New PAC-12 Forming | Page 25 | The Boneyard

New PAC-12 Forming

Reaction Score
Somethings up... Softball type question from someone (missed who) about the rumors/current state of college athletics @ UConn to Dave Benedict just before breaking onto Executive Session.

Sounded like AD Dave will be needed during the Executive Session @ some point (could also be totally not related to conference realignment)
“It’s fluid” “we’re happy” “we need resources though to compete in the future”

Reaction Score
I would rather save our BBall games for prestigious tournaments or one-off games with a Kansas or Michigan State, than have to muck it up with boise state and Wazzu....4 times a year? 2 away games??? get outta here, pac12 - no thanks, we are beyond that. If anything i think it could even hurt our basketball brand and recruiting, to have to commit 4 games a year to a glorified MW. we need to be careful before risking that kind of schedule downgrade, especially if the big east loses prestige and slots in the NCAA tournament - we were complaining last year that big east only had 3 teams in the dance.

Imagine a scenario where we (uconn mbb) perform good but not great and end up 3rd or 4th in the big east; we need our OOC schedule to buoy us up. if 4 of those games were against P12 teams, our resume is not being helped. We get skipped for the dance. BBall fans get pissed off, BBall boosters get pissed off, and football is crapped on because we sacrificed bball for our lame football team...once again.
27-Boise St. (all locations) & 44-Wazzou (neutral/road) were Quadrant 1 opponents last year.

Edit to add:

For the record so were:
17-Gonzaga (all)
20-SDSU (all)
36-Colorado St. (neutral / away)
38-Utah St. (neutral / away)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I didn’t misread it. It’s a win/win, but they are taking a risk by adding us.

We are a luxury. We don’t make them street legal as a conference because we aren’t a full member.
yeah.... my view is an idealized result, but 4 games (2H / 2A) is also a pipe dream. I would be very mad if UConn agreed to that, i really think it's not necessary.

If we have to give 1 or 2 games, that's survivable in my "imaginary scenario". 4 games is a LOT tho.

Reaction Score
This is the situation: we want to know what's going on, but we also don't want it leaked in a manner that undermines whatever it is that is going on. So basically, just tell us and we'll keep it here on the Yard. wink wink.
No better place to keep a secret!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
2 men and 2 women seems reasonable.

Swing Swinging GIF

Reaction Score
I would rather save our BBall games for prestigious tournaments or one-off games with a Kansas or Michigan State, than have to muck it up with boise state and Wazzu.

I am not sure life would go on without playing those games against HBCUs I never heard of. I hope we don't lose those.

Reaction Score
As Frank the Tank put it, the UConn brand being associated with the PAC is payment. I have no issue with a couple games but we’ve got to keep playing the early season tournaments. They really build the brand. We may have to scrap the cupcakes and offer to play Boise or Utah St in Storrs over Christmas break or something.
Why do you assume we won’t still play early season tournament? I suspect that for at least some of those events, the ones that have first round on-campus games for example, we can probably influence who gets invited. Beyond that, Not sure why consider games against San Diego State, possibly Gonzaga, Boise State, Oregon State are somehow beneath us. All Have had at least one bid in the last couple of years. If this league were to somehow merge with the NEWBE, I suspect they would all finish above the likes of Georgetown PC Seton Hall,Butler and St John’s. Certainly the Zags and SDSU would finish in the top third of the league. Intramural champs from each would likely beat DePaul.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am not sure life would go on without playing those games against HBCUs I never heard of. I hope we don't lose those.
your tone indicates you don't get what i'm saying.

obviously we have those cupcake games for a reason, they're designed to win and practice our game.

If we need to get challenged more, which a MW/P12 team would be, i'd rather risk losing a game against a high profile program than risk losing during a weak year, to one of those teams.

Reaction Score
Somethings up... Softball type question from someone (missed who) about the rumors/current state of college athletics @ UConn to Dave Benedict just before breaking onto Executive Session.

Sounded like AD Dave will be needed during the Executive Session @ some point (could also be totally not related to conference realignment)
Under Connecticut Freedom of Information law executive sessions are permitted for contract negotiation, law suits strategy, property acquisition and some other things. Only members of the body and others specifically invited for their input are allowed in. In theory, though not always in practice, if there are multiple agenda items and a non-member is not required for item 1 he/she should not be in there when 1 is addressed.

Reaction Score
This is the situation: we want to know what's going on, but we also don't want it leaked in a manner that undermines whatever it is that is going on. So basically, just tell us and we'll keep it here on the Yard. wink wink.
Might be onto something. This could fall under Freedom of Information act statues per the BOT dialogue. We now know that if an FOI act request resulted in public documents about the big12, those directly contributed to halt in the process and a large financial implication to the state and university. Going forward we are placing these requests under these statutes and no information will be made public (under that law…).

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Under Connecticut Freedom of Information law executive sessions are permitted for contract negotiation, law suits strategy, property acquisition and some other things. Only members of the body and others specifically invited for their input are allowed in. In theory, though not always in practice, if there are multiple agenda items and a non-member is not required for item 1 he/she should not be in there when 1 is addressed.
Right. They said they’d call him (Dave Benedict) in after they’re done with item 1. What was item 2??

Reaction Score
Memphis would be a great add to the Big East.
Why would they join the Big East ?
They make more money in the AAC and
have a football home.
Its currently over $10,000,000
They‘re better off waiting to see what happens to the ACC
5 departures at &18,000,000 a team
plus Houston’s NCAA credits divided by 5 is a nice bonus .

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
travel will only be atrocious 4 trips a year. I assume the team flew to North Carolina for the Duke game, they will fly to Rice, UAB, and most likey Cuse. One you get on a plane you get off where it lands. How many extra hours in the air are we talking about per year. 20 to 25?
I'm 60 and just finishing up a 36 hour door to door trip. They can suck up a 6 hour trip to Oregon once a year.

Reaction Score
Why would they join the Big East ?
Memphis was inquiring to put all sports in the Big East and try to be in a football-only association with the (then) PAC-6 (now PAC-7). That arrangement failed and the PAC-6 wouldn’t cover enough of their exit fees/couldn’t guarantee enough additional revenue for Memphis to justify the cost so they stayed in the AAC.

Reaction Score
does anyone know if Benedict attended the executive session? Sometimes, government agencies will list in minutes who attended executive session. If he was there, it wasn't a discussion on football helmets but likely conference affiliation, ACC, B12 or PAC.

Reaction Score
yeah.... my view is an idealized result, but 4 games (2H / 2A) is also a pipe dream. I would be very mad if UConn agreed to that, i really think it's not necessary.

If we have to give 1 or 2 games, that's survivable in my "imaginary scenario". 4 games is a LOT tho.
The Big East should be actively working to solidify a men's PAC-12/Big East annual challenge contingent on our football-only addition. If it requires us to play another men's game annually, I'd be okay with that. One home, one away isn't unreasonable if you ask me. Women play a national schedule of home and away games so I'm sure they can make at least one game annually work. Plenty happy to play Oregon St and/or Gonzaga in baseball as well.

Reaction Score
your tone indicates you don't get what i'm saying.

obviously we have those cupcake games for a reason, they're designed to win and practice our game.

If we need to get challenged more, which a MW/P12 team would be, i'd rather risk losing a game against a high profile program than risk losing during a weak year, to one of those teams.
So they are both too hard and too easy at the same time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom