New PAC-12 Forming | Page 31 | The Boneyard

New PAC-12 Forming

Reaction Score
If the new Pac happens for UConn football, potential Texas recruiting access is a reason to hope Texas State is invited. Reason 2: convenient side visits to both Austin and San Antonio.
TexasSt has been invited by the MW, not the PAC.

Reaction Score
TexasSt has been invited by the MW, not the PAC.
Sure, Texas State purportedly has a verbal offer from the new MWC. If factual, perhaps a resulting stronger potential for TXSU to receive an offer from the new PAC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If CR had't been constantly churning for the past decade, what is playing out between the PAC 12 and MWC would seem way too bizarre to be real. We can wait to see what the new PAC will get for a media deal to see how the gambit plays out.

"Never has Texas State been more valuable. Or Toledo. Or UTEP. Or North Dakota State for that matter.

"Who knows as conference realignment rounds the latest crazy turn and heads toward an absurd homestretch. Last week, the American Athletic Conference stood strong. Earlier this month, the Pac-12 raided the Mountain West ... or was it the other way around?

"Either way, the Pac-Whatever and the Mountain West continue to be conferences in name only. Utah State joined San Diego State, Fresno State, Colorado State and Boise State in jumping from the MWC to the Pac-12; Air Force, San Jose State and UNLV opted to stay with the Mountain West. For a moment, UNLV -- 104th in total FBS football viewership since 2016 -- was desired by all of those three conferences. Just not by its starting quarterback.

"Meanwhile, the MWC, using exit fees the Pac-12 paid to snatch its five members, then turned around and used that cash to incentivize the current six full-time members to stay. Things got so heated that UNLV went from being coveted by the Pac-12 to being sued by the Pac-12 in the span of a week."

Reaction Score
If CR had't been constantly churning for the past decade, what is playing out between the PAC 12 and MWC would seem way too bizarre to be real. We can wait to see what the new PAC will get for a media deal to see how the gambit plays out.

"Never has Texas State been more valuable. Or Toledo. Or UTEP. Or North Dakota State for that matter.

"Who knows as conference realignment rounds the latest crazy turn and heads toward an absurd homestretch. Last week, the American Athletic Conference stood strong. Earlier this month, the Pac-12 raided the Mountain West ... or was it the other way around?

"Either way, the Pac-Whatever and the Mountain West continue to be conferences in name only. Utah State joined San Diego State, Fresno State, Colorado State and Boise State in jumping from the MWC to the Pac-12; Air Force, San Jose State and UNLV opted to stay with the Mountain West. For a moment, UNLV -- 104th in total FBS football viewership since 2016 -- was desired by all of those three conferences. Just not by its starting quarterback.

"Meanwhile, the MWC, using exit fees the Pac-12 paid to snatch its five members, then turned around and used that cash to incentivize the current six full-time members to stay. Things got so heated that UNLV went from being coveted by the Pac-12 to being sued by the Pac-12 in the span of a week."

Note the comment at the end by Jim Williams, an Emmy-winning sports media consultant:

"How the hell does Oregon State and Washington feel as if they're entitled to big money?" Williams continued. "[Those leagues] don't have four time zones. They have two time zones where 22% of the country lives".

My comment: Not if they add UConn.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I agree. If we don't get into the B12 or the ACC, we are ok with the Big East and football only on the Pac-12. We will make $12m to $20m per year depending on the Pac-12 football media deal. It is not ideal, but it is better than staying independent.

Their deal will be pretty bad; we've no chance of making even your bottom number.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score

@gwhuskyfan posted his pod with AD Dave in another forum. Not much CR but the question was asked at the beginning about UConn and PAC 12 “being reported in the same sentence.” My take is AD is pouring cold water on that as an option? I mean what he said is pretty ambiguous but that’s just my hunch. Thoughts?

Reaction Score

@gwhuskyfan posted his pod with AD Dave in another forum. Not much CR but the question was asked at the beginning about UConn and PAC 12 “being reported in the same sentence.” My take is AD is pouring cold water on that as an option? I mean what he said is pretty ambiguous but that’s just my hunch. Thoughts?
it sounded to me like Dave said it isn't happening

Reaction Score

I thought the same. Everyone around the program right now is talking about NIL being a game changer and equalizer for football and that seems to be the focus for now. Mike Burton said UConn is #1 or 2 behind Memphis in all the G5 in NIL.

Is it sustainable to stay ahead of our G5 competition like that?

Reaction Score
I thought the same. Everyone around the program right now is talking about NIL being a game changer and equalizer for football and that seems to be the focus for now. Mike Burton said UConn is #1 or 2 behind Memphis in all the G5 in NIL.

Is it sustainable to stay ahead of our G5 competition like that?
I think it would be difficult to sustain NIL and asking donors to contribute more money every year. Wherever each G5 program is ranked in NIL, they are all probably asking the same thing, whether it is sustainable.

Reaction Score
I think it would be difficult to sustain NIL and asking donors to contribute more money every year. Wherever each G5 program is ranked in NIL, they are all probably asking the same thing, whether it is sustainable.
UConn being higher than others probably could be sustainable. Whether or not that's the current number is another. Is the size of CT enough to get over the momentum that a more heavily interested fan base (like Boise State) is going to have? Remains to be seen.

Reaction Score

I just listened to it and I didn't get that impression. I think he just didn't want to say anything. He had a smile on his face (I watched it on you tube) when he said "We're very happy in the Big East" like he knows that's the fake answer that everyone gives.

Reaction Score

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
So does the PAC just forget about geography and go after schools like James Madison or Liberty? Not schools with huge followings but at least they've been good at football lately. Maybe Georgia State or App State? They are quickly running out of options.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
So does the PAC just forget about geography and go after schools like James Madison or Liberty? Not schools with huge followings but at least they've been good at football lately. Maybe Georgia State or App State? They are quickly running out of options.

No.

They just need one school and they won't need to go across the country for one. There's like 200 directional Texas schools if they need one.

Reaction Score
I loved this blurb in the article you quoted above. It sums up what makes the MAC so great that I hope it's never touched.

What other conference has it's members be able to still travel by bus to away games in conference?!?

To me, the MAC is like the college version of small-town Friday Night Lights. There's something old school about it.
IVY

Reaction Score
Also this:

Sacramento State's Pac-12 committee raises $35 million for NIL funds

Sacramento State is ramping up its quest to land an invite to the Pac-12 Conference.

Five days ago, the school announced plans for a new multi-use football stadium. The Sac12 executive committee announced Monday afternoon it has sourced $35 million in NIL funds from local businesses, community leaders and a local tribe in the last 24 hours.

The committee announced its goal is to raise a $50 million NIL war chest. The Sac12 executive group launched shortly after the Pac-12 added Boise State, Fresno State, San Diego State, and Colorado State.

Reaction Score
Also this:

Sacramento State's Pac-12 committee raises $35 million for NIL funds

Sacramento State is ramping up its quest to land an invite to the Pac-12 Conference.

Five days ago, the school announced plans for a new multi-use football stadium. The Sac12 executive committee announced Monday afternoon it has sourced $35 million in NIL funds from local businesses, community leaders and a local tribe in the last 24 hours.

The committee announced its goal is to raise a $50 million NIL war chest. The Sac12 executive group launched shortly after the Pac-12 added Boise State, Fresno State, San Diego State, and Colorado State.

Well damn. Why didn't they go FBS before, and play in CUSA or the MWC or as an independent? The PAC12 name means that much to them?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom