are definite benefits joining the conference and get to play some opponents regularly. Maybe the cost of buying out games already scheduled for the next few years outweigh the cost of joining just for a few years.

Reaction Score
"Though the possibility of UConn joining the Pac-12 as a football-only complement was explored last week, this will not happen. UConn sources, requesting anonymity, told The Courant the university doesn’t consider this the right fit at this time".

That's because they are still talking to the Big 12 (per Flugaur). Maybe things are getting closer.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don’t think we need to do much parsing of the situation to understand why the flagship of a state where you can dip your toes in the Atlantic Ocean might not consider the Pacific Athletic Conference to be the ‘best fit.’

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I don’t think we need to do much parsing of the situation to understand why the flagship of a state where you can dip your toes in the Atlantic Ocean might not consider the Pacific Athletic Conference to be the ‘best fit.’

It's 4 flights a year for the football team.

Only way they turned this down is if the terms were awful. Not buying "fit" in of itself as a valid excuse.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
If there isn't another announcement sometime this month about positive progress in accepting an invite into a conference, then this news of turning down a possible move to the PAC is mindblowingly stupid. I was a UConn BBall fan before becoming a general UConn sports fan, and I would leave the BE in a heartbeat if it meant our survival. This news is nucking futs.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's 4 flights a year for the football team.

Only way they turned this down is if the terms were awful. Not buying "fit" in of itself as a valid
If you think the logistics here is just "four flights", you have no idea how a football program operates.

Reaction Score
Also this:

Sacramento State's Pac-12 committee raises $35 million for NIL funds

Sacramento State is ramping up its quest to land an invite to the Pac-12 Conference.

Five days ago, the school announced plans for a new multi-use football stadium. The Sac12 executive committee announced Monday afternoon it has sourced $35 million in NIL funds from local businesses, community leaders and a local tribe in the last 24 hours.

The committee announced its goal is to raise a $50 million NIL war chest. The Sac12 executive group launched shortly after the Pac-12 added Boise State, Fresno State, San Diego State, and Colorado State.

Nobody actually believes this is true.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom