New PAC-12 Forming | Page 34 | The Boneyard

New PAC-12 Forming

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

It would be interesting to know whether a deal was expressly on the table and what it terms were. if it was the same offer as other teams hinted at, which is pretty much join us and will keep all the money, it was wise to turn down.

On the other hand, if we had an informal understanding with the big 12, as the Flug hinted at, then it would make no sense to involve ourselves with the PAC-2.
Think About It GIF by Identity

Reaction Score
I don’t think we need to do much parsing of the situation to understand why the flagship of a state where you can dip your toes in the Atlantic Ocean might not consider the Pacific Athletic Conference to be the ‘best fit.’
Tell Cal that

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The 2 most logical reasons for us turning the PAC12 down for football only are:

1 - the deal sucked (either from a money, exposure, scheduling perspective or all of the above)

2 - we are more advanced in our discussions with the Big12 (or ACC) than we are aware of.

Let's hope it's the latter...

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
It would be interesting to know whether a deal was expressly on the table and what it terms were. if it was the same offer as other teams hinted at, which is pretty much join us and will keep all the money, it was wise to turn down.

On the other hand, if we had an informal understanding with the big 12, as the Flug hinted at, then it would make no sense to involve ourselves with the PAC-2.
Think About It GIF by Identity

1 - the deal sucked (either from a money, exposure, scheduling perspective or all of the above)

2 - we are more advanced in our discussions with the Big12 (or ACC) than we are aware of.

My delusional mind believes it’s the latter. There’s no hope for the weary

Reaction Score
The other possibility is the wanted a long term commitment which would hav precluded us fron taking another deal. There is also the pr component. If the PAC relaunch had gone smoothly, it is different than the cluster that it has been. No guarantee they will even get to the minimum # of members. And I’m not sure we want to travel to the west coast to play Sacramento State.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
The other possibility is the wanted a long term commitment which would hav precluded us fron taking another deal. There is also the pr component. If the PAC relaunch had gone smoothly, it is different than the cluster that it has been. No guarantee they will even get to the minimum # of members. And I’m not sure we want to travel to the west coast to play Sacramento State.
Your first sentence would seem to go in the "crappy deal" column.

Reaction Score
I Think the Pac-12 Circles Back & Goes After Teams in the American Conference | Brett McMurphy

He thinks the Pac will go after Memphis again.

I'll have to view it later.

I was thinking a few AAC programs said no to PAC and Texas St of the Sun Belt said no to the MWC. It really seems PAC and MWC should just merge after all this. Not sure any programs from the AAC or Sun Belt would want to travel to west coast for many of their games.

McMurphy claiming that everyone said he was wrong about Gonzaga. People said there was no deal in place between PAC and Zags but agreed that it was possible very soon.

Reaction Score
I'll have to view it later.

I was thinking a few AAC programs said no to PAC and Texas St of the Sun Belt said no to the MWC. It really seems PAC and MWC should just merge after all this. Not sure any programs from the AAC or Sun Belt would want to travel to west coast for many of their games.

McMurphy claiming that everyone said he was wrong about Gonzaga. People said there was no deal in place between PAC and Zags but agreed that it was possible very soon.
At the end, McMurphy says that the Big 12 is not sorry that they didn't get the Zags and they don't want Gonzaga or UConn right now, but that could change, who knows.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Now that I've settled a bit from today's CR whirlwind, I came across this week old Reddit post as it related to the UConn-Pac rumor:

"Hartford Connecticut is closer to most of the Pac schools than Hawaii. So, why the hell not."

It's a moot point now, but somehow Hawaii made their football trips to the MWC work without going completely bankrupt. Guess we shouldn't expect any home and away football agreements with this new PAC based on today's headlines.

Reaction Score
The MWC could add Hawaii as an all-sports member (they are currently football only). If Hawaii was an all-sports member, the MWC would have the minimum number of full members needed to be a conference.

If Texas State turned down the MWC, I wonder how serious the Texas State/PAC 12 conversations are right now?

Reaction Score

It could be both. If there was an offer for football only membership, I would really like to know what the terms were as usual. It seems like the PAC is out there trying to recruit programs without knowing exactly what it will be able to offer financially. I think many are overestimating the media revenue.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If you think the logistics here is just "four flights", you have no idea how a football program operates.

Expand upon that. What else does it entail?

I don't think it affects our recruiting footprint, we're still going to play 8 games a year in our traditional region.

Games at weird times? SUNJ plays USC at 11pm est in a few weeks.

We'd get an actual schedule, a consistent schedule, and access to the CFP. I don't see a downside, unless there is a long GOR.

Reaction Score
The MWC could add Hawaii as an all-sports member (they are currently football only). If Hawaii was an all-sports member, the MWC would have the minimum number of full members needed to be a conference.

If Texas State turned down the MWC, I wonder how serious the Texas State/PAC 12 conversations are right now?
The MWC is not adding Hawaii. Travel is awful.

Reaction Score
What is interesting about the Pac 12 and MWC conference shuffles is that it may create more opportunity for UConn to schedule football games as an independent. Washington St. and Oregon St. are going from a 9 game conference schedule in the Pac 12 to potentially a 7 game schedule. And the defectors to the Pac 12 and MWC as well as the remaining members of the MWC could be going from an 8 game conference schedule down to a 7 game conference schedule.

Reaction Score
Fit would include money, too right?
Yep as I also posted last week in a different thread, " show me the money" if the PAC is scrambling for members with all the current no's from AAC schools. Uconn's future schedules doesn't mean the new PAC-12 has all the leverage. The Indy schedule is more than fine.... Uconn doesn't need to beg in this scenario, like in it's CR past. This needs to be a calculated leverage play by AD DB this time around as he still can play it off as he's holding some of the cards. ( which he is.... and also since Yormark loves us ;) ) P.S. a low exit fee should be included too, just in case.

Reaction Score
If the PAC did pull this off, it could be a "next best scenario" for Uconn money wise and also for fit. With the PAC creating an AAC type formation. 11 full schools with Uconn (a FB only) and the Zags (a hoops only). Similar to the set up the AAC had with Navy (FB) and Wichita St (BB) and 12 in each sport. Then Uconn sits in the best non P-4 conferences in both sports until they don't. Not holding my breath but....

Reaction Score
To quote Pink Floyd, "The Dream is gone...I have become Comfortably Dumb."

The fact that I really dont care about Amore's article says it all.

Plus, UConn football TV right might actually be worth almost as much as the P12 rights if you subtract travel from the P12 rights and also the basketball away games (or games) from the UConn ADs finances.

Reaction Score
That was in my original comment - the money or grant rights must have been awful - just to say it's not a fit I don't buy or understand.

Is playing Colorado State any less of a fit than playing Rice?
It doesn't mean the money was awful, just not good enough to outweigh the negatives (and there are lots of negatives to join this conference for football). Saying fit is a smart way of saying no.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom