New PAC-12 Forming | Page 23 | The Boneyard

New PAC-12 Forming

Reaction Score
Eh. She's not the good guy here. She knew the schools were desperate and tried screw them over. The MWC kind of deserves it if it loses another school or two.
I'm on her side, the commissioner of the MWC. The PAC 2 was desperate and it had options, such as joining the MWC. She didn't screw them over at all. All she did was try to protect her conference from exactly what the PAC 2 is now doing - poaching and tearing her conference apart. The PAC 2 agreed to pay penalties if it went after her schools.

Reaction Score
Eh. She's not the good guy here. She knew the schools were desperate and tried screw them over. The MWC kind of deserves it if it loses another school or two.
Um her priorities are the schools in her conference. All of them. She increased revenue for the schools in her conference. She did her job.

Reaction Score
I'm on her side, the commissioner of the MWC. The PAC 2 was desperate and it had options, such as joining the MWC. She didn't screw them over at all. All she did was try to protect her conference from exactly what the PAC 2 is now doing - poaching and tearing her conference apart. The PAC 2 agreed to pay penalties if it went after her schools.

Nonsense.

She tried to shakedown the PAC 2 of their buyout money. So now they are drinking her milkshake. She’s not quite a villain but she deserves the blowback.

Reaction Score
also, only Benedict knows what was truly said regarding BIG 12 issue behind the scenes, maybe it was a hard core never again NO or was it possibly a let see how you do after this season and we can address it after a three-peat in April. I genuinely believe there is so much more going on than all the rumors and "source" stuff.
An Executive Session is anticipated during tomorrow’s scheduled BOT meeting. Could be football related.

IMG_5983.jpeg

Reaction Score
What is the Pac12 offering? They have no media contract. The Pac12 badly screwed up media negotiations prior to the mass exodus by all but the 2 remaining teams. They will not be a power conference with an automatic bid. I'm keeping an open mind but show me the money/media contract before I'm in. I know UConn can't wait forever but the Power 5 should still be the goal.
You can’t have a media contract if you don’t know who’s in a league yet! If they joined as a football only member the money would still be better than being independent. It will be the best conference outside of the P4. And they would have a path into the CFP. The unknown is better than what the football program has right now!

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
That’s going to happen in just about every league. ACCcheck, Big 10 check, Big 12 check. But if you get a 3 pm start, it’s 6 pm here. And it isn’t like every game is 10 pm. I. I’d like to think we’d get mostly earlier games to reach UConn viewers.

I doubt UConn is joining the PAC1? for any sport, football or otherwise, but consider this:

For east coast athletes flying west to compete, the jet lag is not a bad thing and might actually help a little.

For west coast athletes flying east to compete in a noon game, the jet lag is brutal.

UConn may enjoy a subtle but real competitive advantage if we play a full home-and-away round robin as the only east coast football team.

I just want to win, baby!

:)
It's always easier to keep yourself up than to make yourself fall asleep.

Reaction Score
30 million says otherwise

Reaction Score
Yes the benefits to UConn are obvious, but there is a benefit to the PAC as well:

no buyout and biggest brand on the board

the AAC teams didn't go because the PAC didn't want to part with any more money than $2.5 million each

They would need to give UConn $0 to get them, something no other school in the country available can boast and they can even ask for a basketball game or two along the way. It's the perfect ninth team so that everyone plays 8 games.
hoping that uconn team uses that $0 as the biggest bargaining chip in the world - with that 'gift' to the pac 12, i don't see why we would owe them 2 or 4 basketball games a year. screw that, we don't need to play their lame bball programs. 4 games is insane and wastes games that could have been at a prestigious tournament against quality opponents from other power conferences. (maui invitational, phil knight, etc.)

and as dom amore pointed out, we're 7-8 in the Jim Mora era vs this caliber of football competition. they don't own the negotiating table, and we need to speak like it.

Reaction Score
hoping that uconn team uses that $0 as the biggest bargaining chip in the world - with that 'gift' to the pac 12, i don't see why we would owe them 2 or 4 basketball games a year. screw that, we don't need to play their lame bball programs. 4 games is insane and wastes games that could have been at a prestigious tournament against quality opponents from other power conferences. (maui invitational, phil knight, etc.)

and as dom amore pointed out, we're 7-8 in the Jim Mora era vs this caliber of football competition. they don't own the negotiating table, and we need to speak like it.
Good luck with that. We will definitely have to give them 2-4 men and women games a year if they want us to bring in our football. Remember we have one of the worst historically football teams in all of America in the last 10 years. We can't be that choosy when a gift horse is given out. Yeah we have a good coach, and we are optimisitc on a turnaround but there is no long term guarantee on that especially being an Independent in the new NIL world. We need some decent guaranteed money for football even and a chance at th College Football Playoffs.

Reaction Score
Good luck with that. We will definitely have to give them 2-4 men and women games a year if they want us to bring in our football. Remember we have one of the worst historically football teams in all of America in the last 10 years. We can't be that choosy when a gift horse is given out. Yeah we have a good coach, and we are optimisitc on a turnaround but there is no long term guarantee on that especially being an Independent in the new NIL world. We need some decent guaranteed money for football even and a chance at th College Football Playoffs.
The hubris is unreal.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
I’d say a move is imminent. Imminent, I tell ya.

princess-bride-you-keep-using-that-word.gif
^_^
Nonsense.

She tried to shakedown the PAC 2 of their buyout money. So now they are drinking her milkshake. She’s not quite a villain but she deserves the blowback.
Zoo, I generally tend to agree with a lot of your posts, but in this scenario I don't see what she did as nefarious. Her conference, at that point, was in a comparatively stronger position compared to the PAC2 leftovers. Nobody forced OSU or WSU to sign the scheduling agreement with the MWC; those two teams could have negotiated lower terms, scheduled UConn, AAC, and SBC teams. What they did was of their own volition. I see the PAC2 and MWC as using each other, only the MWC didn't know they were gonna be consumed by external/internal forces. I don't fault her, but I think she was naive not to anticipate that defections would occur sooner.

Reaction Score

Why would they need to give us money when we have no buyout to pay?

Also Imagine being the Pac 12, you're adding one of the historically worst football programs for football only of the last 10 years and paying them a fair share of football revenue someday. Of course you're going to need to ask UConn for some concessions.

And you know what? In terms of helping their basketball get off the ground the it's in our best interests to do something reasonable like play a few OOC games.

Reaction Score
Why would they need to give us money when we have no buyout to pay?

Also Imagine being the Pac 12, you're adding one of the historically worst football programs for football only of the last 10 years and paying them a fair share of football revenue someday. Of course you're going to need to ask UConn for some concessions.

And you know what? In terms of helping their basketball get off the ground the it's in our best interests to do something reasonable like play a few OOC games.

As Frank the Tank put it, the UConn brand being associated with the PAC is payment. I have no issue with a couple games but we’ve got to keep playing the early season tournaments. They really build the brand. We may have to scrap the cupcakes and offer to play Boise or Utah St in Storrs over Christmas break or something.

Reaction Score
Nonsense.

Im sure the MWC teams had to buy themselves out of games to accommodate those 2.

What i will say is the MWC was always gonna be where they turned to get teams from, so why I enter into any agreement to not poach teams from them? The PAC from Larry Scott, to Kliavkoff to whatever president told them to reject 30 million and wanted them to get 50 a year, has been and continues to be run by absolute fools.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
View attachment 103717 ^_^

Zoo, I generally tend to agree with a lot of your posts, but in this scenario I don't see what she did as nefarious. Her conference, at that point, was in a comparatively stronger position compared to the PAC2 leftovers. Nobody forced OSU or WSU to sign the scheduling agreement with the MWC; those two teams could have negotiated lower terms, scheduled UConn, AAC, and SBC teams. What they did was of their own volition. I see the PAC2 and MWC as using each other, only the MWC didn't know they were gonna be consumed by external/internal forces. I don't fault her, but I think she was naive not to anticipate that defections would occur sooner.
I think Gloria was astute rather than naive. She must have considered the possibility of early defections which is why she included a poaching penalty.

Gloria played hoops at UMass.

gloria.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom