New court filings name former UConn standouts Rodney Purvis, Sterling Gibbs, Terry Larrier in Kevin Ollie case | Page 9 | The Boneyard

New court filings name former UConn standouts Rodney Purvis, Sterling Gibbs, Terry Larrier in Kevin Ollie case

C

Chief00

You need to spend time listening to answers as oppose to asking the same question that’s been answered satisfactory adnaseum I have said the gag order was a self imposed decision due to the litigation environment KO has created in his nosedive. My attorney suggested it wouldn’t be a bad idea for anyone in that orbit. Hence I self imposed it, at his suggestion.
Huh we already know what they accused him of.

How do you fault Ollie and his lawyers for wanting to interview the people whose stories were used to fire him?

If the documents are so embarrassing to Ollie why don’t they just release them?

You really have zero idea what has happened. The worse has not come out about KO and by a long shot. I hope it never does but if he keeps pushing this it’s bound to happen.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just tuning in here; been busy with the day job. Haven’t read the papers or the context of the argument you bolded, but iirc having a “just cause” provision in a state employment contract creates a property interest in your job to which due process rights attach. Perhaps that’s what he’s referring to?

I hate everything about everything to do with this situation so I’m not diving in otherwise; just trying to make sense of that comment.
Due process in this case would be following the agreed procedure under the contract, no?

C

Chief00

You said you had daughters college age at least a year ago, so you've got to me at least 40...unless you had kids youngish so to Facey you'd be an old person considering when this happened he'd be 18 or 19. But it's cool, I can just ask him about this, I'm sure he'll verify you're entire story since you've never made anything up on the internet. This also means that Facey will be able to confirm your identity.
I do have a daughter who now is college age but she wasn’t involved in this since it was a few years ago. Kentan should be able to confirm Dre’s plans changed.

C

Chief00

Hearst/CT Post/NH Register: UConn balks at attorney’s request to question witnesses during Ollie’s arbitration hearing

>>Parenteau estimates it could take at least two or three months to secure all of those depositions (videotaped or otherwise) as some may decline to do so and may need to be subpoenaed.

There has been some progress in the case, however. The sides have agreed on an arbitrator: Marcia Greenbaum of Massachusetts.<<

I doubt he would be doing all these out of state depositions for 2-3 months unless he has some fee compensation.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You need to spend time listening to answers as oppose to asking the same question that’s been answered satisfactory adnaseum I have said the gag order was a self imposed decision due to the litigation environment KO has created in his nosedive. My attorney suggested it wouldn’t be a bad idea for anyone in that orbit. Hence I self imposed it, at his suggestion.

You really have zero idea what has happened. The worse has not come out about KO and by a long shot. I hope it never does but if he keeps pushing this it’s bound to happen.

These are all state employees and we as taxpayers deserve to see what they are doing in their official
capacities.

Release everything yesterday.

Don’t worry I know what the big Ollie reveal is - yawn.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
What don't you get? UConn fired him for "just cause" and alleged that he was violating NCAA rules. If Ollie accepts that, he is finished as a college coach forever because he would be subject to a "show cause" order, meaning that another school could be assessed penalties simply for hiring him.

Ollie has no choice but to fight this, and if it was me, I would figuratively burn the university to the ground before I would consent to this. UConn has boxed itself into a corner, because the only way to a settlement would likely require an admission on their part that the "just cause" claim was false, which is not something UConn wants to do.

Fighting is one thing, but no college is going to hire him now and that's a fact. He is going to have to head to the NBA and maybe one day he can return to the college game. This makes him look bitter and greedy in the minds of many who follow UConn basketball.

I just wish this was over, that's all.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
What have I done here? Or was this already flowing before my TLDR article summary request?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I do have a daughter who now is college age but she wasn’t involved in this since it was a few years ago. Kentan should be able to confirm Dre’s plans changed.
Sounds like a plan

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Due process in this case would be following the agreed procedure under the contract, no?
I don't know but I don't think it's that simple. I haven't researched this issue in a long time and I'm not going to now, but my memory is that it depends on the circumstances and whether the process provides the employee with notice and a meaningful opportunity to be heard, which may involve the right to confront witnesses.

Again, I'm not talking about the merits of the argument; simply responding to your query about Constitutional rights for a government employee with a "just cause" provision in his or her contract. I *think* that's what he's referring to.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Fighting is one thing, but no college is going to hire him now and that's a fact. He is going to have to head to the NBA and maybe one day he can return to the college game. This makes him look bitter and greedy in the minds of many who follow UConn basketball.

I just wish this was over, that's all.

UConn should have thought of that before they took $10 million that was due to him and then accused him of doing something that would make it impossible for him to ever get another job. If UConn wanted to negotiate the buyout, it should have negotiated the buyout.

C

Chief00

UConn should have thought of that before they took $10 million that was due to him and then accused him of doing something that would make it impossible for him to ever get another job. If UConn wanted to negotiate the buyout, it should have negotiated the buyout.

Remember when AD Dave went to Houston for the game and met with KO on that trip? He ran into the same stone wall we see now.

Last edited by a moderator:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

How do you know they didn't try?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Remember when AD Dave went to Houston for the game and met with KO on that trip? He ran into the same stone wall we see now.

No idea if the implication is accurate, but one thing we do know is that KO is obstinate (served him well as a player, hurt as a coach). So it wouldn't shock me.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

It's not impossible. I mean, others have done it, Kelvin Sampson in our own league. We're talking about a coach with a resume that includes a NC and NBA playing career.

What I am curious about is the length of the "Show Cause" penalty that the NCAA will mete out. Looking at othe examples, I'd imagine it'd be about 5 years. The NCAA appears to be heavy handed in cases where the HC misleads them in their investigations, as Ollie did.

Presumably, a new school could hire KO, but simply accept whatever restrictions are placed on KO in the ruling. Given UCONN's sanctions, that would be a relatively easy hit to withstand if someone really wanted KO. That's what I'm not clear on though.

Reaction Score
It's not impossible. I mean, others have done it, Kelvin Sampson in our own league
Sampson wasn't fired, he resigned.

I don't have the contract in front of me, but I'd bet he was owed less money.

He wasn't accused of lying to the NCAA, and all of the infractions he committed are now perfectly permissable.

He was a coach that had a proven track record of winning in many places, and was 22-4 when he resigned at Indiana.

Again, I don't think these are comparable.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

I don't understand how the situation can be twisted to suggest that the school somehow "took" money from Ollie, as if they stole it from his pocket.

The contractual provisions seem to be getting lost in all this nonsense. Ollie signed what was essentially a zero tolerance for NCAA violations contract. There was ample evidence he violated the provisions of the contract. The NCAA investigated the allegations, and to compound the breach, Ollie lied to the school and the NCAA.

One can argue the school had some ethical or moral obligation to maybe offer Ollie some settlement amount at the outset, but they certainly had no legal obligation to under the circumstances. Yes, the alleged transgressions might be considered minor, but zero tolerance is what it is. Heck, the Indiana president put Bobby Knight under a zero tolerance rule and then appeared to set him up. That's not what happened here. It was a contractual provision right from the start. So far, nobody seems to know for sure whether he was offered anything or not, except for an assertion they offered him 2.5 million to settle the matter.

As for negotiating a buyout, this whole process is in effect an ongoing negotiation, which may or may not result in a settlement.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't understand how the situation can be twisted to suggest that the school somehow "took" money from Ollie, as if they stole it from his pocket.

The contractual provisions seem to be getting lost in all this nonsense. Ollie signed what was essentially a zero tolerance for NCAA violations contract. There was ample evidence he violated the provisions of the contract. The NCAA investigated the allegations, and to compound the breach, Ollie lied to the school and the NCAA.

One can argue the school had some ethical or moral obligation to maybe offer Ollie some settlement amount at the outset, but they certainly had no legal obligation to under the circumstances. Yes, the alleged transgressions might be considered minor, but zero tolerance is what it is. Heck, the Indiana president put Bobby Knight under a zero tolerance rule and then appeared to set him up. That's not what happened here. It was a contractual provision right from the start. So far, nobody seems to know for sure whether he was offered anything or not, except for an assertion they offered him 2.5 million to settle the matter.

As for negotiating a buyout, this whole process is in effect an ongoing negotiation, which may or may not result in a settlement.

I know everyone thinks Ollie will lose the lawsuit because there are so many legal experts on this board. Maybe UConn wins, maybe UConn loses. The part of this debate that is idiotic is that 90% of the posters in this thread think Ollie should just walk away from both $10 million and from ever coaching again because he lost too many games and that made UConn fans angry.

Reaction Score
I know everyone thinks Ollie will lose the lawsuit because there are so many legal experts on this board. Maybe UConn wins, maybe UConn loses. The part of this debate that is idiotic is that 90% of the posters in this thread think Ollie should just walk away from both $10 million and from ever coaching again because he lost too many games and that made UConn fans angry.
People don't realize he's really not going to get a job coaching college again, at least not for a long time. What UConn accused him of requires a show clause. There's pretty much no coach who has been hired with a similar situation looming over their hiring.

None of these people would lay down. They'd fight with whatever means they had.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I don't have the contract in front of me, but I'd bet he was owed less money.

He wasn't accused of lying to the NCAA, and all of the infractions he committed are now perfectly permissable.

He was a coach that had a proven track record of winning in many places, and was 22-4 when he resigned at Indiana.

The best part of the BY is the juxtaposition between people obsessed with saving $80 on their cable bill and people talking about how they would walk away from $10 million dollars.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
People don't realize he's really not going to get a job coaching college again, at least not for a long time. What UConn accused him of requires a show clause. There's pretty much no coach who has been hired with a similar situation looming over their hiring

Here's what I don't get.

The idea that UCONN gave Ollie a death penalty by firing 'for cause' doesn't seem accurate.

Ollie was getting 'show cause' penalty from the NCAA regardless.

This NCAA investigation was happening with or without UCONN's firing of Ollie, no?

Ollie lying/misleading the NCAA happened during the investigation.

It wouldn't matter whether the coach was fired 'regularly' or resigned or fired 'for cause' or what have you. The NCAA would offer up show cause no matter what, as that coach was not at the same school.

The 'show cause' penalties only exists to stop coaches from jumping from one school to the next and thereby avoiding penalty.

So Ollie is getting a 'show cause' penalty from the NCAA no matter how the school decided to proceed.

If he was fired and given his $10 million, he'd still be getting that 'show cause' penalty from the NCAA.

As a simple example, Sampson wasn't even fired. He resigned. He still got hit with 'show cause' by the NCAA.

So, you may argue that the 'for cause' firing by UCONN is unethical, but it's not what is hurting KO's future prospects.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score

I mean sure, if he didn't resign, he would have been fired.

This right here is the issue. And it is of Ollie's own making.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lower level school would take a runner on Ollie, with his NCAA championship, big conference experience and NBA pedigree. They can easily sell that his last few years were the result of unfortunate injuries.

Why does it matter how closely it compares? No situation is going to be exactly comparable from one coach to the next. There's too many variables.

The only thing that matters is whether a 'show cause' is a death sentence full stop. It's not. It can be, but in this instance, sans lawsuit, I'd highly doubt it.

But I get the feeling Ollie coaching in college in the future wasn't much of a priority for him.

Reaction Score
I think a lot of us have KO pegged wrongly. He turned down offers from at least 6 NBA teams for 5 yr 25-30mil. Prior to that, he chose an assistant coaching job at UConn over assistant coaching and front office jobs in the NBA. He chose to live in Connecticut over the lights of Los Angeles. He is someone that loved UConn and the state of Connecticut. I don’t think money is his motivation, he has sacrificed money in the past. What’s the bigger picture here? He came to this state in 1991 and has never left. Following JC was no small task and anyone after would be surely doomed. He thrived under the adverse conditions and penalties and won a National championship. Let’s show some respect and not look at this from our priveledged high horses. KO bleeds blue and we have to always remember that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom