New PAC-12 Forming | Page 35 | The Boneyard

New PAC-12 Forming

Reaction Score
If the PAC did pull this off, it could be a "next best scenario" for Uconn money wise and also for fit. With the PAC creating an AAC type formation. 11 full schools with Uconn (a FB only) and the Zags (a hoops only). Similar to the set up the AAC had with Navy (FB) and Wichita St (BB) and 12 in each sport. Then Uconn sits in the best non P-4 conferences in both sports until they don't. Not holding my breath but....

This is what I envisioned at the start as well. If they circle back and go after AAC schools again, then this is their ultimate goal. It makes sense to have a national conference just to maximize media revenue, and have more expansion targets in the future if needed.

Reaction Score
Not sure what this is about, but here it is this morning.

Seems like the article is already outdated because the Courant story came out yesterday saying that UConn declined joining the Pac because it isn't a good fit.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
That Daily Campus article is just a re
Seems like the article is already outdated because the Courant story came out yesterday saying that UConn declined joining the Pac because it isn't a good fit.
Agreed. Seems a student writer with just one other UConn football article. Not terribly written, but it's nothing we didn't already know.

Reaction Score
This is what I envisioned at the start as well. If they circle back and go after AAC schools again, then this is their ultimate goal. It makes sense to have a national conference just to maximize media revenue, and have more expansion targets in the future if needed.
This would be good for UConn if the Pac could achieve it. I wonder why UConn sources were so quick to say that they weren't joining the Pac if there is a chance that the Pac could circle back on the AAC schools and get them to join.

The story by Don Amore cited "UConn sources, requesting anonymity, told The Courant the university doesn’t consider this the right fit at this time". Note that nothing was said publicly by David Benedict.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not sure what this is about, but here it is this morning.

Wow. Tyler Purnue or whatever the author's name is, doesn't seem to follow sports at all, or at least he has absolutely no clue about conference realignment.

"In the past, the Huskies struggled to generate success in the American Athletic Conference and exited their contract early." That sentence doesn't mean anything, Tyler.

Then there's this one: "When leaving the AAC early, UConn paid $17 million due to the football team’s poor performance." Uhhh, what?

I get that it's a kid doing the article, but have some personal pride and at least have a vague understanding of what's going on.

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt that the article went to press prior to the release of last nights Hartford Courant article indicating at the school is not interested in joining the PAC-2.

Reaction Score
Uconn should still explore a scheduling alliance with pac schools. Give us 2 fball games, we'll give you 2 bball games. Give us 3 fball games, we'll give you three bball games.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It doesn't mean the money was awful, just not good enough to outweigh the negatives (and there are lots of negatives to join this conference for football). Saying fit is a smart way of saying no.

I'm still curious as to what the perceived negatives are excluding a grant of rights.

We make next to $0 on our current tv deal, have no bowl affiliation, don't have access or representation to the CFP, play a mishmash schedule of teams and dates, have no league title to compete for, and with most leagues increasing conference games were afforded less scheduling opportunities.

Edit: no bowl game affiliations either.

Reaction Score
This would be good for UConn if the Pac could achieve it. I wonder why UConn sources were so quick to say that they weren't joining the Pac ......The Courant the university doesn’t consider this the right fit at this time". Note that nothing was said publicly by David Benedict.
Public negotiation by leaking one parties position out isn't the worse thing. If done by the right people at the right time. Another irony regarding the above set up is that in an alternate reality it could have been San Diego St and Boise St. as FB only(s)....:D

Reaction Score
I'm still curious as to what the perceived negatives are excluding a grant of rights.

We make next to $0 on our current tv deal, have no bowl affiliation, don't have access or representation to the CFP, play a mishmash schedule of teams and dates, have no league title to compete for, and with most leagues increasing conference games were afforded less scheduling opportunities.
Hopefully, we’re going to find out that we have other options. Otherwise, playing football in the Pac 12 makes a lot of sense at this point in time.

Reaction Score
Hopefully, we’re going to find out that we have other options. Otherwise, playing football in the Pac 12 makes a lot of sense at this point in time.

Totally agree. Football independence for UConn is awful, if we turned down the PAC hopefully something better is on the horizon, and hopefully that better horizon isn't the ACC stringing us along for another 10 years.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Edit: no bowl game affiliations either.
I think it is mostly GOR and exit fees. also, though, as things stand now, the value of any PAC -12 media deal is speculative, at best. (For what it's worth we actually make $500,000 on our current TV contract for football.)

Reaction Score
Who knows?

Predictably I didn’t care yesterday when it broke.

If Independence and being strung along by the Big 12 is preferable to what the PAC 12 was offering then what was on the table wasn’t worth it.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I think it is mostly GOR and exit fees. also, though, as things stand now, the value of any PAC -12 media deal is speculative, at best. (For what it's worth we actually make $500,000 on our current TV contract for football.)

I recall the CBS SN deal paying something akin to "upwards" of $100K per home game. I guess since they don't cover the FCS game it's somewhere around the $500K you mention.

Did we ever find out if that deal is going to be renewed?

Reaction Score
I doubt the PAC-12 want to give up the Northern CA market. Sac ST would be a good option. I thought they should have added SJSU if not for the exit fees.
San Jose State is a no brainer one of the easiest places to get to in the MW
better than even San Diego. Thats a consideration for full members.

Reaction Score
I recall the CBS SN deal paying something akin to "upwards" of $100K per home game. I guess since they don't cover the FCS game it's somewhere around the $500K you mention.

Did we ever find out if that deal is going to be renewed?
I knew it was here somewhere;)
Doubtful as the CBSSN deal goes through this year with two separate 2 year extension options where CBSSN also gets the first right of refusal if another offer comes in

Reaction Score
That Daily Campus article is just a re

Agreed. Seems a student writer with just one other UConn football article. Not terribly written, but it's nothing we didn't already know.
It’s pretty terribly written. Some things are just flat out wrong. The PAC-12 poached MW teams, the conferences aren’t “merging." It reads like they are very ill-informed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom