New court filings name former UConn standouts Rodney Purvis, Sterling Gibbs, Terry Larrier in Kevin Ollie case | Page 19 | The Boneyard

New court filings name former UConn standouts Rodney Purvis, Sterling Gibbs, Terry Larrier in Kevin Ollie case

Reaction Score
There are several Universities out there that spend a lot of money on talent and haven’t won a national championship. It’s not an easy task.
Player development !! KO had the guards from day one as assistant. He helped JC with C’sand O’s. Kemba had his best year 2011 ironically when KO joins the staff..

Shabazz career took off when KO became Coach after a sub par sophomore season ! Boatright , Daniel Hamilton , DeAndre Daniels , Amida was ranked 250's ect.. All these players got better under his leadership!

On top of that they got better in the classroom! Where it mattered the most.. APR and Graduation rate! Better Men ..

I watched the 9 games with KO coaching and AG playing. Team was much superior than with DH coaching and AG playing, after many more games. Too much comparing of DH with healthy, more experienced players to KO with injured/ineligible less-experienced players. Why would any top coach want to coach where injuries equate to his creating a mess?

Reaction Score
Not like the mess Ollie made after a few years that left us bereft of players after some left.

One player left because he didn't feel confident and needed an extra year to learn how to use his 2 surgically-repaired knees. Another's plan was to play one year behind Larrier and then become THE MAN. Larrier's injury messed up that plan. Many people on here wanted the third player to leave. None was of KO's making.

Reaction Score
Good god lady, the guy mentioned that he's been known to make some wise investments and I was curious about what he might have invested in. Is that ok with you? Go take a walk or something.
With all the crap you've given me over the past year or so, maybe you need to take a walk

Reaction Score
With all the crap you've given me over the past year or so, maybe you need to take a walk
I'm not the one who got triggered by an innocuous question. You can just admit that you overreacted and we can move on. It's not that big of a deal.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
One player left because he didn't feel confident and needed an extra year to learn how to use his 2 surgically-repaired knees. Another's plan was to play one year behind Larrier and then become THE MAN. Larrier's injury messed up that plan. Many people on here wanted the third player to leave. None was of KO's making.

"None was of KO's making."

And we know this how?

All I remember is the story about Ollie telling Jackson to "get in the gym" when he asked Ollie what he could do to improve. Jackson's dad apparently referenced that conversation as a tipping point.

All I know is three players who could have eventually helped us are gone, which shows good judgment on their part. I probably wouldn't have hung around either, if I were them.

Reaction Score
Shabazz career took off when KO became Coach after a sub par sophomore season ! Boatright , Daniel Hamilton , DeAndre Daniels , Amida was ranked 250's ect.. All these players got better under his leadership!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Come on. When one guy transfers, fine. That might be his thing. But three in one year? With noted problems with the coach slipping out in the media?

On top of that, if KO had stayed this year, there was reportedly another exodus in the works.

All that's on the coach.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

The school extended an enforceable contract. KO accepted. But both parties have to adhere to it. Unfortunately, KO didn't. That's how contracts work.

There were a lot of people responsible for this situation across the board; plenty of blame to go around. Why all of the vitriol toward's Kevin Ollie? Why let every other individual responsible for the situation off of the hook? What's up with that man? This entire situation was preventable. There were a team of folks being paid really good money to make sure this did not happen.

Firstly, Vitriol probably extends from KO running the ship aground.

That said, you've no idea if this was preventable. You have no idea if there was a settlement offer and/if KO was willing to take it or not. As far as I know, no one does.

Fire the guy for performance and pay him whatever money is due him per his contract. If broke ass Connecticut doesn't have the money or can't find the money then you don't fire him. It's the reason you have a damn contract. This would have been a tough deal for our University but we just would have needed to deal with it.

Hell no. Do we care more about the program or more about KO? I care mostly about the former myself. And KO did a lot of damage to the former.

Now I wish KO well, but the program is more important to me. If what we see playing out in public is the price to be paid, then so be it. The program is in a better spot today than it was a year ago. And I'm good with that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Exactly! Well, unless he cheats and his contract says that cheating terminates the contract. Then he is not entitled to remainder of his contract.

Moral of the story? Don't suck at your job, but if you suck at your job don't do things are grounds for termination of your contract. That's a combo that gets you fired 10 times out of 10.

CL82

Reaction Score
Does anyone wonder if DMIL and Alexa and the rest of the Ollie brigade that only appear after an an article are just one person? I wonder if he/she realizes how much bad will is generated by reminding us the guy drove the program into the ground, he cheated, lied about it to the NCAA and his bosses and he still wants to get paid $10M for not working?

C

Chief00

I've got an idea. Why don't all the Ollie apologists and defenders get together amongst yourselves and start a GoFundMe page for contributions to his buyout? When it hits 10.7 million $$$, give him the money. Your time would be better spent doing that instead of trying to defend him here. Mind you this is a man who made upwards of 30 million $$$ since 1995 (an average of over 1 million per year), but now is apparently flat broke, downtrodden, and deserves our sympathy.

Get busy with that, good luck to all of you, and let us all know when you hit that 10.7 target number.

Great idea!

C

Chief00

Does anyone wonder if DMIL and Alexa and the rest of the Ollie brigade that only appear after an an article are just one person? I wonder if he/she realizes how much bad will is generated by reminding us the guy drove the program into the ground, he cheated, lied about it to the NCAA and his bosses and he still wants to get paid $10M for not working?
It could be his PR or legal team’s work ??

CL82

Reaction Score
It could be his PR or legal team’s work ??
God I hope not. If so, they are an even bigger mess than I thought.

C

Chief00

Lets go point by point here...

Kemba also was on the college squad that played against the USA world championship in training camp so him practicing against Westbrook, Rose, Curry, and Billups probably had more to do with that than KO.

Shabazz did get much better but how much of that was due to KO or was it the fact that he played better when he had a chip on his shoulder.

Boatright I love Ryan he was all heart and was super talented but I would argue he wasn't much better from his Junior to Senior year.

DeAndre Daniels, did get better but it wasn't by leaps and bounds some of that may just be because he got more opportunities.

Brimah was the exact same player he was when he was a Freshman.

Hamilton his skills were solid when he came here solid when he left.

You failed to mention Purvis, Facey, Nolan, Larrier, Enoch, Durham, Jackson, either didn't get better or transfered out of the program.

You mentioned graduation rate if only you won championships for good academics as long as the APR is good I think most would agree we would rather win above all else.

You also failed to mention that we had more 20 point losses in his tenure ever and a team that quit most games. We all love KO but to defend him after the last two years is just crazy.

Don’t get me going on the APR nonsense!

C

Chief00

God I hope not. If so, they are an even bigger mess than I thought.

The things they were saying around last season’s Big East tournament defied comprehension if you closely followed the situation. Unfortunately, many people there didn’t. When Chief explained the real situation to them, they were shocked since there was a huge gulf between reality and what KO’s team was telling people - I assume to create a media narrative.
If they were doing that to keep KO employable at the college level, that success now is questionable too.

Last edited by a moderator:

UConnNick

Reaction Score

I think it's all part of a vast right wing conspiracy. Where is "Conspiracy Kitty" when we need him the most? :confused:

Reaction Score
It is defies logic if these folks are not Ollie friends family and allies. Blame is always pointed at others, responsibly absent, no ability to move on from the day he was fired. The lawsuit carries with it as a prerequisite the belief that Ollie did almost no wrong & therefore keeps his side stuck in a box that somehow only a massive amount of money can cure. How does that help anyone other than those sharing in an ever more distant windfall? The bizarre one sided-ness of the supporters posts only makes sense in that contex. Legit questions never answered, no culpability, what aboutism, and obfuscation as if we are in a court. It is inexplicable.

C

Chief00

It is defies logic if these folks are not Ollie friends family and allies. Blame is always pointed at others, responsibly absent, no ability to move on from the day he was fired. The lawsuit carries with it as a prerequisite the belief that Ollie did almost no wrong & therefore keeps his side stuck in a box that somehow only a massive amount of money can cure. How does that help anyone other than those sharing in an ever more distant windfall? The bizarre one sided-ness of the supporters posts only makes sense in that contex. Legit questions never answered, no culpability, what aboutism, and obfuscation as if we are in a court. It is inexplicable.

If there are hangers on waiting for that $10 million windfall, that’s a sad state of affairs. I get it, KO was used to a fairly lavished life style and once exposed to that it’s hard for some folks to back away from it. This may put added pressure on him to stay the course, even if that course is currently in a free fall off a cliff.
Where does KO go for sound advice and reality these days? I hope that place exists in his current orbit? If not, I hope that person steps forward soon.
I am not qualified to critique legal strategy, but on the street level it doesn’t seem to be working, especially when one looks at the full picture.

Reaction Score
Whaler is Ollie's father...
26ufdipQqU2lhNA4g.gif

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Some good points, but you should really back away from the "poor results means the cause provision is triggered" thing.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
If there are hangers on waiting for that $10 million windfall, that’s a sad state of affairs. I get it, KO was used to a fairly lavished life style and once exposed to that it’s hard for some folks to back away from it. This may put added pressure on him to stay the course, even if that course is currently in a free fall off a cliff.
Where does KO go for sound advice and reality these days? I hope that place exists in his current orbit? If not, I hope that person steps forward soon.
I am not qualified to critique legal strategy, but on the street level it doesn’t seem to be working, especially when one looks at the full picture.

Nope. Since his legal team has absolutely nothing under the law to make its case, they've resorted to Hollywood-style theatrics in the desperate hope it will score them some points in the court of public opinion. That strategy has clearly blown up in their faces. Almost nobody is going to feel any sympathy for a multi-millionaire who flucked up on the job. You really can't blame his lawyers for trying these tactics, though. Ollie has given them nowhere else to go.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
That strategy has clearly blown up in their faces. Almost nobody is going to feel any sympathy for a multi-millionaire who flucked up on the job.

I'm more sympathetic to your POV, but that strategy did work off-BY.

Reaction Score
Where are we with UConn being racist? That seemed to disappear quickly

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom