New PAC-12 Forming | Page 29 | The Boneyard

New PAC-12 Forming

Reaction Score
This is a good interview with the Memphis AD. He's only been at Memphis for two months. He said that the PAC offered $2.5 million to offset exit fees, which they estimated to be $25 million based on SMU. Two PAC schools (guess who) were going to keep all of the money from the college football playoff distribution. Travel costs were going to be $2.5 million. He said it was a bad deal for Memphis.

Asked whether he had discussions with the Big East, he said he talks to everyone.

Reaction Score
I like how the national media is stating that the PAC12, who was consumed by the other Power Leagues, is an example of Ego and the problem with college football's mess...

It’s really unbelievable isn’t it? Actually half of the people on this realignment board think this.

Reaction Score
This is a good interview with the Memphis AD. He's only been at Memphis for two months. He said that the PAC offered $2.5 million to offset exit fees, which they estimated to be $25 million based on SMU. Two PAC schools (guess who) were going to keep all of the money from the college football playoff distribution. Travel costs were going to be $2.5 million. He said it was a bad deal for Memphis.

Asked whether he had discussions with the Big East, he said he talks to everyone.

I’m not watching that. Just wondering how it is Memphis expects to collect Playoff Checks from two conferences.

Everyone has their hand out.

Reaction Score
I like how the national media is stating that the PAC12, who was consumed by the other Power Leagues, is an example of Ego and the problem with college football's mess...
He didn’t say other moves were smart, he said this was the dumbest. Hard to disagree.

Reaction Score
given all the things going around in all 50 directions I'm finding it hard to disagree... MWC wants 30 million to continue a scheduling alliance. You have rumors that the PAC wanted to give WSU/OSU all of Memphis's share if they wanted to join... etc etc etc

Reaction Score
given all the things going around in all 50 directions I'm finding it hard to disagree... MWC wants 30 million to continue a scheduling alliance. You have rumors that the PAC wanted to give WSU/OSU all of Memphis's share if they wanted to join... etc etc etc

Wait.

You think it’s reasonable that the PAC 12 should have to pay $30M for the privilege of playing MWC schools and they don’t get TV money and aren’t members of the conference?

Really?

Reaction Score
Not sure about ego myself, but two rules have governed most of CR.

1. Do unto others as was done to you.
2. Do unto others, but whine when it is done to you.

I think this is what the PAC-MW fight is about, and isn’t working well for either at this point. This specific event isn’t the problem regarding college athletics, but a symptom of what has been going on for 20+ years.

Also, I believe there is a third rule specifically regarding UConn.

Reaction Score
The waiting is the most agonizing part. It's like with the B12, we hear a bunch of news, a meeting with the presidents occurs and then ... nothing for weeks

Here we go again with the Pac
I assume the delay is prioritization of finding that 8th full member, then getting a reassessed tv value by the consultants to pitch Gonzaga and once onboard they could get UConn football into the fold (if it’s still being considered). But that 8th full member is most important to be an FBS conference followed by the Zags for basketball profile. That first piece is taking longer than they probably hoped.

Reaction Score
Wait.

You think it’s reasonable that the PAC 12 should have to pay $30M for the privilege of playing MWC schools and they don’t get TV money and aren’t members of the conference?

Really?
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with your point. Both sides miscalculated. The way I see it, OSU and WSU were left behind but were in a far better position than UConn which ended up as an Independent. The PAC 2 received a ton of money and retained the PAC brand. I think the MWC could ask for whatever it wants and the PAC 2 could accept it or reject it. If $30 million is too high, go get indie schedules just like UConn does. I'm not sure what the alternative PAC plan was anyway to keep the PAC alive. It would have to poach or merge eventually.

From the Chris Vannini Article
"The reason is simple: The top schools wanted to drop the dead weight. The problem is, the plan didn’t work, and now they’ll compete over adding the same kind of schools they wanted to avoid in the first place. All because everyone is too stubborn and prideful to admit they misjudged the situation."

"Here, we’re making strange moves for … what? A slight tick up in TV money? Trying to avoid a few of the lowest-regarded schools?"

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You’re assuming everyone in the MWC wanted a deal. SDSt/Fres/Boise/ColSt may have pushed for an exorbitant price exactly so it would fail and they could get away from Wyoming/Hawaii/etc

You think that SDSU, Fresno, Boise, and CSU engineered a split of the MWC that will cost them $15MM a piece, plus another $43MM of Pac 2 money that goes to the MWC, rather than just go back to the existing MWC schools and demand an unequal revenue split, which UNLV and Air Force were able to do?

Wouldn't it have been better to just get the Pac 12 schools to buy into the MWC, which they showed they were willing to do, and split the buy-in unequally, which the MWC schools showed they were willing to do?

No, let's go with your plan.

Reaction Score
Wait.

Really?
What part of both....

both wrong for different things and im glad you understand that

Reaction Score
The P4 will just look at what they did as helping the Pac-12.

Reaction Score
You think that SDSU, Fresno, Boise, and CSU engineered a split of the MWC that will cost them $15MM a piece, plus another $43MM of Pac 2 money that goes to the MWC, rather than just go back to the existing MWC schools and demand an unequal revenue split, which UNLV and Air Force were able to do?

Wouldn't it have been better to just get the Pac 12 schools to buy into the MWC, which they showed they were willing to do, and split the buy-in unequally, which the MWC schools showed they were willing to do?

No, let's go with your plan.
Why should they have to buy into a conference that should be greatful to have them?

Reaction Score
"If you want to know how absurd this all has gotten … UTEP, which has averaged 3.2 victories over the last nine seasons and is currently 0-4, might now be fielding multiple offers to leave Conference USA."

"This isn’t how the Pac-12 envisioned it, but it got a bit greedy and then got boxed out by the Mountain West, which is using the exit fees paid by the departing four teams to sweeten the pot and keep UNLV and the others. Sources say the Rebels will get $25 million, among other concessions, to stay."

"Having the Pac-12 get stronger at the expense of what would have been a gutted AAC and Mountain West does not serve anyone’s purpose other than bean counters and television executives. And even then, it’s minimal. Instead, it is better to have six relatively healthy non-power conferences (add the Sun Belt, Conference USA and Mid-American to the list) than further separation. That’s especially true with the new, expanded playoff system offering an automatic bid to the best of the rest."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't understand this response. We say the same thing ourselves.
Nba Hot Ones GIF by First We Feast

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom