New PAC-12 Forming | Page 28 | The Boneyard

New PAC-12 Forming

Reaction Score
I don't agree. I think CUSA, the AAC, and the Sun Belt are all basically duplicative and redundant, and I don't think having these essentially artificial groupings of schools exist just to have separate conference brands is really all that helpful or useful to the longterm survival of the sport. The continued competition among an artificially high number of G5s strengthens, rather than weakens, the predatory P5s imo
I suppose you have about 38-40 programs between these three conferences, CUSA, AAC, Sun Belt. I don't know if they should consolidate conferences or have fewer FBS programs. CUSA could easily be carved up and distributed. I've always felt more conferences are better for the sport overall with more conference champions and more rivalries. 6 Power Conferences would be better than 4.

Reaction Score
Did they botch it? Sure they didn't get Memphis, Tulane, Air Force or UNLV but they still got the rest of the Big brands
1) they should’ve locked up 8 MW and gotten the conference dissolved, nixing the exit fees
2) the fact that schools are choosing staying in the MW over jumping ship is pretty damning
3) with Memphis and a Texas school or 2, they could’ve been clearly above the G5 and possibly in position for more

4) they will now will have to take at least one dreg to round out the conference

The conference is not as strong, not as geographically expansive, and paying huge exit fees.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
LOL. They paid $43 million in penalties on a contract they signed a year ago, they don't even have a full conference yet and all the remaining additive programs, other than UConn, have passed on joining. I would say that is botching it.
The PAC 2 had a huge war chest which OSU and WSU could have mostly split between the two programs. They could have figured out a way to merge with the MWC and still keep most of the $$. Instead they raided the MWC at a very steep cost and will end up with more or less a merged PAC-MWC. OK, they didn't want Hawaii and Wyoming. They paid a boatload of money to avoid a few MWC programs while CR is so unstable it probably didn't matter. From a financial standpoint, they botched it big time.

A move that would certainly be twilight zone, but maybe not completely insane, is adding UMass.
And.....check out the key tweets thread. The MAC is now in play for the MWC.

Reaction Score
LOL. They paid $43 million in penalties on a contract they signed a year ago, they don't even have a full conference yet and all the remaining additive programs, other than UConn, have passed on joining. I would say that is botching it.

Those schools are too poor to pay the exit fees. Otherwise they would leave.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Another twilight zone but not completely insane proposal: merge the Pac 12 with the Big East. They don't have to play against each other or share revenue, but it gets the Pac 12 an 8th member. It might justify Gonzaga joining whatever this would be, and maybe the Big East takes a piece of the Pac 12 CFP split.

The definition of conference does not require all teams to play against each other.

Reaction Score
The PAC 2 had a huge war chest which OSU and WSU could have mostly split between the two programs. They could have figured out a way to merge with the MWC and still keep most of the $$. Instead they raided the MWC at a very steep cost and will end up with more or less a merged PAC-MWC. OK, they didn't want Hawaii and Wyoming. They paid a boatload of money to avoid a few MWC programs while CR is so unstable it probably didn't matter. From a financial standpoint, they botched it big time.

And.....check out the key tweets thread. The MAC is now in play for the MWC.

False. The MWC would have milked them along leaching as much of that buyout money as possible and then let them join.

I don't blame the PAC 12 at all.

It’s all “fine,” but chock full of hypocrisy and self-righteousness. For example, the ACC had no problem killing Big East football, and had no problem when the teams they invited violated the 27 month rule, but wailed when Maryland left, and refused to try and settle with Florida St. and Clemson. And WSU and OSU had a problem when their conference was obliterated, but had no problem trying to destroy the AAC and MW.

The bottom line is that all of these conference moves involved schools that wanted to move and conferences that wanted to invite them. Again all fine, except for moral superiority crap that we see.

Not so much true with the PAC 12. As I said above the MWC play was to take as much of that PAC 12 warchest as possible and tried to take advantage. The MWC deserves this pain.

Reaction Score
In Benedict's words, "I'm not so sure that the next 5-10 years things don't dramatically shift to where conference affiliation is not the way we typically think about it today." (5:00 of Locked On UConn video)

If MAC is now being discussed, that has to mean that CR is reaching a point where conferences are really thinking outside the box in order to maximize revenue. PAC and MWC need bodies and while looking east, UConn is a prime candidate and could use some east coast partners. Rockey Mountains meet the Appalachians.

Reaction Score
Another twilight zone but not completely insane proposal: merge the Pac 12 with the Big East. They don't have to play against each other or share revenue, but it gets the Pac 12 an 8th member. It might justify Gonzaga joining whatever this would be, and maybe the Big East takes a piece of the Pac 12 CFP split.

The definition of conference does not require all teams to play against each other.
Was thinking similar lines, especially if Gonzaga/St Mary’s in mix.
That would be a great BB league.

Reaction Score
You pretty explained how they botched without realizing it.
Memphis and Tulane would have been decent gets but UNLV and Air Force aren't anything to write home about. The PAC will be fine. It'll have two dead weight schools and 6 schools much stronger than the rest of the MWC. The PAC and AAC will be the G5 conference sending a champ to the playoff more often than not.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
I suppose you have about 38-40 programs between these three conferences, CUSA, AAC, Sun Belt. I don't know if they should consolidate conferences or have fewer FBS programs. CUSA could easily be carved up and distributed. I've always felt more conferences are better for the sport overall with more conference champions and more rivalries. 6 Power Conferences would be better than 4.
To be fair, many of those are recent call ups

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Was thinking similar lines, especially if Gonzaga/St Mary’s in mix.
That would be a great BB league.

With a combined football/basketball product, there may be a better streaming package available, and it would be a new, less competitive market for Big East games.

Reaction Score
Probably on average they are…recent ncaa bids 2022, 2023, 2024 for Boise. UNH NCAA bids, 0 since inception of the program. Of course maybe we replace Maryland Eastern Shore. Might be better that them, too.

please explain, though, why you assume we are not playing in a tournament if we play 2 games against real teams.
hey free,
i already explained my opinion, scroll up.

not saying i'm right, just my view on this matter.

Reaction Score
False. The MWC would have milked them along leaching as much of that buyout money as possible and then let them join.

I don't blame the PAC 12 at all.

Not so much true with the PAC 12. As I said above the MWC play was to take as much of that PAC 12 warchest as possible and tried to take advantage. The MWC deserves this pain.
You may be right about the PAC and having to pay the MWC. But at least it would have been a better overall approach without all the poaching and lawsuits. I'll bet the cost would have been lower in the end. And if they really wanted to keep as much as possible, they could have formed an agreement with the MWC programs to vote to dissolve the MWC and bring them all into the PAC. There would have been ways for the PAC to not fudge it all up.

Reaction Score
It was a master-class in overplaying your hands by both the Pac-2 & MWC. The MWC thought they had the Pac-2 locked in and tried to tighten the screws. The Pac-2 made it's first move and thought, the AAC teams were going to easily push into their league to the point they didn't make a competitive offer on the buy outs (or even to do for what would've been additional founding members what they did for the first four). As a result both failed to meet their goals (MWC to secure the reverse merger (or even a direct merger)) and the Pac-2 failed in their goal to build the clear "best of the rest" conference.

Reaction Score
It was a master-class in overplaying your hands by both the Pac-2 & MWC. The MWC thought they had the Pac-2 locked in and tried to tighten the screws. .

You’re assuming everyone in the MWC wanted a deal. SDSt/Fres/Boise/ColSt may have pushed for an exorbitant price exactly so it would fail and they could get away from Wyoming/Hawaii/etc

Reaction Score
I don't think it's completely out of the question that a full merger happens. If it doesn't happen, I think we're in for football only. Wonder if something will happen today.

Reaction Score

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
New Pac-12's contract for new members.

Thanks for posting that link! The GOR is set to expire on June 30, 2031.

"if any schools opt out of joining the conference on July 1, 2026, they would have to pay liquidated damages of $30 million or $40 million, depending on which conference that school joined instead."

"Pac-12 schools cannot leave to a non-A4 (Big 12, ACC, SEC, or Big Ten) conference or go independent before the GOR is up. If a school wants to leave after the June 30, 2031 date, it must give at least a year’s notice and will have to pay a fee of three times the amount the school received from the Pac-12 the preceding year."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom