New PAC-12 Forming | Page 27 | The Boneyard

New PAC-12 Forming

Reaction Score
travel will only be atrocious 4 trips a year. I assume the team flew to North Carolina for the Duke game, they will fly to Rice, UAB, and most likey Cuse. One you get on a plane you get off where it lands. How many extra hours in the air are we talking about per year. 20 to 25?

If the football team joins the PACxxx, travel issues will be tilted way in UConn's favor.

Four west coast teams travelling east to play noon games will be gutted. It will be the midway through the 3rd quarter before they are even awake.

UConn travelling west four times will have only a minor impact. It is so much easier to perform anything after travelling west across time zones than east. Jet lag is biased that way.

We should try to schedule our conference games at 11:00am if they let us.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
If the football team joins the PACxxx, travel issues will be tilted way in UConn's favor.

Four west coast teams travelling east to play noon games will be gutted. It will be the midway through the 3rd quarter before they are even awake.

UConn travelling west four times will have only a minor impact. It is so much easier to perform anything after travelling west across time zones than east. Jet lag is biased that way.

Agree on the travel but my guess is our PAC home games will start at 3 the earliest

Reaction Score
Is there a chance the 5 MWC programs change their minds and stay with the MWC? The AAC programs and UNLV said no to the PAC. The PAC is not going to be as strong as they anticipated. It seems to me they would be better off maintaining the MWC as is and let the PAC 2 go back to the drawing board. Granted that would be bad for UConn. I just can't see the PAC tv deal being all that great.

Reaction Score
Is there a chance the 5 MWC programs change their minds and stay with the MWC? The AAC programs and UNLV said no to the PAC. The PAC is not going to be as strong as they anticipated. It seems to me they would be better off maintaining the MWC as is and let the PAC 2 go back to the drawing board. Granted that would be bad for UConn. I just can't see the PAC tv deal being all that great.
The new PAC is going to be significantly stronger than the current MWC. Their TV deal will be bigger than the current MWC deal simply due to the PAC brand.

Reaction Score
The new PAC is going to be significantly stronger than the current MWC. Their TV deal will be bigger than the current MWC deal simply due to the PAC brand.
If that's the case, then the UNLV commitment to the MWC makes no sense at all. Unless UNLV thinks it will end up in the AAC or Big 12.

Reaction Score
UNLV is broke and part of he agreement with MWC is that they get $25 million from the exit fees.
I get that but passing up a spot on the lifeboat to the PAC with your best programs just to be the richest kid in the poorest neighborhood. The MWC is going to be awful in football and basketball. The financial situation at UNLV must be extremely dire to make this short-sighted decision.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
The financial situation at UNLV must be extremely dire to make this short-sighted decision.
Bad enough that they could only afford to give their star starting QB $3K before he bolted. And we think we have budget problems, at least we're not UNLV.

Reaction Score
"If you want to know how absurd this all has gotten … UTEP, which has averaged 3.2 victories over the last nine seasons and is currently 0-4, might now be fielding multiple offers to leave Conference USA."

"This isn’t how the Pac-12 envisioned it, but it got a bit greedy and then got boxed out by the Mountain West, which is using the exit fees paid by the departing four teams to sweeten the pot and keep UNLV and the others. Sources say the Rebels will get $25 million, among other concessions, to stay."

"Having the Pac-12 get stronger at the expense of what would have been a gutted AAC and Mountain West does not serve anyone’s purpose other than bean counters and television executives. And even then, it’s minimal. Instead, it is better to have six relatively healthy non-power conferences (add the Sun Belt, Conference USA and Mid-American to the list) than further separation. That’s especially true with the new, expanded playoff system offering an automatic bid to the best of the rest."

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
"If you want to know how absurd this all has gotten … UTEP, which has averaged 3.2 victories over the last nine seasons and is currently 0-4, might now be fielding multiple offers to leave Conference USA."

"This isn’t how the Pac-12 envisioned it, but it got a bit greedy and then got boxed out by the Mountain West, which is using the exit fees paid by the departing four teams to sweeten the pot and keep UNLV and the others. Sources say the Rebels will get $25 million, among other concessions, to stay."

"Having the Pac-12 get stronger at the expense of what would have been a gutted AAC and Mountain West does not serve anyone’s purpose other than bean counters and television executives. And even then, it’s minimal. Instead, it is better to have six relatively healthy non-power conferences (add the Sun Belt, Conference USA and Mid-American to the list) than further separation. That’s especially true with the new, expanded playoff system offering an automatic bid to the best of the rest."

I don't agree. I think CUSA, the AAC, and the Sun Belt are all basically duplicative and redundant, and I don't think having these essentially artificial groupings of schools exist just to have separate conference brands is really all that helpful or useful to the longterm survival of the sport. The continued competition among an artificially high number of G5s strengthens, rather than weakens, the predatory P5s imo

Reaction Score

What a dope. What he means to say is it is better for the P4 not to have anyone who can compete with them to become a P5 again.

Reaction Score
IF the PAC-12 wins its lawsuit against the MW, or IF the exit fees are negotiated down to settle the lawsuit, how will the MW have the money to pay UNLV and Air Force they have been promised to stay in the MW?
So you’re suggesting that UNLV, the qb of the MWC, could quit its conference say 3 weeks in if verbally promised bag falls short?

Reaction Score

Certainly worked out that way when he headed to Fresno and Utah state over past few years. Those were ez wins

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
I don't get this chatter that Gonzaga wouldn't make the leap for "this" PAC-12. It's a decent hoops league. Are we supposed to believe this AD is focused up on all things "big brands" while his school beats the life out of Pepperdine and the University of Portland? Come on now

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I will be curious if this TV deal the PAC keeps touting will be all on linear TV or will have a lot on streaming services. I know the money would be good, or better than we get now, but I'd hate to have a SBC deal where most games are on ESPN+

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Or perhaps 11:11?

Reaction Score

Ah ok so it's fine to break up the original PAC12 and for FSU and Clemson to try and destroy the ACC, but it's not ok for the PAC to try and make itself a stronger conference.

Reaction Score
Perhaps we need a separate Mountain West thread, if we are interested in that conference

Reaction Score
Pretty impressive how badly OSU/Wazzou botched this.

I assume NMSU and UTEP will get called next by both the PAC and MW.

After that I guess the UAC/WAC schools or maybe SacSt, UCDavis.

Reaction Score
Pretty impressive how badly OSU/Wazzou botched this.

I assume NMSU and UTEP will get called next by both the PAC and MW.

After that I guess the UAC/WAC schools or maybe SacSt, UCDavis.
Did they botch it? Sure they didn't get Memphis, Tulane, Air Force or UNLV but they still got the rest of the Big brands

Reaction Score
Ah ok so it's fine to break up the original PAC12 and for FSU and Clemson to try and destroy the ACC, but it's not ok for the PAC to try and make itself a stronger conference.
It’s all “fine,” but chock full of hypocrisy and self-righteousness. For example, the ACC had no problem killing Big East football, and had no problem when the teams they invited violated the 27 month rule, but wailed when Maryland left, and refused to try and settle with Florida St. and Clemson. And WSU and OSU had a problem when their conference was obliterated, but had no problem trying to destroy the AAC and MW.

The bottom line is that all of these conference moves involved schools that wanted to move and conferences that wanted to invite them. Again all fine, except for moral superiority crap that we see.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Did they botch it? Sure they didn't get Memphis, Tulane, Air Force or UNLV but they still got the rest of the Big brands

LOL. They paid $43 million in penalties on a contract they signed a year ago, they don't even have a full conference yet and all the remaining additive programs, other than UConn, have passed on joining. I would say that is botching it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom