New court filings name former UConn standouts Rodney Purvis, Sterling Gibbs, Terry Larrier in Kevin Ollie case | Page 7 | The Boneyard

New court filings name former UConn standouts Rodney Purvis, Sterling Gibbs, Terry Larrier in Kevin Ollie case

Reaction Score
That's a whole of bridges to burn KO.

I thought this was interesting:
Typically in arbitration cases, according to Parenteau, rules of evidence don’t apply and it is a more laid-back affair. But that doesn’t apply in this case, Parenteau argued, because Ollie was fired for “just cause” by the University and has a Constitutional right to defend himself.

Did someone just create a new Constitutional right for anyone fired for cause? That's nice.

If anyone wants to know why this case if dragging on there's exhibit 1.

Burning bridges? Allen is one of his best friends. I'm pretty sure Purvis, Akinjo and Gibbs love the guy. He gave Freeman a job. Wards isn't going to say anything bad about him, as far as he knows he won a Natty and was clean and he gave him an extension. It's already come out that bball alums don't like how he was treated. My God.

Reaction Score
I know he wants the $10 million, but this isn't helping him with a job after all of this is done. I can't see him coaching on the college level ever again. What university is going to hire someone who sued to get back pay after two losing seasons in a row and players leaving because of the coach.

I have to admit I am sad about this all happening, as I have always liked Kevin Ollie, but this taints that feeling now. I wish this was just over.
Your point would be valid if he actually got fired for his performance. If that would have happened then he would have gotten the balance of his contract or a much higher negotiated offer to leave. This did not happen and is the Rub period. There were a number of other individuals involved that contributed to this so to sit here and pile on Ollie, a fellow Alumni is extremely convenient and essentially relieves the rest of the contributors to this situation from accountability.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Burning bridges? Allen is one of his best friends. I'm pretty sure Purvis, Akinjo and Gibbs love the guy. He gave Freeman a job. Wards isn't going to say anything bad about him, as far as he knows he won a Natty and was clean and he gave him an extension. It's already come out that bball alums don't like how he was treated. My God.

He also promoted Glenn Miller to AHC. You have no idea what these players are going to say.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Who woulda thunk that a tenuous application of cause could cause such a scalitoshow.
no one ever says there wasn't cause
1553120964512.png

CL82

Reaction Score
Yeah everyone loves being deposed. It's a real party.
:rolleyes:

CL82

Reaction Score
Not cause

cause
Actually either is cause. NCAA violations are "just cause" under the contract. Do you understand the difference, because your posts kind of seem like you don't.

CL82

Reaction Score
Derp my name is CL82 and I dont understand the meaning of "tenuous."

Lol, well one of us doesn't. Here let me help.

1553122146252.png

Who woulda thunk that a tenuous a very weak or slight application of cause could cause such a scalitoshow.

I think all that time down in the Cesspool has significantly degraded your posting ability. Anyway, I hope that helps.

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Lol, well one of us doesn't. Here let me help.

View attachment 41148

Right so did I say there was no cause?

Put on your thinking cap and use the aid of that definition you found on the interwebz ( proud of you by the way! You are making progress! ) and read that sentence again now knowing the definition of tenuous.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Today has been a freaking beautiful day. The new ESPN deal (especially the term), Wholly leaving football and now this. Well that's three... hopefully that's it.

Imagine if we get the two surprises we were promised months ago by midnight!

CL82

Reaction Score
Right so did I say there was no cause?

Put on your thinking cap and use the aid of that definition you found on the interwebz ( proud of you by the way! You are making progress! ) and read that sentence again now knowing the definition of tenuous.

God the cesspool has really ruined you but, for old times sake, I'll do some remedial work with you.

Let's take this one thing at time.
First question:
Yes or no , do you believe that UConn had just cause under the contract to fire Ollie.

I'll wait. Hopefully you actually manage a still serious answer. I guess we'll see.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
KO will be okay financially, he is eligible for the highest NBA pension (200k/yr) for life with full health benefits if he starts taking it in about 10 yrs. This is about defending his reputation. DB went nuclear and Kevin is fighting back. I am glad that he is doing it. This will not end well for UCONN or KO, DB will be gone by next yr. I do expect a settlement soon with money somewhere in between. Whatever happen to the Chief's benefactor with the $10million in his pocket

"Kevin" lol.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
God the cesspool has really ruined you but, for old times sake, I'll do some remedial work with you.

Let's take this one thing at time.
First question:
Yes or no , do you believe that UConn had just cause under the contract to fire Ollie.

I'll wait. Hopefully you actually manage a still serious answer. I guess we'll see.

Already answered.

pj

Reaction Score
You can see KO's logic -- if he has a $200k/yr NBA pension, and if his best job from here forward is assistant coach for $300k/year, then he's only doubling his income by working, and if he would work 15 more years (he's 46 now), that's under $5 million -- you can see why he'd think the potential jackpot from suing would be as big as 15-20 years of full-time labor, and that he might want not value his reputation that highly as it only gets him an opportunity to work.

But, it would have been better to take $2.5 million if that was available. He's headed toward getting $0.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What don't you get? UConn fired him for "just cause" and alleged that he was violating NCAA rules. If Ollie accepts that, he is finished as a college coach forever because he would be subject to a "show cause" order, meaning that another school could be assessed penalties simply for hiring him.

Ollie has no choice but to fight this, and if it was me, I would figuratively burn the university to the ground before I would consent to this. UConn has boxed itself into a corner, because the only way to a settlement would likely require an admission on their part that the "just cause" claim was false, which is not something UConn wants to do.

Yeah I’m not sure how 90% of the people here don’t get they can’t claim ‘for cause’ and offer a settlement that undermines that position.

Reaction Score
Yeah everyone loves being deposed. It's a real party.
:rolleyes:

No one said anyone loves it or it's a party. It's typically not a big deal unless you did something wrong. I'm pretty sure Ray Allen is itching to help Ollie's cause and clear himself from the "violation" he is involved in.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

Typically in arbitration cases, according to Parenteau, rules of evidence don’t apply and it is a more laid-back affair. But that doesn’t apply in this case, Parenteau argued, because Ollie was fired for “just cause” by the University and has a Constitutional right to defend himself.

Did someone just create a new Constitutional right for anyone fired for cause? That's nice.

Ollie's attorneys are blithering idiots if they think they will prevail on the merits at an arbitration hearing. Their only hope is to engage in dilatory tactics designed to drag the pre-hearing process out for as long as they possibly can. They're hoping the school offers them a settlement, but I don't think UCONN has any intention of doing that now. They're trying to outlast UCONN, and it's not going to work.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Just tuning in here; been busy with the day job. Haven’t read the papers or the context of the argument you bolded, but iirc having a “just cause” provision in a state employment contract creates a property interest in your job to which due process rights attach. Perhaps that’s what he’s referring to?

I hate everything about everything to do with this situation so I’m not diving in otherwise; just trying to make sense of that comment.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Just tuning in here; been busy with the day job. Haven’t read the papers or the context of the argument you bolded, but iirc having a “just cause” provision in a state employment contract creates a property interest in your job to which due process rights attach. Perhaps that’s what he’s referring to?

I hate everything about everything to do with this situation so I’m not diving in otherwise; just trying to make sense of that comment.

Thank God a good lawyer checked in.

C

Chief00

Fancy LawLawyer:

Mr Chief Double Zero is it?

On the night of February 13th, 2014 were you in the company of Andre Drummond and some UConn - Judge I apologize for the language - “”?

Chief00:

Yes

Fancy LawLawyer:

Your honor I would like to submit people’s evidence 6 - a photograph taken of Mr Drummond on the night in question in Oakland, Michigan.

Court: Gasps, chaos ensues much gavel banging

We had plans, miscommunication. Ask Facey as a witness.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom