New PAC-12 Forming | Page 24 | The Boneyard

New PAC-12 Forming

Reaction Score
Im sure the MWC teams had to buy themselves out of games to accommodate those 2.

What i will say is the MWC was always gonna be where they turned to get teams from, so why I enter into any agreement to not poach teams from them? The PAC from Larry Scott, to Kliavkoff to whatever president told them to reject 30 million and wanted them to get 50 a year, has been and continues to be run by absolute fools.

She was trying to her hands on more than that. Basically all of it.

I love the blowback. It’s actually pretty funny.

Reaction Score
It’s like “oh you want out PAC 13 buyout money best I can do is take the only four teams in your conference that anyone cares about and make our own conference”

Absolutely hilarious

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Why would they need to give us money when we have no buyout to pay?

Also Imagine being the Pac 12, you're adding one of the historically worst football programs for football only of the last 10 years and paying them a fair share of football revenue someday. Of course you're going to need to ask UConn for some concessions.

And you know what? In terms of helping their basketball get off the ground the it's in our best interests to do something reasonable like play a few OOC games.

It is cute how some of you think that UConn's W/L under Edsall 2.0 is so relevant to any decision anyone makes anywhere in the world. UConn as football-only has value to the MWC for two reasons: 1) brand value of a school that fans will recognize, and 2) UConn's potential to generate NIL and other revenue to compete at a high G5 level.

UConn's 5 year average attendance is similar or better than every other candidate for Pac 12 membership, and 2023 attendance is better than all of them. And that is with an independent schedule playing whatever detritus we can book. UConn would average over 30,000/game in the Pac 12, which would put us only behind Boise and Oregon State.

As for NIL, UConn is the only show in town in a mid-sized, wealthy state. We will always do fine there unless the athletic department blows it.

Reaction Score
It is cute how some of you think that UConn's W/L under Edsall 2.0 is so relevant to any decision anyone makes anywhere in the world. UConn as football-only has value to the MWC for two reasons: 1) brand value of a school that fans will recognize, and 2) UConn's potential to generate NIL and other revenue to compete at a high G5 level.

UConn's 5 year average attendance is similar or better than every other candidate for Pac 12 membership, and 2023 attendance is better than all of them. And that is with an independent schedule playing whatever detritus we can book. UConn would average over 30,000/game in the Pac 12, which would put us only behind Boise and Oregon State.

As for NIL, UConn is the only show in town in a mid-sized, wealthy state. We will always do fine there unless the athletic department blows it.
It’s cute and unsurprising that you don’t think it matters.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Also additional $$ for architectural design for Toscano Ice Forum. Maybe seating for the student deck.
That would be an improvement, though not as big and improvement as just using a sledgehammer to knock that random concrete block monstrosity down.

(And, yes, I am aware that the naming rights for that random concrete block monstrosity have been sold. I'm relatively confident that if you made those student section seats and renamed it the "X student section" the owner of those rights would be entirely content.)

Reaction Score
She was trying to her hands on more than that. Basically all of it.

I love the blowback. It’s actually pretty funny.
I don't see how anyone can fault her in any way for doing her job. Terms are terms. This is from the MWC media days over the summer:

"We are tasked with a fiduciary responsibility to the Mountain West and doing what's in the best interest of the league...Doing what's best for the Mountain West going forward and maintaining our FBS standing, our CFP access and our NCAA membership at the highest level."

Reaction Score
As Frank the Tank put it, the UConn brand being associated with the PAC is payment. I have no issue with a couple games but we’ve got to keep playing the early season tournaments. They really build the brand. We may have to scrap the cupcakes and offer to play Boise or Utah St in Storrs over Christmas break or something.
And maybe it wouldn't even be Boise or Utah State. They'd probably want marquee matchups and would give us SDSU and Gonzaga (if they join)

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
And maybe it wouldn't even be Boise or Utah State. They'd probably want marquee matchups and would give us SDSU and Gonzaga (if they join)
Agree. I think they'd have to work it out where it's the top 3-4 programs from the prior year get scheduled

Reaction Score
Live link to BOT Mtg if interested in the University sausage making:

Somethings up... Softball type questions from someone (missed who) about the rumors/current state of college athletics @ UConn to Dave Benedict just before breaking onto Executive Session.

Sounded like AD Dave will be needed during the Executive Session @ some point (could also be totally not related to conference realignment)

Reaction Score
UConn football teams travel schedule if we join is going to be atrocious, but on the other hand? money in a pretty competitive conference and I still think eventually a handful of American conference teams will be added

travel will only be atrocious 4 trips a year. I assume the team flew to North Carolina for the Duke game, they will fly to Rice, UAB, and most likey Cuse. One you get on a plane you get off where it lands. How many extra hours in the air are we talking about per year. 20 to 25?

Reaction Score
Somethings up... Softball type question from someone (missed who) about the rumors/current state of college athletics @ UConn to Dave Benedict just before breaking onto Executive Session.

Sounded like AD Dave will be needed during the Executive Session @ some point (could also be totally not related to conference realignment)
The way this goes for us ( think Charlie Brown) it will be about. Facilities upgrades vs PAc 12. Hope I’m wrong. But we’ve all been here before

Reaction Score
Why would they need to give us money when we have no buyout to pay?

Also Imagine being the Pac 12, you're adding one of the historically worst football programs for football only of the last 10 years and paying them a fair share of football revenue someday. Of course you're going to need to ask UConn for some concessions.

And you know what? In terms of helping their basketball get off the ground the it's in our best interests to do something reasonable like play a few OOC games.
i think you misread my post. I never said they should give us money to join their conference. I'm saying specifically BECAUSE we have no buyout for them to cover, that is a massssive "gift" we're ALREADY giving them. We don't OWE them bball games, because of that gift we just gave them.

I would rather save our BBall games for prestigious tournaments or one-off games with a Kansas or Michigan State, than have to muck it up with boise state and Wazzu....4 times a year? 2 away games??? get outta here, pac12 - no thanks, we are beyond that. If anything i think it could even hurt our basketball brand and recruiting, to have to commit 4 games a year to a glorified MW. we need to be careful before risking that kind of schedule downgrade, especially if the big east loses prestige and slots in the NCAA tournament - we were complaining last year that big east only had 3 teams in the dance.

Imagine a scenario where we (uconn mbb) perform good but not great and end up 3rd or 4th in the big east; we need our OOC schedule to buoy us up. if 4 of those games were against P12 teams, our resume is not being helped. We get skipped for the dance. BBall fans get pissed off, BBall boosters get pissed off, and football is crapped on because we sacrificed bball for our lame football team...once again.

If you disagree with that, no problem - just wanted to make sure it was clear what i was saying.

this is not big 12 situation. This is a UNIQUE opportunity to have our bball cake and eat our football cake too - we suck but they NEED bodies, and we are indeed a body, a CHEAP body, who is 7-8 against their incoming teams since Jim Mora got here - so a respectable, cheap, body. The table is evenly stacked, so leave basketball out of it. That is what i'm saying.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Somethings up... Softball type questions from someone (missed who) about the rumors/current state of college athletics @ UConn to Dave Benedict just before breaking onto Executive Session.

This Is Interesting Season 4 GIF by The Office

Reaction Score
I don't see how anyone can fault her in any way for doing her job. Terms are terms. This is from the MWC media days over the summer:

"We are tasked with a fiduciary responsibility to the Mountain West and doing what's in the best interest of the league...Doing what's best for the Mountain West going forward and maintaining our FBS standing, our CFP access and our NCAA membership at the highest level."

Sure. And somehow that means they are entitled to 100+M that had nothing to do with them? You guys are crazy.

When their conference craters like the WAC it will be her fault.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
How long do these executive sessions usually go for? Still haven't come back to publicly vote. :D

Reaction Score
i think you misread my post. I never said they should give us money to join their conference. I'm saying specifically BECAUSE we have no buyout for them to cover, that is a massssive "gift" we're ALREADY giving them. We don't OWE them bball games, because of that gift we just gave them.

I would rather save our BBall games for prestigious tournaments or one-off games with a Kansas or Michigan State, than have to muck it up with boise state and Wazzu....4 times a year? 2 away games??? get outta here, pac12 - no thanks, we are beyond that. If anything i think it could even hurt our basketball brand and recruiting, to have to commit 4 games a year to a glorified MW. we need to be careful before risking that kind of downgrade.

If you disagree with that, no problem - just wanted to make sure it was clear what i was saying.

this is not big 12 situation - we suck but they NEED bodies, and we are indeed a body, a CHEAP body, who is 7-8 against their incoming teams since Jim Mora got here - so a respectable, cheap, body. The table is evenly stacked, so leave basketball out of it. That is what i'm saying.

I didn’t misread it. It’s a win/win, but they are taking a risk by adding us.

We are a luxury. We don’t make them street legal as a conference because we aren’t a full member.

Reaction Score
Weren’t the statutes read off that the topic of executive session was just freedom of information act requests?
Probably. What can we even commit to right now? It would seem the PAC would need some specifics in order for us to commit.

Reaction Score
this is not big 12 situation
Wait, are you 100% confident the BoT executive session is not discussing a late developing, rejigged Big 12 opportunity? /s

As for basketball with Pac-X schools, ideally agree to no more than 4 games total per season (1 men’s H, 1 A; 1 women’s H, 1 A).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom