New PAC-12 Forming | Page 22 | The Boneyard

New PAC-12 Forming

Reaction Score
That would certainly cause some tremors.

Every AD has to be looking several potential moves ahead given the uncertainty. The AAC programs turned down the PAC although everyone seemed to think they would go. Unlikely, but maybe one of those scenarios has the PAC and ACC doing something worth something. Just spit-ballin' but crazy things happen every week.
Right. I sort of wondered if something is in the works with the ACC and the PAC. Not sure what, though. I have always thought that the ACC and B12 would be best served making common cause with the G5 than the P2 on some issues. Basically those 2 have called all the shots and will continue to do so until someone says no.

Reaction Score
That would certainly cause some tremors.

Every AD has to be looking several potential moves ahead given the uncertainty. The AAC programs turned down the PAC although everyone seemed to think they would go. Unlikely, but maybe one of those scenarios has the PAC and ACC doing something worth something. Just spit-ballin' but crazy things happen every week.
Remember Stanford and Cal went ACC, Maybe PAC will want to play some games west,

Reaction Score
also, only Benedict knows what was truly said regarding BIG 12 issue behind the scenes, maybe it was a hard core never again NO or was it possibly a let see how you do after this season and we can address it after a three-peat in April. I genuinely believe there is so much more going on than all the rumors and "source" stuff.

Reaction Score
The Pac 12's plan was to sue their way out of a contract they signed a year ago, and Colorado State, Boise State, San Diego State, and Fresno State thought this plan was such a good idea that they joined the league, even though they had to have authorized the same contract that the Pac 12 is now suing to get out of. As a bonus, the Pac 12, until recently a P5 conference, is claiming that the MWC (less the 4 or 5 departing schools) is violating anti-trust law. I look forward to hearing a lawyer argue that the MWC is a monopoly. The MWC doesn't even have a monopoly in the mountain states.

You dont need to be a monopoly to run afoul of anti-trust laws. The issue is restraint of trade.
That would seem a tough argument here.

Dunno why the PAC didn't just start with 8 from the MWC, get them to dissolve the conference, and thus avoid exit fees.

Reaction Score
Worth finding a way to read full article:

-> The new Pac-12 couldn’t lure an AAC team because it has no idea what kind of TV deal it will be able to make. UConn’s brand, even if it’s football-only, could help with that. For the short term, UConn would get less football money than it would from a power conference, sure, but presumably much more than it is getting now as an independent.

The Pac-12 apparently was talking about inviting UConn in all sports. Okay, slam on the brakes there; that can’t happen, from UConn’s point of view. But if it gets Gonzaga, which does not have football, and UConn as a complement, the new league fits together like the jagged pieces of a puzzle.

Without taking a straw poll, I would guess that if UConn were to join this new venture, fans here would be very happy across the board. The football fans would have a conference. The basketball fans would still have the Big East. And those who worry about the financials could remain hopeful that a lucrative power conference move is still possible down the road. <-

Reaction Score
You dont need to be a monopoly to run afoul of anti-trust laws. The issue is restraint of trade.
That would seem a tough argument here.

Dunno why the PAC didn't just start with 8 from the MWC, get them to dissolve the conference, and thus avoid exit fees.
The PAC 2 didn't dissolve when the other programs left. I think the MWC would hold on to collect its war chest too, unless their bylaws are much different. One would think if there was a way to get the MWC to vote to dissolve before programs gave their notice, the PAC 2 would have learned that valuable lesson recently.

Reaction Score
The PAC 2 didn't dissolve when the other programs left. I think the MWC would hold on to collect its war chest too, unless their bylaws are much different. One would think if there was a way to get the MWC to vote to dissolve before programs gave their notice, the PAC 2 would have learned that valuable lesson recently.
I've seen multiple statements, which granted could be wrong, that 8 teams could vote to dissolve the conference.

I thought the PAC either had different rules AND/OR that once a school said "we are leaving" they were no longer allowed to vote. Since the PAC fell apart in pieces -- 2 to BiG, then Col to B12, then 2 more to BiG, then 3 to B12, then 2 to ACC .. and none were sure they were leaving until the offers came, you didn't get the single block of 8-10 schools departing at once.

The MW could've had 8 schools vote to dissolve, and then go to the PAC. Of course they'd have to be sure the PAC wouldn't screw them over....

Reaction Score
I've seen multiple statements, which granted could be wrong, that 8 teams could vote to dissolve the conference.

I thought the PAC either had different rules AND/OR that once a school said "we are leaving" they were no longer allowed to vote. Since the PAC fell apart in pieces -- 2 to BiG, then Col to B12, then 2 more to BiG, then 3 to B12, then 2 to ACC .. and none were sure they were leaving until the offers came, you didn't get the single block of 8-10 schools departing at once.

The MW could've had 8 schools vote to dissolve, and then go to the PAC. Of course they'd have to be sure the PAC wouldn't screw them over....
Oh, right. They could have organized 8 programs to vote to dissolve together, and based on experience you think they would have done that. I guess they didn't want 8 MWC programs because they wanted AAC programs, and now that the PAC effed it up, they are suing to eliminate the penalties. Good stuff.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No way AD David Benedict is seriously considering full membership. Would be the dumbest move in sports history.
I'm sure he talked about it. Suspect that conversation went something like this.:

PAC 12: "We'd love to have you as a member for all sports"

AD Dave:
John Candy No GIF by Laff

Reaction Score
IF……UConn can join a reconstituted PAC “whatever” for football only with NO exit fee should we subsequently leave…….fine. Stay flexible to depart for a better offer if/when the ACC or Big12 collapse or come calling.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
What is the Pac12 offering? They have no media contract. The Pac12 badly screwed up media negotiations prior to the mass exodus by all but the 2 remaining teams. They will not be a power conference with an automatic bid. I'm keeping an open mind but show me the money/media contract before I'm in. I know UConn can't wait forever but the Power 5 should still be the goal.
This gets UConn a guaranteed schedule of conference games so we don't end up with the gross hodgepodge we have this year with a bunch of teams we don't care about at home. At least the teams in the PAC are recognizable names. They also have money to offer and will have a TV deal. AD David Benedict has been able to pull a rabbit out of a hat with this CBSS TV deal. However, you can't imagine that will stay forever. The PAC will have a guaranteed TV partner that will pay more than we currently get. Finally, players will have something to play for, a conference championship. It also gets us in the door for a possible CFP bid should we have a magical season and become the top G5 school. We can't get that in our current state.

I doubt the B12 or ACC will hesitate offering us a spot because we're in the PAC if that happens. We just need to make sure we don't sign a long term stupid GOR.

Reaction Score
Oh, right. They could have organized 8 programs to vote to dissolve together, and based on experience you think they would have done that. I guess they didn't want 8 MWC programs because they wanted AAC programs, and now that the PAC effed it up, they are suing to eliminate the penalties. Good stuff.

I get that maybe they didnt want 8 MW, but take 1-2 more teams than desired and save $100M+? I'd take that deal.
And they are going to end up with 6 or 7 MW teams anyway.

I didnt understand what the PAC2 were doing last year in terms of not acting, but thought it made sense if the MWC buyout declined over time. Since that doesnt seem to be the case, no idea what they were thinking.

Reaction Score
I'm cautiously optimistic that even if the fb only PAC 12 invite does not come through, we'll find a spot in another conference. With the MW likely raiding CUSA, there will be spots open there. There might also be enough turnover that Delaware has second thoughts and a possible package deal to the MAC might come to fruition.

Reaction Score
I'm cautiously optimistic that even if the fb only PAC 12 invite does not come through, we'll find a spot in another conference. With the MW likely raiding CUSA, there will be spots open there. There might also be enough turnover that Delaware has second thoughts and a possible package deal to the MAC might come to fruition.
No one wants this.

huskidork

bailey
Reaction Score
UConn football teams travel schedule if we join is going to be atrocious, but on the other hand? money in a pretty competitive conference and I still think eventually a handful of American conference teams will be added

Reaction Score
We aren’t going to the MAC.

Reaction Score
This gets UConn a guaranteed schedule of conference games so we don't end up with the gross hodgepodge we have this year with a bunch of teams we don't care about at home. At least the teams in the PAC are recognizable names. They also have money to offer and will have a TV deal. AD David Benedict has been able to pull a rabbit out of a hat with this CBSS TV deal. However, you can't imagine that will stay forever. The PAC will have a guaranteed TV partner that will pay more than we currently get. Finally, players will have something to play for, a conference championship. It also gets us in the door for a possible CFP bid should we have a magical season and become the top G5 school. We can't get that in our current state.

I doubt the B12 or ACC will hesitate offering us a spot because we're in the PAC if that happens. We just need to make sure we don't sign a long term stupid GOR.
Just to clarify, I was speaking monetarily when I asked what the Pac12 had to offer.

Reaction Score
Zis,

If the PAC already has sufficient membership to remain a conference (the eight full members listed above), why would they consider adding another eight football only members?
With east coast affiliates the PAC can safely stay at 8 full members without unnecessary west coast dilution.

An affiliate East Coast division provides a few more benefits:
  • a conference title game
  • east coast media connection and coverage

Reaction Score
also, only Benedict knows what was truly said regarding BIG 12 issue behind the scenes, maybe it was a hard core never again NO or was it possibly a let see how you do after this season and we can address it after a three-peat in April. I genuinely believe there is so much more going on than all the rumors and "source" stuff.
very much so. There is so much we as fans and other outsiders do not know about and will probably never know about definitively.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom