New PAC-12 Forming | Page 19 | The Boneyard

New PAC-12 Forming

Reaction Score
Stanford and Cal are in the ACC
Oregon Washington USC and UCLA are in the Big 10

This is nuts in a vacuum but it's par for the course in college athletics.
Those deals were advantageous to all parties given the landscape.

If the landscape were "what can every school and conference do for UConn and UConn's-alone benefit?" then the realignment schemes proposed above make complete sense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Those deals were advantageous to all parties given the landscape.

If the landscape were "what can every school and conference do for UConn and UConn's-alone benefit?" then the realignment schemes make complete sense.
Yes the benefits to UConn are obvious, but there is a benefit to the PAC as well:

no buyout and biggest brand on the board

the AAC teams didn't go because the PAC didn't want to part with any more money than $2.5 million each

They would need to give UConn $0 to get them, something no other school in the country available can boast and they can even ask for a basketball game or two along the way. It's the perfect ninth team so that everyone plays 8 games.

Reaction Score
It isn't going to directly impact Basketball unless we get stuck in bad GOR and can't go to a better conference for both sports. Most basketball fans me included just care about staying in the Big East for Basketball presently so this is ideal as it also is a lot better than Independence for Football.
Financially and competitively I’m sure PAC-12 football only is a great move. If it is the best option and if it happens, I’ll support it because I don’t know how this stuff works enough to oppose it

It’s just dumb/funny because of what the P in “PAC”, and Conn in “UConn” stand for lmao

Reaction Score
Financially and competitively I’m sure PAC-12 football only is a great move. If it is the best option and if it happens, I’ll support it because I don’t know how this stuff works enough to oppose it

It’s just dumb/funny because of what the P in “PAC”, and Conn in “UConn” stand for lmao
Yeah, at this point it is about survival and not where your opponents play for Football. All the other sports it would be suicide since the PAC 10 deal will not be huge like the PAC4 ones. This the most ideal outcome unless you want to play in the MAC? LOL!

Reaction Score
Yes the benefits to UConn are obvious, but there is a benefit to the PAC as well:

no buyout and biggest brand on the board

the AAC teams didn't go because the PAC didn't want to part with any more money than $2.5 million each

They would need to give UConn $0 to get them, something no other school in the country available can boast and they can even ask for a basketball game or two along the way. It's the perfect ninth team so that everyone plays 8 games.
Frank the Tank's take on CSNBBS:

"At the same time, I think it’s far from crazy compared to what we’ve seen up to this point in conference realignment. It’s actually what a lot of people are begging for overall: UConn would place its football program in a league that is the best (or maybe only) option for them as of now, but keep basketball and all of their other sports with their traditional rivals and within their home region.

We’ve been talking about places like UTSA on this forum as if they’re predestined to be powers (e.g. a UCF-like trajectory), but that’s not exactly a guarantee at all. For as poor as UConn has performed on-the-field over the years, they still have enough pull as an athletic department to regularly get multiple power conference teams per year to visit their stadium. Even brands like Boise State haven’t been able to do that. It’s not just a function of UConn being able to schedule more games as an independent, either (as you can compare their schedules to UMass). UConn likely has enough wherewithal to schedule 2-3 P4 opponents per year, which would give UConn 1-2 P4 home games per year. That’s pretty immediate value to a non-power conference TV contract.

It’s also the least disruptive move from a geographic standpoint. Yes, we will make fun of UConn somehow being in both the Big East and Pac-12 at the same time, but football-only for UConn is honestly a way easier geographic situation than, say, USF joining the Pac-12 for all-sports.

I would say that Memphis all-sports is more valuable than UConn football-only, but if you take a step back, are Tulane, USF and UTSA really any more valuable brand-wise than UConn football-only, particularly when UConn is probably adding 1-2 P4 home games per year to the TV package? Everyone needs to put aside their image of on-the-field UConn football performance and look at the branding and TV metrics."

Reaction Score
Current set up and stadiums. Pac 12 is real light on baseball as is.
1727189020523.jpeg

Reaction Score
Frank the Tank's take on CSNBBS:

"At the same time, I think it’s far from crazy compared to what we’ve seen up to this point in conference realignment. It’s actually what a lot of people are begging for overall: UConn would place its football program in a league that is the best (or maybe only) option for them as of now, but keep basketball and all of their other sports with their traditional rivals and within their home region.

We’ve been talking about places like UTSA on this forum as if they’re predestined to be powers (e.g. a UCF-like trajectory), but that’s not exactly a guarantee at all. For as poor as UConn has performed on-the-field over the years, they still have enough pull as an athletic department to regularly get multiple power conference teams per year to visit their stadium. Even brands like Boise State haven’t been able to do that. It’s not just a function of UConn being able to schedule more games as an independent, either (as you can compare their schedules to UMass). UConn likely has enough wherewithal to schedule 2-3 P4 opponents per year, which would give UConn 1-2 P4 home games per year. That’s pretty immediate value to a non-power conference TV contract.

It’s also the least disruptive move from a geographic standpoint. Yes, we will make fun of UConn somehow being in both the Big East and Pac-12 at the same time, but football-only for UConn is honestly a way easier geographic situation than, say, USF joining the Pac-12 for all-sports.

I would say that Memphis all-sports is more valuable than UConn football-only, but if you take a step back, are Tulane, USF and UTSA really any more valuable brand-wise than UConn football-only, particularly when UConn is probably adding 1-2 P4 home games per year to the TV package? Everyone needs to put aside their image of on-the-field UConn football performance and look at the branding and TV metrics."
This guy is smart.

Things I think many people are missing:
1) there is no financial ramification to adding UConn outside a media/CFP split, which you have to pay any new member. No exit fees, no travel subsidy, etc
2) the average casual fan is not going to significantly decouple UConn's football brand from the basketball brand, especially if we continue our upward trajectory in football
3) the PAC would presumably get the football media rights for our non-con home games, which over the next 5 years include Ole Miss, UNC, Indiana, Maryland, Duke, Cuse, Pitt, JMU, etc. Sure some may go away due to the new conference schedule, butw e have shown we can schedule big time home and homes at UConn, and that will only grow with a solid conference home. We had a H+H with Michigan in the AAC, what's to say we can't do that again after a few years of winning in the PAC?
4) currently the PAC has no way to offer a 12pm EST time slot to a media partner outside a Colorado St or Utah St home game starting at 10am local - obviously there's some value in at least having an option there
5) this is the most geographically sensible move left, despite it seeming kind of silly, because non-rev sports travel to Spokane instead of the eastern seaboard

Reaction Score
I don’t love it but it would be a decent interim play for football. And it isn’t like we haven’t played a bunch of these teams already. Utah State, Fresno, Boise St, have been on the schedule over the last few years. In an ideal world we’d make a deal for 3 road games and 4 home if it’s an 8 team league but that’s probably not happening. This is a pretty solid G5 league, maybe better than the AAC.

I hadn’t thought of the tv benefit of having an early game many weeks, but that is definitely worth something to the PAC I think. Gives us a chance to compete for league honors and if we do it well to be seen as a better candidate for a P4 offer too.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
So does this PAC-12 noise make the ACC think differently about UConn? That they won't just be hanging out there?
As I read your post, I had an image of Rick Moranis (UConn) banging on the window of a restaurant in Ghostbusters asking for help, and the patrons in the restaurant (being the ACC) ignoring him as he's possessed by the key master (PAC). ACC would merely be like "good riddance" and go back to their ignorance of their own impending doom.

Reaction Score
How ironic that Tulane, Memphis, and USF are staying in the AAC not because they want to be in the AAC, but because they want to have an easier exit if/when the ACC comes calling.

The best thing that can happen is a conference disappears. More schools joining FBS level sports only dilutes the pool of money that is going to all of the other schools. This isn't a big deal for the larger conferences, but it is a very big deal for the smaller ones. At this point, it looks like the Mountain West is most in danger of disappearing. If UNLV joins the PAC-12 and Air Force goes off to the AAC, only 2 more losses will be needed to dissolve the Mountain West with no one owing any exit fees. The remaining MW schools would likely be absorbed by the AAC and Conference USA.

If the Mountain West finds a way to survive, it will be from raiding Conference USA in all likelihood. In which case, CUSA would be the conference that needs to go away. The remaining CUSA schools could be absorbed into the Sun Belt and MAC.

If more FCS schools move up the FBS, that is only going to hurt the non-power conferences and their members, as it will further dilute the CFP money they receive.

Regarding UConn, if the money received from the PAC-12, including CFP money, is more than the cost of 4 football road trips a year to the west each year, it would be worth joining as a football only member. At least until UConn makes it to its final resting spot when all realignment happens after the ACC GOR ends.

Reaction Score
Could just as easily be a Non-Key tweet:

-> “I don’t pay any attention to what’s going on out there,” UConn football head coach Jim Mora said at the team’s weekly media availability on Tuesday. “I mean, I see some headlines every once in a while, but I don’t. I grew up a Pac-12 guy obviously, but I’ve got enough to take care of right here that I don’t spend a lot of time on that. <-

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Reser stadium is 90 minute drive for me - if true, beyond excited to have UConn games in Corvallis. My next door neighbor is a diehard Beaver fan, guess who is getting hit up for those good tickets.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
What rules? There aren’t any in the NIL era.
Would you rather I say their reputation won't get them in? They are not an academic school and don't follow the Catholic or Christian guidelines that the members represent. Big East presidents don't care about bringing that mess into the conference.

I don't get everyone's infatuation with them. There athletics have a good program once in a great while, there coach leaves and they suck until they can find another good young coach.. Basketball has been a dumpster fire for years under Penny Hardaway and they have only marginal brand power.

Reaction Score
Would you rather I say their reputation won't get them in? They are not an academic school and don't follow the Catholic or Christian guidelines that the members represent. Big East presidents don't care about bringing that mess into the conference.

I don't get everyone's infatuation with them. There athletics have a good program once in a great while, there coach leaves and they suck until they can find another good young coach.. Basketball has been a dumpster fire for years under Penny Hardaway and they have only marginal brand power.
We and Villanova are the only brands in the NEWBE. Everyone else is B-list or below. Not a soul outside of South Orange NJ cares about Seton Hall. Probably gets them confudsed with St Peters.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We and Villanova are the only brands in the NEWBE. Everyone else is B-list or below. Not a soul outside of South Orange NJ cares about Seton Hall. Probably gets them confudsed with St Peters.

Not true. Silly argument.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom