New PAC-12 Forming | Page 21 | The Boneyard

New PAC-12 Forming

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

The Pac 12's plan was to sue their way out of a contract they signed a year ago, and Colorado State, Boise State, San Diego State, and Fresno State thought this plan was such a good idea that they joined the league, even though they had to have authorized the same contract that the Pac 12 is now suing to get out of. As a bonus, the Pac 12, until recently a P5 conference, is claiming that the MWC (less the 4 or 5 departing schools) is violating anti-trust law. I look forward to hearing a lawyer argue that the MWC is a monopoly. The MWC doesn't even have a monopoly in the mountain states.

Making this even worse is the reality that UConn is hoping to put its football program in a conference that would do something so obviously stupid.

Reaction Score
Whattya give me for…

This must be an incorrect interpretation of Dellenger's story. Dellenger's original story said Gonzaga for basketball and UConn for football only. His latest story says:

"The Pac-12 continues to hold conversations with basketball powers Gonzaga and UConn and is evaluating other options, though UNLV remains the top target." His story says nothing about UConn being a full member.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Imagine the BB only crowd if this happened?
We would burn up the BY for sure if we are going PAC12 full membership. That is just a dumb idea. I can see Big 12 but what left of the PAC 12 is a G5 conference with members all on the West Coast. It makes no sense at all.

Reaction Score
The story was updated to say that UConn talked to the PAC about joining as a full member.

"According to Dellenger, the Huskies initially had conversations with the conference about joining as a football-only member but have discussed full-time membership as well.

Dellenger reported Monday that UConn and Gonzaga each discussed joining the conference, with the Bulldogs potentially a basketball-only member, as the Pac-12 continues to rebuild following the exit of 10 of its previous 12 members ahead of this season.

“The Pac-12 continues to hold conversations with basketball powers Gonzaga and UConn and is evaluating other options, though UNLV remains the top target,” Dellenger wrote."

This must be an incorrect interpretation of Dellenger's story. Dellenger's tweet said UConn for football only. His story says:

"The Pac-12 continues to hold conversations with basketball powers Gonzaga and UConn and is evaluating other options, though UNLV remains the top target."
I don’t think that’s correct since he links to Dellenger’s report that makes no mention of consideration as a full member. Could be wrong but I don’t see any legit source (sorry HC) make any mention of that.

Reaction Score
The story was updated to say that UConn talked to the PAC about joining as a full member.

"According to Dellenger, the Huskies initially had conversations with the conference about joining as a football-only member but have discussed full-time membership as well.

Dellenger reported Monday that UConn and Gonzaga each discussed joining the conference, with the Bulldogs potentially a basketball-only member, as the Pac-12 continues to rebuild following the exit of 10 of its previous 12 members ahead of this season.

“The Pac-12 continues to hold conversations with basketball powers Gonzaga and UConn and is evaluating other options, though UNLV remains the top target,” Dellenger wrote."

This must be an incorrect interpretation of Dellenger's story. Dellenger's tweet said UConn for football only. His story says:

"The Pac-12 continues to hold conversations with basketball powers Gonzaga and UConn and is evaluating other options, though UNLV remains the top target."
It would be malpractice for the PAC not to at least ask if UConn Had an interest in all-sports membership. I doubt either side expected an affirmative answer. To me the Zags for all sports and us as a football only member, basically filling that piece makes at least reasonable sense short term.

Reaction Score
I don’t think that’s correct since he links to Dellenger’s report that makes no mention of consideration as a full member. Could be wrong but I don’t see any legit source (sorry HC) make any mention of that.
The author is the sports editor of the Courant. Yikes! I think he made a mistake. Dellenger never said anything about UConn being a full member.

Reaction Score
The author is the sports editor of the Courant. Yikes! I think he made a mistake. Dellenger never said anything about UConn being a full member.
Unfortunately outside one or two people, the Courant has fallen into complete disrepair due to private equity gutting it like a fish. And I feel fairly confident they aren’t breaking any news particularly on this topic.

Reaction Score
The only thing I would believe with this is a desperate attempt to get the Big 12 or ACC to act.

Dave has an obligation to pick up the phone and listen to possible options . Doesn’t mean he has to take them. By obligation I mean. He should never close a door or ignore an opportunity. Without looking into it first and getting the facts

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
After they added the four MW schools, I saw a quote from one of the PAC-2 ADs (maybe Barnes) saying they were looking at every possibility for the next additions Including Connecticut as a full member based on our success. Something like, “we at least need to make the phone call and have that conversation.” I think that’s all that was. And we would obviously said no to that, so where we are now is only as a possibility of football-only.

Don’t have time to find it now, but prob in one of the yahoo, cbs or ESPN initial reports. It’s nothing burger throwaway line.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I doubt UConn is joining the PAC1? for any sport, football or otherwise, but consider this:

For east coast athletes flying west to compete, the jet lag is not a bad thing and might actually help a little.

For west coast athletes flying east to compete in a noon game, the jet lag is brutal.

UConn may enjoy a subtle but real competitive advantage if we play a full home-and-away round robin as the only east coast football team.

I just want to win, baby!

:)

Reaction Score
After they added the four MW schools, I saw a quote form one of the PAC-2 ADs (maybe Barnes) saying they were looking at every possibility for the next additions Including Connecticut as a full member based on our success. Something like, “we at least need to make the phone call and have that conversation.” I think that’s all that was. And we would obviously said no to that, so where we are now is only as a possibility of football-only.

Don’t have time to find it now, but prob in one of the yahoo, cbs or ESPN initial reports. It’s nothing burger throwaway line.
I remember that, too, and I thought he was crazy.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I remember that, too, and I thought he was crazy.
Yup def crazy and only actual mention of it from a real source and it was just kinda leave no stone unturned kinda comment. Wishful thinking for them and move on lol

This is obviously so messy for them right now. Should’ve done it all in private with whatever schools they wanted and made one big announcement.

Reaction Score
No way AD David Benedict is seriously considering full membership. Would be the dumbest move in sports history.
I disagree. AD David Benedict should seriously consider ALL proposals and make decisions based on those considerations. The decision may be no but every option should be thoroughly vetted or he's not doing his job.

There are so many moving pieces who knows what the ultimate PAC will look like. Before everyone calls me crazy, of course we are not going all in with the current PAC 7.

Reaction Score
What is the Pac12 offering? They have no media contract. The Pac12 badly screwed up media negotiations prior to the mass exodus by all but the 2 remaining teams. They will not be a power conference with an automatic bid. I'm keeping an open mind but show me the money/media contract before I'm in. I know UConn can't wait forever but the Power 5 should still be the goal.

Reaction Score
I disagree. AD David Benedict should seriously consider ALL proposals and make decisions based on those considerations. The decision may be no but every option should be thoroughly vetted or he's not doing his job.

There are so many moving pieces who knows what the ultimate PAC will look like. Before everyone calls me crazy, of course we are not going all in with the current PAC 7.
This is right. On the other hand it would be such fun to watch the basketball onlies heads exploding all over Connecticut. Can you imagine the numbers of clean ups in aisle 8 there would be! LOL

Reaction Score
The irony of the SEC and B1G taking and getting what they want and everyone under them fight for scraps in a somewhat tiered structure where schools don't always trust each other or their conferences and several file lawsuits of some sort. Meanwhile, the SEC and B1G go unscathed in it all.

Reaction Score
This is right. On the other hand it would be such fun to watch the basketball onlies heads exploding all over Connecticut. Can you imagine the numbers of clean ups in aisle 8 there would be! LOL
That would certainly cause some tremors.

Every AD has to be looking several potential moves ahead given the uncertainty. The AAC programs turned down the PAC although everyone seemed to think they would go. Unlikely, but maybe one of those scenarios has the PAC and ACC doing something worth something. Just spit-ballin' but crazy things happen every week.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom